Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Bro Dad posted:

so it looks like bandai's official stance on witch from mercury is that the protagonists arent gay married (despite the wedding rings and referring to someone as a sister-in-law)

https://twitter.com/g_witch_m/status/1685628114125340672?s=46&t=olCUZfjIfHPgIHpYrsrkcA

y'all think there's at least 1 person out there that didn't consider they were gay til they saw this??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bro Dad posted:

so it looks like bandai's official stance on witch from mercury is that the protagonists arent gay married (despite the wedding rings and referring to someone as a sister-in-law)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Cyberpunk Edgerunners, a show with great music, is also trying to be an Icarus myth while also trying to do class consciousness. It's incredibly hopeless

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
if bandai namco didn't want the girls to get gay married then maybe they shouldn't have greenlit a series where the girls get gay engaged in literally the first episode

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

the Slam Dunk movie owned. everyone should watch it. you can go in knowing absolutely nothing about the series and wind up having a great time. anime is good.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Srice posted:

the Slam Dunk movie owned. everyone should watch it. you can go in knowing absolutely nothing about the series and wind up having a great time. anime is good.

is this all 3d :smugjones:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

bitmap posted:

it is but since it's on a movie budget it looks pretty good + basketball anime is a real good way to make full use of stuff that'd be a pain to do in 2d

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

bitmap posted:

in my opinion 3d anime is very jarring at first but over time you get used to it, so doing a full 3d series/move is better than say having it be mostly 2d with some 3d action scenes - it leaves you with none of the potential benefits of 3d since you never have time to get over the initial discomfort

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

3d anime is an oxymoron

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Communist Thoughts posted:

3d anime is an oxymoron

no

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I will add it to my list. Ball is life

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I liked the new Trigun. They did it well enough.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Megamissen posted:

in my opinion 3d anime is very jarring at first but over time you get used to it, so doing a full 3d series/move is better than say having it be mostly 2d with some 3d action scenes - it leaves you with none of the potential benefits of 3d since you never have time to get over the initial discomfort

oh, look, I mean...3d animated films are fine. 3d is great and has an obvious place in the 2d production pipeline (vehicles, sweeping environmental shots, crowds, etc) but what I really dont like is this cop out of trying to make 3d characters pass as 2d. it's robotic, cheap, boring.

not a lot of other people seem to care I guess but I'm a professional 2d animator so im cursed by caring about the form

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
trigun was so weird in how low the framerate felt

and agreed on "fake 2d" stuff looking bad

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

bitmap posted:

oh, look, I mean...3d animated films are fine. 3d is great and has an obvious place in the 2d production pipeline (vehicles, sweeping environmental shots, crowds, etc)

i would disagree with this - adding 3d elements in an otherwise 2d series make them stick out in a bad way and give me an "ugh" feeling
like the euphonium movie used some sweeping 3d and it looked bad, the movement of the character playing the flute was very stilted and it kinde took me out of it
it would have been better to do one or two breathtaking sweeping 2d sequences and do more of the really good close ups and a some non-sweeping shots from the audience perspective

quote:

but what I really dont like is this cop out of trying to make 3d characters pass as 2d. it's robotic, cheap, boring.

this too i would... somewhat disagree with this too
at first it does feel robotic, cheap and boring (and uncanny) but after about half an episode ive gotten used to it and barely even notice it anymore (as long as the quality of the animation is decent, low quality 3d looks very bad compared to low quality 2d)

though my most recent experience being with bangdream mygo might have skeewed by perspective a bit, its a very good and lovingly created show and everyone here should try it if they havent
it works around the strengths and weaknesses of 3d in a very good way - using camera angles and perspectives to communicate what a 2d show might have used the characters themselves to express

quote:

not a lot of other people seem to care I guess but I'm a professional 2d animator so im cursed by caring about the form

i prefer 2d but if the choice is between 2d with a lot of 3d sequences/elements (unless its deliberatly going for the uncannyness) and pure 3d... id choose to drop the 3d elements and go pure 2d but if thats not an option id go with pure 3d

Megamissen has issued a correction as of 15:32 on Jul 31, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Land of the Lustrous is still my benchmark for 3d animation combined with 2d animation done right. It's a show that genuinely would've lost something if it was done entirely in 2d

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i think the best all-3d animation in a series ive seen so far is Eden, which is otherwise an unremarkable show. only four episodes, and i wonder if its because of the expense.

it's also quite well done in BBKBRNK, in my opinion.

3d animation is often used as a technique to save money, but that has always been a part of television animation. re-used transformation sequences! long shots of static environments while characters talk! drawing crowds of background characters as just weird white outlines! it can be done well, and the money saved can be spent on making other parts of the show. every show has money-saving hallmarks and money-costing hallmarks.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Zom 100 has really strong dudes rock energy, which I wasn't expecting at all.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

Cyberpunk Edgerunners, a show with great music, is also trying to be an Icarus myth while also trying to do class consciousness. It's incredibly hopeless

Cyberpunk Edgerunners vindicated my belief that I Really Want to Stay at Your House was the best licensed song they got for the video game.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

my favorite bit about the making of edgerunners was that apparently nobody in the anime industry knows how to animate dynamic lighting so they had to learn on the fly

also cdpr wanted more of it's music in the game, but the only song the director actually liked was I really wanna stay at your house

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

my favorite bit about the making of edgerunners was that apparently nobody in the anime industry knows how to animate dynamic lighting so they had to learn on the fly

also cdpr wanted more of it's music in the game, but the only song the director actually liked was I really wanna stay at your house

Major Crimes and Who's Ready For Tomorrow did some solid work in the anime, too.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Edgerunners was really fun and stylish but also incredibly predictable. I wish there were more mainstream cyberpunk stories that didn't just go 1) oppressed lower class person gets some kind of advantage -> 2) makes friends and fights the powers that be -> 3) gets betrayed by some of their friends -> 4) overcomes this setback -> 5) brutally destroyed by the powers that be

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's that or GITS You are the powers that be, and you keep them in line.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't think they ever released the track that plays when David uses the cyberarmor, and I'm still a little sore about that.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

It's that or GITS You are the powers that be, and you keep them in line.

Gosh it's like the real lesson of all cyberpunk is that you should ingratiate yourself with capital because any attempt at carving out a space for yourself without their express permission will end in your destruction. Truly revolutionary

e: Oh wait, there was an exception to that and it was Akudama Drive, which loving ruled. Like, okay, yeah, pretty much all the protagonists still loving died but they actually inspired the people to rise up and overthrow the ruling class, mostly by killing as many cops as possible and dragging the plutocracy from their gilded thrones and killing them too. Swindler is one of the coolest loving characters in all of cyberpunk and was also probably the most "ordinary" protagonist possible

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 23:44 on Jul 31, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Isn't the cyberpunk dlc about protecting the president or something, like the least cyberpunk thing possible

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You're all complaining about the conventions of the genre. If a cybernetic futurist story had a revolutionary outlook and plot, then it wouldn't be cyberPUNK. The power fantasy appeal is that an individual can acquire the means to fight back against corporate enclosure, but from the beginning the underlying theme is that no individual will ever have the power to meaningfully resist the system. The best possible case is that you can somehow escape, which is the actual prospect for anarchist critiques of capitalism.

Kit Walker posted:

Gosh it's like the real lesson of all cyberpunk is that you should ingratiate yourself with capital because any attempt at carving out a space for yourself without their express permission will end in your destruction. Truly revolutionary

Ingratiating yourself to capital isn't any kind of salvation, because you are still a disposable component that can be betrayed and discarded at any moment. In Shadowrun corpos are like well appointed house slaves. They get to enjoy the trappings of a bourgeois lifestyle but they own nothing.

Even in post-cyberpunk like Ghost in the Shell, Section 9 is dissolved and reformed multiple times because of their inconvenience to the interests of reactionary Japanese politics, or American imperialism.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

if bandai namco didn't want the girls to get gay married then maybe they shouldn't have greenlit a series where the girls get gay engaged in literally the first episode

They also had Birdie Wing, which was incredibly gay for the first half and then the second half is basically a smash cut saying "No they're actually related :)... but not BLOOD related because that would be weird!"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The issue with overthrowing the powers that be is that once you do that it ceases to be cyberpunk. Not saying more cyberpunk stories shouldn’t end with the corporate hellworld being toppled, just that if you do you’ve got to be sure you’re absolutely done with the setting (at least as a way to tell cyberpunk stories). And 2077 is a tabletop game which is by its nature a setting to place stories in rather than a story in and of itself. So it can’t exactly have David destroy capitalism and make everyone’s tabletop campaign irrelevant.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cyberpunk the video game does have an ending where the only possibility for a better future can be achieved through personal sacrifice, and it's more important to be an agitator who raises a new generation of rebels rather than trying to live your whole life as a solo vs. the world. But that's one ending out of like 5.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ingratiating yourself to capital isn't any kind of salvation, because you are still a disposable component that can be betrayed and discarded at any moment. In Shadowrun corpos are like well appointed house slaves. They get to enjoy the trappings of a bourgeois lifestyle but they own nothing.

Even in post-cyberpunk like Ghost in the Shell, Section 9 is dissolved and reformed multiple times because of their inconvenience to the interests of reactionary Japanese politics, or American imperialism.

Sure, but in a situation where you're either disposable and poor or disposable and better off than 99% of the population, it sends kind of mixed messages when it says you should fight the power but also meaningful change is impossible and the house always wins. If your choices are either certain death or luxury at the price of dignity (and possibly death later down the line when you're no longer useful) most people are going to pick that second option

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kit Walker posted:

Sure, but in a situation where you're either disposable and poor or disposable and better off than 99% of the population, it sends kind of mixed messages when it says you should fight the power but also meaningful change is impossible and the house always wins

The house always wins because the protagonists are apolitical, rather than engaging with the kind of mass politics that's necessary to realize meaningful change. The lack of revolutionary "cyberpunk" stories is also an imposition of capitalism irl. If you write a story about a cybernetic communist revolution, it will not get published.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Isn't the cyberpunk dlc about protecting the president or something, like the least cyberpunk thing possible

Only if you're an idiot corpo stooge who chooses to do as Militech says because they've hired Idris Elba. If you actually want to protect the president of a fascist state out of self-preservation, then that's completely on you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Cyberpunk the video game does have an ending where the only possibility for a better future can be achieved through personal sacrifice, and it's more important to be an agitator who raises a new generation of rebels rather than trying to live your whole life as a solo vs. the world. But that's one ending out of like 5.

The ending where you remember you have friends and allies and lead a band of refugees-turned-smugglers to chew through two fascist armies and steal all their poo poo before riding off into the sunset with your girlfriend is pretty neat, too.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

The ending where you remember you have friends and allies and lead a band of refugees-turned-smugglers to chew through two fascist armies and steal all their poo poo before riding off into the sunset with your girlfriend is pretty neat, too.

That's definitely the happiest ending, anyway.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Did they ever fix the menu font sizes they were too small for me

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok finished Edgerunners and in pretty sure I played that net runner one shot.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Politics aside the greatest achievement of the Cyberpunk anime was to make people reconsider playing the Cyberpunk game. I mean not that I can because my computer can barely run games that came out 15 years ago but still, I actually do want to try it out now.

Can't wait for the inevitable Shadowrun anime, one day...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have an xbox one, which is the 3rd generation xbox. Does cyberpunk 2077 run at a minimally acceptable level on my system?

(I also ostensibly have a ps4 but I don’t want to drag it out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
iirc cyberpunk 2077 notoriously does not run well on older-gen consoles