Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok finished house. holy poo poo thats a wild ride lol. the cinematography is nuts, the score kicks rear end. this movies evil dead before evil dead existed, i wonder if sam raimi saw it as a kid. kung fu ftw but also i liked all of em and how abruptly they all get picked off is sick. fuckin cool pick dingus. ★★★

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also anyone who hasnt seen it this reminded me a lot of tokyo drifter, same wild use of color, some similar cues for cinematography. difference is the director here was clearly trying to make something he loved and seijun suzuki was 100% sick of makin yakuza flicks and didnt give a poo poo who knew it lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fungah! posted:

also anyone who hasnt seen it this reminded me a lot of tokyo drifter, same wild use of color, some similar cues for cinematography. difference is the director here was clearly trying to make something he loved and seijun suzuki was 100% sick of makin yakuza flicks and didnt give a poo poo who knew it lol

Tokyo drifter is sick

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
as is tokyo drift

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuJDhFRDx9M

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Malcolm wasn't really my thing. They do some cool stuff with the toys later on, but I just found most of the movie a bore.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Finally got around to watching Malcolm. It definitely feels like a director's first attempt... It's a little disjointed and has some awkward cuts and unnecessary scenes.

I like the concept a lot, though I wish we got to see more of an odd couple friendship between Malcolm and Frank. The gadgets were cool. I want to build that mobile mailbox for my own place...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love how much style Hausu has. It's so charming.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Also noticed this

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the balcony scene where gorgeous meets her stepmother just has way too much going on lol the score, the set and sunset backdrop, the weird clothes and scarves the stepmother wears, man this movie owns.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Also noticed this

cool

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The piano kill is so awesome

5/5 film

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 28, 2023

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

Finally got around to watching Malcolm. It definitely feels like a director's first attempt... It's a little disjointed and has some awkward cuts and unnecessary scenes.

I like the concept a lot, though I wish we got to see more of an odd couple friendship between Malcolm and Frank. The gadgets were cool. I want to build that mobile mailbox for my own place...

never leaving the house ftw

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
house is so sick jesus

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

watched Malcolm and it's a weird movie to try and categorize. very college film feels and like other peeps said the gadgets were cool as hell and i kinda wish it was like half an hour longer since even if there was an ending i kinda felt like there should still be more to it. my partner ended up liking it a fair bit more than i did, i'm probably only gonna give it a 5/10. i dont regret watching it but idk i don't think i'd ever recommend it to anyone beyond being a quirky indie film

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Who’s got the next pick?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

It's Sub-Actuality's turn! Shoot me a message with your pick and we'll announce it monday.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Finally finished malcolm this morning. I thought it was okay, for what is essentially an independent australian film its not a bad outing, but even for its time it still feels...like it's two thirds of a movie. it was slow but i thought the inventions were pretty fun and were easily the highlight of the movie and the heist at the end was funny. the acting was kinda whatever but considering its budget maybe that adds to its charm. 7 out of 10.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

It's Sub-Actuality's turn! Shoot me a message with your pick and we'll announce it monday.

:hai:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Looking forward to watching Stop Making Sense again

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i really want the pick to be true stories

copy
Jul 26, 2007

like 7 minutes into house and the editing/framing in this is really interestng so far. like the scene where they filmed it behind the glass panels seems like they were going for osmething cool but im not sure if it landed or not. will need to think more on it

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol this poo poo's wild

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Sub-Actuality is responsible for this pick.

The Wrong Guy dir. by David Steinberg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtkh3iQ7X2c

quote:

After his boss is murdered, Nelson is on the run for fear of prosecution. He hides out in a small town to avoid the police, which should be easy because they know he didn't do it and they aren't looking for him.

This movie will expire by August 14th.

:shrug: I'm not sure where you can find it. :shrug: Guess you'll just have to look around :shrug:

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 31, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

copy posted:

like 7 minutes into house and the editing/framing in this is really interestng so far. like the scene where they filmed it behind the glass panels seems like they were going for osmething cool but im not sure if it landed or not. will need to think more on it

copy posted:

lol this poo poo's wild

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

:shrug: I'm not sure where you can find it. :shrug: Guess you'll just have to look around :shrug:
The whole thing is on Youtube, and I guess Dave Foley even commented on the video and seems to be happy it's posted there lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fab89eIgswc

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Martman posted:

The whole thing is on Youtube, and I guess Dave Foley even commented on the video and seems to be happy it's posted there lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fab89eIgswc

ty

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i literally watched that exact youtube video like 2 weeks ago, its funny. thats my review

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

still not sure what my options are for house. i found it on vimeo but is the movie meant to be in 4:3?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Wrong Guy

I really liked this. I've watched a lot of Kids in the Hall and love NewsRadio so I'm kinda surprised I'd never heard of it.

I was really surprised how consistently the jokes landed; with movies like this where everyone is a total caricature it can be really easy to lose any sense of tension or meaning to the plot, but I think Dave and really most of the cast totally nail it. There's so many great random jokes that don't get worn out, like the random John Woo action moment or the poor family bank being antagonized by the rich evil farmer.

The cop stuff maybe wore a bit thin; it's basically funny to poo poo on the police role in a story like this, but they didn't really go anywhere with the jokes despite taking up a lot of time.

e: also lol at the JFK bit. I feel like I've heard it before but if this movie's the origin of that then it's super impressive

Martman fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 31, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

also oops, the Kids in the Hall youtube channel uploaded the movie in 1080p, definitely watch that one instead of being dumb like me and watching the crappy quality one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxDGru6oJCs

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the wrong guy.

man this movie is such a dave foley style of comedy a la kids in the hall/newsradio and it rules because its played so straight. the jokes all land really well and i love the premise of a guy thinking he is being hunted down as a murderer but its only because he's an idiot, but it coincidentally tracks him along the same path/direction as the killer who then decides to get rid of him.

i think the best gag was the guy who was selected as ceo for marrying the 'favorite daughter' convinced that dave foley was still in the office despite not being in any of the meetings/scenes he thinks he was there for.

also when he calls his fiance/wife and goes "honey its me....dave foley.....your fiance" was such a simple line but so funny

edit - actually the

"i asked for a swiss passport"

"oh...they...they uh...didn't have any"

gag was also 10/10

what a good movie and its wild i never heard of it because its such a strong comedy with some good names.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 31, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also the guy who plays the lead detective is so familiar but i can't remember where i've seen him

edit - malcom in the middle, that's it

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
another movie i never heard of

thanks for the epic sig el spider

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

STONE COLD 64 posted:

hey the first movie club pick ive already seen before and i actually watched it within this year

oh well the movie ruled and ill watch anything by a dave i know twice :santahurr:

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

still not sure what my options are for house. i found it on vimeo but is the movie meant to be in 4:3?

yeah it is

trying to jack off posted:

i really want the pick to be true stories

lol I almost picked this but I wanted to mix it up a little

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the wrong guy was cool lol, never watched much kids in the hall stuff so i didnt know much goin in. good jokes, good mood, some incredible visual gags. him stickin his head in the water machine was incredible and the way he no-selled it. lot of fun, good start to monday. ★★½

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also 100% this movie tanked when it came out. didnt even make gum money

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Cool. Never seen this but I love Dave Foley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I saw this thread a couple weeks ago but I didn't jump in because I didn't feel like rewatching The Master.

I watched Malcolm last night. I'm not really a fan of autistic characters in movies and the first third or so of the movie felt kind of mean spirited. I liked the scenes with the remote control robots but it didn't feel like there was a full movie worth of plot. 2/5

I'll watch House after work tonight I've been meaning to check it out for years. I've got a movie in mind if you want to add me to the pick list.