Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm entirely certain that people are a problem we need to solve. Nobody seems comfortable with my solutions though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I would never trust the technical advice of somebody who takes my feelings into account

lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I would never trust the technical advice of somebody who takes my feelings into account

This kind of bullshit is exactly why our industry has a problem and a stereotype.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

This kind of bullshit is exactly why our industry has a problem and a stereotype.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm entirely certain that people are a problem we need to solve. Nobody seems comfortable with my solutions though.

No worries, it's going to take care of itself!

CLAM DOWN posted:

While true, I am fairly sure OP was joking

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Those of us with a modicum of people skills tend to excel because of this phenomenon so feel free to keep it up lol

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Diqnol posted:

Those of us with a modicum of people skills tend to excel because of this phenomenon so feel free to keep it up lol

I take the specs to the engineers

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Diqnol posted:

Have fun, I am quite happy not being a professional people person

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

tokin opposition posted:

Finished my PowerShell script and somehow it works. Gonna send it to the greybeard to see if he has any tips and look into error catching. Legit sad I didn't have time to finish it today but I've already got like two hours of time to flex off next week.

I feel the "Somehow it works" with powershell big time. I spent most of my time learning a fair amount of it throughout the week because we had nothing better to do.

My goal is pretty simple, I'm just making a GUI so people can input data, it'll check for if a folder is made and if not it'll make it using the serial code + today's date.

Also as an update, I spoke to my boss yesterday about what I mentioned in my last post regarding the problems with our IAM/really slow rollout of necessary equipment to do our job. We don't seem to know *who* our IT department is and he's never even met any of them in the three years he's been at this place.

Turns out all of our requests get sent to an e-mail address remote that's just <company_name_IT@domain.com>. Not even as a support ticket, just an e-mail. So.. yeah, it's hard to tell if there's even a road to hoe here, let alone if we can change anything.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Susat posted:

My goal is pretty simple, I'm just making a GUI so people can input data, it'll check for if a folder is made and if not it'll make it using the serial code + today's date.

powershell is a bad tool for making a gui

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The Fool posted:

https://flutter.dev

For real, if you're gonna write a gui for anything, USE THIS.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 30, 2023

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Have fun, I am quite happy not being a professional people person

Lol that you assume thats what I mean. It is a great thing to be able to be technical and half decent at talking with people. You are not a “professional people person” just because the person on the other end of the interaction doesn’t feel the need for mental mouthwash after speaking with you

E: we may not like it as an industry but all of our companies are run by people so it behooves us to learn their systems as well as the others we manage if we want to be most successful

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 30, 2023

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Susat posted:

Turns out all of our requests get sent to an e-mail address remote that's just <company_name_IT@domain.com>. Not even as a support ticket, just an e-mail. So.. yeah, it's hard to tell if there's even a road to hoe here, let alone if we can change anything.

Are you sure there IS an IT department?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The IT department is someone in this thread’s side gig

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Diqnol posted:

Lol that you assume thats what I mean. It is a great thing to be able to be technical and half decent at talking with people. You are not a “professional people person” just because the person on the other end of the interaction doesn’t feel the need for mental mouthwash after speaking with you

E: we may not like it as an industry but all of our companies are run by people so it behooves us to learn their systems as well as the others we manage if we want to be most successful

I’ve had success by being sympathetic when people are explaining what their problem is and being straight up with them if it’s something that can be fixed given the resources at hand.

Being sincere and talking like a Real Human Person goes far too so far as it’s not someone Corporate poisoned.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tehinternet posted:

I’ve had success by being sympathetic when people are explaining what their problem is and being straight up with them if it’s something that can be fixed given the resources at hand.

Being sincere and talking like a Real Human Person goes far too so far as it’s not someone Corporate poisoned.

Subject: Request for Personal Space and Autonomy

Dear [Recipient's Name],

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to kindly request some personal space and autonomy in regards to handling individual challenges and inquiries.

Going forward, I kindly ask that individuals are encouraged to address their own problems independently, as it will allow me to focus on my assigned tasks and responsibilities. If anyone seeks assistance, please advise them to reach out to the appropriate channels or resources available to them.

Thank you for your understanding and support in this matter. I appreciate your cooperation in maintaining a productive work environment.

Best regards,

[Your Name]

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
god just reading that makes me die inside

Susat
May 31, 2011

thewizardofshoe posted:

Are you sure there IS an IT department?

Not even a little bit sure.

My source on that is we have neighboring division that does intake on cisco products for configuration and deployment and when the network went down they all left because it turns out they're our first responders for network issues. So we're both a combination of our own IT department but we also don't do our own domain configuration?

The more pieces I put together the worse this all seems. That said it's pretty easy for a first job right now, but I'm already kind of planning to look onward after some more time. Our management is questionably incapable as well, I like my co-workers and boss a lot at least.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tehinternet posted:

god just reading that makes me die inside

Subject: Regarding the document

Dear [Recipient's Name],

I hope this email finds you well. I wanted to bring to your attention a matter concerning the document.

Could you kindly review and provide any necessary updates or revisions? Your expertise and input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Best regards,

[Your Name]

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Did you know live streams of coding is a thing? I’m gonna be a YouTube millionaire

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Found this, might help some people now that stackoverflow is dying a slow death: https://www.phind.com/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

but so has its own ai now

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
while I was still suffering with my batch script chatgpt managed to output the right solution to what I was trying to do better than any of the half dozen stack overflow answers did and output well commented functional code to boot

I wish there was a "show me the webpage you stole this from" button

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

CLAM DOWN posted:

yeah

I would like someone to take my feelings into account when interacting with me, must be all the estrogen :rolleyes:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Diqnol posted:

Yeah, I can tell by your posts that you're really good at endearing yourself to people :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tokin opposition posted:

I wish there was a "show me the webpage you stole this from" button

Yeah, this. I want the context. I want the discussion. I do not want an LLM to go with the most commonly posted code when it gives me an answer. Why? Which is there more of on the Internet, code posted to get help with it, or code posted to provide an answer?

I'm assuming that Gitlab and other flavors of CoPilot have a way to exclude the "this doesn't work, why?" code from the answers they give. Anybody know how coding specific LLMs differentiate between good and bad code in their answers?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just saw a tweet from someone talking about how GitHub copilot gave them a wrong answer and it was so convincing that it took a few hours that it merely looked like the solution they wanted rather than actually being the solution. So, yeah.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Job security :)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I just used ChatGPT to convert an old munin vnstat plugin (vnstat_day_ / vnstat_month_) to use --json instead of --dumpdb :haw:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah, ChatGPT is rad but you better triple check that poo poo because it will give you confidently wrong answers… because it was trained on human created data

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I had to gently caress around with it a bit to get it to output working code, but it did work in the end.

Susat
May 31, 2011

The Fool posted:

jaegerx posted:

https://flutter.dev

For real, if you're gonna write a gui for anything, USE THIS.

Thanks, I'll mess around with it and see what I can do.

I know so little about scripting and programming in general, these little projects are good excuses to learn as much as I can. :)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CLAM DOWN posted:

My solution is I am polite to a fault and never give the user poo poo, even when they are clearly deserving of it. But behind their backs? Oh you had better believe I am going to rant and rave about how loving stupid they are.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I parlayed being an average computer toucher and a surprisingly decent at faking it person interacter into “stupid amounts of figgies”

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

My solution is I am polite to a fault and never give the user poo poo, even when they are clearly deserving of it. But behind their backs? Oh you had better believe I am going to rant and rave about how loving stupid they are.

This is the way.

E: I got into a yelling match with our CIO and then got a new title and $11k more/year so that’s dope I guess

Process Automation Engineer

I worry that the title is too wishy washy for finding another IT job, idk

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 31, 2023

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I’m not doing this poo poo this morning.

User who is suppose to start on Aug 17th showed up without warning this morning and I’m being asked if they can get equipment.

Do I have spare equipment that I could put together in an emergency?Sure. But I’m not going to out of principle.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Cyks posted:

User who is suppose to start on Aug 17th showed up without warning this morning and I’m being asked if they can get equipment.

Do I have spare equipment that I could put together in an emergency?Sure. But I’m not going to out of principle.

This is the way.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Cyks posted:

A real post or IT Service Tech Domination fantasy?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Buff Hardback posted:

I parlayed being an average computer toucher and a surprisingly decent at faking it person interacter into “stupid amounts of figgies”

Please tell me how, I am pretty decent with people and am currently making high figgies for a senior desktop tech but would love to have stupid amounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I was quite good at talking to end users when I did more direct support, and as I moved into a more systems engineering role I could still talk to our internal "customers" for lack of a better term, but I've been tripping all over myself navigating the internal organizational politics for the last few years. Ironically, my reputation as a straight shooter that's been so helpful with "customers" is I think a big part of what's been tripping me up internally. poo poo sucks.