Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Bring in the interrogator.

Would make a better Labour leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Nuclear Spoon posted:

the other major thing which sucks about cars in cities is that parking on the pavements turns a lot of two-way streets into one-way streets

Which slows down traffic outside houses and is therefore good

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I have to admit that it was only after I posted the second time that I realized peoplebwere talking about dedicated busses for kids only that serviced schools as opposed to general public transport routes that also had kids on them.

And I think parents are generally more inclined to let their kids ride those specific school buses than the normal transports.

But from my experience, those bus routes always required the children to go to a specific place (usually a part of town and normally a part that was pretty close to the school itself) and they didn't just come to your door and pick you up to bring you directly to school.

If more public transport means setting up bus services that will specifically go to people's houses to bring them to school that would be great, but I wonder how feasible that is particularly with people who live on the outskirts of town*.

I still think there are going to be cases where families will have to use the car to bring the kid to school. Which might result in a permit system where you apply for a permit to be allowed drive to the school.
But if the idea of free meals for kids make Conservatives mad, imagine trying to sell the idea of travel permits and watch them compare you to the Nazi's.

*= Or in one sad case from a previous job, family lived in town X and brought their kids to that school. Went their for years and had lots of friends.
Kid and his dad had to move to town Y for reasons, which was miles away from school X. The school X didn't have a bus route to town Y because why would it, it was miles away. And trying to find a method for the kid to keep going there that wasn't just "Dad books a taxi every day to pickup and drop off his kid to this school" was rough.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Lets be real; school buses are a feral Lord of the Flies land in which one kid inevitably leaves with Dick written on his forehead.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
As lord of the flies goes that's a pretty good outcome, on balance

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Lyn! that is not a penis!

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

The Question IRL posted:

But from my experience, those bus routes always required the children to go to a specific place (usually a part of town and normally a part that was pretty close to the school itself) and they didn't just come to your door and pick you up to bring you directly to school.

I grew up in the highlands and didn't realise this wasn't just how it was everywhere - we didn't quite get door to door service, you had to walk to the main road but that was only 5 minutes. Normal busses, but routes just for the kids in the mornings and afternoons.

The catchment area for my secondary school was enormous, including posho kids getting trucked in from the commuter town outside of Inverness that was clearly way closer to the two schools in Inverness but for Reasons had them all getting brought over to the nicer safer rural secondary school. There was one memorable time when one of the bus drivers for that route absolutely hosed it on the little two lane road on the way in and slipped off the verge, parking the bus sideways in a farm.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Diet Crack posted:

Here have some driver brainworms just to exacerbate the point.
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1684192873774821378

How does this make sense? If it's a 30 zone do drivers also get all confused about how fast they are going, or 70 on a motorway (sorry officer I was distracted looking at my speedo to ensure I was bang on 70).

What a load of shite, and what a oval office Laurence Fox is, glad Billie got out of that.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We have dedicated School buses in Scotland, the council contracts it out to Bus/Coach companies for anyone outside of 2 miles from the school. They were a lawless terrifying place.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
dunno if this is still true 10 years later but:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/476635/travel-to-school.pdf

tldr 50% of primary school kids are driven to school but only 20% of secondary school kids are. given allowances for rural areas poor infrastructure etc that seems really positive tbh?

seems like one of those areas where the perception of school run mums in range rovers is wildly out from the actual reality, you probably just notice the range rover types more i guess

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Microplastics posted:

As lord of the flies goes that's a pretty good outcome, on balance
Shows poor literary analysis, there isn't even a character called Dick.

keep punching joe posted:

How does this make sense? If it's a 30 zone do drivers also get all confused about how fast they are going, or 70 on a motorway (sorry officer I was distracted looking at my speedo to ensure I was bang on 70).

What a load of shite, and what a oval office Laurence Fox is, glad Billie got out of that.
It's because he drives while under the influence of alcohol and cocaine.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i think my car doesn’t like to cruise control at 20 mph, but to be honest at that speed it seems to have enough background push to reach 20 without pushing on the pedal at all

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a difference between a set limiter (car is fully under your control but will not go over a certain speed until disengaged, now a legal requirement for all new cars) and cruise control (throttle set by speedometer without driver input until driver intervenes).

The first is a good way to drive in a city without accidentally speeding and then soiling yourself (the Laurence Fox manoeuvre), the second is more for motorways.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My mum's car sounds an alert whenever she goes above 30.

She doesn't know how to disable it so it basically just rings constantly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

You tend to get an intrinsic feel for how fast you're going such that yeah, by and large you don't actually have to look at the speedo. A combination of sound, feel, and visuals of things moving outside the car can give you a surprisingly good intuitive sense of your speed, if it's a speed you drive at frequently.

But like, I can also do that at 20, because 20 is a normal speed for a car to be going at because it's a normal speed limit to encounter, along with 40, 50, and 60. And if you are unsure about your speed, you can just drive slower, there is no obligation to hit the speed limit.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
a lot of people seem to treat the speed limit as a minimum

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, there is an obligation but on the other side of the line.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
so many times - especially of a morning - i have seen someone do something insane to try to get in front of someone else, only to end up sat at traffic lights or queued at a roundabout anyway

wazzocks, just wazzocks!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

crispix posted:

so many times - especially of a morning - i have seen someone do something insane to try to get in front of someone else, only to end up sat at traffic lights or queued at a roundabout anyway

wazzocks, just wazzocks!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

This was a highlight of when I had a long driving commute - watching some guy behind me furiously weaving, finally overtake me doing 40 on a 30 road and then I'd catch up to him at the next 3 sets of traffic lights.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ro5s posted:

This was a highlight of when I had a long driving commute - watching some guy behind me furiously weaving, finally overtake me doing 40 on a 30 road and then I'd catch up to him at the next 3 sets of traffic lights.

this is when you give him the golf clap in his rearview mirror

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It's about marginal gains

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

Shows poor literary analysis, there isn't even a character called Dick.

It's because he drives while under the influence of alcohol and cocaine.

Still, at least he never gets to have the kids in the back

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I got Car Door'd while cycling home from work today, so my enthusiasm for "but what about the drivers" is pretty low right now

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

ro5s posted:

This was a highlight of when I had a long driving commute - watching some guy behind me furiously weaving

maybe he had a looming deadline

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a shame that Florence Pugh is cool, talented and beautiful but her dad is a :byodood: ULEZ :byodood: oval office

https://twitter.com/bartlebooth45/status/1685941851138732032?t=isOVMyeFRPJODeW0bngATw&s=19

Can't believe someone who sent their kid to private school is a oval office.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

New Fudge Release!

Howdy fudge fans!

We're back, and we've got a hot shipment of 19 delicious flavours, just begging to be gobbled up by hungry goons! As well as a lot of our current standards, we also have some old flavours from the past couple of years making a long-overdue reappearance for your delight and delectation.

We're also expanding our presence at markets- this coming Saturday (05/08) you'll be able to find us at the Stockport Market from 0900-1600. It's a completely new territory for us, so if you're in the area do drop by to say hello and grab some sweet goodness. Drop a goony shibboleth if you can bear the cringe to get special discounts!

Oh yes, and we've got some interesting new flavours and lines coming down the pipeline in the next few weeks. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you like lifting heavy stuff and putting it down again repeatedly, we're developing a line called 'Bulkit' to help out with that..

Anyway, without further ado here's the current menu!

Current Flavours

* Original Vanilla
* Cafe Americano
* Chai Latte
* Cheesecake
* Chilli and Lime
* Chocolate Chip Cookie
* Crunchy Chocolate Honeycomb
* Eton Mess (Back at last!)
* Fish Phood
* Irish Cream
* Malted Milk Ball
* Maple and Pecan
* Oranges and Lemons
* Pistachio (Back and with an improved recipe!)
* Rum and Raisin
* Strawberry Milkshake
* Toffee Apple
* Unicorn Barf
* Whisky and Candied Ginger

All stock is now live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk costing £4.00+P&P per 100g bar, and is shipped with Royal Mail 1st Class Signed-for. And as always, don't forget the goon discount code 'Roastbeefisbest' to get 5-for-4 at checkout!

Get fudged!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

kingturnip posted:

I got Car Door'd while cycling home from work today, so my enthusiasm for "but what about the drivers" is pretty low right now

gently caress, you alright?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

the other major thing which sucks about cars in cities is that parking on the pavements turns a lot of two-way streets into one-way streets

Especially when everycunt thinks they're too important to try and get their wheels on the pavement. There's a road near me that must get blocked up once a day by people just going in from different ends at the same time and you could solve almost all of by driving down the road with a big magnetic crane and shifting all the parked cars two feet over. And taking the SUVs away to be quietly crushed into a cube

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You aren't actually supposed to park on the pavement, in some places I believe you'll get ticketed for it, and it also obstructs the pavement for people who need to use it.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
beginning to think there are too many cars

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Man bought private jet with borrowed council money

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66340991

quote:

A businessman cheated a council out of tens of millions of pounds and went on a spending spree with the cash, an investigation has discovered.

The council has been made effectively bankrupt after investing £655m in Mr Kavanagh's solar farm business.

Mr Kavanagh's lawyers say all the payments were permissible.

They say they were approved by his company's finance team and auditor.

Thurrock is one of a number of councils that have got into financial difficulties since the coalition government gave local authorities more freedom to raise funds and invest in 2011.

:cripes:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

You aren't actually supposed to park on the pavement, in some places I believe you'll get ticketed for it, and it also obstructs the pavement for people who need to use it.

There's a box junction in my village where the 2 main roads in the village connect. It also happens to be immediately in front of the chemist & pub and also next to the village shop. So people stop in it an awful lot. And get out. Never mind that it's a fairly busy junction where it's extremely hard to see if there's traffic coming from your right when you go to it. And of course there's an army base nearby, & sometimes the bus company use coaches, which means there's routinely very large traffic that struggles to get past because some selfish oval office has parked there. The selfishness is impressive.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

Been reading about this today. It is absolutely astonishing. The council just kept happily handing this guy cheques for 40 million pounds for him to spend on Lambos. Now they’re totally broke and the Council Tax is going to go through the roof.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

big scary monsters posted:

It's not really necessary that every last child is served by a school bus. Inevitably there will be some who can't use it for whatever reason. But the outliers The Question IRL talks about are not an argument against improving public transport and discouraging car use - if you take 90% of the school run cars off the road then you've done a lot to solve the problem and the roads become better for the 10% who absolutely have to drive their kids in as well.

You do really have to do the improving public transport bit though, and ideally do it before you start wielding the stick against drivers.

Unfortunately they pulled another bus line here to a small village, it was mainly a postal bus, but yeah even that got the axe.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

gently caress, you alright?

Cuts and bruises. Lots of bruises.
Probably the best outcome from something like that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kingturnip posted:

Hope you're okay OP and also took the wing mirror off.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

kingturnip posted:

Cuts and bruises. Lots of bruises.
Probably the best outcome from something like that.
Thank God. Dooring injuries can be among the worst. I hope you got the driver's info.

We love our door-zone bike lanes don't we folks?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Been reading about this today. It is absolutely astonishing. The council just kept happily handing this guy cheques for 40 million pounds for him to spend on Lambos. Now they’re totally broke and the Council Tax is going to go through the roof.

he had that much money and he still drank lambrini? i'm almost impressed

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

crispix posted:

There's a Podcasting is Praxis episode on this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuAwklhqzo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

cat botherer posted:

Thank God. Dooring injuries can be among the worst. I hope you got the driver's info.

We love our door-zone bike lanes don't we folks?

Remember you carfuckers, do the Dutch Reach (not just a sex thing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeM984dk220