Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

Yes you should change it so your suspension works properly. No it won't come with those springs. You'll need to buy it separately.

That’s super annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MuadDib Atreides posted:

That’s super annoying

Part of the sport. If you got an air fork you could adjust it to your weight. Check pinkbike.com buy sell for hot springs in your area that want to hang out.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Unclear if I need just the spring $45 or the coil conversion kit ($140). Maybe I will call around to shops and see how much for them to do this or if they have the parts and tools or whatever.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
All you need are the following:
• 32mm chamferless socket
• Slick Honey grease
• Utility pick tool (or small Allen wrench) • New coil spring

What in the world is a chamferless socket

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
It is a socket that doesn't have a chamfer on the opening so it grips the really short hex on the fork better.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I see. My helmet is now delayed till august 1.

I got knee/shin guards but are elbow guards needed?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I never seen people wear them trail riding. Worth having at a bike park.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Finally got a out for real ride today on my newish bike, this was by far the longest and most intense ride I've done. Had a great time but I'm going to be mighty sore tomorrow. The ride was ~9 miles round trip, just short of 2k ft up then down. I need to track down a similar trail but like a third to half as long.

I was still using the stock seat and pedals and could really feel it. The replacement parts should arrive this week luckily.

A few questions:

- My lower back was getting pretty sore by the end of the descent. This isn't an entirely new injury but I wonder if there are any setup and technique changes I can make to help with that. Would a higher riser bar help? The stock one is 20mm rise. I'll definitely be doing some more studying about riding position too. I did some quick youtubing and even that has already helped, but I was so tired from the climb I doubt I was anywhere near ideal technique.

- I really really need glasses, any recommendations? It never occurred to me how important they are until I was screaming down a bug, dust, and branch filled trail at 20mph

- Likewise, I should probably get some proper shoes. The worn out sneakers I was wearing combined with lovely pedals almost got me wrecked a couple times. I remember some good shoechat a few months ago but don't recall any recommendations.

MuadDib Atreides posted:

What in the world is a chamferless socket

Normal sockets have that nice lead-in to help you get it over the nut/bolt head. That lead-in is the chamfer. Chamferless sockets have sharp crisp edges to increase engagement distance like meow^3 said. Example: https://www.modernbike.com/fox-chamferless-topcap-socket-for-32-forks-26mm-3-8-drive

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Unclear if I need just the spring $45 or the coil conversion kit ($140). Maybe I will call around to shops and see how much for them to do this or if they have the parts and tools or whatever.

Yeah it'd be a cheap thing for a shop to do.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

The 4pot SRAM brakes I've had feel absolutely awful and have had terrible braking performance relative to the Zee or Saint brakes.
They're at opposite ends of the range ya, but magura's still the standout if raw power if all you're after IMO (I don't ride maguras).

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

- My lower back was getting pretty sore by the end of the descent. This isn't an entirely new injury but I wonder if there are any setup and technique changes I can make to help with that. Would a higher riser bar help? The stock one is 20mm rise. I'll definitely be doing some more studying about riding position too. I did some quick youtubing and even that has already helped, but I was so tired from the climb I doubt I was anywhere near ideal technique.

Is it a pain soreness or just a muscle tiredness soreness? I can't help with the pain one but if it's muscle tiredness just doing more descents will help. My descents are usually anywhere between 50m to 200m in one go and when I was in the Alps earlier in the month I was doing 2000m descents in one go and my lower back was definitely getting tired then! Just core exercises will help, planks, squats, deadlifts etc or just riding more.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

- I really really need glasses, any recommendations? It never occurred to me how important they are until I was screaming down a bug, dust, and branch filled trail at 20mph

Cycling specific glasses can be quite expensive, all the big brands do them. I have some Smith Wildcats which are good but I got them on sale for half price, no way in hell would I pay full price for them! A lot of people use £10 safety glasses you can buy on amazon. I'm not a huge fan since they can be quite distorted but they will definitely get you by for now.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

- Likewise, I should probably get some proper shoes. The worn out sneakers I was wearing combined with lovely pedals almost got me wrecked a couple times. I remember some good shoechat a few months ago but don't recall any recommendations.

Like glasses, shoes can be pretty pricey too. Getting a pair of actual flat pedal MTB specific shoes helps so much though, it's an essential purchase imo. Look at Five Tens, Ride Concepts, Shimano, Specialized, Giro. The most popular shoe I see around is the Five Ten Freerider Pro. Very sticky, quite stiff so good support for pedalling and descents.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

They're at opposite ends of the range ya, but magura's still the standout if raw power if all you're after IMO (I don't ride maguras).

For sure and probably some of the smaller boutiquey brands (trp?) offer even more power. I went with Saints because they're easy to service and crucially I can buy pads at any shop.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Good brakes I’ve owned: Codes, XT
Brakes id be fine never owning again: Guides, Levels.

That summarizes my brake opinions.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Some thoughts on tires. I bought a Ripmo AF in December after riding hard tails for a couple years. I ride in Houston and swapped on some free specialized tires in 2.3 width (on a 30i Wheelset from my hard tail). That change shaved 1.5 pounds and made the bike so much more lively. I was blown away. I've taken the bike with these tires to Sedona and Spider with no issues (running an insert in the rear). I think lots of folks out here in Houston run 'too much tire'.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

not sure if it's been mentioned but over at Hayes they're having a pretty stonkin' sale on all their brands if you're looking for parts.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Aphex- posted:

Is it a pain soreness or just a muscle tiredness soreness? I can't help with the pain one but if it's muscle tiredness just doing more descents will help. My descents are usually anywhere between 50m to 200m in one go and when I was in the Alps earlier in the month I was doing 2000m descents in one go and my lower back was definitely getting tired then! Just core exercises will help, planks, squats, deadlifts etc or just riding more.

Cycling specific glasses can be quite expensive, all the big brands do them. I have some Smith Wildcats which are good but I got them on sale for half price, no way in hell would I pay full price for them! A lot of people use £10 safety glasses you can buy on amazon. I'm not a huge fan since they can be quite distorted but they will definitely get you by for now.

Like glasses, shoes can be pretty pricey too. Getting a pair of actual flat pedal MTB specific shoes helps so much though, it's an essential purchase imo. Look at Five Tens, Ride Concepts, Shimano, Specialized, Giro. The most popular shoe I see around is the Five Ten Freerider Pro. Very sticky, quite stiff so good support for pedalling and descents.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be adding some core work to my existing PT routine sounds like. Cheapo safety glasses are easy to find (including in my garage) so I'll try that first. Shoes might be worth the money, I'll have to try some on in person locally.

A totally different tune-up question: A decade ago I was learning to ride motorcycles and reconfigured all my bikes to be right-hand front brake so I'd get less confused, and I've been riding them that way since. My mountain bike came set up the conventional left-hand front way and it's messing with my muscle memory pretty bad.

Is it possible to swap which hose connects to which brake lever so I can have consistency? I've been digging through the service manuals for the SRAM G2 R levers it came with and it doesn't look like there's any reason why not. The manuals don't make any distinction between left/right or front/back, all of the instructions are generic. The local co-op I volunteer at keeps hydraulic brake service tools on hand so other than consumables I already have access to most of the tools I'd need.

Remove hoses, cut off existing fittings, install new hose barbs and compression fittings, reassemble onto opposite levers, bleed system. Is there something I'm missing that makes this a bad idea?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Just unclamp them from the bars and switch sides. Sram levers are the same left to right and have a bleed screw on both sides.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

Just unclamp them from the bars and switch sides. Sram levers are the same left to right and have a bleed screw on both sides.

Oh goddammit I didn't even think to check that. The only other hydraulic brakes I've owned weren't reversible. Thanks for catching that! Adding that to the list of changes to happen when the saddle and pedals arrive.

On the plus side I know way more about my brakes' servicing than I did an hour ago.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

For sure and probably some of the smaller boutiquey brands (trp?) offer even more power. I went with Saints because they're easy to service and crucially I can buy pads at any shop.
I had TRPs (sample of one obviously) and they felt like same power as shimano/sram, modulation somewhere in between (less on/off than shimano, clearer bite point than sram) but one of the pistons kept loving sticking so I yeeted them for a set of Hopes. The hopes felt basically the same, maybe slightly less power at the same finger pressure but they loving work with a bleed maybe once a year and can be adjusted to perfection. And maintained with cheap spares. After a crash the reservoir cap was damaged along with the main lever body, I just filed down the burr on the body, stuck a new cap and good as new. With maguras I would have needed a complete lever assembly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

I had TRPs (sample of one obviously) and they felt like same power as shimano/sram, modulation somewhere in between (less on/off than shimano, clearer bite point than sram) but one of the pistons kept loving sticking so I yeeted them for a set of Hopes. The hopes felt basically the same, maybe slightly less power at the same finger pressure but they loving work with a bleed maybe once a year and can be adjusted to perfection. And maintained with cheap spares. After a crash the reservoir cap was damaged along with the main lever body, I just filed down the burr on the body, stuck a new cap and good as new. With maguras I would have needed a complete lever assembly.

I think maybe I'm getting it wrong when I said TRP, what's the Italian brand with the long named brakes?

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Probably thinking of Trickstuff, but I'm pretty sure they're German.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

pinarello dogman posted:

Probably thinking of Trickstuff, but I'm pretty sure they're German.

Yeah you're right, I was thinking of these.

The strongest brakes I've ever felt are still some early 00s hope DH4s or something on my friend's bike way back in the day.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I think maybe I'm getting it wrong when I said TRP, what's the Italian brand with the long named brakes?

the only italian brand i can think of is Formula, and I don't think 'Cura' is a long name.

you're probably thinking of zee germans at Trickstuff

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Apart from a helmet + gloves + knee pads, is there anything I should also be wearing while mountain biking? It seems like maybe I should be having goggles- I have glasses so figured I'd get some over the glasses goggles? I am really just doing blues/greens, nothing crazy.

Also, I've just been wearing road biking stuff which is a bit chewed up from a crash, esp since I've just been borrowing bikes and not doing it that regularly, but am looking to change that. I am thinking maybe I will regret this once I have an intense enough fall -- are there particular mtb shorts/jerseys which would be helpful for stopping scrapes and stuff, or would it not really matter much? I wasn't sure how much the difference in what people wear is aesthetic vs practical (but I am thinking maybe it is more the latter).

e: Apologies in advance if the answers to this are super obvious, I wasn't sure from googling how much these are actually different

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
In the DH park most people will wear goggles, they’re no fun to pedal in though.

As for kit, most of the difference is in durability, crashing is a lot more common in MTB obviously. I got some Rapha jerseys for cheap when they did their end of season sale last year and they’ve held up really well. They come with matching fabric patches and have a free repair program as well.

I wear pants when it’s cool enough to do so, but if you’re wearing knee pads the amount of leg exposed is pretty minimal.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I like wearing glasses. I've been using Goodr for a while and they're perfect for me. Find something that doesn't darken too much, so you can see in the shade of the woods.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Big glasses with not a very dark lens are generally the way to go for mtb. I have some hudge poc devours with the cat 2 trail lens and those have been pretty great for all sorts of biking and also ski touring. Even in blowing snow a lot of the time i don't even need to bother putting on goggles. Obviously you don't need expensive glasses and those pocs are kind of dumb and ridiculous looking, but still, something along those lines.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

For whatever reason, every time I fall I abuse my elbows more than my knees. I ride with knee pads in the park and elbow protectors in the park and descending on trails that might be rowdy.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I’ve started riding with a backpack that has a back protector all the time and a full face for descending about 90% of the time. For long climbs I take the chin bar off and either strap it to my backpack or handlebars.

I really like a photochromic lens on my glasses for being in and out of trees. I got a pair of smith shifts with a lens that goes from fully clear to just dark enough for full sun. Lots of my friends like their Goodrs as well.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Big +1 to elbow protection. Depending on the season they double as arm warmers or SPF. I like the fox launch d30s because the padding extends to cover your forearms, which I seem to hit every time I go down.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tildes posted:

Apart from a helmet + gloves + knee pads, is there anything I should also be wearing while mountain biking? It seems like maybe I should be having goggles- I have glasses so figured I'd get some over the glasses goggles? I am really just doing blues/greens, nothing crazy.

Also, I've just been wearing road biking stuff which is a bit chewed up from a crash, esp since I've just been borrowing bikes and not doing it that regularly, but am looking to change that. I am thinking maybe I will regret this once I have an intense enough fall -- are there particular mtb shorts/jerseys which would be helpful for stopping scrapes and stuff, or would it not really matter much? I wasn't sure how much the difference in what people wear is aesthetic vs practical (but I am thinking maybe it is more the latter).

e: Apologies in advance if the answers to this are super obvious, I wasn't sure from googling how much these are actually different

Heart rate monitor, blood glucose monitor, whoop band. Wrist-based head unit to optimize your grit and flow and jump metrics. Chest strapped GoPro plus a follow drone.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eejit posted:

For whatever reason, every time I fall I abuse my elbows more than my knees. I ride with knee pads in the park and elbow protectors in the park and descending on trails that might be rowdy.
Saaaaame. And my kid's the same too. I don't wear super thick elbow pads, just thick enough to avoid abrasion injuries.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I really like a photochromic lens on my glasses for being in and out of trees. I got a pair of smith shifts with a lens that goes from fully clear to just dark enough for full sun. Lots of my friends like their Goodrs as well.
I've tried a buddy's photochromics and they never react fast enough to be useful in mixed cover.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Basically you become a cyborg

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Maybe a dumb question but do you all drive to the place you are riding every time or do you ride on the roads to get there? I'm in suburban London and have good places nearish but not really enjoying the riding on the roads with cars

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bicievino posted:

Heart rate monitor, blood glucose monitor, whoop band. Wrist-based head unit to optimize your grit and flow and jump metrics. Android phone-connected vibrating plug and chastity cage. Chest strapped GoPro plus a follow drone.

https://youtu.be/-u77XdL8_B4

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Quizzlefish posted:

Maybe a dumb question but do you all drive to the place you are riding every time or do you ride on the roads to get there? I'm in suburban London and have good places nearish but not really enjoying the riding on the roads with cars
I hook up my MTB to my cargo bike and trailer it to the trail head, mostly.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

Quizzlefish posted:

I’m about three miles from a trailhead, so most of the time I just bike in/out. Last time I drove there was the first time I took my fatbike out in the winter.

That said it’s super common to drive in/out, so you do whatever is more comfortable.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Quizzlefish posted:

I almost always ride the same trail system which is a 4km ride from my front door on a multi-use path. I'm also super new at this and drive a small car so the only way to drive my bike anywhere until I get a hitch installed is to take the tire off and chuck it in my car and get it all dirty. I'm probably going to get a hitch and trailer so I can more easily drive to different trails. The ones near my house aren't particularly great, they're just convenient.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

One near home (~3 miles) I pedal to. For the rest I throw it on the hitch rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Speaking of glasses what do you guys do about prescriptions? Should I just get a pair of prescription sport sunglasses? I guess the idea would be to get fairly light ones so I can wear them in almost all conditions?