Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For me Petanque is better than Bocce because it can cope with your yard being a bit of a state better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't know how widely available Finska is but it's good for uneven ground/yards.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

That's another name for the previously mentioned Molkky, which is definitely good on uneven yards, and even better on sand and gravel.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I'm biased but Mölkky really is good fun, can recommend. Although when playing with a large group of people don't play beyond someone winning (or at most until you have a top 3), waiting for everyone to finish can be a lot.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I ordered a copy of Horizons of Spirit Island, and by chance it arrived the same day as Nature Incarnate. I've got so many new spirits to try.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Jeezus didn't know we had so many bocce/pentaque diehards around here. Seems like I need to find a place to play it to see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm now thinking of getting them Mölkky as it looks like it's easier to play on a regular lawn. Bocce seems to be on dirt/super short grass. Then again, they are always going to their city/county parks so they probably could play any previously mentioned game there.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hosting a TI day tomorrow with only 5 players :negative:

I did draft Gene Sorcerers + Emirates though, so at least I've got 2 solid AF picks. Probably gonna go Sorcerers cause I haven't played them yet.
Did get Argent Flight + Embers of Muaat as my others... Round 1 War Sun is sooooooo goddamn tempting, particularly when you can just turn a system next to Mecatol Rex into a supernova with their Hero ability and just setup shop.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

I did draft Gene Sorcerers + Emirates though, so at least I've got 2 solid AF picks. Probably gonna go Sorcerers cause I haven't played them yet.
Did get Argent Flight + Embers of Muaat as my others... Round 1 War Sun is sooooooo goddamn tempting, particularly when you can just turn a system next to Mecatol Rex into a supernova with their Hero ability and just setup shop.

Just couldn't trick one... more... person... could you?

Whatever, 5 is fine, it'll probably take 8 hours anyway.

A friend of mine recently played Eclipse (my first time too) and TI:4 and it was interesting hearing his comparisons. I think he preferred TI's grander story to Eclipse's more condensed experience but since he played both basically back to back for the first time it was fascinating hearing his thoughts.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a
Re: bocce

If they live somewhere relatively hot, consider a set that has illuminated balls so they can play in the evening. My dad and uncle love bocce, but it’s miserable to play in the Texas summer unless you play after the sun sets.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Is bocce really substantially better than cornhole? I was looking at getting a cornhole set for a while but now am looking more deeply at bocce. Seems a bit more involved but also like more exciting stuff can happen.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Rolling > throwing

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Pvt. Parts posted:

Is bocce really substantially better than cornhole?

Absolutely

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I live in the midwest which means every single person I know is secretly an ace at cornhole ready to school me at a moment's notice.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Never heard of Mölkky, looks like a lot of fun (and better suited to longer lawns, less even ground, etc)

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Rolling > throwing

poo poo that makes a lot of sense

The Liner has spoken

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

I see I missed the Firefly all in, will have to get in on that.

Mr.Trifecta fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 28, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Rolling > throwing

More like throwing with backspin is super fun, getting it to land just so right next to the target ball.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The Eyes Have It posted:

Never heard of Mölkky, looks like a lot of fun (and better suited to longer lawns, less even ground, etc)

Yeah molkky is pretty good.

Palets breton is fun too, but it's definitely more of a drinking at a barbecue kind of game

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Argent and Hacan are solid picks and you'll have a good game with either. Mahact are a bear to play, but powerful. Muaat are trash, but I love them. They struggle to do many of the basic objectives and their economy is surprisingly fragile, but warsuns are always fun.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'll be teaching Troyes and Keyflower soon and I'd love any teaching tips you may have, goons! I've already played both on BGA before they arrived in the mail but they're pretty different from the euros I own and my group usually plays (Concordia, Hansa Teutonica, CoB, etc)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

Is bocce really substantially better than cornhole? I was looking at getting a cornhole set for a while but now am looking more deeply at bocce. Seems a bit more involved but also like more exciting stuff can happen.

Bocce also travels well, great game to bring to parks and such, size of a board game so easy to just keep a set in the trunk of the family car/SUV/APC.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Azran posted:

I'll be teaching Troyes and Keyflower soon and I'd love any teaching tips you may have, goons! I've already played both on BGA before they arrived in the mail but they're pretty different from the euros I own and my group usually plays (Concordia, Hansa Teutonica, CoB, etc)

As someone who's taught Troyes many times; some people find the dice purchasing and action activation mechanics extremely difficult to understand so make sure that gets explained in depth with plenty of examples. I'd also recommend picking out a fixed set of profession cards for a first game to avoid having to teach weird individual interactions to entirely new players. I might even consider not playing with the personality cards for a first play as I've seen people fixate hard on what is only a small handful of extra victory points to the detriment of actually playing the game "normally". If you have any "delayed" actions or actions which impact on the result of a group of dice, make sure that everyone knows exactly how those work (especially since they're not all the same)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Azran posted:

Keyflower is a bit of a nightmare to teach from experience. It's a weird hybrid concept, the scoring (aka the motivation for your decisions) is super delayed, and the art does it no favours. I tend to explain the worker placement part first, then the bidding so people can see that you buy good tiles as a sort of meeple factory.
Those tiles where you can exchange a specific coloured meep for a green meep? People like to invent a rule that you need to activate those with the colour you're going to exchange.
Nobody gets the move/upgrade thing. I think it's because the home tile is just sitting there at the start, when everyone is spending the first round activating tiles in the middle.
When barns come out, explain that the goods need to be on the tile to score. Like, really hammer that home that they need to do a lot of carting in winter.
Expect all new players to look at their winter tiles at the start of winter and add the 1 that's least awful for them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I find for teaching most games that discussing strategy during game learning tends to fall on deaf ears. The first game (often the first few games) is always a let’s make sure we get the rules right game. If it’s a game where the skill gap can create problems I’ll play looser and more experimental.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SettingSun posted:

I find for teaching most games that discussing strategy during game learning tends to fall on deaf ears. The first game (often the first few games) is always a let’s make sure we get the rules right game. If it’s a game where the skill gap can create problems I’ll play looser and more experimental.

I agree with this. Very occasionally I'll mention something which is not always clear, such as "In Concordia, you cannot buy another Senator, and it's the only one with Vesta, so there is no 'Vesta' strategy."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Never had an issue with teaching Keyflower compared to similar weight games. Transport/upgrade is the only hangup people tend to have, but they get it after doing it once or at most twice.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Infinitum posted:

There is an alternate 5 player map in the supplemental PDF’s if I’m remembering correctly.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's easy to make a TI map balanced for 5 by effectively making the map a cone with hyperlanes. But that'll never beat playing it with a full six.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Still a table hog, even with just 5

Ended up losing, cause Agenda phase cards are some bullllllllllllshit :v:
Should have been more aggressive early game, ah well that's showbiz baby

djfooboo posted:

There is an alternate 5 player map in the supplemental PDF’s if I’m remembering correctly.

Yeah we did hyperlanes. I've got TI+PoK

SettingSun posted:

But that'll never beat playing it with a full six.

The full 8 :colbert:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've had the pleasure of playing a full game of TI with 6 but not with 8. There's no way that's not a multi day experience!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've done it twice.

TI days are usually a 12 hour experience one way or another, with breaks for food and chatting, etc.
8 player TI requires you to really crack the whip and force decisions.

Next game I'm going to run the Alliance Variant mode.
2v2v2v2 :getin:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The game really breaks at 4 and 8 when every role is being taken every round. I get that people in an 8p game of TI are there more for the experience than a balanced fair game, but that swings it hard in favor of some factions.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I play TI the most at 4p and yeah I'm not a fan of all the strategy cards out every round.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

Still a table hog, even with just 5

What is this? A table for ants?

TI's table eating is atrocious and I am not sure there's a way around it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Once you hit 6 I gotta crack out extra tables, on a dining table that sits 8.
On my old dining table it was even worse. Just side tables everywhere.

Apparently I don't have photos of my 8 player games?
But they sit up the ends, and I crack out fold out side tables for extra space again

Ridiculous in the best way.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Does anyone have any recommendations on 2 player games to take camping? Normally I'd bring Race for the Galaxy but I've played it a ton and the other person I'm going with has never played so it wont be a fair matchup. Id like something on the meatier side if possible but open to suggestions.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Grundma posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on 2 player games to take camping? Normally I'd bring Race for the Galaxy but I've played it a ton and the other person I'm going with has never played so it wont be a fair matchup. Id like something on the meatier side if possible but open to suggestions.

Kaiju Table Battles

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Grundma posted:

Splendor shrinks real nice and needs very little room. No, it's not an incredible game but as far as simple, compact, and quick to play you can do a lot worse for what's in that package.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
If you're buying Splendor at 2p just go for Splendor Duel, much better suited to your needs and IMO much more interesting than base Splendor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Grundma posted:

Star Realms
Fugitive
Royal Visit

I really like Royal Visit, cause it has emergent play where the strategy completely changes from game to game.
Fugitive is also a top tier out-wit your opponent game (Get 1st Edition if you can, it comes in a magnet clip briefcase themed box which is very Secret Agent :3:)