Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Tiggum posted:

I remain unconvinced.

For a very safe and inoffensive strip for middle schoolers it's decent. It has problems with satisfying payoffs and conflict set up but the characters are consistent, there aren't plot holes and it's more pleasant overall than something like Dustin. It also does how do you do fellow kids with things like the anime con without embarrassing the author.

It doesn't have many high points if any but it rests comfortably above the bad half of the thread.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

A few years ago at a mall I saw this happen. A huge fat guy on a rascal scooter was so intent on staring at a passing girl in yoga pants that he kept leaning over further and further to stare over his shoulder, while also steering his scooter more and more to one side until he ran into a stand where some young people were trying to sell newspaper subscriptions and knocked the whole thing over.

Lmao

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Double Buni since last week's second one came in late.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/30/03

Brenda Starr 5/31 - 6/2/51

Smokey Stover 12/18/55

Everyday Movies 8/19/36

"The size is right, but I really had my heart set on a pair of RED shorts."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/27-29/41

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

At first I thought ten was being an rear end in a top hat, but it was kinda over quick and he got better. I feel she has been a lot more consistently mean and an rear end in a top hat towards ten as the series progresses.

It's hard to forgive people sometimes. :(

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 06, 1958)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

It's hard to forgive people sometimes. :(

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 06, 1958)

Death flags so large that even Val can see them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"You know all those stories you heard about me? Don't do that, you've not got a prophecy."

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I can't tell if that A+J joke is about third base, or watching baseball on TV instead of enjoying the beach, or something else so un-horny it loops back around to being typical A+J levels of horn.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ronya posted:

I can't tell if that A+J joke is about third base, or watching baseball on TV instead of enjoying the beach, or something else so un-horny it loops back around to being typical A+J levels of horn.

I interpreted it as, "men don't talk about sex with each other."

There was a tweet that went around a while back about how there isn't any outlet for straight cis men to talk about intimacy, and how in spite of the reputation of "locker-room talk" the guys who talk that way are a huge minority. I have guy friends I've been close with for 25 years, with whom I've had deep and meaningful conversations about religion and family and abuse and fear and health/getting older and everything in-between, but the only evidence we've got that any of us has ever had sex is we all have kids.

It's just not a thing guys actually talk with each other about. My wife says she personally is the same way with her girlfriends, but the stereotype is definitely that (straight cis) women talk to each other about this stuff and men don't.

e: maybe that's overthinking it and the joke is more simply, "boys aren't as in-tune to romance," but it's what my brain immediately jumped on. Even if I were going to have a deep chat about sex and romance with another guy, I'd probably still prefer to talk baseball with my dad.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 31, 2023

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Doomykins posted:

It doesn't have many high points if any but it rests comfortably above the bad half of the thread.

Yeah, Heart is solid! I'm aware that i'm not the target audience, but i like the very low stakes, that makes it feel more geuinely Slice of Life-y.

Plus we saw some re-runs in the thread a few weeks ago, which showed that the art, and indeed the overall quality, has actually gotten better as the author has grown into the strip. One of the better legacy strips

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doomykins posted:

For a very safe and inoffensive strip for middle schoolers it's decent. It has problems with satisfying payoffs and conflict set up but the characters are consistent, there aren't plot holes and it's more pleasant overall than something like Dustin.
Damning with extremely faint praise there. A blank panel would be more pleasant than Dustin.

Sophie talked to Toni about getting back at the mayor, but Toni warned her to discuss it with the family first.

Remember how Abbey was going to sell up and move away? Well, not any more!

It may look like I edited that text onto that sign but that's actually unaltered. But never mind all that because it's time to switch the focus over to Sam for something a bit more dramatic. Yes, more dramatic than local government election campaigns, if you can imagine it.

Some months, almost nothing happens in Judge Parker. Other months, meth gangs assassinate a judge's family and frame his son for it and it's up to Sam Driver to get to the truth!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

arlo is a cardinals fan?? gonna need to rethink the wholesome nature of this strip

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ronya posted:

Personally I just think it would be very gross to talk to your son about having sex with his mom.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Judge Parker: Everyone's good-looking, angry, and talking.

This has been a Scrollpast™ comic strip evaluation

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Considering my own boss' boss has been being a huge douchenozzle as of late, I hope Stuart bursts into flames.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Slylock Fox: class traitor. :guillotine:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Bullying A Dog And His Awful Girlfriend

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Bullying A Dog And His Awful Girlfriend

Never in my entire time at college did an RA do a surprise inspection. Or any inspection for that matter.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Ahh, those were the days.
"I don't know what that is, better shoot it just to be safe."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

The Curse of Sally Forth

Skippy with some very recognizable energy. (August 14, 1935)

Peantus (August 2, 1976)

So I guess Crankshaft is just about comic books now.

Mutt and Jeff

The Freedom Crusade reference marks this one as a product of 1951, which for once gives me something to play around with.

(October 27, 1951)

If you were going to file the serial numbers off, you'd just swap a couple of references. How did they manage to mangle that dialogue so badly?

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 4, 1940)

Out Our Way (June 8-10, 1942)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

This actually sounds fine? Bananas can be super-sweet depending on ripeness, a little sea salt might offset that.

Also, get Curtis tested for Diabetes.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

At first I thought ten was being an rear end in a top hat, but it was kinda over quick and he got better. I feel she has been a lot more consistently mean and an rear end in a top hat towards ten as the series progresses.

To be fair he was probably being a dick to her for years before the group collectively told him to piss off. It’s understandable that it might take some time for her to stop being mad at him.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

confirmed: Linton is Robotanian

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

Peantus (August 2, 1976)

It's astonishing how Peanuts immediately transforms into a great comic as soon as Marcie and Peppermint Patty are the focus.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I really cannot overstate how much worse the grand Batiuk experiment has become since he consolidated worlds. Neither were good separately but together they're just the most unwanted crossover multiverse because now characters I never gave a poo poo about from Crankshaft give their opinions on topics I didn't care about from Funky. It's gonna rule when he stops making comics period.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

kidcoelacanth posted:

arlo is a cardinals fan?? gonna need to rethink the wholesome nature of this strip

I would've guessed he followed the Barves, but if he became a baseball fan before they moved to Atlanta the Cards make sense.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

howe_sam posted:

I would've guessed he followed the Barves, but if he became a baseball fan before they moved to Atlanta the Cards make sense.

Yeah, there were no MLB teams in the South before the 60s and St Louis AM radio covered half of the country, including the South.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Nothing I love reading about more than some smug boomer-types walking into a comics shop where there’s never anyone under 50 years old.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

maybealabia posted:

Really thinking of the Justice League episode Legends right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY0OHutRUC8&t=236s

The ice cream truck isn't in the episode that much but it leaves a strong impact because it's loaded with menace and mystery with a satisfying payoff. Contrasted with Crabgrass, where the autonomous ice cream truck that never sells any ice cream is just...a thing that exists. So that kids can have fun chasing after it, I guess.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

EasyEW posted:

Peantus (August 2, 1976)

Lmao. At this point I think he just likes the abuse.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Huxley posted:

I interpreted it as, "men don't talk about sex with each other."

There was a tweet that went around a while back about how there isn't any outlet for straight cis men to talk about intimacy, and how in spite of the reputation of "locker-room talk" the guys who talk that way are a huge minority. I have guy friends I've been close with for 25 years, with whom I've had deep and meaningful conversations about religion and family and abuse and fear and health/getting older and everything in-between, but the only evidence we've got that any of us has ever had sex is we all have kids.

It's just not a thing guys actually talk with each other about. My wife says she personally is the same way with her girlfriends, but the stereotype is definitely that (straight cis) women talk to each other about this stuff and men don't.

e: maybe that's overthinking it and the joke is more simply, "boys aren't as in-tune to romance," but it's what my brain immediately jumped on. Even if I were going to have a deep chat about sex and romance with another guy, I'd probably still prefer to talk baseball with my dad.

You are over thinking about a dad and his son not talking about the dad loving his mom.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Crab Dad posted:

You are over thinking about a dad and his son not talking about the dad loving his mom.

Yes, I agree.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

I don't know if this plays in English.

The Finnish word used for developing photographs is the same you'd use for bulking up your muscles or... other parts of your anatomy. Like a penis pump might be advertised as "developing your manhood" or something.

"No, don't stick your dick in the blix!"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hell yes, here comes Mr. (Second) Choi(ce)!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
everytime there's an "owo" in out our way my head goes weird places instinctively

good NIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "172 - Jucika Loves Beer"

"palackozott = bottled, sör = beer, elfogyott = sold out"

"173 - Jucika And The Motorist"

Quit your lovely job, marry Jucika. Works every time.