Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Alucard posted:

El Dunerino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Can someone please link Cunk on Dune again?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Ccs posted:

I was sent this excerpt from Brian Herbert and Kevin J Andersons new Princess of Dune book. Look I know you guys rag on Andersons writing a lot but I think he’s on to something here.

man, can't believe they've got John Scalzi ghostwriting for them now.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

Flakey posted:

Can someone please link Cunk on Dune again?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Thank you my naib

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

naib whut

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I can't remember what "naib" means.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

It's what Stilgar is, "chief" or its equivalent.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Naib please

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

shadout to all my naibs chillin' in their yalis

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Flakey posted:

It's what Stilgar is, "chief" or its equivalent.

Not right now, naib, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I think Herbert originally used the term sietchchief instead of naib to assuage his unslakable thirst for diphthongs

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

Not right now, naib, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

:ibadpop:

You know what this is? My new loving stilsuit
You know what that means? I'm getting some loving spice tonight
my boys, they're coming out, they all got the same stilsuit; they're getting some loving spice tonight

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

I think Herbert originally used the term sietchchief instead of naib to assuage his unslakable thirst for diphthongs

I think "naib" is straight from the first part of The Sabres of Paradise, much like a lot of fremen stuff.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
was making fun of brian herbert and a patron overheard me and said he read all of his books and I had to pretend they were indeed very enjoyable

he said the bene gesserit book was his fav

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

You didn't have to pretend, it's always ok to poo poo on the failson.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Flakey posted:

it's always ok to poo poo on the failson.

Ahh, the subtle wisdom of the desert folk

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Bi la kaifa

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
has anyone read the sisterhood of the bg book its okay you can tell me

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
the sisterhood of the space-travelling still-pants

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

was making fun of brian herbert and a patron overheard me and said he read all of his books and I had to pretend they were indeed very enjoyable

he said the bene gesserit book was his fav

a patron of what or whom

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There aren't any other Dune books than the one Frank Herbert wrote, as well as the Dune Encyclopedia :colbert:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I'm about a hundred pages in. I picked up because I'm interested in seeing where they take the (maybe) upcoming TV series. I've never read anything else by Brian Herbert.

It's - okay? It's not bad, but it's very far from great. It's pretty much at the level of quality of a decent 40K novel; basically entertaining, but don't expect anything you'll remember a week later.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Cessna posted:

I'm about a hundred pages in. I picked up because I'm interested in seeing where they take the (maybe) upcoming TV series. I've never read anything else by Brian Herbert.

It's - okay? It's not bad, but it's very far from great. It's pretty much at the level of quality of a decent 40K novel; basically entertaining, but don't expect anything you'll remember a week later.

Sounds like hot garbage and a waste of time OP.

Are we going to have to bring back the old title?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
shhh this is a safe space for brian herbert readers,

edit: until page 758 that is

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Flakey posted:

Sounds like hot garbage and a waste of time OP.

My dude, it's leisure reading. I'm not going to feel bad because I don't spend my down-time reading Marcel Proust.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Frank Herbert Dune is only barely a step up from Brian/KJA Dune anyway. It's fine to enjoy terrible things, which includes Dune.

Beefswelling.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Cessna posted:

My dude, it's leisure reading. I'm not going to feel bad because I don't spend my down-time reading Marcel Proust.

That's fair, I retract the waste of time part of what I said.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

disposablewords posted:

Frank Herbert Dune is only barely a step up from Brian/KJA Dune anyway. It's fine to enjoy terrible things, which includes Dune.

Beefswelling.

What's it like to be so wrong

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

disposablewords posted:

Frank Herbert Dune is only barely a step up from Brian/KJA Dune anyway.

I invoke the amtal rule

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

FBS posted:

I invoke the amtal rule

It's called kanly not can'tly

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

disposablewords posted:

Beefswelling.

May thy blade chip and shatter.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

kiimo posted:

What's it like to be so wrong

It's very fun and freeing.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

username/post anti-combo imho

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

disposablewords posted:

It's very fun and freeing.

So is taking your loving water, my naib

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Fremen, fremen, there is too much tension in our sietch.

Let us all partake of the Water of Life and of our jerky and have fun the only way fremen know how.

e: Where's our Sayyadina?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

disposablewords posted:

Beefswelling.

“the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: ‘theres actually zero difference between good & bad things. you imbecile.
you loving moron’”

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

disposablewords posted:

Beefswelling.

You have damp hands!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So is taking your loving water, my naib

Me, to the Fremen tribe disposablewords and I encountered on the bled:

*in rough Fremen*

"If you let me go free, you can use my friend's waterfat head for Polo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Look, I love Dune but also I love a lot of garbage, so the company it keeps just doesn't look good for Dune.

kiimo posted:

Me, to the Fremen tribe disposablewords and I encountered on the bled:

*in rough Fremen*

"If you let me go free, you can use my friend's waterfat head for Polo"

Also a lot of the dunks were good but this one made me laugh audibly. :cheers: