Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Between work, working out, and my latest spurt of determination to Finally Clean My drat Apartment its been difficult prepping for the game I DM, but every once in a while I get some time and it still surprises me (1) How long sessions actually take, 4 hours sounds like a long time but a single side quest can easily take up the entire time! (2) Even a little prep can help immensely, like even just having a vague outline of "NPC A needs help repairing his X, they need to talk to person B who has the repair supplies, but they were stolen last week by bandits, so they have to now find the bandits and can either talk them into giving it back or taking them back with force." and this relatively simple sequence in the hands of the players actually results in a much more well paced and fun session then constantly ad hoc'ing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Depends on the group, but my groups can often take 4 hours to handle 3 encounters. Sometimes I wish they'd go faster but whatevs, we're all having fun :). My notes/prep for the session is usually 1 single-sided page of handwritten lists with combat/explo maps on the side. Something like:
  • Loretta, aggressively selling suspicious meat (arrow to map location on players' path)
    • Female orc with red and white heart bandana
    • Butcher, carries knife
    • Always cheerful
    • Player 1's father owes gambling debts to her
  • 43 black bears on river sent by Duke Evilus (17,200 XP, MM318), poison claws (diagram of floating logs on combat map)
You really don't need much notes at all to have a fun session, for sure.

Maybe more related to your points, having NPC ideas in advance is important as they are hard to do well ad lib. I like having Name / Distinct Visual Features / Goal / Chief Emotion ready. For whatever reason it works for me. Better improv DMs can probably do more with less.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah NPC's would definitely be a great thing to have preloaded.

One thing I like about some of the Inkarnate maps I've been grabbing off of pinterest as well is they often have interesting landmarks I can create sites of interests for either side quests or locations for the main story quest (currently running a module which I'm altering to fit my world).

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Depends on the group, but my groups can often take 4 hours to handle 3 encounters. Sometimes I wish they'd go faster but whatevs, we're all having fun :). My notes/prep for the session is usually 1 single-sided page of handwritten lists with combat/explo maps on the side. Something like:
  • Loretta, aggressively selling suspicious meat (arrow to map location on players' path)
    • Female orc with red and white heart bandana
    • Butcher, carries knife
    • Always cheerful
    • Player 1's father owes gambling debts to her
  • 43 black bears on river sent by Duke Evilus (17,200 XP, MM318), poison claws (diagram of floating logs on combat map)
You really don't need much notes at all to have a fun session, for sure.

Maybe more related to your points, having NPC ideas in advance is important as they are hard to do well ad lib. I like having Name / Distinct Visual Features / Goal / Chief Emotion ready. For whatever reason it works for me. Better improv DMs can probably do more with less.

also bear in mind that your stock NPC can be modular. Prep a weapon shop guy and they don't go to the weapon shop? That's your general store guy.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I got another question about a spell, this time Sending. You have to be familiar with the target of the spell, but the target “recognizes you as the sender if it knows you.”

How can you be “familiar” with someone if they don’t also know you?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

E-flat posted:

I got another question about a spell, this time Sending. You have to be familiar with the target of the spell, but the target “recognizes you as the sender if it knows you.”

How can you be “familiar” with someone if they don’t also know you?

Are you familiar with Taylor Swift? Does she know you?

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Toshimo posted:

Are you familiar with Taylor Swift? Does she know you?

I know of her, but I don’t know if that qualifies as familiar. In the scrying spell, it counts ‘familiar’ as ‘you know the target well,’ above the levels of ‘you’ve heard of them’ and ‘you’ve met them.’

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
With Sending, you have to be familiar with the target in the sense that you know who they are. The purpose is to keep you from casting it and saying "I want to target whoever it was that committed this robbery." Consider it more like sending mail. You need to be familiar enough with someone to know their name and location in order to send them a letter. If you don't put a return address on the letter, the recipient would have to be able to identify who sent them the letter in order to respond in kind. If you are looking to get a response, you should start your Sending message with "this is <name> from <party>" so that they can know who they are attempting to respond to.

Since Scrying is more like spying, you need to know a little more about the target - approximately where they are, what they look like, etc. WOTC should not have used the term familiar for both spells but Sending is "you know of them" and Scrying is "you know unique things about them."

You can send a fan letter to Taylor Swift's PO Box and she can respond if you provide the info to do so. You cannot effectively spy on Taylor Swift without having a lot more information.

Zurreco fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 30, 2023

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
In this one group I’m in, the DM treats sending like a telepathic phone call. But the DM in this new one wants the sender to personally be familiar with the target, and the other player(s) agree. Kind of sucks in comparison.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Sounds like your DM is boring. Before you cast Sending, ask if your PC knows enough to qualify for success. If they say no, ask what type of info would meet that threshold. If they can't give a solid answer, tell the DM you are instead casting Sending to contact a previously unmentioned close friend who happens to be a private eye in the town of your target and has a dossier on everyone in the region. If they poo poo that as well, tell the DM you are swapping out Sending for Skywrite and start sending messages to the whole loving town.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Zurreco posted:

With Sending, you have to be familiar with the target in the sense that you know who they are. The purpose is to keep you from casting it and saying "I want to target whoever it was that committed this robbery."

“You’re out there somewhere beer baron, and I’ll find you.”
“No you won’t.”

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My players have never even tried to use sending on someone they didn't know

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

change my name posted:

My players have never even tried to use sending on someone they didn't know

Critical Role does it all the time.

Personally I wouldn't allow it either. Like you need to have seen them at least, ideally spoken to them.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

It reads like it should be allowable for anybody you know of. It's kind of like getting an emergency alert directly in your head, which would honestly be very annoying if I wasn't familiar with the sender. I doubt I would help somebody unless they were very convincing, and that's pretty hard in 25 words.

I mean imagine just sitting on your computer and then something interrupts your thought stream, it's incredibly intrusive to a character that wasn't expecting it. Any character that is famous enough to receive spurious sending spells would probably have some kind of way to block it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Incredibly stupid way to make the rules for this: Sending is now literally just a CODEC message. You need someone's channel number and you have to press your finger to the side of your head.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
My players won't stop prank sending Drizzt please help.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

As written, there's no way to block Sending short of antimagic stuff (though personally I'd also rule that a Ring of Thought Shielding would do it). Which also means you could potentially go really dark with it if you wanted

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

change my name posted:

As written, there's no way to block Sending short of antimagic stuff (though personally I'd also rule that a Ring of Thought Shielding would do it). Which also means you could potentially go really dark with it if you wanted

Arguably mind blank would do it—"The spell even foils wish spells and spells or effects of similar power used to affect the target's mind or to gain information about the target." Sending an audio message directly into someone's mind seems like it would count as affecting said mind. Though that part of mind blank is pretty weirdly worded...

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
As written, there’s no way for PCs to take a dump either

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

whydirt posted:

Obviously it is a CON save.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

whydirt posted:

Finally, an opportunity to post my compendium of house rules

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Base Emitter posted:

Finally, an opportunity to post my compendium of outhouse rules

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
My character can’t cast sending. It was a ‘ask the PC who can/hire an NPC to do a sending to my family member’ situation.

This DM also doesn’t want me to know anything my character wouldn’t, because he doesn’t want “any undue influence of what you know as a player” and that “even subconsciously you know [whatever] and that will influence your decisions” like some MCU-rear end director. Which is frustrating because my character is currently separated from the other two parties for the foreseeable future, and, you know, it’s a little lonely doing separate sessions. (And insulting, of course, but in his defense there are other players in the campaign who don’t know how to/aren’t interested to rp a character.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ask your dm if you could show the sender a Minor Illusion of the target.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I’m a barbarian.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok then just shout really really really loud

Sorry I got nothin

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

change my name posted:

What would be the Sending equivalent of faxxing a looped black sheet of paper?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Humming a song that gets stuck in their head, I guess?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Grem posted:

Qqqq Qqqqqqq,

Qqqq qqqq qq qqqq, qq, QQQ, qqqq qq qqqq qq'q q qqq qq qqqqqq. Q qqqq qqqq qqqqq qqqqq qqq qqq qqqq qqqqqqq

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You only get 25 words, but it is 25 words in any language. So you need to find the language with the longest words, and then say them in the speedy cadence of an Ent.

Oh, it looks like the duration is only one round so your message is 6 seconds max? Boo. Boo I say.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

You only get 25 words, but it is 25 words in any language. So you need to find the language with the longest words, and then say them in the speedy cadence of an Ent.

Oh, it looks like the duration is only one round so your message is 6 seconds max? Boo. Boo I say.

Qualith is still a thing in 5e, so you could send 25 words that are literally just a carrier for a cognitohazard. Just blast all of Waterdeep with the image of Elminster’s hairy old rear end pounding away at bear Mystra or something.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://koboldpress.com/diablo-iv-barbarian-subclass/

https://koboldpress.com/diablo-iv-subclasses-rogue-and-druid/

I don't know enough about Diablo 4 to really comment on the Barbarian and Rogue subclasses, but the Druid strikes me as being somewhat decent because it's a way to use Shapeshift that isn't bogged-down in looking up Monster Manual entries and converting stats. And then you still do the normal Shapeshift if, for example, you really wanted to be able to fly.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zurreco posted:

Obviously it is a CON save.

Cant tell you how many times I have rolled CON for volume of piss on the side of an NPC house or to take a poo poo in some dickhead's stew

Question is, do cooking tools give advantage to making GBS threads Rolls?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Depending on where the stew is, that would surely be dex.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://koboldpress.com/diablo-iv-barbarian-subclass/

https://koboldpress.com/diablo-iv-subclasses-rogue-and-druid/

I don't know enough about Diablo 4 to really comment on the Barbarian and Rogue subclasses, but the Druid strikes me as being somewhat decent because it's a way to use Shapeshift that isn't bogged-down in looking up Monster Manual entries and converting stats. And then you still do the normal Shapeshift if, for example, you really wanted to be able to fly.

D&Done druid (other than Moon) isn't honestly bad this way as every single druid subclass has a combat use of wild shape that isn't shapeshifting. And with the wild shapes no longer having temp hp overcoats or falling out of wild shape you basically only use a couple of utility forms. (IMO this is fine - but the Moon should go to templates and imaginary creatures as their special thing).

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Wild shape should’ve been a subclass thing to begin with. Trying to make Shapeshifter and full 9 spell levels Nature Mage in the same base class is too much, imo

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Grem posted:

Look to some of the poo poo people get up to sending text to speech messages to twitch streamers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Grem posted:

https://twitter.com/Jason/status/1680042168432611328?s=20

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Famous mages probably have a cantrip ready to go that fires back loud fax machine noises at anyone bothering them with a sending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ok, but this is now an adventure. Some evil diviner telemarketer* is spamming the greatest heroes of the realm with cold calls for trinkets. Now, they cant do a long rest to get their magic back, and it's up to your group of nobodies to break in and smash the place up!

*Of course telemarketers are diviners, how else do they know when you're sitting down for dinner before the call?