Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I'm not playing rn bc i cant powerlevel my friends who have less time to play and i dont wanna play by myself cause its boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I would love to see a slider added to the thing that lets you change world tiers that lets you set the non NMD level scaling to up to plus or minus 10 of your current level. I'd take it with or without some extra bonus or malus to rewards (since there already is one for fighting stronger or weaker monsters!), but I wouldn't be opposed to any means of speeding up leveling.

I'm enjoying playing a necromancer for the first time as my only seasonal character so far. I started with blood lance stuff, then did bone spear for a while, but at some point in my 50s I got the unique scythe and went full darkness. I wanted to use the sever aspect that sometimes spawns blights, but it was too inconsistent, so I switched to just blights directly and honestly it's been incredible. Especially once I got the unique gloves that makes corpse explosion send lil guys out, it's been all shadow damage over time all day. I definitely hit a level where it feels like the shadow aspects got a lot more fun - the "blight pulls in enemies" one in particular really makes blight feel good, and I didn't see that anywhere til I was in my 50s.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

McCoy Pauley posted:

I just had Penitent Greaves drop for my Necro, and I seem to recall there's some aspect or passive or something that these go well with, where you want to stack different kind of crowd control on enemies. Am I remembering that right? Is that something in my codex? A passive or skill I should be using?

Umbral aspect. It's in the codex at 25% of full strength. The actual drop is very rare, like all resource aspects

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What is the best way to figure out how to fix my build? Genuine question. I know there are places like maxroll and icyveins or whatever, but I've seen (in the bits of this thread I am able to read) that sometimes the builds in either place are not the best and/or out of date.

edit: Like yeah I've seen people drop bits in this thread about "x, y, and z skills" but I'm looking for like... a breakdown of the mechanics if the build, if thats a thing. Which support/passive skills to take that may not be obvious. Why I should take certain skills over others. Ect.

The maxroll blood lance guide has a pretty in depth breakdown of how it works mechanically including how overpower works which is key to gearing for blood and the game itself explains very little of

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Time posted:

??? I’m getting 1 or two paragon points per nm dungeon. They are easy now just run a higher level one and get levels insanely fast

I was running +20-25s and it takes like a dozen or more of them for a level with a pot & the blessing. What is higher level?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Anyone snagged any Razorplates in seasonal? I usually see 2-3 by this point, but a) I've gotten 0 so far and b) I've gotten basically every other non-chase unique

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I ve openned about 20-30 uncertain invoker boxes so far still no wrathful invoker

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

isk posted:

Anyone snagged any Razorplates in seasonal? I usually see 2-3 by this point, but a) I've gotten 0 so far and b) I've gotten basically every other non-chase unique

just got one about an hour ago on my necro. min roll 699 sacred :/

Mr. Pickles posted:

I ve openned about 20-30 uncertain invoker boxes so far still no wrathful invoker

i did another 20 today without seeing one. i must be up to around 40-50 off em. real weird that it’sa level 3 challenge

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'm doing very poorly with uncertain heart rolls too. I think I'm at about sixty and I've got 1 wrathful. To be fair, I've got plenty of the wrong wrathful from content. Feels like it's time to just push without the barber and farm tunnels once they're trivial.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Got attacked by butcher at lvl 13. What I like about this game is that it's just mindless left clicking with not much strategy involved.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

Oh hey thanks game.

Congrats! Did it drop before or after level 85 mobs? That's my pet theory. On eternal I didn't get it til then. Then on my way to 100 I got about 6 of them , about the same rate as the bear one.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I've actually started dying to the butcher again because apparently I can't kill him at +18 with my current gear. Also for some reason he doesn't count as "one enemy" to trigger my auto-decrepify heart.

Turns out the Butcher is actually your friend, he just can't help himself.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Hra Mormo posted:

I've actually started dying to the butcher again because apparently I can't kill him at +18 with my current gear. Also for some reason he doesn't count as "one enemy" to trigger my auto-decrepify heart.

Turns out the Butcher is actually your friend, he just can't help himself.

It's the Butcher Everywhere system. He's helping you level up :twisted::respek::buddy:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

harrygomm posted:

i did another 20 today without seeing one. i must be up to around 40-50 off em. real weird that it’sa level 3 challenge

You are kinda supposed to skip it I guess. To my understanding there's nothing to gain by going full OCD completionist on these journey chapters. Just complete at 9/11 who cares, and move to the next

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Mr. Pickles posted:

Did they address this in the fireside chat? It doesn't seem right for them to be so rare, I get that they are powerful, but most people have not seen a wrathful invoker drop before level 80 at least.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Enigma posted:

I respecced my sorc into ice shards, since I am too impatient to wait for the sorc meta in two weeks, and it’s just not quite clicking. Things either die fast and its fun, or its a lot of staring awkwardly at each other while i wait for cooldowns or mana.

This get’s a lot better once you gear up, but is awkward to start with. Eventually you will have enough CDR and mana cost reduction to just keep your ice shards up all the time.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Dravs posted:

Did they address this in the fireside chat? It doesn't seem right for them to be so rare, I get that they are powerful, but most people have not seen a wrathful invoker drop before level 80 at least.

I have no idea... I dont follow any of that stuff I just play whatever they release

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Mr. Pickles posted:

You are kinda supposed to skip it I guess. To my understanding there's nothing to gain by going full OCD completionist on these journey chapters. Just complete at 9/11 who cares, and move to the next

oh yeah there’s no real reason to do it, but i also don’t really need the mats for anything else so

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dravs posted:

They did not

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i thought it might have been leveled but i’m 71 now and my WT4 whisper caches are dropping non ancestral non sacred just regular ol yellow gear. like ilvl 520s. what’s up with that? i’m like 90% sure i was getting ancestral primarily by the time i hit wt4 in eternal

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

harrygomm posted:

i thought it might have been leveled but i’m 71 now and my WT4 whisper caches are dropping non ancestral non sacred just regular ol yellow gear. like ilvl 520s. what’s up with that? i’m like 90% sure i was getting ancestral primarily by the time i hit wt4 in eternal

Yeah, its mostly sacred items in the tree cache and in the world in general. Best way to gear up ancestral is to spam events and Mystery chests in Helltide. So much loot there. NM dungeons drop ancestrals too ofc, but as a new character in T4 your best chance for truckloads of good loot is Helltides

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Mebh posted:

Congrats! Did it drop before or after level 85 mobs? That's my pet theory. On eternal I didn't get it til then. Then on my way to 100 I got about 6 of them , about the same rate as the bear one.

I got it around 60

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Mr. Pickles posted:

Yeah, its mostly sacred items in the tree cache and in the world in general. Best way to gear up ancestral is to spam events and Mystery chests in Helltide. So much loot there. NM dungeons drop ancestrals too ofc, but as a new character in T4 your best chance for truckloads of good loot is Helltides

oh no i’m not having any issues with getting gear, it’s just that i remembered caches being at least worth doing for the contents before, at least in as much as they could be ancestral. oh well

same with gambling actually now since i just gambled a bunch of non sacred non ancestral yellow amulets at 72

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
do specific tunnels have a better chance of spawning a specific type of heart at the end? I'm trying to farm brutal ichor specifically because somehow I have way less of it than the others

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Managed Elias at 57 he took four tries though, so now seems the perfect time to do the remaining overworld and renown crap / malignant tunnels on this sorc, since I'll have 8 levels of optimal xp on the overworld

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Djarum posted:

They seem to have a big problem with power leveling for whatever reason. Like I have never ever heard anyone ever complain about it. I know in D3 it was what got a lot of people back into the game who took a long break. Few people want to put in a many, many day grind to level up multiple characters to cap. I have probably put in 24 or so hours of playtime into my Necro this season and I am only 68. Looking at my friends list a majority of people both in Season and eternal were somewhere between the late 60s and mid 70s. Which you have a majority of you playerbase burn out in that level range it’s a problem.

I hit 90 in the seasonal track tonight and finished it. I doubt I will hit 90 in the season at this rate.

Blizzard’s greatest fear is that you will *Finish The Content* and stop logging in until the next season and that will lead to a decline in MAUs that will cause people to Yell At Them.

To combat this they strive to make Finishing The Content as laborious a chore as they can, because much of their philosophy is grounded in the assumption that you won’t leave no matter how bad it gets, because alternative just aren’t Diablo.

It’s the abuser’s philosophy of game design, basically.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Once I get my reset druid back up to par, and eventually into WT4, could I drag a along a friend to Varshan? Like he's already completed the quest, but I'd be bringing the invoker and can farm the boss all day. I've never really tried multiplayer shenanigans in D4.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

do specific tunnels have a better chance of spawning a specific type of heart at the end? I'm trying to farm brutal ichor specifically because somehow I have way less of it than the others

The description will tell you what type of invoker you need.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm good for invokers I just want to know if specific tunnels have a fixed heart at the end

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm good for invokers I just want to know if specific tunnels have a fixed heart at the end

The thing you click on at the end of the tunnel always has a wrathful clickable and a clickable of whatever type this tunnel is. So if you go to a brutal tunnel there will be a wrathful growth and a brutal growth (I think that's what they're called)

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Yes. The tunnels which require specific invokers should have a matching elite at the end of the dungeon (unless you get the lucky wrathful roll, at least) and will also have a guaranteed growth of the same type you can burn one of those invokers on for a second of that variety.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Pickles posted:

poster on reddit had to do 80 before getting one

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Clicking the bad one will hang the game, btw.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Vegastar posted:

Yes. The tunnels which require specific invokers should have a matching elite at the end of the dungeon (unless you get the lucky wrathful roll, at least) and will also have a guaranteed growth of the same type you can burn one of those invokers on for a second of that variety.

is there a list of which tunnels have which elite/growth or is it a matter of just finding one that I need and resetting it? Trying to find out about this in a sea of AI SEO garbage is driving me nuts

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Has anyone figured out why it's twice as expensive to roll a random invoker and hope for a wrathful vs directly roll a random heart and hope for a wrathful? I've been hoarding all my dust

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

is there a list of which tunnels have which elite/growth or is it a matter of just finding one that I need and resetting it? Trying to find out about this in a sea of AI SEO garbage is driving me nuts

Just hover over the tunnel on the map and it’ll tell you in the dungeon description text.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

VanillaGorilla posted:

Blizzard’s greatest fear is that you will *Finish The Content* and stop logging in until the next season and that will lead to a decline in MAUs that will cause people to Yell At Them.

To combat this they strive to make Finishing The Content as laborious a chore as they can, because much of their philosophy is grounded in the assumption that you won’t leave no matter how bad it gets, because alternative just aren’t Diablo.

It’s the abuser’s philosophy of game design, basically.

drat yall really think like this?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

harrygomm posted:

drat yall really think like this?

I don't know we're literally like 2 weeks out from them lining up on a stream to tell us that they know they did a bad thing and they totally swear they'll never do it again. And you can just read about their investor calls to know what they're looking at in terms of valued outcome for basically everything they do (it's monthly active users).

I'm not saying you can't like the game or whatever, but you don't have to look particularly hard to find a whole bunch of people who enjoyed the initial offering but then ran face first into the treadmill they've designed to maintained engagement and bounced off hard. There's lots to like about the game but they definitely made a choice to push away from the models they had for maintaining engagement in D3 (which really embraced a model of cyclical engagement).

They've struggled with this in WoW over the years too with pretty similar patterns.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 31, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

great big cardboard tube posted:

Has anyone figured out why it's twice as expensive to roll a random invoker and hope for a wrathful vs directly roll a random heart and hope for a wrathful? I've been hoarding all my dust

i think the invokers either guarantees or have the possibility to be level 5 where the crafted hearts i think cap out at 4. not really a big difference though i think

in continuing my weird luck, i just finished a NMD and got a deathless visage and blood artisans cuirass from the end of dungeon reward and a frostburn from the boss drop

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Vegastar posted:

Just hover over the tunnel on the map and it’ll tell you in the dungeon description text.

ah I missed that, thank you!

I have absolutely no desire to keep track of how many mystery box invokers i've crafted because quite frankly it would destroy me when it finally dropped and I used it and I got a wrathful heart I couldn't use

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 31, 2023

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I remain convinced they left all the incomplete bits of the cow level stuff in the game specifically for the hype/press factor even though it’s clearly unfinished/not enabled. Little dataminer bait for some post launch news clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

great big cardboard tube posted:

Well I assume it's because using the invoker forces the drop to be a level 5 heart but I don't know for sure. I haven't actually used the craft a random heart thing

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I think the tunnels are always the same type, aren't they? Just read the tooltip on the in-game map