Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've never actually played a female character in Baldur's Gate. Is it really capped at 18/50 or is that just a thing in PnP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

definitely not a thing in bg

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Jay Rust posted:

definitely not a thing in bg

Yeah, Shar-teel has a strength of 18/73 if I recall, and a female PC can have a strength of up to 18/00 unless they have some sort of modifier.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah gender only affects romance options, nothing mechanical unless I missed something

Of course, this is actually a brutal debuff because before the enhanced edition a female characters only option was anomen :whitewater:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I've not read the pertinent player's handbook, but if I'm not mistaken it even more or less goes "this is heroic fantasy, there's no thing like arbitrary penalties to a female character's strength. Anyway, female characters have a max strength of 18/50, while men have a max of 18/00" without batting an eye.
Yeah if there is one thing lovely gamers can agree on, it is that your fantasy realm can have world-shattering magical duels and gods walking among you and colossal monsters tearing cities apart but AIN'T NO WAY a woman is as strong as a man, how would that be realistic

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

They ditched the gendered poo poo years ago though. The gross racial determinism stuck around until only the last few years.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah gender only affects romance options, nothing mechanical unless I missed something

Of course, this is actually a brutal debuff because before the enhanced edition a female characters only option was anomen :whitewater:

EE keeper / mods to the rescue.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dreamsicle posted:

How do I deal with Beholders/Gauths? I'm doing the Eyeless cult quest and I'm just getting shredded by them. I tried to put all my buffs and silence them but I keep getting my party wiped.

Two ways.

1) Use the shield that others mentioned

2) Have a high level wizard or cleric in your party summon an undead army via animate dead. At high enough level (13+ iirc off the top of my head?) you will summon skeleton warriors. These have like 90% magic resistance. Beholders are all but helpless against them and they'll chop them to bits. Summon them, buff them with haste or whatever else, and hide your party and then send them in. You will need a party member or a wizard eye spell to reveal the fog of war as summons can't do that by themselves.

I play with SCS a lot and SCS nerfs the shield so I've gotten used to sending my skeleton army to handle business. Beholders don't fight fair, so I don't either :v:.

On default one guy with the shield can handle business though. But if you want the skeleton army can also be nice.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
From what I remember, women of all races having lower strength caps than men was a FIRST edition thing, abolished by the second. The Gold Box games based on 1E AD&D still faithfully replicate it, along with racial level limits in the single digits for classes other than thief.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alpha3KV posted:

From what I remember, women of all races having lower strength caps than men was a FIRST edition thing, abolished by the second. The Gold Box games based on 1E AD&D still faithfully replicate it, along with racial level limits in the single digits for classes other than thief.

It was mostly abolished for the standard demihuman races but still existed for the unusual "humanoids." For drow in particular it (stats being different by sex or gender) extended through 3.0.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 28, 2023

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Alpha3KV posted:

Also, from what remember from reading the first gold box game manual, I believe women had naturally lower intelligence and higher charisma in 1st edition. and it came with some smarmy rear end line about the "fairer sex". Fuckin nerds.

Blatant sexism aside, I'm thinking about why the strength score thing is so weird, and I'm thinking maybe it was to limit or control the dice outcomes for strength. Like, hypotherically, if you're rolling up an entire campaigns worth of NPCs and you want to skew the distribution of strength scores for everyone. Although, exactly why you'd want to do that and also why only specifically strength, I have no idea. Hmm Gygax did often make a bunch of weird rules for sure in the interest of making certain things rare, that's why Elf, and Dwarf levelling was the way it was I think...

Surely Gygax must have been interviewed about this before... well not that I could find but I did find this video that Matt Coville from his history of DnD talking about it
He gets to the introduction of the weird strength rules at about 28min mark. Sounds like it may have been a weirdly thought out balance patch to keep fighters competitive with wizards in a way that wizards couldn't be, by hitting things really hard.

EDIT: Aha and there's a quote from Gygax in the video about why he chose it. Something about making fighters more viable. Well there you go.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 28, 2023

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The only DM I knew that would run AD&D campaigns wouldn't let anyone have a character with a stat at 18.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Suspicious posted:

The only DM I knew that would run AD&D campaigns wouldn't let anyone have a character with a stat at 18.

Enjoy your perfectly curated power fantasy. No, no. Not like that.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
So like an idiot back when I last played BG2 I installed some mods and did not back up my install folder. Oops. I did so with BG1EE & SoD but not BG2EE. is there any way to fix this? Here's what my BG1EE folder looks like:

And here's my BG2EE folder:

Because it's been over a year since I played BG1 and BG2 I sort of want to "take everything back to zero", or at the least make it so I have a clean install folder I can copy and stash somewhere else on my computer. Is anyone able to help? :(

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

?

Uninstall the games, delete their steam folders, then reinstall?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

:doh:

That did it. I'd tried reinstalling and the addons were still there, I just never tried uninstalling, deleting the leftover folder, and reinstalling. Silly me! Thank you!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Torquemada posted:

Enjoy your perfectly curated power fantasy. No, no. Not like that.

Eh, he was fairly cool. He'd start us at level 3 and would do away with some things that he deemed were bullshit like system shock rolls. As a frequent fighter player however, I never got to experience a 18/something strength + grandmastery crit.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Does anybody know why BG2 has hardware acceleration (like with the fog of war) and IWD2 doesn't? I thought IWD2 was released after BG2, but I reckon it is using that custom Infinity Engine and may not have 3D acceleration built in.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vargatron posted:

Does anybody know why BG2 has hardware acceleration (like with the fog of war) and IWD2 doesn't? I thought IWD2 was released after BG2, but I reckon it is using that custom Infinity Engine and may not have 3D acceleration built in.
IWD2 not only had hardware acceleration, it has special 3d rendered spell effects.

However it used super special janky libraries and using any graphics card newer than what was contemporary requires turning off hardware rendering or finding a DirectX DLL wrapper for compatibility.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

zedprime posted:

IWD2 not only had hardware acceleration, it has special 3d rendered spell effects.

However it used super special janky libraries and using any graphics card newer than what was contemporary requires turning off hardware rendering or finding a DirectX DLL wrapper for compatibility.

Oh so it's possible to get non-dithered fog or war effects? It's not a make or break thing for me, just a curiosity. Maybe the GOG version of the game I have already has the DLL wrappers pre installed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vargatron posted:

Oh so it's possible to get non-dithered fog or war effects? It's not a make or break thing for me, just a curiosity. Maybe the GOG version of the game I have already has the DLL wrappers pre installed.
Yeah, GOG has a very basic compatibility DLL that comes with. It doesn't restore it back to the glory of 2002 but makes it download and play from them.

Here are my notes from last time I set up IWD2 for full glory mode:

zedprime posted:

Well this discussion made me reinstall IWD2 which is something I was convinced I had sworn off in the past.

I think everybody knows how to install tweakpacks to their liking in 2022 so I figured I'd report out on my DDraw finding. I am using CnC DDraw which seems to have very useful configuration screen compared to just chucking in a DLL and praying that I was used to. Working well for me with it forcing windowed and getting the most 2002 like spell effects I can remember compared to the last time I tried which was probably a decade ago. Only downside is that in windowed, dropping window focus doesn't drop UI focus so web browsing is kind of out of the picture at which point windowed mode just lets me have my own letterboxing wallpaper.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks for the link. Surprisingly my PC was rendering the game correctly with the GOG DirectDraw API, but the CnC version fixed mouse capture in windowed mode! The spell effects do look better I believe.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

If I was able to kill Thaxll'ssillyia, will I be able to kill Firkraag?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Firkraag has better offensive stats, a bit more HP and you don't get the drop on him. His dragon breath is easier to protect against (fire).

Unless you're playing ironman I'd say give it a shot and see how it goes. Don't try to tank him though unless you're confident he's about to die. He hits like a truck: THAC0 of -15, STR of 25 and 3 attacks per round. He can also haste himself.

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 31, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Suspicious posted:

Firkraag has better offensive stats, a bit more HP and you don't get the drop on him. His dragon breath is easier to protect against (fire).

Unless you're playing ironman I'd say give it a shot and see how it goes. Don't try to tank him though unless you're confident he's about to die. He hits like a truck: THAC0 of -15, STR of 25 and 3 attacks per round. He can also haste himself.

You can get the drop on him. Just don't choose to fight him and tell him you will be back later then go up stairs and fight the mage. After that you can go and fight him any time you want and prebuff / place traps as much as desired.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dreamsicle posted:

If I was able to kill Thaxll'ssillyia, will I be able to kill Firkraag?

Post-Underdark, I assume? His wing buffets are annoying and make it hard to just face-tank him, but at that point in the game it's not exactly necessary to try and Chromatic :orb: him to death either. Give it a go a couple times, get a feel for what he does, and what your party can do against it. He's not a super-boss by that point.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Flowing Thot posted:

You can get the drop on him. Just don't choose to fight him and tell him you will be back later then go up stairs and fight the mage. After that you can go and fight him any time you want and prebuff / place traps as much as desired.

Doesn't work for me. He turns hostile when I start casting buffs and other things that don't target him. The black dragon doesn't because of the ward stone.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Rappaport posted:

Post-Underdark, I assume? His wing buffets are annoying and make it hard to just face-tank him, but at that point in the game it's not exactly necessary to try and Chromatic :orb: him to death either. Give it a go a couple times, get a feel for what he does, and what your party can do against it. He's not a super-boss by that point.

Pre-Underdark but I did a lot of quests. I think I just got really lucky with the chaos/fear spell only affecting 2 of my party and getting a 42 damage crit.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Suspicious posted:

Doesn't work for me. He turns hostile when I start casting buffs and other things that don't target him. The black dragon doesn't because of the ward stone.

Are you using any mods (SCS for example)? I've never had him behave like that.

e: even if you can't lay traps, you can still pre-buff upstairs

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dreamsicle posted:

Pre-Underdark but I did a lot of quests. I think I just got really lucky with the chaos/fear spell only affecting 2 of my party and getting a 42 damage crit.

You can kill him at that point too, with or without "cheese" like a high-level :orb:. But it's also OK to leave him for later in the game, unless you really want a special thing for a paladin before going forward.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

why tf do i start out in the northwest corner of the temple district when traveling there despite it being the most northwest area of the map

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

You should throw a bunch of lower resistance spells into a sequencer and then hit him with a polymorph spell.

Then the real fight against Firkraag, Lord of Squirrels begins. :unsmigghh:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DeadButDelicious posted:

You should throw a bunch of lower resistance spells into a sequencer and then hit him with a polymorph spell.

Then the real fight against Firkraag, Lord of Squirrels begins. :unsmigghh:

I guess he counts as a Deranged Hermit, sure...

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I was able to kill Firkraag though it was harder than Thaxll. I had to reload several times before trying to cheese it by sending Yoshimo up there to get debuffed while everyone else stayed back. Even then if he managed to hit my mage casting Breach I was going to lose. If I install SCS, I'm going to leave the whole dungeon until after Underdark.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mr. Baps posted:

Are you using any mods (SCS for example)? I've never had him behave like that.

e: even if you can't lay traps, you can still pre-buff upstairs

No, it's a thing in the base game, or at least the Enhanced Editions. Firkraag and a handful of other bosses are scripted to detect if you're gearing up to attack them, and turn hostile in response.

I've no idea how it works, though. Summons in particular are liable to set them off, but Firkraag was perfectly okay with me laying a huge pile of traps at his feet the last time I saw him. And I'm pretty sure you can cast all the buffs and summons you like if you just stay out of his field of vision.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

And I'm pretty sure you can cast all the buffs and summons you like if you just stay out of his field of vision.

I can confirm this is true.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Dreamsicle posted:

I was able to kill Firkraag though it was harder than Thaxll. I had to reload several times before trying to cheese it by sending Yoshimo up there to get debuffed while everyone else stayed back. Even then if he managed to hit my mage casting Breach I was going to lose. If I install SCS, I'm going to leave the whole dungeon until after Underdark.

The True Cheese is buffing out of his vision, then launching a thousand Cloudkills while he's still off screen.

EDIT: Oh, might not work in SCS I guess.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Web and Cloudkill get a lot of mileage in IWD1 and 2 for me.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

How should I play a Fighter->Mage DC? I want to do it for my next playthrough since it seems fun but it feels more complicated than just putting Holy Might, Armor of Faith, Righteous Magic, having a mage cast improved haste on you and then just shredding everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The big advantage of F->M is being a fighter who can cast Stoneskin and Mislead. And don’t dual class later than level 7, it’s not worth it.