Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Finally, a comic that ACTUALLY deserves comparison with Gunnerkrigg Court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Annieson

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Alimony?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

dont forget how she went to her ethics professor and confessed what she did and her guilt about it and he told her "actually you did the morally correct act"

oh and how the author had no idea about the incredibly blatant rape overtones of the scene and got really mad when fans pointed it out in a complimentary fashion

isnt it brennan lee mulligan

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Alison quasi-sexually assaulted a libertarian bro into magically making Feral’s healing factor many times stronger so she can fill her organ quota with only one day of vivisection in a week.

It was dire.

Christ I remember this, and it was one of those scenes where I absolutely knew exactly where it was going to go: The libertarian was the son of a senator or something, so the full weight and fury of whatever meta-human governmental agency was going to come down on her, and since Feral's current healing factor made the surgeries absurdly difficult and painful, with an amped up healing factor they would be completely impossible, drugs no longer working and her skin healing immediately behind the scalpel. Now Alison is under fire and her long time friend and ally is infuriated at her for ruining the one good thing she was able to do. Conflict! Learning that just taking everything into your own hands and doing things without consent is wrong! Lessons!

And then none of that happened and it all worked out perfectly and hookers and blow for everyone!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Rereading it now and how the gently caress did he not see the rape comparison.

TW: rape and explicit discussion and description of clear parallels to rape.

She literally says "Well, sweetheart, I was only asking as a courtesy". Using a feminine nickname to emasculate him while saying she doesn't care about his consent either way and is going to violate his bodily autonomy. While she holds him down and he cries. Bro what? WHAT.

Like... it's not like I've never wanted to slap a selfish libertarian for being okay with the chronically ill suffering in preventable ways, but this is FAR beyond the pale. Especially with all the other story arcs preceding it, including the one explicitly about Feral, where the moral is "violence isn't (always) the answer, and the only reason you're capable of using violence to solve problems and others aren't is because you are in a position of privilege to do so", and the resulting (from what I remember) largely toothless feminism arc.

what the gently caress

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Arbetor posted:

Christ I remember this, and it was one of those scenes where I absolutely knew exactly where it was going to go: The libertarian was the son of a senator or something, so the full weight and fury of whatever meta-human governmental agency was going to come down on her, and since Feral's current healing factor made the surgeries absurdly difficult and painful, with an amped up healing factor they would be completely impossible, drugs no longer working and her skin healing immediately behind the scalpel. Now Alison is under fire and her long time friend and ally is infuriated at her for ruining the one good thing she was able to do. Conflict! Learning that just taking everything into your own hands and doing things without consent is wrong! Lessons!

And then none of that happened and it all worked out perfectly and hookers and blow for everyone!

I mean, that was actually a cool part, where she Goes Too Far and braces herself for the consequences only to realize that there aren't any, and there never will be, because she is literally invincible and the law will go out of its way to avoid failing to arrest her, and that just as she goes over the moral event horizon she realizes that she can do anything she wants to anybody.

Unfortunately nothing ever came of nothing coming of it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

in k6bd news, i miss Oscar

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

yeah thats the "best" part, the scene itself was honestly pretty well composed and made sense for the characters involved, and it could have easily been a very intriguing character arc for allison to undergo!

but nope, she could do no wrong and was completely justified in her actions, and all the nuance of the scene was just in your head

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Gunnerkrigg Court: and all the nuance of the scene was just in your head

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's not fair. It used to have some nuance, but over time that nuance moved out of reality and into our heads.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So we're going to get Coyote-Loup-Zimmy? Cool, cool. This is just going to be a Katamari of suck, isn't it?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I think people here still liked Zimmy, time to remedy that.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

This page is kinda cool. I'm ok with it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oh wait wait wait.

This is leading to some Two-Annies Bullshit: Remixed.

In a similar fashion to how the two Annies were merged together, this is likely to result in Jerrick being separated from Loup as a distinct character and Coyote emerging as a complete, living entity again.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
You know what, loving fine, let Jerrick be a real boy and let's move on.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
if we get some decent Zimmyham pages out of this then it will have been worth it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is this implying some kind of katamari creation story?

Oh god drat it, this is a story about how the gods of a new world came to be.

One of these duders is going to slip on a banana peel and go skidding into the star ocean. Okay, fine, rush the ending and show us people sitting around a campfire telling the story of the goofus wolf god who beat women and put the stars in their sky.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 31, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Clevin

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=311 see comic 5 here for clevin

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I don't know what's going on anymore

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Clevins's very last appearance, where he gets cucked and scared off by Patrick, is the funniest loving thing in the comic

And then it's followed by Patrick's mind palace which is the dumbest storyline in the comic and probably what finally killed it

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

What is Clevin. Also I feel like I have asked this before but I still don't know so feel free to ignore this dumbass question.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

GunnerJ posted:

What is Clevin. Also I feel like I have asked this before but I still don't know so feel free to ignore this dumbass question.

Incredibly milquetoast boyfriend of the Strong Female Protagonist in the comic of the same name, whose increasing prominence was seen as a marker of its massive decline. The comic decided he was a great model of emotional openness and healthy vulnerability.

Ironically he started out as “guy who failed to notice his roommate was a rapist and general POS, then saw his roommate get killed by an invisible superhero” which is kind of fantastic - he was the nice guy who fails to recognize or stop the awful guy, and later he’s held up as a role model. No sign he learned or grew from that at all either.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Clevin, moments before he is scared out of the comic forever by Alison's chad mind-reader crush

He plays guitar and likes indie movies

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

pik_d posted:

I don't know what's going on anymore

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

his loving name is "Clevin"

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Clevin is like the platonic ideal of the character trope we were talking before in this thread, where the writer thinks he's great and thus the characters also act like he's great, but in reality he is deeply mediocre at best and generally unlikable. Very dull (and a little whiny) spineless dork whose most notable trait was being generally nice and inoffensive. He felt kind of like an alt-right caricature of a beta soy male or whatever given life, down to the fact that he is "cucked" by a far more interesting and capable man kissing his girlfriend.

Said girlfriend, the protagonist, was generally out of Clevin's league to the tune of basically being female Superman in a world where a lot of people had superpowers, and he had none. Which would've been fine! A strong narrative theme was her attempts to live a normal life despite life's attempts to keep her from doing so, and there's nothing wrong with Superman having a Lois Lane. Except, you know, the aforementioned extremely bland personality, AND the fact that the comic had at that point teased multiple love interests who were infinitely more interesting AND had far more chemistry with her, including two female superheroes and a male ex-villain with mind reading powers (Patrick) that gave him a fascinatingly complex and hosed up relationship with his sense of self and others. Also worth noting is Patrick also had a long and complex history with the protagonist including prior romantic tension, and a lot of narrative parallels (her being incredibly powerful physically, him being incredibly powerful mentally, her being the most famous/powerful superhero and him the most famous/powerful villain).

The two women were hastily and awkwardly paired off with each other, but Patrick has a whole chapter where the protagonist explores his mind that then ends with them admitting they love each other and kissing in the void of his crumbling mindscape, while admitting that villains can be capable of heroism and vice versa. Then she wakes up and goes "uhmm noo I can't, I love you but I'm happy with clevin :(" and he's like "it ok I understand :)". This all happened shortly after Patrick casually destroyed Clevin by pointing out how lovely and flimsy his mental self-defense mechanisms are, causing him to freak out and run away.

A lot of people had issues with the mind palace arc (which I agree with, it was very stupid, though I like Patrick in general) but the ending where they kiss in the void while wearing symbolic superhero outfits after admitting they love each other felt... undeniably, deeply romantic and full of chemistry. All of this, and the fact that Patrick effortlessly ruins Clevin's day with a few words while in the middle of mentally and physically crumbling, made the part where she goes "but I love Clevin" and in general her extremely limp chemistryless relationship with him look very stupid, like she's deliberately picking a safe and boring option - yet the very telegraphed intended read is that her relationship with him is healthy and normal and she's very happy and genuinely in love with him.

The comic has been on hiatus since like 2018 and I'm guessing part of it was the author realizing they had no idea how to salvage Clevin's existence after Patrick pulled his proverbial pants down and kissed his girlfriend.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Thanks for the info, friendos! :) So basically he's the Tony of that comic, except not sorta written out after some big (quasi) redemption/justification moment, instead the author just gave up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

The author (and artist) gave up entirely on SFP and moved on to massively better work. Which would be damning by faint praise, so I should specify the massively better work seems to be at worst mediocre and often quite good.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Joe Slowboat posted:

The author (and artist) gave up entirely on SFP and moved on to massively better work. Which would be damning by faint praise, so I should specify the massively better work seems to be at worst mediocre and often quite good.

Really, SFP's fundamental flaw was the sheer hubris of the whole thing. We're going to do our first webcomic, it'll be long form storytelling(!) about another takedown of superheroes, a genre we do not read*(!!), asking the hard questions about power, violence and revolution even though we're milquetoast libs(!!!). The project was doomed to fail regardless of what other talent they may have.

*I think the writer mentioned he'd only read All-Star Superman at some point.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 31, 2023

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Yeah it was “We could totally write Millennial Watchmen, as non-cape-comics-readers”

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tiny Myers posted:

Lots of words about comic

You know, I really, truly get the desire of younger creators to subvert common toxic tropes by attempting to write healthy, balanced alternatives. Growing up with mostly unhealthy models for relationships do suck. But, part of the reason those models are so common is that it's a lot easier to make characters compelling when you load them up with a bunch of cool damage and nuance.

It's genuinely hard to create a good guy. That is, literally, a guy who is unambiguously good. It's why so many writers gently caress up Superman by trying to make him edgy. Wholesome, aspirational characters are difficult to make interesting! I feel like a lot of inexperienced storytellers don't grasp how difficult until they're already halfway through the plot and realize, "Oh no he's milquetoast!" but then have no idea how to fix things.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Clevin also wasn’t good - he was just self-satisfied and unthreatening. They hosed up by making the Nice Guy the one who was roommates with a date rapist and never noticed anything was wrong; to the point that he was iirc at a party where his buddy was creeping on a drunk girl and got upset when the SFP chased his buddy off.

Also he was a passive-aggressive little slime about not getting an explicit thank-you at a big event for something he didn’t actually take part in, because he had done the bare minimum Boyfriending for the SFP while she was working on the project.

Clevin’s a soft boy in the most negative sense.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've had a very weird time today discovering the guy from Dimension 20 was responsible for Clevin

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
drat, SFP was written by the funny College humor guy who gets mocked for liking birds?

I genuinely struggle to imagine him writing that.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Honestly though, despite SFP's problems, it really did have some surprisingly strong poo poo in it IMO. Like I agree it was WAY too loving ambitious but it still nailed some really strong emotional moments and asked some interesting questions, which makes it all the more sad that it fell apart.

I'm not really sure how you would best improve it, but "don't have a story arc about rape" and "don't make a character named Clevin" are probably the most important first steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

YggiDee posted:

I've had a very weird time today discovering the guy from Dimension 20 was responsible for Clevin
Are you surprised they have the same hair colour?