Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Convenience store up the street from me has this new self checkout thing where you place your items under a scanner of sorts, touch a bunch of poo poo on a screen, then insert your money/card into a machine and it spits out your change. What if I want something from behind the register or some lottery tickets? Not sure how I feel about this or what problem it's solving, really, but I guess full self checkout is the future now. Supposedly it saves time but I felt like it made the transaction take longer.

And what do you do if something won't scan or the thing gives you the wrong change or something? Seems designed to just eliminate the cashier more than anything.

I think it is pretty fast with those self checkout things that just scan your items in the basket. Then tap your card and be done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BiggerBoat posted:

THinking of this. I can see elderly people in particular holding up the line and being confused at the process. I get frustrated because just because something CAN be done online or with tech, it doesn't mean it HAS to or that it's automatically better. I'm recalling the time I couldn't make a Labcorp appointment while standing in their actual office. My phone was not cooperating and I had to go home and schedule it on my laptop instead of just, you know, making an appointment with any number of the staff there and with any one of the computers that were right there.

I sort of see it as equivalent of building a wheelchair ramp vs. having someone bump you up the steps. It's a barrier that has been constructed that didn't need to be there if it was thought through better.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TACD posted:

it’s a good enough idea in theory. In practice they are constantly screaming at you for having too much / not enough weight on the scale because paranoia over shrink means it has to try to accurately weigh every loose envelope or shoelace you buy, the nature of moving parts + computers + potentially messy produce means they’re constantly broken down and in need of repair, and the combination of those factors means even in large supermarkets most of the self-checkouts are turned off outside of peak hours because there’s not enough staff to handle all the failure

The ones I've used lately have been a lot better but this was my main complaint with them awhile ago. Target especially was very paranoid about shoplifting so I remember there'd be almost no time between it noticing something and it telling you to wait there for an employee to help you out. And at that point why even have the self checkout.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I exclusively shop from self checkout and really get peeved when I can't. Not sure where y'all are but this is like the norm in the American suburbs outside of a big city here. They also usually only have 1 employee watching over around 6-8 machines so there's the cost savings.

Our one grocery store even set up one of the old checkouts as self checkout so you can load everything up on the belt and have more space to work with.

We also have an Amazon Fresh grocery store down the street where you apparently just load your cart up and walk out the door and the entire time there is stuff watching you and calculating your total. Haven't gone there yet though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Neo Rasa posted:

The ones I've used lately have been a lot better but this was my main complaint with them awhile ago. Target especially was very paranoid about shoplifting so I remember there'd be almost no time between it noticing something and it telling you to wait there for an employee to help you out. And at that point why even have the self checkout.

I went to target twice this past weekend, used self checkout both times and has absolutely no issues. I don’t think I was being speedy about it either, just normal speed scan and pack neatly into my canvas bags.

I literally have no idea what you guys are doing “wrong” to run into issues and at some point you can’t hold people’s hands any more after issuing “difficult” instructions like “scan item, and place in baggage area.”

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BiggerBoat posted:

Convenience store up the street from me has this new self checkout thing where you place your items under a scanner of sorts, touch a bunch of poo poo on a screen, then insert your money/card into a machine and it spits out your change. What if I want something from behind the register or some lottery tickets? Not sure how I feel about this or what problem it's solving, really, but I guess full self checkout is the future now. Supposedly it saves time but I felt like it made the transaction take longer.

And what do you do if something won't scan or the thing gives you the wrong change or something? Seems designed to just eliminate the cashier more than anything.

Every now and then you have someone take a full cart of groceries to a self-checkout and it takes them forever to go through it compared to an actual cashier doing it (even in the rare locations that have the conveyor belt setups for it). And if you try to scan items quickly at the self-checkout the system cannot keep up in addition to the usual "remove last item from the bagging area" errors that go off for the item you just scanned and other issues. It's fine for a hand basket of items but for a cart of items it sucks rear end.

At least Aldi's still exists (for some of us).

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Aldi's is pretty good but the one by me never has any bags for sale. Sometimes I forget my reusable bags and just want to buy a paper bag to carry my groceries home. The whole quarter for a cart thing is pretty annoying too, the parking lot at my Aldi's is tiny anyway so it's not like there's a place for a cart caddy outside of the store entrance anyway.

I like the self-checkout's at most stores now. They have mostly turned down the anti-theft weight sensor stuff that would constantly accuse you of stealing and the grocery stores around me have started putting in self-checkouts with conveyor belts for people who buy a lot of stuff at once.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I went to target twice this past weekend, used self checkout both times and has absolutely no issues. I don’t think I was being speedy about it either, just normal speed scan and pack neatly into my canvas bags.

I literally have no idea what you guys are doing “wrong” to run into issues and at some point you can’t hold people’s hands any more after issuing “difficult” instructions like “scan item, and place in baggage area.”

Earlier self checkouts were pretty picky about "unexpected item in bagging area" - I wonder if people just had bad experiences with that and have avoided them since, or some areas still just have older /pickier machines/software.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Self checkout is a good substitute for the express lane. I can only imagine how annoying it would be to use it for a week's worth of groceries for a family of four.

Boris Galerkin posted:

There's a goon who works on them. According to them, the first time a place gets self checkouts, the management turn the sensitivity all the way up thinking it will help reduce shrink. After a couple months of nonstop complaints, they finally relent and turn the sensitivity back down to normal.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TACD posted:

even in large supermarkets most of the self-checkouts are turned off outside of peak hours because there’s not enough staff to handle all the failure

I don't know which supermarkets you're using, but the ones I've been to have been all in on using them. They will have all of the self checkout lanes running, and then one or two regular checkout lanes for people with larger purchases.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
The self checkout booby trap that always gets me is that you're supposed to enter the PLU code for grapes, but the bag has a barcode on the bottom, so when you go to sit the grapes on the scale the built in scanner reads the barcode and throws up an error because that's not how grapes are supposed to be rung up, and now I have to wait for somebody to come clear it before I can continue.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Self checkout def has a convenience factor but I've witnessed scenarios where people are trying to check out with hundreds of items, spending long periods of time trying to make it price-match online retailers by scanning their phones with the barcode scanner, get stuck waiting for 20 mins for an attendant to approve their age for an alcohol scan, and many other ridiculous slowdowns. The single attendant at a target 8-register self checkout bank typically looks extremely stressed whenever it's near capacity. Stores where the ratio are 4 per attendant seem to run much smoother.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can use them and without running into issues and I do so from time to time. I just don't like them.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Some people like to have servants. I'd much rather do it myself.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jesus III posted:

:dafuq:

I prefer self checkout myself but this has to be the dumbest take I've seen on them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jesus III posted:

I like a second person who can scan things as I bag them, and who has the ability to scan multiple things before I have bagged the last one. Weirdly it may actually speed the entire process if I have a lot of items?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

I prefer self checkout myself but this has to be the dumbest take I've seen on them.

I mean, people who lord power over retail employees is 100% a thing, I don't think that's the people in this thread who don't like self-checkout.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shrecknet posted:

Fun Fact: Every fruit you buy from one of those self-checkout machines is a banana! Just type in 4011 and you're all set!

I read about a guy that stole electronics from Walmart by always saying they were carrots

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They aren’t a grocery store obviously, but the Uniqlo stores have awesome self-checkout options. You take all your clothes, dump them into the scanning area of your machine and it scans everything in like a second. You never need to scan anything yourself. It’s witchcraft.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah. A maid or personal shopping assistant that buys your groceries for you, like rich people has, would be a servant

A store employee is not

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Vegetable posted:

They aren’t a grocery store obviously, but the Uniqlo stores have awesome self-checkout options. You take all your clothes, dump them into the scanning area of your machine and it scans everything in like a second. You never need to scan anything yourself. It’s witchcraft.

RFID tags maybe

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
biggerboat's quarterly self checkout conversation

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In my town you can't take booze through the self-checkout which makes it pretty much worthless.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
You can tell which self checkout systems are built from the ground up on the assumption that you’re going to steal absolutely everything. Those are the nightmare ones.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I only use self checkout if I buy like, 5 items or less. Any more and buy the traditional

Tho the best part of self checkout is that the old fucks ahead of you can't pay by check. gently caress them

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I never used self-checkout, we dont have that here (Brazil) yet

But how do they prevent people from just taking stuff and leaving without paying? I figure that would be a big problem around here

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I hate self checkout and genuinely feel like it feels slower to shop and checkout nowadays than it ever had before self checkout. I remember when Walmart on a normal afternoon would have 12 registers open, and up to 24 on a busy day. Which basically ensured that no line had more than 3 people in it.

Now you get a line of 40 people all waiting for 20 self checkout registers, and maybe 2 actual cashiers on a busy day.

Yeah self checkout is convenient now but it feels less convenient and more time consuming than the pre self checkout era that was erased.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

But how do they prevent people from just taking stuff and leaving without paying? I figure that would be a big problem around here

That’s what some of the people here are complaining about.

Everything you scan has a weight, and the system expects you to place something that weighs that much into the area with the bags which has a scale under it.

People itt are complaining about it never being accurate and flagging the transaction, which requires a human to come and check/ok the checkout. On the other hand I’ve never had issues with this in forever.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

That said it is still incredibly easy to steal from self checkout basically anywhere. Just don't do the stupid 'pretend to scan' trick. Leave it in your cart, push the cart slightly forward, and the poor overworked operator having to solve issues on 20 self checkout registers on their own won't even notice.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

There's usually a security guard, plus some poor worker supervising the self-checkout, for very obvious theft. But yeah, you can absolutely sneak stuff out because they don't really care. Most supermarkets build in some degree of theft into their operating costs because the alternative is strip searching every customer.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Self checkout is the latest manifestation of capital's effort to discipline and control labor. As many posters have pointed out this probably doesnt really save money, when you take into account the babysitting, shrinkage, etc. The real value is to serve as an implicit reminder to the non-displaced workers that they too could be replaced and should keep their mouths shut and heads down.

I am in the northeast and the notable holdout to self checkouts is Market Basket, whose employees made national news in 2014 when they struck to keep the beloved billionaire owner in charge of the company. Although that is pretty cringe the general consensus is that the leadership of the company is extremely labor friendly, albeit on the old, tired, "we are a family!" model. The thing is they apparently live by this and as such do not feel compelled to deploy self checkout. Yet...

Edit: Apparently the CEO has made a statement against self checkout: "Further, Market Basket does not have self-checkout lanes. Company President Arthur T. Demoulas stated that he wanted "a human being waiting on a human being"."

skybolt_1 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 31, 2023

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

skybolt_1 posted:

Self checkout is the latest manifestation of capital's effort to discipline and control labor. As many posters have pointed out this probably doesnt really save money, when you take into account the babysitting, shrinkage, etc. The real value is to serve as an implicit reminder to the non-displaced workers that they too could be replaced and should keep their mouths shut and heads down.

I am in the northeast and the notable holdout to self checkouts is Market Basket, whose employees made national news in 2014 when they struck to keep the beloved billionaire owner in charge of the company. Although that is pretty cringe the general consensus is that the leadership of the company is extremely labor friendly, albeit on the old, tired, "we are a family!" model. The thing is they apparently live by this and as such do not feel compelled to deploy self checkout. Yet...

The real value of it is being nice and convenient for me, the customer

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

The real value of it is being nice and convenient for me, the customer

I guess if you are buying like 3 things sure but generally I'm buying a cart full of items and ringing and bagging them would take me like 10 minutes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

skybolt_1 posted:

I guess if you are buying like 3 things sure but generally I'm buying a cart full of items and ringing and bagging them would take me like 10 minutes.

No one else is bagging your poo poo in finland regardless so it takes about the same time.

It is also a big upside is that you don't need to queue behind the people with huge carts of stuff or the olds because they are probably on the regular checkouts.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

No one else is bagging your poo poo in finland regardless so it takes about the same time.

It is also a big upside is that you don't need to queue behind the people with huge carts of stuff or the olds because they are probably on the regular checkouts.

Cursed post. No baggers? Begone Satan!

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Nowhere around here has baggers anymore really. The only place that used to was Kroger, but they would pay certain disabled people a subminimum wage to bag and pull carts. Workers already knew they could be replaced, and stores were closing lines way before self-checkout became huge. Walmart used to have like 30 lanes with a max of 3 open before self-checkout.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Have you tried going down to your local library and grabbing the dvd box set?

Recent streaming originals tend not to have box sets. DVDs, alas, are obsolete for recent releases.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

skybolt_1 posted:

Sorry to break the news but I regularly use self checkout for 20 or so item sessions and fly through. Granted my habits have optimized over time to make it easier and I've had episodes of mess ups needing approval but I'll take it any day over the traditional checkout.

Though if I'm being honest it also caused one of my worst checkout experiences ever when I accidentally double scanned something and the person working was a total crab and she just couldn't figure out what happened or listen to me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Elias_Maluco posted:

People do that anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volmarias posted:

I don't know which supermarkets you're using, but the ones I've been to have been all in on using them. They will have all of the self checkout lanes running, and then one or two regular checkout lanes for people with larger purchases.

That's my experience as well. I use them almost exclusively these days, used to occasionally use the full-service lanes when doing bigger runs before COVID, not anymore.