Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I wonder what's worse - SC2 writing or Shadowlands writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Szarrukin posted:

Yes.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Szarrukin posted:

YMMV, but for me, the answer is unquestionably Shadowlands writing and it's not even close. A lot of SC2's lovely writing feels more self-contained, whereas Shadowlands' bullshit rewrites the entirety of previous Warcraft lore, the previous triumphs and failures, etc and makes most of it feel irrelevant due to forcing in the Jailer as some genius pulling every single string ever.

Or to put it differently: SC2's writing was a mess, but it doesn't make me look back and retroactively think less of SC/BW's storylines; it feels more like a bad sequel where things went off the rails. Shadowlands' writing worked so hard to invalidate all the previous storylines that the storylines of previous games/expansions actively feel worse because I know that canonically, it was all basically pointless - and even the successes were meaningless due to the Jailer's long long long con planning for us to temporarily succeed to further his plan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MagusofStars posted:

YMMV, but for me, the answer is unquestionably Shadowlands writing and it's not even close. A lot of SC2's lovely writing feels more self-contained, whereas Shadowlands' bullshit rewrites the entirety of previous Warcraft lore, the previous triumphs and failures, etc and makes most of it feel irrelevant due to forcing in the Jailer as some genius pulling every single string ever.

Or to put it differently: SC2's writing was a mess, but it doesn't make me look back and retroactively think less of SC/BW's storylines; it feels more like a bad sequel where things went off the rails. Shadowlands' writing worked so hard to invalidate all the previous storylines that the storylines of previous games/expansions actively feel worse because I know that canonically, it was all basically pointless - and even the successes were meaningless due to the Jailer's long long long con planning for us to temporarily succeed to further his plan.

This is my feeling as well.

SC2 mostly just ignores large parts of SC1's plot and characterization.

Shadowlands actively relishes going "Nuh uh, this is what REALLY happened you guys!"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And there's also the "poo poo story, but the gameplay's pretty good" factor as well.

I managed to get my way through to the end of SC2 even if literally everything about the epilogue permanently soured me on the series, but Shadowlands was just so aggressively "gently caress you and your time/investment into this" that I was already preparing to quit by the time everything about :blizz:'s culture came out.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Cythereal posted:

This is my feeling as well.

SC2 mostly just ignores large parts of SC1's plot and characterization.

Shadowlands actively relishes going "Nuh uh, this is what REALLY happened you guys!"

There is a lot more WOW writing to mess up, and it's already a series of retcons, so the whole thing is a lot more rickety. But rampant and baseless speculation on my part, both have the fingerprints of Steve Danuser.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A lot of small stuff in SC2 is written well or at least decent, even if all the big stuff is godawful.

I can't recall a single part of Shadowlands' writing that I thought was good.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Fajita Queen posted:

I can't recall a single part of Shadowlands' writing that I thought was good.
Theatre in the Night Fae afterlife.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I'd say that Shadowlands has greater overall badness, but SC2 drags it out so much longer.

Wings came out in 2010, Legacy came out in 2015. That's five long, long years where you might hold some semblance of hope that the writers will manage to unfuck things, only to reach the end and realize that they've been on a downward spiral the entire time.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
As it turns out, brain rot does not in fact stop but progress until there's only rot left.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MagusofStars posted:

I would argue that the damage to Starcraft as a setting is on-par with Shadowlands, if not greater. Most of the deeper lore was retconned out of existence, many of the characters were so thoroughly assassinated that they're basically separate people, and the tone of the setting was warped into something that completely diverges from the original series' feel. The Xel'Naga and Zerg got hit the hardest, having their history and motivation rewritten to the point where they only hold superficial resemblance to their original incarnations. For an example, there's an absolutely massive and almost impossibly stupid retcon that's coming up in the Protoss Thinkstone that I would say is the prototype to the Jailer's horseshit, and I will scream bloody murder when we get to it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

JohnKilltrane posted:

Yeah one thing I really enjoy about the Xel'Naga in the SC1 backstory is that they're kinda pushovers. They get chased off by the Protoss and eradicated by the Zerg, and both those races are significantly weaker at that time than they'd end up being by the time the game happens. Like the Zerg hadn't even left their homeworld yet. They hadn't assimilated any of the strains that would end up making them so deadly. It kinda gives this idea that the Xel'Naga were real big on science but weren't necessarily the most gifted when it came to military applications of that science. Like they're in the wrong genre and are actually Civilization players trying to rush the Science Victory at the expense of their military.

I felt like it was always more that they were... I want to say a bit naive? Blind to others' natures and their having agencies of their own, while also being very proud and confident in always getting things right. The Protoss wrecked the Xel'naga explicitly because the Xel'naga refused to fight back, because at that point they realized they had hosed up and caused the entire issue themselves. Even if the Protoss were just peasants with pitchforks, if you're refusing to use your Super Obliterator Beam X, then they're still going to poke your organs good.

With the Zerg, it was more a sense of complete surprise. The Xel'naga thought they had a psychic link that kept them constantly informed of what the Zerg were doing, and they only realized that link was cut by the time the burgeoning Overmind was ready to attack and their ships got brutally overwhelmed. Considering that they thought they were dealing with animals, not even a civilization of any relevance, the Xel'naga likely didn't bother to deploy any weapons or prepare their engines for fleeing or anything of that sort.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I always took the Xel'naga to be similar to the Ancients (or Lanteans) in Stargate, they advanced so far in science and technology that they, as a race, just kind of forgot how the world tends to work for the majority of sentient life (perhaps not helped by their societal stance of non-interference). Things like having instruction manuals for their tech, or putting safeguards in place (oh, the whoosh from establishing the wormhole in the gates vaporizes all matter it comes in contact with? well then don't stand in front of it, that's not hard). That, and just a general feeling of contempt towards every other race that is so far below them.

Eventually another race will surpass them and they just weren't paying attention because hubris gets everyone at some point

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I always wondered if the Zerg assimilated (or tried to assimilate) any of the Xel'naga, and what happened with that. Like, they would have at least tried, wouldn't they?

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

GunnerJ posted:

I always wondered if the Zerg assimilated (or tried to assimilate) any of the Xel'naga, and what happened with that. Like, they would have at least tried, wouldn't they?

I believe the manual for SC1 says they did, which is how they learned of the Protoss in the first place.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I kinda figured the Xel'Naga became the cerebrates, because they're corpulent, bickering endlessly, and constantly doing dumb things.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Felinoid posted:

I kinda figured the Xel'Naga became the cerebrates, because they're corpulent, bickering endlessly, and constantly doing dumb things.

The cerebrates were competent though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's entirely plausible that the Xel'naga just didn't have any physical qualities the Overmind thought was worth keeping.

They wereren't particularly fighters, clearly. No wonder they were trying to engineer a much more powerful species under their control.

Which is obviously exactly what their motivation is and we all know this, no need for any sequels to cover that ground again it's done

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Omobono posted:

The cerebrates were competent though.

Eh. A couple of them maybe. Certainly the one you played as was. But I also remember the absolute idiocy of one cerebrate that tried to rebel; arguably just so you could have a zerg v. zerg fight, but still. Plus given their size, I imagine each cerebrate is like a hundred Xel'Naga mashed into one to increase their brainpower, and even that doesn't stop them from being petty assholes all the time, even when it works directly against their own goals.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Felinoid posted:

Eh. A couple of them maybe. Certainly the one you played as was. But I also remember the absolute idiocy of one cerebrate that tried to rebel; arguably just so you could have a zerg v. zerg fight, but still. Plus given their size, I imagine each cerebrate is like a hundred Xel'Naga mashed into one to increase their brainpower, and even that doesn't stop them from being petty assholes all the time, even when it works directly against their own goals.

The zvz wasn't a rebelling cerberate. It was zasz's brood running around with no one at the reigns after the dark Templar deep six'd him. And they were generally pretty good at working together and most of their bickering was with Kerrigan, who had... a bit more of a personality than they were used to talking to.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

It has been a good while since I've played. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Still, fat slugs that constantly bitch about things seems on point for coming from the Xel'Naga, especially if they secretly remember what they used to be.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's no prospective follow-up to SC2, but WoW continues onwards. Wings of Liberty and Legacy of the Void more or less killed the series. I can't even think of where they would go next? Unless they bring in some other alien species, but the series is fundamentally about the interplay between the three races, so...

And it's a damned shame, we could use more RTS games.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Torrannor posted:

There's no prospective follow-up to SC2, but WoW continues onwards. Wings of Liberty and Legacy of the Void more or less killed the series. I can't even think of where they would go next? Unless they bring in some other alien species, but the series is fundamentally about the interplay between the three races, so...

There was the Nova Covert Ops mini-sequel-campaign thing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GunnerJ posted:

There was the Nova Covert Ops mini-sequel-campaign thing.

It wasn't that well received iirc. And I don't know why the SC devs are so fascinated with the psychic spies, the fate of StarCraft: Ghost should have been a lesson to them.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Psychic spies are fun, it's just that Blizz can't write anything for poo poo, psychic spies included.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

There has been some book stuff that’s set after the epilogue to SC2 that attempted to plant some sequel hooks (of the “planting the seeds for future conflicts” variety), but otherwise, the series seems to have withered away.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's been numerous allegations that Blizzard's tried making Starcraft sequels or spin-offs, but none got very far in development.

The most credible one I've heard, given the sources, is that Blizzard spent a while trying to make a Destiny clone set in Starcraft before that project got canned.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
They could set the next Starcraft 40000 years later.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

in fairness there have been over 120 campaign missions across the games. the well has to run dry sooner or later

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Torrannor posted:

There's no prospective follow-up to SC2, but WoW continues onwards.
The time frame between Brood War and the next Starcraft game was about 12 years. So with the end of SC2 coming out in 2016 with the Nova DLC, Blizzard still has a solid half-decade before SC3's potential completion date of 2028. Plenty of time, they're still on schedule! :v:

The non-joke answer of course is the boring business reality: WoW continued because it's a subscription MMORPG which needs to pump out a game every 24 months to keep people subbed while SC is an RTS that people buy once.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I wonder if there was ever a World of Starcraft in the works.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Ehh, I honestly doubt that they ever did anything serious. They were already in the middle of trying to kluge together Titan at the same time that SC2 was developed and released, and even then, one of their biggest concerns was that they would be shooting themselves in the foot with two big-name MMOs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PurpleXVI posted:

There's been numerous allegations from relatively reliable sources that Blizzard tried to make a Destiny clone based on Starcraft, an MMO looter shooter, after SC2.

Less reliable are claims that Blizzard tried to make a Battlefield type game with the property.

If there was ever a traditional MMO envisioned for the Starcraft universe, I haven't heard about it beyond wild speculation.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Storld of Starcraft

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

A bunch of the zerg retcons seem like they were meant to take them from an interchangeable swarm to something that can have unique individual MMO players

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

anilEhilated posted:

Prophecies are almost always Bad Storytelling, at least when played straight.

They're almost as much of a red flag for hack writing as Comic Book Deaths

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cythereal posted:

There's been numerous allegations from relatively reliable sources that Blizzard tried to make a Destiny clone based on Starcraft, an MMO looter shooter, after SC2.

Less reliable are claims that Blizzard tried to make a Battlefield type game with the property.

If there was ever a traditional MMO envisioned for the Starcraft universe, I haven't heard about it beyond wild speculation.
I've never even heard/read much in the way of "wild speculation" about it.

And based on what we know, there's no obvious point where it would have made sense for Blizzard to be secretly working on a World of Starcraft. When they were developing WoW as their first foray into the genre, the Starcraft IP was being developed for Ghost. Once WoW became wildly successful and they decided to build a successor to WoW, they instead chose to do Titan rather than using one of the existing IP. Then they canceled Titan rather than compete with their own still highly-successful product.

So while I'm sure they had some meetings or internal discussions about the concept over the years, there's not much reason to think they actually did any real development.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cythereal posted:

There was one in the works, but then StarCraft Universe happened and Blizzard was like "gently caress it, let them make it. If it's popular enough, we'll buy it off of them and turn it into a real product."

It was not, and so they did not.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

There's been numerous allegations that Blizzard's tried making Starcraft sequels or spin-offs, but none got very far in development.

The most credible one I've heard, given the sources, is that Blizzard spent a while trying to make a Destiny clone set in Starcraft before that project got canned.

It didn't help that right as Esports began to take off, and popularity of Starcraft 2 was at it's absolute peak... a vast network of corruption was uncovered in the main (South Korean) scene that murdered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Calax posted:

It didn't help that right as Esports began to take off, and popularity of Starcraft 2 was at it's absolute peak... a vast network of corruption was uncovered in the main (South Korean) scene that murdered it.

Oh wow, i hadn't heard of that, what exactly happened?