Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Philonius posted:

Russia needs to protect a vital piece of infrastructure, the loss of which could lead to the collapse of their lines. So they spare no effort and send a dude on an improvised raft made out of garbage.

Do they even qualify as a country at this point?

Floating cope cages isn't the stupidest way to protect 18 miles of shoreline, it fucks with these naval drones because they're designed to run as low to the surface as possible.

Whether this pile of garbage stays in position, isn't easily sabotaged or actually works as intended is anyone's guess, but there's probably some pile of garbage design out there that'd be effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

ya it is.

turns out government offices are valid targets during a war, whodathunk.

russia is literally targeting, and hitting, apartment blocks and hospitals etc., ukraine is targeting command and control/propaganda centres.

until ukraine is actively targeting civilian infrastructure, you have to give them the benefit of doubt. hell, ukraine let the propagandists live by hitting the building on a sunday, presumably to minimize civilian casualties

My comment regarding Ukraine yesterday about using long range drones was not about these offices directly. It was a comment in general that I don't think Ukraine should be doing poo poo to civi structures because Russia does it. What they do with these drones against legitimate non civi structures I don't give a poo poo about.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1685568476579024896
Whatever these guys are drinking to produce these fantasies must be some real good stuff.

Probably chugging polish remover to try and get in with putins inner circle.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1685967285796605952
+2 Zuzana SPGs added to the pile. Every bit helps.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

Probably chugging polish remover to try and get in with putins inner circle.

They only wish they could remove Poland.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

My original post did say that Ukraine was showing restraint In not doing hitting that infrastructure. Also I made the larger post to discuss why this infrastructure is so important and how it is a real target and very very critical to the Russian way of life as a whole

A real target as in it's importance. I'd rather Russia didn't descend into feudal chaos. But when you are loving up this badly for this long it may be inevitable.

gently caress that noise. Russia wants to start a genocidal war, the people they're trying to wipe out can try and wipe out the supply line to manpower. RuAF relies on the peoples east of the Urals so it doesn't have to make the war real for Moscow and St. Petersburg residents, gently caress that. Make Russia have to press gang the ethnic Russians that Putin relies on for support. Make Russia have to repair and protect its rear areas.

Russia wants to play at a real war? Let them play. Ukraine should be able to destroy Russian logistics trains inside Russia and damage the methods in which those trains move, be it rail strikes, bridges, or gov/mil offices/facilities.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
It's not sporting to attack supply lines within Russia, yellow card to Ukraine for unsportsmanlike conduct.

It's also considered rude to run torture/rape dungeons in occupied regions, but this is just a verbal warning. If it persists I may issue a yellow card to Russia as well.

The internet War Referee has spoken.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ukraine can destroy supply lines in Russia, but they have to shake hands afterwards or they'll be disqualified.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
America nuked Japan twice, I think it's only fair that we get to do it to do it to russia too :mad:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/1685573843094544384#m
MUH NOOOOOOOOKS

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

RE: Railway Clancychat, there are a number of likely reasons why Ukraine isn't targeting railway infrastructure.

The first and most important is that Ukraine's objective is not to destroy Russia, it's to stop Russia from destroying Ukraine. The priority is thus not to make life maximally miserable for inhabitants of Russia, but to undermine Russia's ability and will to prosecute the war.

There are a number of reasons why using attack drones on Russian railway infrastructure isn't a good use of them.

First of all, Russia has a fairly dense railway network within range of Ukrainian attack drones.

Second, railway infrastructure is notoriously hard to destroy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agznZBiK_Bs

Given how small payloads the Ukrainian drones carry, they would barely dent a bridge or a railway.

If the objective is to disrupt the Russian war effort, it makes more sense to target militarily useful stores of chemical potential energy, like fuel and ammo depots, command and control centres, critical technological and manufacturing enablers and institutions that are tasked with rallying support for the war and suppressing dissent against the war.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

"The enemy must worship our warriors". gently caress off you vodka-soaked crybaby.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Dwesa posted:

Russia is allegedly placing anti naval drone barriers near the Kerch bridge

not sure how it works when there is supposed to be maritime transport under the bridge

goddamn that looks tedious.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jimlit posted:

goddamn that looks tedious.

eh

this is the only forum without crypto spam

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Ukraine is sending Beaver drones and russia builds little dams made of garbage :thunk:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Losing some land and destroying the world (including your own country) is some real "fist-fighting your DM after 6 beers because they downed your cleric" energy.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

CannonFodder posted:

I hope they fall off like the U2 Spy plane extra wheels that they had on takeoff. The U2 was so optimized for weight and flight time and being able to get right up to the edge of the atmosphere that it had a nose wheel and a tail wheel. To land, there was a chase car that would get under a wing so the pilot could drop the wing on the car and then have three points of contact with the ground. It was bonkers.

Still in service with a sensor suite bolted to the top.
https://youtu.be/gohD6W_uyO8

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1686009595482038272
Footage of the destroyed bridge in Chonhar has appeared. Looks like it's totaled.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1686009595482038272
Footage of the destroyed bridge in Chonhar has appeared. Looks like it's totaled.

Rails are pretty easy to repair, and it looks like the hit is on the shore part of the tracks so there's little to no damage to structural members of the bridge.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
have we heard anything about more patriots potentially being delivered to ukraine in the future? they really need more

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Deki posted:

If Russia wasn't doing it first I'd say it's a no.

Wrong is wrong.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

Rails are pretty easy to repair, and it looks like the hit is on the shore part of the tracks so there's little to no damage to structural members of the bridge.

That part over the shore looks to be around 6 feet up in the air over the ground from previous photos taken from the side. I wouldn't write off structural damage. They may have chosen to strike there to amplify the effects of the explosives.

E: the tweet quoted predicts the bridge is done for the war

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
That bridge span will have to be replaced before it can support any kind of rail traffic. It has a ten foot sag in the middle of the bridge between support struts lol

They're sending out the guy that just stands there with a sign to have a photo taken

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I'll get concerned if a Ukraine piloted drone strikes an active hospital, a populated shopping mall, schools with children in them etc.

Until then the empty government building is a non issue. If the Russian government wishes to protect it's citizens from collateral damage, maybe they should pull out of the country they invaded.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Tai posted:

My comment regarding Ukraine yesterday about using long range drones was not about these offices directly. It was a comment in general that I don't think Ukraine should be doing poo poo to civi structures because Russia does it. What they do with these drones against legitimate non civi structures I don't give a poo poo about.

ukraine hit a military target embedded in a civilian structure. they even hit it on a sunday as to minimize any collateral damage/prevent unnecessary loss of life. theres nothing they could have done differently.

you cant give ukraine poo poo for hitting military targets responsibly. you can give russia poo poo for indescriminate targeting, but to equate what ukraine did to what russia is doing, is a false equivalency.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tai posted:

Government office blocks are completely valid targets, doubly so if they contain the offices of ministry of defense or other government oppression agencies.

If the Russians are offended by Ukrainian army droning their government buildings, they maybe could show example by first stopping their own random terror bombings against Ukrainian civilians, or better, gather their poo poo and get the gently caress out of Ukraine.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 31, 2023

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism
I don't see why the Ukrainian government should care per se about the morality of attacking Russian civilian and dual use infrastructure. They are in an existential struggle for their national survival and the ends can easily justify a wide array of means in those conditions. Ukraine attacking dual use infrastructure is in any case a proportionate response to prior and ongoing attacks. If Russia doesn't like it, they should consider that this will only intensify and more of the war will be occurring on de jure Russian soil as the war continues and whether the benefits of continued aggression against Ukraine are commensurate with the costs incurred.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It's not as if Ukraine is bombing hospitals, orphanages, shopping malls, or apartment blocks like the last week of Russian air strikes on Ukrainian territory (and every previous week since Feb 24 2022)

Though if they get a chance to fly one of those Beavers into putins simian face they absolutely should take it

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

large hands posted:

That part over the shore looks to be around 6 feet up in the air over the ground from previous photos taken from the side. I wouldn't write off structural damage. They may have chosen to strike there to amplify the effects of the explosives.

E: the tweet quoted predicts the bridge is done for the war

Somehow, I think Twitter user "Tendar" probably isn't an expert on rail infrastructure.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Somehow, I think Twitter user "Tendar" probably isn't an expert on rail infrastructure.

Remember this isn't the first time Ukraine hit the Chonhar Bridge. They hit it hard first on June 22. The repairs were never finished and it just got hit again. That bridge is very likely done supporting rail transport for the duration, even if it might be able to still support light vehicle traffic like the Kerch Bridge. If it can't support rail transport then it is almost completely useless to Russia, logistically

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Remember this isn't the first time Ukraine hit the Chonhar Bridge. They hit it hard first on June 22. The repairs were never finished and it just got hit again. That bridge is very likely done supporting rail transport for the duration, even if it might be able to still support light vehicle traffic like the Kerch Bridge. If it can't support rail transport then it is almost completely useless to Russia, logistically

Unfortunately the Chonhar crossing isn't that long. It obviously is long enough to stop trains, those are done for, but there always will be a possibility to do a pontoon bridge over that gap that can support truck traffic just fine so the supply route isn't completely plugged either.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Sure, any speculation either way without better photos and a structural engineer is purely for entertainment purposes

HonorableTB posted:

That was the road bridge

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

large hands posted:

Sure, any speculation either way without better photos and a structural engineer is purely for entertainment purposes

That was the road bridge

Yeah, which would divert more traffic than usual over to the rail bridge, which just got hit as well. Unless the road bridge is repaired enough to handle the weight of armor and supply trucks, those have to go by rail which is now impossible, so now they have to deploy around the other side of the peninsula near Kherson and that's a swampy shithole of a bottleneck

The area near Chaplynka is within Ukrainian artillery range from Kherson so any supplies going that way would risk being shelled

Der Kyhe posted:

Unfortunately the Chonhar crossing isn't that long. It obviously is long enough to stop trains, those are done for, but there always will be a possibility to do a pontoon bridge over that gap that can support truck traffic just fine so the supply route isn't completely plugged either.

Any military on the planet would take pontoon bridges over permanent bridge structures as far as disrupting logistics and maneuver goes. Unfortunately pontoon bridges at this point would probably be more useful to Russia than the real bridge because Ukraine won't waste HIMARS or Storm Shadows on a pontoon bridge (in my opinion) and they aren't within normal artillery distance of that crossing. Of course I'm not Zaluzhny so I could be totally wrong but that's how it looks to me

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 31, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

quote:

Russian ombudswoman says more than 700,000 children taken from Ukraine since February 2022

A new report from Russian Children's Rights Commissioner Maria Lvova-Belova says that Russia has “taken in” approximately 4.8 million residents of Ukraine since February 2022, including more than 700,000 children.

https://meduza.io/en/news/2023/07/31/russian-ombudswoman-says-more-than-700-000-children-taken-from-ukraine-since-february-2022

Maria Lvova-Belova is a real piece of poo poo.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

She is not being very boombastic, nor really fantastic. And also grounded to Russia for the rest of her life (she was the one with arrest warrant from Haque, right?)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

no dont you see, they arent abducting children, they're rescuing them from a war zone and erasing their cultural identity keeping them safe

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

There's never going to be any agreement on what constitutes "the line" in war because depending on who you ask there will be people who say that literally everyone in Russia or wherever is culpable or enabling and therefore valid targets, and then course more reductionist viewpoints, and no one will ever have the same opinion. As such and as it is, we can't really do anything about it so it's pretty pointless to Legal Eagle any of this stuff so don't bother trying to justify or finger wag.

In other kind of weird news:

White House National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan is expected to attend peace talks on the war in Ukraine next week in Saudi Arabia, US officials said.

Ukraine is taking the lead on the effort which is expected to be attended by Western countries and developing nations. Russia is not expected to attend the talks.

Ukraine’s goal is that the talks work to identify shared principles for ending the war and that there is a peace summit later this year with global leaders signing up to support those principles, US officials said.

The talks hosted in Saudi Arabia are the second in a series of meetings organized by the head of the Office of the President of Ukraine, Andriy Yermak. The first talks took place earlier this year in Copenhagen.

Saudi Arabia was picked for the talks in part because of the country’s relationship with China, one US official explained. While China is not expected to attend the talks, US officials have publicly encouraged China in recent months to play a constructive role in resolving the Ukraine war though there has been no signal of China taking any proactive steps towards a peaceful end.

“I reiterated that we would welcome China playing a constructive role along with other nations to work toward a just peace, based on the principles of the United Nations Charter,” Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in Beijing in June.

HonorableTB posted:

no dont you see, they arent abducting children, they're rescuing them from a war zone and erasing their cultural identity keeping them safe

lol "They're just sent off to live with grandma!" :rolleyes:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

There's never going to be any agreement on what constitutes "the line" in war because depending on who you ask there will be people who say that literally everyone in Russia or wherever is culpable or enabling and therefore valid targets, and then course more reductionist viewpoints, and no one will ever have the same opinion. As such and as it is, we can't really do anything about it so it's pretty pointless to Legal Eagle any of this stuff so don't bother trying to justify or finger wag.

In other kind of weird news:

White House National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan is expected to attend peace talks on the war in Ukraine next week in Saudi Arabia, US officials said.

Ukraine is taking the lead on the effort which is expected to be attended by Western countries and developing nations. Russia is not expected to attend the talks.

Ukraine’s goal is that the talks work to identify shared principles for ending the war and that there is a peace summit later this year with global leaders signing up to support those principles, US officials said.

The talks hosted in Saudi Arabia are the second in a series of meetings organized by the head of the Office of the President of Ukraine, Andriy Yermak. The first talks took place earlier this year in Copenhagen.

Saudi Arabia was picked for the talks in part because of the country’s relationship with China, one US official explained. While China is not expected to attend the talks, US officials have publicly encouraged China in recent months to play a constructive role in resolving the Ukraine war though there has been no signal of China taking any proactive steps towards a peaceful end.

“I reiterated that we would welcome China playing a constructive role along with other nations to work toward a just peace, based on the principles of the United Nations Charter,” Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in Beijing in June.

What's the over/under of Saudi Arabian government doing something really stupid with this one, or allowing Russia to do something such?

I really wouldn't trust any of the ORB HOLDER-assholes with this one.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

i'm workin on an effort post about what russia is doing to those kids and its gonna be bleak as gently caress i can already tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

99% chance it's just Russia once again going "we get to keep ALLLLLLL of this" and Ukraine going "Get out" and nothing happens.