Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

regulargonzalez posted:

Falling Water was just an example, using a house that actually has its own name that would be widely understood. I guess to put it in more general terms: I see a house I like. It is 126 years old and not subject to copyright anymore. It was built following all proper channels. I am a cheap person and don't want to pay an architect to develop an entirely new set of blueprints that copy the house.

- are those house blueprints filed with the county Building and Planning department or something?

- are they freely available to the public?

- if both of the above are Yesses, aside from different building codes is there anything stopping me from using those blueprints?

- let's say a house I like is only 10 years old but I found the blueprints on theblueprintbay.org -- technically and realistically, is it viable to use them?

I am not a lawyer, but I was a contractor.

Depending on when and where the building was built, the drawings may be on file. Without being the owner of the building its unlikely they would give you a copy of the drawings, even if they had a way to reproduce what is probably over sized and to-scale hand drawn plans in the local town planning office.

Something that passed building code 100+ years ago is not likely to still pass code today. So you would need to hire architects/engineers to update the plans. Depending on who you hire to update the drawings, they may or may not be willing to go off of someone elses work. Wether you owned the property, and how long ago the drawings are from would likely affect this.

Yes, in theory, you could download some plans off the internet, and present them to the planning board. They aren't considered valid without an architect's stamp (kind of like getting something notarized). So you'd have to either hire an architect to redraw them (they usually won't stamp someone else's drawings) or you have to illegally recreate it.

You wouldn't download a house would you?!

edit: Lol beatean

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have zero clue on all of this, but imagine getting a DMCA takedown notice for your house :allears:

But I have for real seen paperwork/inspections get skipped or hosed up and had the city come down hard. Like, you didn't follow the proper inspection schedule for the insulation of the exterior walls so we're going to need you to go ahead and open all of them up to prove it was done right. Or a house I worked on that had an addition put on it years before the current owner purchased it, and we were lucky they didnt make them take it down entirely. But that was over a year of back and forth with the city.

Ironhead fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ironhead posted:

But I have for real seen paperwork/inspections get skipped or hosed up and had the city come down hard. Like, you didn't follow the proper inspection schedule for the insulation of the exterior walls so we're going to need you to go ahead and open all of them up to prove it was done right. Or a house I worked on that had an addition put on it years before the current owner purchased it, and we were lucky they didnt make them take it down entirely. But that was over a year of back and forth with the city.

The flip side of this is like some of the houses I've worked on where they plastered over a whole section of the house that wasn't on the plans submitted to the council and then paid the inspector to let it slide and when the final inspection is done we'd come in and rip all that temporary walling down and open up whole rooms that weren't meant to exist on the filed plans. So it can go either way depending on how much money you have to throw at people.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ironhead posted:

I am not a lawyer, but I was a contractor.

Stuff

Super interesting, thanks! So I assume those mail order tiny houses, they come with an architect-signed blueprint?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Inceltown posted:

The flip side of this is like some of the houses I've worked on where they plastered over a whole section of the house that wasn't on the plans submitted to the council and then paid the inspector to let it slide and when the final inspection is done we'd come in and rip all that temporary walling down and open up whole rooms that weren't meant to exist on the filed plans. So it can go either way depending on how much money you have to throw at people.

Haha yeah, I have definetely seen this before. Depends on how well you know the inspector and how much the client is willing to spend.

regulargonzalez posted:

Super interesting, thanks! So I assume those mail order tiny houses, they come with an architect-signed blueprint?

Yeah the mail order houses come with plans. Typically you can get an unstamped set of plans for relatively cheap from the company that did the drawings so you can review them. If you want to change anything, they will update the drawings, and then send you the finalized stamped plans. A set of plans runs around $1,000 for a fairly basic house. You can't pull permits with unstamped plans (for most things). Like, you can pull permits for doing a lay over asphalt shingle roof without drawings, because you aren't changing any structure.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I sometimes see goons post things like "Edit != Quote" or "Edit is not Quote". What do they mean by this? If they clicked the wrong button, why don't they just cancel the post?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's when they don't notice until they've hit Post on the quote post and it's too late for anything except trying to be funny about it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Throw IK+ buttons in the mix and sometimes you'll find yourself attempting to quote a post and accidentally editing someones and posting that "somebody hosed around with this" post on something that really didn't need a button haver to change.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We see people promoting Anderson replacement windows at nearly every event we go to. Free concert? They will have a tent. Earth day festival? They will be there. Craft show? Yep.

Does anyone know if these are hustling franchisees, or does the parent company just have a mega marketing arm?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
The heck is a snipe, and why are some good or bad? Do some top-of-page posts not have enough stuff in them to continue discussion or something?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

The heck is a snipe, and why are some good or bad? Do some top-of-page posts not have enough stuff in them to continue discussion or something?

They are neither good nor bad. On some other forums, people sincerely celebrate getting the top post. I imagine that was done here too, once upon a time, but now it's only something that's done ironically to bring back that memory or the practice on other forums. It's a bit of the serious/unserious thing going on here. Like, you can post seriously, but don't let anyone see that you're taking it seriously because you can't have people thinking that you actually care.

A low content post that opens a new page sometimes feels bad because it makes it harder to see for new page visitors that the discussion was about

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Imagine you're in a loud bar shooting the poo poo and suddenly everyone is quiet and you hear yourself finish a sentence, say something, anything, just a bit too loud, something that would have made sense in context but feels awkward without it and now everyone thinks you're a weirdo. People feel like that when they see their post at the top of the page unexpectedly, divorced from whatever was on the previous page. Exposed. Vulnerable to scrutiny.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

If I'm making a brief reply to a thread discussion and then see that my post happened to start a new page, I'll often edit the post to add a quote or two so that there's a bit of context for anyone who came in at this page. Like if it turns out this post snipes a new page, I'll go back and quote Yak Shaves Dot Com and maybe EricBauman at the top.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

smackfu posted:

We see people promoting Anderson replacement windows at nearly every event we go to. Free concert? They will have a tent. Earth day festival? They will be there. Craft show? Yep.

Does anyone know if these are hustling franchisees, or does the parent company just have a mega marketing arm?

So Andersen makes a ton of different styles of windows. They're known for good quality wood casement new construction windows. They also sell composite and vinyl windows, and sell replacement windows as well.They can be purhcased from "authorized dealers" eg lumber yards, and directly from the manufacturer. Then its up to you if you put them in yourself, hire a contractor, throw in the ocean, whatever you want they are you're windows. Renewal By Andersen are windows that are still made by Andersen, but I think they only sell composite (made from a mix of plastic and literally the saw dust left over from making regular Andersen windows) replacement windows (EG not designed for new construction, although If you're feeling froggy you could go ahead and frame out for them).

My understanding is with the Renewal by Andersen, they will not just sell you the windows. Like, you have to have their people install them. They get you to sign up for someone to come out and provide you with an estimate. They're going to to try to talk you into a bunch of poo poo you may or may not need, and then pay some independent contractor to come put in the new windows you're probably overpaying for. They aren't necessarily a scam, but the guys selling you those windows, and the services, make their money off upselling and markups. I did a few installs for one of the local guys back in Massachusetts when work was extremely slow. They paid by the window, and what they were paying was so litle I was lucky to break even for the day. The only reason I took the jobs was to keep my guys working, and after fuel and insurane I might have even lost money. So don't expect the best quality from the guys actually doing the work.

So yeah, a little bit of both. Andersen is loving huge, and makes the Renewal by Andersen replacement windows for relatively cheap. Then they have a bunch of independent retailers that basically are just middle men. They come out and sell you windows and services, and then they order the windows from Andersen, probably delivered directly to the jobsite via the distributor, then a contractor whose been hired knows very little about the job shows up and actually does the work. So the salesmen you see out in the wild are exactly that, just kind of scummy salesmen, but I wouldn't exactly call it a scam,

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
How can I hang a cotton and or polyester flag on the wall without damaging the wall? It doesn't want to stick to command strips.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 30, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pushpins, IMO. I know this leaves a small hole in the wall, but that shouldn't count as "damage".

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I thought about push pins but don't really want something visible.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

How can I hang a cotton and or polyester flag on the wall without damaging the wall? It doesn't want to stick to command strips.

Hooks in the ceiling or a flagpole on the floor

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Snipes prove to the rest of the world that you're in the top 2.5% of posters and you should be bragging about that. It's basically Mensa for posters.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Snipes prove to the rest of the world that you're in the top 2.5% of posters and you should be bragging about that. It's basically Mensa for posters.

I'm silently sniping 10% of my posts by using 10 posts per page

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

no offense but how have you been here since 2009 and you are just now asking this

it's not even an SA specific thing it used to be a fairly common thing people did on a lot of silly/off topic web forums back in that decade

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Earwicker posted:

no offense but how have you been here since 2009 and you are just now asking this

If you asked it in '09 you'd probably get banned. Celebrate this as the forums becoming a more tolerant space.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It’s unironically a thing on big YouTube channels. Although I think that developed on its own.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Imagine you're in a loud bar shooting the poo poo and suddenly everyone is quiet and you hear yourself finish a sentence, say something, anything, just a bit too loud, something that would have made sense in context but feels awkward without it and now everyone thinks you're a weirdo. People feel like that when they see their post at the top of the page unexpectedly, divorced from whatever was on the previous page. Exposed. Vulnerable to scrutiny.

This sums up how I feel about a lot of my posts tbh

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

:synpa:
:page3:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
A friend found an apartment that was pretty great but many residents complained online about the hot water supply, so I suggested they ask the landlord if they could install an electric tankless water heater in their in their unit. They dismissed the apartment for other reasons, but I'm really curious about what the landlord would have said. So I ask the crowd: What are the odds the landlord would have let them have an electric tankless water professionally installed? Has anyone ever heard of someone doing this? All of the google results about apartments and tankless heaters are landlords discussing the pros and cons.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ironhead posted:

So the salesmen you see out in the wild are exactly that, just kind of scummy salesmen, but I wouldn't exactly call it a scam,

Thanks, very useful info! “Luckily” we have a condo which shuts down their sales pitch immediately.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Are probiotics junk the same way vitamins “make expensive pee”?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

A friend found an apartment that was pretty great but many residents complained online about the hot water supply, so I suggested they ask the landlord if they could install an electric tankless water heater in their in their unit. They dismissed the apartment for other reasons, but I'm really curious about what the landlord would have said. So I ask the crowd: What are the odds the landlord would have let them have an electric tankless water professionally installed? Has anyone ever heard of someone doing this? All of the google results about apartments and tankless heaters are landlords discussing the pros and cons.
Doubtful, I think all electric tankless ones require a dedicated 240v circuit, almost certainly there isn't one already there and it'd be a pain to install one.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

obi_ant posted:

i dont know what you mean about vitamins, but probiotics are bacteria, which might or might not help you with digestive issues depending on what issues you have. you can get them in food form like yogurt or khefir, neither of which are junk, in fact they are very good- or you can get them in pill form, which i guess depends on where you get them. im sure some are fake/sketchy like with all pills. personally i just stick with yogurt.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Earwicker posted:

i dont know what you mean about vitamins, but probiotics are bacteria, which might or might not help you with digestive issues depending on what issues you have. you can get them in food form like yogurt or khefir, neither of which are junk, in fact they are very good- or you can get them in pill form, which i guess depends on where you get them. im sure some are fake/sketchy like with all pills. personally i just stick with yogurt.

I should’ve clarified, I meant the pills by the vitamins. I meant junk in the sense that you’re better off eating food to get better absorption of vitamins as opposed to an all encompassing pill.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

obi_ant posted:

I should’ve clarified, I meant the pills by the vitamins. I meant junk in the sense that you’re better off eating food to get better absorption of vitamins as opposed to an all encompassing pill.

The kind of food that contains lots of vitamins (i.e. fruit and veg) also contains tons of other good stuff so in that way you're better off eating good food rich in whatever vitamins you'd be taking in pill form.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Probiotics are great if you're taking antibiotics to counteract the antibiotics killing off your gut biome and giving you the shits.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

Probiotics are great if you're taking antibiotics to counteract the antibiotics killing off your gut biome and giving you the shits.

Probiotics also taste good (sauerkraut, kimchi, soured milk).

So it's a win win.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Probiotics have to be handled very carefully to avoid killing the organisms that live in them. If your sauerkraut has ever spent time unrefrigerated, it's just regular food.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

ultrafilter posted:

Probiotics have to be handled very carefully to avoid killing the organisms that live in them. If your sauerkraut has ever spent time unrefrigerated, it's just regular food.

Isn't sauerkraut made at room temp?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

Isn't sauerkraut made at room temp?

yes, when you are first fermenting it. but you need to refrigerate it once you open the jar and start eating it. otherwise different bacteria will get in there and gently caress it all up.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Earwicker posted:

it's not even an SA specific thing it used to be a fairly common thing people did on a lot of silly/off topic web forums back in that decade

People occasionally start off a page with a one word post or sentence fragment and then edit in what a bad snipe it was, as though looking down scornfully in their anemic wordchild. And then, drawing attention to a first post has always been frowned upon. But also the emoticons for sniping different page numbers exist.

I'm less of a comedy forum guy than a hobby forum guy so I guess I didn't have the pattern right.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
RE: probiotics, a lot of the bacteria going in dies in your stomach acid, so if it's your fave brand of sugary yogurt touting having probiotics added in, it's probably crap. I'd be suspicious of off the shelf pills for similar reasons.

And the 'vitamins make expensive pee' thing is less than vitamin pills aren't effective but more that the water-soluble ones pass out through your urine very quickly, so the high concentration of them is pointless. Fat soluble ones are more likely to stay. That said, if you're a modern person eating veggies you probably don't need to take a pill unless it's vitamin D.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RE: probiotics, a lot of the bacteria going in dies in your stomach acid, so if it's your fave brand of sugary yogurt touting having probiotics added in, it's probably crap.

Yogurt shouldn't have to tout having them "added in," they're inherent to the process of making yogurt. But that's marketing i guess.

Anyway I'm pretty sure there's evidence that eating yogurt does do some good things for your gut flora even if it's not anything miraculous

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ultrafilter posted:

Earwicker posted:

yes, when you are first fermenting it. but you need to refrigerate it once you open the jar and start eating it. otherwise different bacteria will get in there and gently caress it all up.

that's not how lactofermentation works. the whole point of it is to preserve food before refrigeration existed lmao. lactobacillus creates an environment that's hostile to pretty much anything that isn't lactobacillus, which is why lactofermentation works at all. as long as it's not like, directly being warmed by the sun then opportunistic yeasts and such shouldn't be able to get much foothold. sauerkraut will not "die" at room temperature, it'll thrive. if it needed refrigeration it would not have been a very good technology.

e: also iirc probiotic pills that have enteric coatings have shown that they do affect gut flora for as long as you take them, but it's unlikely that the bugs in fermented food would live long enough to take up residence.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My neighbour is vegan and way into health stuff and took supplements for a long time. Started feeling like poo poo but thought it was stress from work and whatever. When she started getting dizzy and having palpatations she went to the doctor and they did bloodtests.

Oops, waaay too much vitamine B6 (iirc) which can cause serious health issues and even lasting damage. Turns out her 'daily' multivitamin contained like 500% of the daily recommended amount.