Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Name Change posted:

Trump is beating DeSantis in the polling 54-17.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/31/us/politics/2024-poll-nyt-siena-trump-republicans.html

Difficult to see how DeSantis wins the nomination at this point, even with timely help from the wheels of justice.

https://twitter.com/SallyGold/status/1685992778444972032

I mean, what does a political party offer this guy? He doesn't care about, say, the affordability of or access to health care, or if he does it's all subsumed into some tangled web of misunderstanding, grievance, fantasy, and conspiracy.

Full quote from the article

quote:

“He might say mean things and make all the men cry because all the men are wearing your wife’s underpants and you can’t be a man anymore,” David Green, 69, a retail manager in Somersworth, N.H., said of Mr. Trump. “You got to be a little sissy and cry about everything. But at the end of the day, you want results. Donald Trump’s my guy. He’s proved it on a national level.”

This dude is still working a lovely middleman job four years past the retirement age, wouldn't you like a government that addressed those issues sir?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
What is Pence still doing in this race? He's the most baffling candidate to me, I can't imagine what his people are telling him to convince him he has even the slightest chance in hell

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

What is Pence still doing in this race? He's the most baffling candidate to me, I can't imagine what his people are telling him to convince him he has even the slightest chance in hell
Someone is giving him money

I don’t know who it is, but like Tim Scott is still in and he has the backing of one of the richest men in the country

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

Aren't most campaigns just a quick way to exchange dignity for a few million dollars? Even though he quite obviously sucks and is a loser non-canddidate, his former VP status pretty much guarantees he'll get some speculative donor cash that he can funnel into his personal coffers via astroturf book sales or whatever

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They all wishfully think Trump is going to jail and never be heard from again and you want to be in the game when that happens. It isn't, I think it's clear that even a convicted and imprisoned Donald Trump would still win the Republican primary, but these people are stupid.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SallyGold/status/1685992778444972032

I mean, what does a political party offer this guy? He doesn't care about, say, the affordability of or access to health care, or if he does it's all subsumed into some tangled web of misunderstanding, grievance, fantasy, and conspiracy.

Full quote from the article

This dude is still working a lovely middleman job four years past the retirement age, wouldn't you like a government that addressed those issues sir?

If you believe that the political system is incapable of solving material issues, have seen your quality of life steadily degrade over the last couple decades as everything gets somehow both shittier and more expensive, a political leader who you can at least trust to hurt your perceived enemies is better than one who sounds like every other politician you’ve ever heard, who didn’t even promise that much.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Gyges posted:

As long as Big Orange hangs on long enough to actually get on the ballots, we almost certainly see a dead man win the primary. MAGA has fully merged with QAnon, and none of them will believe he's actually dead. If we go to the RNC with a corpse candidate, then we're going to get one hell of a night of long knives, and Pudding Ron's chances are probably even worse than they are now in that scenario.

The other thing to remember is that whoever the RNC picks, it won't be trump. Since the chuds won't think trump is dead, they'll see nominating anyone else as the RNC stealing the nom from trump, and repub turnout will likely suffer. Even if 5% of chuds stay home (and if word gets out to 'stay home to send a message', it will be more), the Republicans would be crushed electorally.

Wouldn't that be fun?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Ron should do something totally not desperate like announce his VP running mate.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
After these past few years of watching Ron run for president by making up a new law every time Fox News said "jump," I can't even imagine what Florida will look like after four more years of it.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

Ron should do something totally not desperate like announce his VP running mate.

Trump should do this but pick more than one for an apprentice-style show where he makes Ron and Mike bring him coffee and compete in corny-yet-incriminating challenge games like a document destruction derby or ring kissing contest.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Live feed from the Pence/DeSantis VP contest

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ron announces Trump as his vp.

Trump announces Ron as his vp.

That would be hilarious.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

dwarf74 posted:

After these past few years of watching Ron run for president by making up a new law every time Fox News said "jump," I can't even imagine what Florida will look like after four more years of it.

The entire state is going to collapse, burn, and flood all at the same time when the next hurricane season decides to set the state in its sights. Insurers fleeing the state is not going to be kind.

The current season isn't projected to be too bad, but at this point it's playing the numbers with ever more loaded dice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Trump should do this but pick more than one for an apprentice-style show where he makes Ron and Mike bring him coffee and compete in corny-yet-incriminating challenge games like a document destruction derby or ring kissing contest.

The big man agrees!

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Like if he wasn't the tip of the spear for the anti-democratic forces at work in America, he'd be funny because he has the soul of a true shitposter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Morrow posted:

Like if he wasn't the tip of the spear for the anti-democratic forces at work in America, he'd be funny because he has the soul of a true shitposter.

Another notable result in that big NYT/Siena poll is that even though more Republicans think DeSantis is more likable, they think Trump is more "fun" by a 54-17 margin. Which is also the exact topline of the poll.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

selec posted:

have seen your quality of life steadily degrade over the last couple decades as everything gets somehow both shittier and more expensive, a political leader who you can at least trust to hurt your perceived enemies is better than one who sounds like every other politician you’ve ever heard, who didn’t even promise that much.
This does not describe the life of a majority of Trump voters. Stop making excuses for people who support inequality, bigotry and hatred.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

zoux posted:

The big man agrees!

"If I were to lose a bid for re-election, which of you would be willing to overturn the election and declare me the winner by default because it was full of illegal votes. Just the worst people voting. The voting was so bad I should get to run for a fourth term."

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

The best possible thing for DeSantis's chances in 2028 — and he'd already have a hell of a hill to climb anyway — would be getting the gently caress out of the race for 2024 as quickly as possible, but he can't because he's still in position to get the nomination if Trump ends up dead or in jail. Dude's locked in and the next, like, ten months are going to be one enormous kick in the dick after another.

Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Trump will be running in 2028 as well.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
one of the chaos options that would be 'interesting times' is both biden and trump succumb to olditis during the general

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mellow Seas posted:

This does not describe the life of a majority of Trump voters. Stop making excuses for people who support inequality, bigotry and hatred.

Saying someone wants to hurt your perceived enemies doesn’t sound like an excuse.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Saying someone wants to hurt your perceived enemies doesn’t sound like an excuse.

selec is pointing out Trump fans are some of the wealthiest Americans who've ever lived and are in fact not seeing their worlds decay.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mellow Seas posted:

It's weird how that keeps getting rolled out despite the hundreds of polls etc showing the average Trump voter to be quite middle class.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Well, fine, not an "excuse," but it has been given as a reason, and it's bullshit. These are the same people, and their children, who were pulling this poo poo in the late '60s. It has little if anything to do with post-Reagan dissatisfaction with the economic order.

They've always been here. MAGA. Tea Party. Reaganites. John Birch Society. KKK. Know nothings. Confederates.

These people are not mad for the same reasons selec is, and it's absurd of him to project his own views of the world onto these people who very clearly disagree with him (I assume?) on almost every political issue of the day. I think that nigh-universal disagreement suggests they might think slightly differently from selec, and it doesn't really make sense to assume they're mad for the same reasons that he is.

e:

selec posted:

have seen your quality of life steadily degrade over the last couple decades as everything gets somehow both shittier and more expensive

I wonder what these fine folks think is making their world shittier.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 31, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They are talking about a specific guy from an article and his like, not all Trump voters and not those specific rich assholes

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

They are talking about a specific guy from an article and his like, not all Trump voters and not those specific rich assholes

Oh, wild. Are there more details on this guy in the article or is all of this based on what was quoted?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Happy Monday. You’re all fired. All 30,000 of you.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/31/business/yellow-corp-closing/index.html

quote:

Yellow Corp., a 99-year-old trucking company that was once a dominant player in its field, halted operations Sunday and will lay off all 30,000 of its workers.

The unionized company has been in a battle with the Teamsters union, which represents about 22,000 drivers and dock workers at the company. Just a week ago the union canceled a threatened strike that had been prompted by the company failing to contribute to its pension and health insurance plans. The union granted the company an extra month to make the required payments.

But by midweek last week, the company had stopped picking up freight from its customers and was making deliveries only of freight already in its system, according to both the union and Satish Jindel, a trucking industry consultant.

While the union agreed not to go on strike against Yellow, it could not reach an agreement on a new contract with the trucking company, according to a memo sent to local unions Thursday by the Teamsters’ negotiating committee. The union said early Monday that it had been notified of the shutdown.

[…]

Jesus that sucks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Another interesting crosstab in that big poll is that Trump's highest support in the party comes from 18-29 year olds. Probably because if you are a young person in the Republican party, it's because you like how Trump is changing it. It's also probably why the GOP brand is going to be permanently radioactive to 18-29 year olds who are not Republicans.

https://twitter.com/aaronsibarium/status/1686035822850555904

That's why?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Boris Galerkin posted:

Happy Monday. You’re all fired. All 30,000 of you.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/31/business/yellow-corp-closing/index.html

Jesus that sucks.

What's the play there, reincorporate as Yellow2.0 and don't hire any union guys? Or did the whole executive board really just go "gently caress this poo poo, we're out"? Seems odd

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Languages of the oppressed:

Tired: Rioting

Wired: “He might say mean things & make all the men cry because all the men are wearing your wife’s underpants & you can’t be a man anymore. You got to be a little sissy & cry about everything."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Failed Imagineer posted:

What's the play there, reincorporate as Yellow2.0 and don't hire any union guys? Or did the whole executive board really just go "gently caress this poo poo, we're out"? Seems odd

Looks like they took the money and ran?

quote:

The closing is bad news not only for its employees and its customers, who generally used Yellow because it offered some of the cheapest rates in the trucking sector, but also for US taxpayers. The company received a $700 million loan from the federal government in 2020, a loan that resulted in taxpayers holding 30% of its outstanding stock. And the company still owed the Treasury department more than $700 million according to its most recently quarterly report, nearly half of the long-term debt on its books.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Boris Galerkin posted:

Looks like they took the money and ran?

Lmao that's awesome. It seems really illegal and definitely in breach of whatever terms they agreed to, but hey there's a pretty good chance no-one will ever bother to prosecute so why not give it a go

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lmao that's awesome. It seems really illegal and definitely in breach of whatever terms they agreed to, but hey there's a pretty good chance no-one will ever bother to prosecute so why not give it a go

I don’t really understand any of this poo poo but apparently their stock closed at $0.71 Friday but as of right now it’s jumped up to $1.38.

As always some rich assholes are making money off of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1686016551147737089

Tuberville is about to blow up the Senate's whole UC system

quote:

Because of Tuberville’s blockade, the Marine Corps is now running without a commandant, the highest-ranking officer of the branch, for the first time in over 150 years. Sen. Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska) explored going around Tuberville’s hold and forcing a vote this week on confirming the nominee to that post, an incredibly rare move for the minority party.

Ultimately, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell successfully argued against it, in part because of the precedent it would set for the chamber’s minority party to force votes, according to a person familiar with the matter. The Senate left Thursday with no solution.

Internally, McConnell has argued that while protecting individual senator’s rights is important, going too far could force the Democratic majority to change the rules and strip those rights away, according to a person familiar with the conversations. Still, Tuberville said McConnell has remained somewhat supportive.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Mellow Seas posted:

Languages of the oppressed:

Tired: Rioting

Wired: “He might say mean things & make all the men cry because all the men are wearing your wife’s underpants & you can’t be a man anymore. You got to be a little sissy & cry about everything."

The claim is correct that the guy probably doesn't believe voting will affect his material conditions, it's just that it's likely not in an anti-electoralist leftist sense at all. Knowing plenty of middle-management MAGA people like him it's because on a deeper level they understand that they won't be seriously hurt regardless of who wins any given election, and therefore it's about vibes and relative standing next to others.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

selec posted:

If you believe that the political system is incapable of solving material issues, have seen your quality of life steadily degrade over the last couple decades as everything gets somehow both shittier and more expensive, a political leader who you can at least trust to hurt your perceived enemies is better than one who sounds like every other politician you’ve ever heard, who didn’t even promise that much.

Mellow Seas posted:

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Oh, wild. Are there more details on this guy in the article or is all of this based on what was quoted?

Since the economic demographics of who is being interviewed in the article and Trump voters writ large is a topic of discussion, let's actually read the article and see who was interviewed:

quote:

“He might say mean things and make all the men cry because all the men are wearing your wife’s underpants and you can’t be a man anymore,” David Green, 69, a retail manager in Somersworth, N.H., said of Mr. Trump.

“DeSantis, I have high hopes. But as long as Trump’s there, Trump’s the man,” said Daniel Brown, 58, a retired technician at a nuclear plant from Bumpass, Va.

“If he wasn’t running against Trump, DeSantis would be my very next choice,” said Stanton Strohmenger, 48, a maintenance technician in Washington Township, Ohio.

“He does not come across with humor,” Sandra Reher, 75, a retired teacher in Farmingdale, N.J., said of Mr. DeSantis.

But the poll showed Mr. Trump lapping Mr. DeSantis among likely Republican primary voters earning less than $50,000, 65 percent to 9 percent.

Marcel Paba, a 22-year-old server in Miami, said he liked what Mr. DeSantis had done for his state but didn’t think the governor could overcome the enthusiasm for Mr. Trump.

Emphases mine. The retail manager could be making anywhere from $40k-$150k, more info needed. The nuclear powerplant technician certainly was compensated well. Everyone else? Not exactly the bourgeoisie.

So yeah, probably all car dealership owners are Trump voters, but let's not pretend all Trump voters own car dealerships. There's plenty of people voting Trump who are in poor material conditions, and I think selec is right, at least to an extent: if you know (either implicitly or explicitly) that neither party will improve your material existence, then you'll vote for the party that acknowledges and indulges your feelings, as destructive and misplaced they may be.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

So yeah, probably all car dealership owners are Trump voters, but let's not pretend all Trump voters own car dealerships. There's plenty of people voting Trump who are in poor material conditions, and I think selec is right, at least to an extent: if you know (either implicitly or explicitly) that neither party will improve your material existence, then you'll vote for the party that acknowledges and indulges your feelings, as destructive and misplaced they may be.

Yah but this is a subset of a subset. These are Republican voters and are likely going to be in line with Trump's numbers within the party will be. It shouldn't shock you that likely Republican voters are supporting Trump.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Judgy Fucker posted:

To be perfectly honest, I think you give them too much credit on the first part. People generally aren’t aware of how individual party policies will/would affect their personal situation.

I would argue the majority just skip to #2 and go straight to gut feeling and natural bigotry.

Source: Every republican I work with.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Judgy Fucker posted:

]if you know (either implicitly or explicitly) that neither party will improve your material existence, then you'll vote for the party that acknowledges and indulges your feelings, as destructive and misplaced they may be.
People who are committed to the Republican ideology do not believe the government can help them, and generally want to abolish as much of it as they can. Why would the Democrats promising or proposing policies to improve their material existence move them? They believe government aid is actively harmful the economy, and are constantly yelling about it, and I don't see any reason not to believe them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yah but this is a subset of a subset. These are Republican voters and are likely going to be in line with Trump's numbers within the party will be. It shouldn't shock you that likely Republican voters are supporting Trump.

Chicken or the egg. Why are they GOP primary voters? Specifically, the people making less than $50k a year?

Mellow Seas posted:

People who are committed to the Republican ideology do not believe the government can help them, and generally want to abolish as much of it as they can. Why would the Democrats promising or proposing policies to improve their material existence move them? They believe government aid is actively harmful the economy, and are constantly yelling about it, and I don't see any reason not to believe them.

Why do you think that is?