Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Living immediately next to a metro station will give you such a powerful convenience boner that you die.

I visited Washington DC and got a hotel right next to a metro station, and I have to say, I had at least a half-chub the whole time. If I lived at that spot it probably would have been full on death boner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Men want one thing and it’s an U-Bahn going directly through the second floor

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm from a mid-sized Midwestern city. Effective public transportation is an aphrodisiac for me.

My city was so close to having a Subway system. You can still visit the tunnels.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Eifert Posting posted:

This is close to exploit territory but is there some sort of mod that overhauls the noise pollution system? I get that you're going to be pretty miserable if there's a highway on one side of your house and a heavy industry rail on the other, But the only disease you're going to die of as a result of living right next to a metro station is priapism.
Trees are a sound barrier, if you didn't know. You can just plant trees all around the offender.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Much like in real life, it helps a lot to have open spaces and greenery in a city.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm from a mid-sized Midwestern city. Effective public transportation is an aphrodisiac for me.

My city was so close to having a Subway system. You can still visit the tunnels.

I'm from a small Midwestern city and when I moved to Chicago one of my high priorities was being within walking distance of an el stop. I can get to O'Hare and back any time I want for five bucks. gently caress taking an Uber.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Latest dev diary, looks like total CS2 map is 5 times bigger than the previous CS1 vanilla map, however about half the size of the CS1 map with 81 tiles mod.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

link to the dev diary

quote:

Additionally, the Map Tiles do not have to be connected to each other, so technically you can create small isolated pocket towns, and you can purchase the Map Tiles all the way to the edge of the map where you can create new Outside Connections. But wait, there’s more! The map height limit is much higher than before adding much more flexibility and freedom in how your dream city will look.
cool

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iEHx9kVcoU

Map sizes:
23 x 23 squares for total of 529 squares.
or
12.6 km x 12.6 km = 159 km2
Each square is 0.55 km x 0.55 km for total of 0.3 km2

You start with 9 squares unlocked
441 tiles to unlock. (Not sure if original 9 are included)

For comparison CS1:
Each squares is 1.92 km x 1.92 km = 3.7 km2
5x5 map = 92 km2
9x9 map = 298 km2

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

That’s actually really cool. You can set up two separate cities without having to buy all the tiles in the middle.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Latest dev diary, looks like total CS2 map is 5 times bigger than the previous CS1 vanilla map, however about half the size of the CS1 map with 81 tiles mod.

The playable area is 5 times bigger than the vanilla PC playable area. The total unlockable area of a CS2 map is a little bit larger, you can only purchase 441 tiles but there are 529 on the map. I think it's around 174 km2? The size of the total map is actually dramatically larger than what was in CS1, but outside of the tiles it's some kind of super weird low res LOD terrain.

They also didn't say anything about height maps or the map editor. These fuckers...

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This rules. When I made my most recent city off the gimhei map My biggest annoyance was having to buy a bunch of useless tiles to get to the part of the map that I wanted. Hopefully it launches with the fishing and agricultural content that OG CS has, setting up small satellite towns for food production is rad.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 31, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Guess it's not a surprise that all the talk about bigger was about nine tiles, not the whole map. I wonder how that edge terrain is going to work. If I'm understanding correctly, even with the inevitable all tiles mods the area will be quite a bit smaller than a 81 tile CS:1 map, and I'm guessing that edge terrain is just like the fog in 1 and you can't do anything with it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Issaries posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iEHx9kVcoU

Map sizes:
23 x 23 squares for total of 529 squares.
or
12.6 km x 12.6 km = 159 km2
Each square is 0.55 km x 0.55 km for total of 0.3 km2

You start with 9 squares unlocked
441 tiles to unlock. (Not sure if original 9 are included)

For comparison CS1:
Each squares is 1.92 km x 1.92 km = 3.7 km2
5x5 map = 92 km2
9x9 map = 298 km2

So the squares themselves are smaller but more to unlock?

I'm glad it's smaller! I'm horrible with my builds and layouts with so much room. Feel like less room is going to be much easier to plan out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really wish they'd talk about modding. I have so many questions and they won't answer them, all their Q&A sessions just repeat stuff in the videos and the YouTube guys who have played the game also are NDA'd from talking about anything that hasn't been in a video. I've seen prominent modding community people say they've stopped making CS1 mods and are working on CS2 ones and I don't know if that means they were given access too or they're just making high res building models or what.

E: Also hope there are trees in that outside of map area. Going to look real weird to have a forest that just ends in an expanse of barren pixels.

E2: You have to develop the city quite a bit to unlock agriculture, lol. I actually kind of like having progression in the game but come on. Farms should be available at the beginning.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 31, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are we thinking that ram is going to be as much of a factor as it is in the original game?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Probably. They've said the performance is much better and I've also seen the YouTube nerds confirm that. But they've also removed the hard limits on how many agents and stuff you can have, so the beefier the computer the more you can build before it shits itself.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Have they removed the utterly idiotic things like deer or birds, that also takes up agent spaces?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dunno. They've explicitly said there are no agent limits anymore though. Things like building and node limits being gone are assumed but not confirmed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Grand Fromage posted:

E2: You have to develop the city quite a bit to unlock agriculture, lol. I actually kind of like having progression in the game but come on. Farms should be available at the beginning.
No, surely you jest

e: it’s real :negative:

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 31, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Listen everybody knows you need to have a population of at least 12.5 thousand to grow crops. That's why the human race starved to death in 6500 BCE.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

Agriculture is one of the first things you unlock, though. The first four milestones are for incredibly basic features like being able to adjust budgets or even getting taxes.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm used to not knowing how to use my legs until the tutorial teaches me the run button. Whatever.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I liked it just fine in CS, I think it's a nice on-ramp for new players and if you haven't played in a while. Just settle down, build some roads and zone something because it's literally all you can do, and we'll unlock the real game for you after you get acclimated.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm sure you'll be able to play without stupid arbitrary milestones too.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's not like it's preindustrial agriculture anyways, C:S isn't that sort of game. The buildings do need some actual urban support.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I really like that tiles don't have to be connected any more, though. I'm eager to build a proper city at the start that'll grow into my downtown, some suburbs, and a Bad Part Of Town where all the Industrial zoning is.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if you'll be able to build networks in non-owned tiles for connection purposes.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm sure you'll be able to play without stupid arbitrary milestones too.

There's an 'unlock all' option on the city create screen, but using 'unlock all' or 'infinite money' disables achievements for that city.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I see that in the CS2 videos on the start screen, it lists natural resources. Coal and oil have a value on there. Is it the same in CS1? I suppose they don't replenish over time and pretty much force you into renewables at some point?

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
CS1 had the option of making resources infinite.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Combat Pretzel posted:

I see that in the CS2 videos on the start screen, it lists natural resources. Coal and oil have a value on there. Is it the same in CS1? I suppose they don't replenish over time and pretty much force you into renewables at some point?

Yep, they don't have a replenishment rate. The info views show the replenishment rate for resources that have it.
Keep in mind you can always import from outside connections.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

E: Also hope there are trees in that outside of map area. Going to look real weird to have a forest that just ends in an expanse of barren pixels.

I wish it just terminated at the edge of the overall map instead of continuing on into generated terrain. They are trying so hard not to break immersion with a sharp world edge that they are ending up breaking immersion with goofy rolling hills.

Also, am I the only one that thinks the game looks bad? No one else is talking about it. I am still supremely disappointed at shadow details. It looks like a 2015 game, not a 2023 one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ExtraNoise posted:

Also, am I the only one that thinks the game looks bad? No one else is talking about it. I am still supremely disappointed at shadow details. It looks like a 2015 game, not a 2023 one.

I see a lot of people complaining about it. I don't really know what they're talking about. There are some LOD issues in the videos and missing textures but it's a beta. The assets aren't as high quality as a lot of workshop stuff, I didn't expect they would be though. Big difference between studio artists making 90,000 things and one dude spending a month crafting a perfect building. Nothing is goofy the way the vanilla stuff in the first game was. CS1 came out in 2015 and if you think this looks like that, I dunno what to tell you man. It doesn't.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ExtraNoise posted:

I wish it just terminated at the edge of the overall map instead of continuing on into generated terrain. They are trying so hard not to break immersion with a sharp world edge that they are ending up breaking immersion with goofy rolling hills.

I don't think that it's generated terrain.

The actual outlying areas they've shown on these maps look like they just ripped an SRTM height map or something and then touched up the playable area somehow. A lot of those artifacts and uneven resolution are exactly what you'd see in DEMs like that.

As for the game looking bad, the map themes aren't really doing them any favors. They don't look like they're making much use of the alpha channel, if those even still exist, which I think is probably the most important part for getting a natural looking theme.

Here's a comparison of CO's temperate theme vs a custom one:

CO's theme switches from the grass texture to the rock texture at much shallower inclines, which I think kinda makes it look not great. CS2 looks like it's a little better about this but is still a lot shallower than a decent chunk of the most popular map themes and still like it wouldn't work super well for more believably scaled terrain features.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I see a lot of people complaining about it. I don't really know what they're talking about. There are some LOD issues in the videos and missing textures but it's a beta. The assets aren't as high quality as a lot of workshop stuff, I didn't expect they would be though. Big difference between studio artists making 90,000 things and one dude spending a month crafting a perfect building. Nothing is goofy the way the vanilla stuff in the first game was. CS1 came out in 2015 and if you think this looks like that, I dunno what to tell you man. It doesn't.

I actually think the building assets look pretty good. They seem adequately detailed.

I took some screengrabs from the latest vid of what I'm referring to:

Lot of flickery shadows with jagged shapes and soft edges. I'd say this is something they'll probably fix before release, but we're inside of three months to release and I don't think there are going to be too many code changes from here on out. Pretty sure this is what's shipping.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
City Planner Plays has pointed out that they appear to be using footage from different versions of the game, with some bits showing visual bugs that aren't present elsewhere.
Judging visual bugs from a single scene is probably not very indicative.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Jesus those tight screen grabs make the game look totally loving unplayable. What a disappointment.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I think it looks good.

It isn't the quality of the graphics I'm interested in, per se, its that they actually represent a city properly. CS1 looked pretty bad because a lot of its buildings were dumb looking and didn't fit in with each other. SC4, while old, still looks good because it had a good and consistent art style that let you understand what you were looking at. The videos I've seen so far look pretty promising.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It’s a city simulator, I couldn’t care less if the rear end hairs on the office building’s janitor are depicted in HD realism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It’s a city simulator, I couldn’t care less if the rear end hairs on the office building’s janitor are depicted in HD realism

i've heard that the full release of Star Citizen is going to include a fully realistic urban planner career path with realistically simulated city council meetings and driveable road-painting vechicles