Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I had to google it and lmao "Khaleesi" was still the name of almost 700 newborn girls in the US last year. Who is doing this

For those girls' sake, I hope they'll only be put into schools with peers that have even dumber names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Libluini posted:

For those girls' sake, I hope they'll only be put into schools with peers that have even dumber names

As someone who works at a school with several Khaleesi, it depends on your tolerance for unique spellings.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Its funny because my cousin did legitimately name her kid after Daenerys but was actually smart and instead named her after her actress. It's already a real name and has several great nicknames she can go by (Emma, Mia, etc) Not saying you can't name your kid after your favorite character but godamn please remember you're naming future adults and not pets.

It's like those loving McKinsleigh names or whatever. You're dooming your kid to constantly having their name mispronounced because not every one watched your dumb fantasy show

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I personally do t think you should name your kids after pop culture stuff even if you really like said pop culture. Or if you do just be very slight about it. Almost as bad as naming your kid the same name as you.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I named my daughter after an Astrid Lindgren novel, and don't regret it at all :colbert: (though that name has been in use since the 80s)

Edit: : Colbert: ≠ :colbert:

Anders fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 30, 2023

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

you named your daughter colbert?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

I personally do t think you should name your kids after pop culture stuff even if you really like said pop culture. Or if you do just be very slight about it. Almost as bad as naming your kid the same name as you.

You can be a nerd just be stealth nerd

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Lot of hate for Scottish surnames in this thread.

Chardonnay is the worst, given, girls name imo. Naming your kid after a grape? Lovely.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Collateral posted:

Lot of hate for Scottish surnames in this thread.

Chardonnay is the worst, given, girls name imo. Naming your kid after a grape? Lovely.

I think most people probably think they're naming their kid after the wine, which is even worse.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

in the hypothetical event that Brandon Sanderson convinces GRRMs widow to let him write Winds, I'm gonna stop reading the second Stannis dies or has no more chapters if he doesn't die raiding Winterfell like in the poo poo show

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Josuke Higashikata posted:

in the hypothetical event that Brandon Sanderson convinces GRRMs widow to let him write Winds, I'm gonna stop reading the second Stannis dies or has no more chapters if he doesn't die raiding Winterfell like in the poo poo show

Unlikely.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

The only promise GURM will ever hold is to burn all his manuscripts if he dies before it's finished

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He'll die on the shitter and the author will think it's used bog roll

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

support the writers' strike

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
gurm's supposed desire not to let anyone continue his work or publish unauthorized derivatives of it will not last much after his death, like media conglamorates can't find a way past a fat dead man's dying wishes, heck I'd be shocked if his notes will actually be burned.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Serious question. Would his publishers not in fact have some contractual claim on that stuff?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I'm still not convinced he actually said he wants the notes burned. All I've definitely read he actually said was something like he doesn't want another writer to continue his series. And even there it was more of an offhand comment than a super serious proclamation.

I'm not certain they'd have someone finish the series when he dies, the last actual book would be 12+ years old, maybe they'd just publish his unfinished notes (as far as his estate allows) and call it a day.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anything ASOIAF that is unpublished, if not already claimed by HBO, the numerous publishers of the books, is going to be worth incredibly more than it is now because it could find actually finally see the light of day, even with the show having poisoned the franchise somewhat. Most of the remaining interest is in how much of it actually has answers and outcomes or if he's fully bogged down in something and no plan out because he has nothing planned. The actual writing is kinda uninteresting outside of sunk cost fallacy.

of course there isn't anything so its a moot point.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Anders posted:

The only promise GURM will ever hold is to burn all his manuscripts if he dies before it's finished

This is bullshit and GURM knows it

There is no way he actually has any notes at all

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

You can be a nerd just be stealth nerd
Trying to be clever over your stupid bullshit is even worse somehow. Like oh wow no one knows I named her Emilia because I liked the dragon show hehe he

On the other hand people have had so many stupider reasons for names and so many shittier people they've named their kids after so an actor on the dragon show might be best case scenario for whites 🤔 at least she didn't like commit war crimes in real life

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Give your kids strong names like bedrock and asphalt

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Give your kids strong names like tarquin and thundertruck

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Give your kids strong names like bedrock and asphalt

:hmmyes: Good proper Discworld troll names

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

pidan posted:

I'm not certain they'd have someone finish the series when he dies, the last actual book would be 12+ years old, maybe they'd just publish his unfinished notes (as far as his estate allows) and call it a day.

do you seriously doubt that at someone point they'll reboot the series? heck they're airing a prequel right now, this is a Disney owned IP and it has a track record within the cultural zeitgeist, they're going to milk it for all its worth.

maybe if they time things right they can use the legal disputes over gurms estate to ramp up hype for the season that finally adapts the "real" book

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They can definitely at the very least say "this is the GRRM cut", disavow the HBO version as D&D fanfic and redo everything from where the book starts to run out. Different actors sure but nerds like the alternate cut BS

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Brandon Sanderson is very Mormon and ASOIAF has an awful lot of tits and swears and loving. I don't think that's going to happen.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

They can definitely at the very least say "this is the GRRM cut", disavow the HBO version as D&D fanfic and redo everything from where the book starts to run out. Different actors sure but nerds like the alternate cut BS

Seasons 5, 6 and 7 were still popular, where would you make the cut? What about Aegon, Lady Stoneheart, Stannis killing his daughter and dying for no reason, all the other stupid changes they made?

It's not happening.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

emanresu tnuocca posted:

do you seriously doubt that at someone point they'll reboot the series? heck they're airing a prequel right now, this is a Disney owned IP and it has a track record within the cultural zeitgeist, they're going to milk it for all its worth.

maybe if they time things right they can use the legal disputes over gurms estate to ramp up hype for the season that finally adapts the "real" book

Disney owns the ASoIaF IP?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Well I guess tbf they will eventually

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Klungar posted:

Disney owns the ASoIaF IP?

Ah sorry, I confused Disney with the other company that owns 50% of all media and owns HBO and the rights to the TV series.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Trying to be clever over your stupid bullshit is even worse somehow. Like oh wow no one knows I named her Emilia because I liked the dragon show hehe he

On the other hand people have had so many stupider reasons for names and so many shittier people they've named their kids after so an actor on the dragon show might be best case scenario for whites 🤔 at least she didn't like commit war crimes in real life

Look, I'm just saying thousands of other people couldn't not name their kid Khaleesi, a made up fantasy word for Queen Of Fantasy Savage Brown People Who Ride Horses. I'm giving the barest amount of credit to my cousin for at least going, "hey what if we gave her a name that actually exists in the real world?"

What I'm saying is the bar is so low you can't even trip on it accidentally

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
ASoIaF DC multiverse crossover when?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

JumpinJackFlash posted:

Adapting the Jekuul storyline, General Zod and his family land on asoiaf-land and quickly become god-kings of New Krypton

This is probably an improvement

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JumpinJackFlash posted:

gently caress that, when's the Game of Thrones/90 Day Fiancee Expanded Universe crossover?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Arya did show up in that multiversus game that was really popular and then suddenly no one was talking about it anymore

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

JumpinJackFlash posted:

Ned Stark, dying : Cat... Woman...
Batman : :catstare:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

Arya did show up in that multiversus game that was really popular and then suddenly no one was talking about it anymore

The bad press and ill will generated from the WB-Discovery merger and the rise of David Zaslav kind of instantly iced any positive vibes surrounding that game and it just fell out of favor like a stone.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

The bad press and ill will generated from the WB-Discovery merger and the rise of David Zaslav kind of instantly iced any positive vibes surrounding that game and it just fell out of favor like a stone.

Did a quick search and it looks like it was an open beta, set to come back in '24

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/27/23658536/multiversus-open-beta-shutting-2024-launch

But you're also right. WB Games is the king of bad press and lovely practices.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They literally took it down without refunding the real money people put into it so everyone is decidedly pissed about it and will probably flop if they ever put it back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

also they took the more or less reasonable rate that you gained battle pass progress and character experience (two things that shouldn't be in fighting games but w/e it wasn't a big deal) and halved it to promote consistent engagement or whatever the gently caress. at that point everybody decided to consistently engage the uninstall button