Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
For those questioning it, the fundamental issue is the plan to make driving cars around the area more difficult, while at the same time reducing and eliminating public transport options. It's not carrot and stick: it's stick with a side helping of stick. The scheme would have been so much easier to sell to residents if a key feature had been new bus routes and more regular services, but buses in Bristol are a privatised monopoly held by FirstBus, and they've got no interest in maintaining any but the most profitable routes.

Personally, I'm in favour of low traffic neighbourhoods on balance, but I think the council should have held off until they've managed to get the bus services back under their control (something people in Bristol are screaming for, by the way), then they could have managed the whole thing in an integrated manner. The half-assed way it's been done is frustrating 'cos, as I said, I think they're a pretty reasonable idea but doing it like this is turning neutral, persuadeable people hostile to the whole concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sebzilla posted:

If public transport was cheaper and less lovely (I'd ask for "free and good but, you know") then it would be much easier to get people to drive less.

I like the positioning of the closing quote here.

As though the proposed policy for public transport is "free and good, but, you know"

What could this mean. Might play it safe and get a car

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
barring disability or distance I don't see a reason for kids not to be walking in- mine were doing a short walk on their own to primary school by year 5, then for secondary the elder did just under 2 miles to get there and younger is currently going to a different one that's only a bit less of a walk

investment was in shoes and suitable coats, payout is well exercised and independent kids

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 31, 2023

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

In NI getting the bus to school, secondary schools at least, is the norm. There are school buses for most areas including rural ones. They transport pupils to bus stations, then separate buses take kids to their respective schools. I don't know what the current limits are, but when I was at school anyone living more than 1.5 miles from their school got a free bus pass.

It doesn't cater to everyone and some people choose to drive their kids to school, but anytime I see the buses they're always full so it definitely takes a lot of traffic off the road.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's a shame that Florence Pugh is cool, talented and beautiful but her dad is a :byodood: ULEZ :byodood: oval office

https://twitter.com/bartlebooth45/status/1685941851138732032?t=isOVMyeFRPJODeW0bngATw&s=19

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ronya posted:

Yeah but... why now in the particular, why not with any number of previous walkability and pedestrianization initiatives - it's not like the conspiratorial grift is new

It's a direct continuation of covid lockdown conspiracy theories about "controlling your movement". In the UK those people went to LTNs (and local to London, ULEZ expansion) and in the US they went to 15 minute cities, and because this is all done through intermingled Facebook groups we have people taking the bus in south london with their "15 minute cities" poster and somewhere in south carolina there's a guy outside city hall talking very loudly about londonistan.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

keep punching joe posted:

More schools is also a solution, so kids can you know walk to them from their house. Rather than the trend in recent years of closing smaller secondaries and merging them into big mega campuses.

This also plays a role, same with nurseries. There is one within walking distance but we've been on their waiting list since October so driving to another nursery it is.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
as someone who needs a bus to get around south london i am extremely anti-car (especially during rush hours) but yeah if you're doing LTNs without including better public transport that is pretty silly!

SUVs in urban areas should be banned outright though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

It's a direct continuation of covid lockdown conspiracy theories about "controlling your movement". In the UK those people went to LTNs (and local to London, ULEZ expansion) and in the US they went to 15 minute cities, and because this is all done through intermingled Facebook groups we have people taking the bus in south london with their "15 minute cities" poster and somewhere in south carolina there's a guy outside city hall talking very loudly about londonistan.
And the same people shouting about "controlling your movement" are all on Nextdoor going off about "a man walked past my house carrying a shopping bag is this a burglary???" and "here's 15 screenshots from my Ring doorbell of a duck on my front lawn I heard this is a gang initiation technique" and "there is a (((horse fair))) in a field outside of town next week everyone lock your cars!!" so they're fine with controlling everyone else's movement.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The problem isn't cars, it's cities.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

josh04 posted:

That answers "why now" but not "why that one"... there's a gazillion movement-related and public-health-surveillance-related and biosecurity-related local govt strategies and initiatives all the time

Luck of the draw, maybe

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

In NI getting the bus to school, secondary schools at least, is the norm. There are school buses for most areas including rural ones. They transport pupils to bus stations, then separate buses take kids to their respective schools. I don't know what the current limits are, but when I was at school anyone living more than 1.5 miles from their school got a free bus pass.

It doesn't cater to everyone and some people choose to drive their kids to school, but anytime I see the buses they're always full so it definitely takes a lot of traffic off the road.

There are parts of the world where not only do you have school buses, you have factory buses so your don't have to hoof it to work.

Of course in the UK the people least able to afford it are asked to shell out for their own transport.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

That answers "why now" but not "why that one"... there's a gazillion movement-related and public-health-surveillance-related and biosecurity-related local govt strategies and initiatives all the time

Luck of the draw, maybe
It's because it inconveniences the people with the time and resources to go on about it on social media.

You never see them going on about the gangs violence matrix (GVM), even though that's a lot closer to how UN Agenda 2030 Social Credits CBDC is supposed to work.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I guess, technically, my rural town of a thousand maybe, might almost qualify as a 15 minute "city". I got two grocery stores and two schools within 4 km or less and I can walk that in 15 minutes if I walk fast. Bicycle no prob to cover that in less than 15 min.

But I prefer to take my car, and most times I stop by on my way to work anyway which takes me right past it.

I gotta admit I really enjoy driving a car and the freedom it gives me. I actually got myself another car because I just enjoy driving it and working on it, my summer car. It all works fine as long as population density is low. I went to stockholm in July and driving there was a PITA, though not as terrible as I had thought.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Okay, so I disagree with the idea that enough public transport will eliminate the need for private car use for many reasons. And I know that is not what is being advocated for here (I am not trying to straw man anyone here.)

But I do think people are failing to see that just with the one example (namely bringing kids to school.) that there are lots of cases that come up for why parents drive their kids to school.

First, is distance. Some people do live a large distance away from the school that public transport isn't really an option. (A situation where the school the child goes to is on the far side of town from where the family lives, because this is the better school.) Yes public transport helps here, as does more investment in all schools so we enroll our kids in the nearest school since they are all the best. But again, this is a bigger picture issue to sort out and requires more investment.

Second, age of children. When you have young kids (and that age is one that is different) you can't use public transport with them, or can't just leave them to use public transport.
And that's single kids. If there are multiple siblings, you basically reset the clock on when your child will decide to use public transport everytime you have another kid. (If you have an 8 year old and their 4 year old brother is being driven to school, the 8 will also probably want to be driven to school too "since it's only fair.")

Third, individual circumstances of the child.
Like I know that this gets written off about parents chauffeuring their kids to and from school as some irrational fear that they will be harmed on public transport and the risks of accidents while being driven is higher and so on. But there is a lot here. The children might have some medical condition, which means they can't use public transport.
The child (or parent) might have some sort of past trauma that means they can't or won't use public transport.

Fourth, kids are so disorganised. Trying to get one kid to leave for any place on time is a nightmare. Doing it with more than one becomes a worse proposition. And you can say "that's just a skill they need to learn in the real world" it's a process that really can take a long time to do. And very often if a parent needs a child somewhere by a time, they have to take charge and bring them somewhere.

Fifth, and I can't believe I have to put this one in writing, we all do know what the weather is like in this part of the world? Like consistent or awful rain is very, very common.

Like my overall point is, I think many people are just taking their personal situation and trying to apply it universally for other families.

Like you will get kids who want to use the bus by themselves or with friends to go to school, no matter the weather or distance.
But you also get other kids who can't or won't or it just isn't feasible.
And yes, improvements in public transport will help make it more feasible, you can't also go along with an associated "demonise families for driving their kids to school and being part of the problem."

The last part isn't helpful and comes across a bit of "I don't understand why you have to be so involved in your children's lives. I was a child once, and it was fine. And though I'm now only capable of remembering it back with an adults mindset, I assume all the same rules and my personal situations apply to everyone else."

And this is, like I said earlier, just in connection with the school run. There are many other transport situations that people deal with in day to day lives where "maor public transport" just won't solve it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Fun one on the local facebook group the other day actually, a grainy candid of a teen pissing on a 'memorial' tree (to an event, not a person). Half the replies frothing about the feral youth of today, the other half saying maybe banning all unaccompanied teens from the shopping centre (including toilets) might have been a bad idea.

ronya posted:

Luck of the draw, maybe

This NYT piece suggests that an anti-LTN protest in Oxford was put onto the idea by Oxford council's 2021 report on the concept and it spread from there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Incredible that the USA, the most insane carfucker culture that has ever existed, has basically solved the problem of getting kids to school via public transport in most parts of their diverse country. But no, it's definitely intractable

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

Second, age of children. When you have young kids (and that age is one that is different) you can't use public transport with them, or can't just leave them to use public transport.
And that's single kids. If there are multiple siblings, you basically reset the clock on when your child will decide to use public transport everytime you have another kid. (If you have an 8 year old and their 4 year old brother is being driven to school, the 8 will also probably want to be driven to school too "since it's only fair.")

I think this seems like an instance where you, as an adult, would need to explain to your children that as they get older there are some things they will need to do that their younger siblings can not do, and sometimes this will involve getting the bus.

Also, why can't you use public transport with your children? They get cheaper fares, that's the entire point.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of which, Behind the Bastards had a good two parter on kidnapping/trafficking conspiracy theories and how they play into both primal fears and also the suburban right wing paranoid style (keep your hand on your gun brah, that slice of cheese on your SUV is how the traffickers get you brah, that's how trafficking works).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK2ADmAjiF0

I listened to this the other day, I had no idea quite how many crazy kidnapping theories there were. The loud man didn't let Sarah Marshall speak enough though. Her earlier You're Wrong About episodes about "stranger danger" and other similar moral panics are always worth checking out.

--

School run chat makes me sad :( It's insane to have dozens of SUVs descending on schools twice a day, but you never get further than "but school choice", "but disabled kids", "but the weather"

Meanwhile in my neoliberal rainy doom country has little tots cycling to school in all weathers, or being bakfiets-ed by their parents. No idea how you get there from the UK's current place though (and there's opposition locally to more anti-car measures being proposed by the city gov... but at least they're proposing them!)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
^^^^
God I hate SUVs to boot. loving hate them.

The Question IRL posted:

Okay, so I disagree with the idea that enough public transport will eliminate the need for private car use for many reasons. And I know that is not what is being advocated for here (I am not trying to straw man anyone here.)

But I do think people are failing to see that just with the one example (namely bringing kids to school.) that there are lots of cases that come up for why parents drive their kids to school.

First, is distance. Some people do live a large distance away from the school that public transport isn't really an option. (A situation where the school the child goes to is on the far side of town from where the family lives, because this is the better school.) Yes public transport helps here, as does more investment in all schools so we enroll our kids in the nearest school since they are all the best. But again, this is a bigger picture issue to sort out and requires more investment.

Third, individual circumstances of the child.
Like I know that this gets written off about parents chauffeuring their kids to and from school as some irrational fear that they will be harmed on public transport and the risks of accidents while being driven is higher and so on. But there is a lot here. The children might have some medical condition, which means they can't use public transport.
The child (or parent) might have some sort of past trauma that means they can't or won't use public transport.

Fourth, kids are so disorganised. Trying to get one kid to leave for any place on time is a nightmare. Doing it with more than one becomes a worse proposition. And you can say "that's just a skill they need to learn in the real world" it's a process that really can take a long time to do. And very often if a parent needs a child somewhere by a time, they have to take charge and bring them somewhere.

Fifth, and I can't believe I have to put this one in writing, we all do know what the weather is like in this part of the world? Like consistent or awful rain is very, very common.

Like my overall point is, I think many people are just taking their personal situation and trying to apply it universally for other families.

Like you will get kids who want to use the bus by themselves or with friends to go to school, no matter the weather or distance.
But you also get other kids who can't or won't or it just isn't feasible.
And yes, improvements in public transport will help make it more feasible, you can't also go along with an associated "demonise families for driving their kids to school and being part of the problem."

The last part isn't helpful and comes across a bit of "I don't understand why you have to be so involved in your children's lives. I was a child once, and it was fine. And though I'm now only capable of remembering it back with an adults mindset, I assume all the same rules and my personal situations apply to everyone else."

And this is, like I said earlier, just in connection with the school run. There are many other transport situations that people deal with in day to day lives where "maor public transport" just won't solve it.

I agree in large part. Though I think the idea isn't to get rid of cars either but being able to use your car less. Like I said I own car(s) and I even enjoy cars and driving. But I would say 80% of my driving is for work and if there went a bus on my work hours, I would take it. But sadly nobody felt a regular bus route for a guy going from a town of 1k to an even smaller town further out into the countryside, would be profitable.

So barring that, I think the best way to get people to drive less, is for people to work fewer days of the week. So much of driving is because of work or in some way relates to work. One might also consider that a lot of commercial driving is in most ways serving the consumption oriented economy. Less work, less consumption, less driving.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Z the IVth posted:

There are parts of the world where not only do you have school buses, you have factory buses so your don't have to hoof it to work.

Of course in the UK the people least able to afford it are asked to shell out for their own transport.

There's an Amazon staff-only double-decker runs from Woolwich to um their Dartford warehouse I guess; I see it when I'm down there early mornings.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Also, make your kids start school later. 1st grade in Finland is age 7. That will reduce the amount of required driving for young kids and they will be big enough to hop into the school taxi or bus once it's time to start school.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Also, why can't you use public transport with your children? They get cheaper fares, that's the entire point.

I don’t drive so have no car in this fight but how do you get a bus to two different schools with two different children at the same time unless you’re lucky enough that both schools are miraculously on the same route?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Kids under 7 shouldn't be driving at all imo. Unless it's one of those little red and yellow plastic cars

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t drive so have no car in this fight but how do you get a bus to two different schools with two different children at the same time unless you’re lucky enough that both schools are miraculously on the same route?

The assertion appeared to be a blanket one that You Can Not Use Public Transport With Kids which I am having trouble understanding.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

Her earlier You're Wrong About episodes about "stranger danger" and other similar moral panics are always worth checking out.
Ah, the one promoted heavily by pedophiles to convince parents that everyone else was a pedophile to distract from their pedophiling.

It's interesting (and disgusting) how easily that segued into 'grooming gangs' to introduce a racist element from a bunch of people who definitely need their hard drives checking.

I'll check those podcasts out.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The Question IRL posted:

My own circumstances were that my partner and her kid moved in with me. He'd not long started secondary school, so we didn't want him moving schools but, no problem! There was a bus service that would take him from the end of our street to his school and back again. They move in, new term starts and FirstBus is immediately: "Yeah, we're cancelling that service forever. gently caress you." So now we do 2 additional daily car trips across the city, dropping him off and picking him up again. (This is also my personal reason for being pretty salty about the whole Bristol LTN/ bus services thing. Way to encourage us onto public transport, guys!)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Ah, the one promoted heavily by pedophiles to convince parents that everyone else was a pedophile to distract from their pedophiling.

Come now, Jimmy Savile knew everything there was to know about the dangers your children faced from paedophiles.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Didn't know my siblings and I were basically Randian supermen for... getting the bus to school by ourselves.

But to be fair, my quality of life massively improved once WFH came in, because Bristols public transport is shite.

Luckily the local MPs, Council, Mayor and the Weca Mayor are all labour, so nothing will ever get done about it because positive change is impossible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1685956726674145280?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

There really is a certain grim inevitability to these sorts of things, isn't there?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1685956726674145280?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

There really is a certain grim inevitability to these sorts of things, isn't there?

They've figured out that they can kill poors and non-whites without consequence from the law.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Bibby. Bibby. Bibby. Floating Grenfell. Bibby. Bibby. Buffet tastes so good.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

ronya posted:

Luck of the draw, maybe

it's an accidental transplant from the US via social media osmosis where it is (probably) another astroturf from the fossil fuel lobby pushing back on any drawdown in car usage. 15 minute cities came into the conversation - organically or otherwise - because people started discussing how hosed american city planning is (quite literally a conspiracy to sell cars, robert moses etc) versus european/chinese equivalents

i have zero evidence for any of that but also that is the consequence whether it's intentional or not

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 31, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

*Boris Johnson voice* I don't think we should be worrying too much, I have spoken to the company operating this venture, and uh they have assured me that there are many fire drills, and uh in the event of a fire the residents can use those to drill through the hull and put the fires out.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

That's The Plan

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
And then they'll get put back into dire hotels in the area instead. The cycle will continue at a cost of mere billions

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I don't know if any of you have had Encona Chilli Jam, but it is currently my number 1 sauce for most dishes.

Marmaduke! posted:

And then they'll get put back into dire hotels in the area instead. The cycle will continue at a cost of mere billions

Don't forget about the insurance payout!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Suella Braverman posted:

You can just boil them all

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Chilli jam is the poo poo, but I've only ever had the"good kind" i.e. jar rather than squeezybottle. But I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that this is your good food opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

domhal posted:

Bibby. Bibby. Bibby. Floating Grenfell. Bibby. Bibby. Buffet tastes so good.
can’t remember, was Bibby Stockholm one of the Teletubbies or a Boohbah?