Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sab0921 posted:

Bring back Latifi.

More and more people are saying this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Thanks Ants posted:

It's the time of year where the Ferrari team principal says that they can see no reason why Ferrari can't win all the remaining races

An all time classic

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

latifi's getting his mba, he's Given Up

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Declan MacManus posted:

latifi's getting his mba, he's Given Up

He's going to hustle up and structure a buyout of Williams with his new big business brains.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

A lot of those seasons sucked rear end op. Thank you.

So what is your actual point then, genuinely?

It sounds like you should find new sports to watch.

This season has, in all metrics, been more fun to follow than the previous ones up to rosberg v ham

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 31, 2023

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

the balls on dis guy

As much as I like to poo poo on Carlos he's right here. That move was never on for Piastri and they pretty easily could have collected Hamilton as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I saw Piastri ahead of Sainz and Sainz only getting ahead due to his front right tyre chucking out a load of smoke as he dived in. Piastri started on the right side of the grid and had the corner, but I'd look at an overhead view of the start to change my mind if I am remembering it wrong or the FOV of the onboard camera is giving the wrong impression.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Simplex posted:

As much as I like to poo poo on Carlos he's right here. That move was never on for Piastri and they pretty easily could have collected Hamilton as well.

Piastri was being a moron and I'm not sure what the gently caress he expected to happen there other than exactly what did happen

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
My hot take is that the Alpine’s chassis is probably pretty good, it’s engine is just off.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Diet Crack posted:

This season has, in all metrics, been more fun to follow than the previous ones up to rosberg v ham

uh 2021 hello??

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Aside from the farce of the last few races 2021 is an all timer season.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ArmZ posted:

yep, new engine rules and audi comes in. no more mgu-h and the mgu-k is tripled. car is not as long, but not narrower... also 6 gears for some reason???

Good video
https://youtu.be/KxDQBVzXWt4

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Of the 21st century seasons;

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Frond posted:

Of the 21st century seasons;

You forgot 2010. For all the whinging about the Vettelreich at the time, 50% of the seasons were hard fought to the wire.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also last season at least had 'how will Ferrari throw this away' for the first half of the season to spice things up, sure it wasn't a close championship battle but at least the races had stuff going on

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Charles Leclerc posted:

You forgot 2010. For all the whinging about the Vettelreich at the time, 50% of the seasons were hard fought to the wire.

I remember 2010 as one of those seasons where the championship fight was good but the actual races weren't very good.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it's not clear what piastri's plan was; even if someone didn't squeeze him out at the apex it seems like his options after that were either understeer off the track or take an extremely slow exit and get passed by half a dozen cars

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Diet Crack posted:

So what is your actual point then, genuinely?

It sounds like you should find new sports to watch.

My point is that "you think this season was bad? well this other season was also bad. what now?" is a terrible argument op

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

being pissed at people who remember when things were better is pretty bad regardless

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Vando posted:

Also last season at least had 'how will Ferrari throw this away' for the first half of the season to spice things up, sure it wasn't a close championship battle but at least the races had stuff going on

Yeah, amazing how it felt competitive at times and then you look at the results and it’s just a sea of RED BULL RACING RBPT.

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2022/races.html

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1 has been going downhill ever since Mika began his sabbatical

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

wicka posted:

Mika knew :finland:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the most back-breaking stretch of a season was 2012 where it was decided by that string of races in Asia which were pretty much all Vettel romps. For some reason they were just on another level to the field in that stretch of races.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
All these gutterspeak brits who can't pronounce vowels correctly are getting to me. My internal monologue just read "Alpeeen" instead of Alpine. gently caress.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

re: piastri/sainz, it's a total 50/50 racing incident. piastri had every right to go for that move, but it's one to avoid because of the likelihood of something like that happening. he'll learn from it i'm sure.

it just chafed me a bit with sainz being a little bitch afterwards for no reason and saying "yeah it was just a racing incident but also it's kind of piastris fault". i'm like dude you locked up and were just as much to blame.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Personal Lucubrant posted:

All these gutterspeak brits who can't pronounce vowels correctly are getting to me. My internal monologue just read "Alpeeen" instead of Alpine. gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLelpHVLdxI

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Personal Lucubrant posted:

for once that's not the british's fault

its the french

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
sometimes it's fun to tell people that Alpine is the same company that made all those car audio head units back in the day

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the milk machine posted:

sometimes it's fun to tell people that Alpine is the same company that made all those car audio head units back in the day

when is there gonna be a Kenwood F1 team

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

the milk machine posted:

'Fun' extremely summer break fact: that Japanese Alpine is also known as ALPS and they make tons of electronic parts including basically 80% of all analog sticks you find in game controllers.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Alaois posted:

for once that's not the british's fault

its the french

For once.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

ilmucche posted:

More and more people are saying this

At least a good safety car to tighten the field would be guaranteed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alaois posted:

when is there gonna be a Kenwood F1 team

Probably whenever they forget to not take andretti's calls

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Snackula posted:

'Fun' extremely summer break fact: that Japanese Alpine is also known as ALPS and they make tons of electronic parts including basically 80% of all analog sticks you find in game controllers.

so i can blame them for the bad sticks in the nintendo switch controllers. excellent.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

the milk machine posted:

it's not clear what piastri's plan was; even if someone didn't squeeze him out at the apex it seems like his options after that were either understeer off the track or take an extremely slow exit and get passed by half a dozen cars

What are you taking about? He hit the apex without locking up or understeer, he was going to make the corner just fine. The reason Sainz turned in so much is partially because he locked up and was preoccupied with not hitting the merc on the outside. The lockup is also the only reason Sainz was half a car ahead instead of side by side. I don’t think Piastri had enough time to react to Sainz’s lockup and back out even if he knew Sainz would close the door.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Vando posted:

Yeah it was good until France.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

What are you taking about? He hit the apex without locking up or understeer, he was going to make the corner just fine. The reason Sainz turned in so much is partially because he locked up and was preoccupied with not hitting the merc on the outside. The lockup is also the only reason Sainz was half a car ahead instead of side by side. I don’t think Piastri had enough time to react to Sainz’s lockup and back out even if he knew Sainz would close the door.

it was definitely a "racing incident" but i don't think you can just dive bomb the corner like that at the race start and expect to be just fine when 3-4 cars are about the turn across you

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

My point is that "you think this season was bad? well this other season was also bad. what now?" is a terrible argument op

This is approaching 1992/2002/2004 levels of awful. It will likely be the worst season I’ve ever watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

the milk machine posted:

so i can blame them for the bad sticks in the nintendo switch controllers. excellent.

The tiny joycon ones are the main exception but the ones on the pro controller are theirs.