Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Hive- it's chess but good and bugs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Grundma posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on 2 player games to take camping? Normally I'd bring Race for the Galaxy but I've played it a ton and the other person I'm going with has never played so it wont be a fair matchup. Id like something on the meatier side if possible but open to suggestions.

Hive and Tash Kalar are pretty great.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Jekyll vs Hyde
Village Rails
Omen: Reign of War
Marvel Remix
Battle Line

All of those are fun, quick, thinky, and don't take much space in a back pack. Or you could take something like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective as it doesn't have tokens that might get lost. You would need some light to read, but...

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Thanks for the recommendations all! Gonna read up on these and see whats in stock locally.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Hey, That’s My Fish! is a criminally underrated small game that works great for 2-4 players. Even for non-gamers it only takes a turn or two for them to grok the area control mechanics and immediately start trying to screw other players out of territory.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Old Swerdlow posted:

Hey, That’s My Fish! is a criminally underrated small game that works great for 2-4 players. Even for non-gamers it only takes a turn or two for them to grok the area control mechanics and immediately start trying to screw other players out of territory.

Agree that this is an excellent option for a light 2-4p game. My only complaint is the tiny tile pieces and the time it takes to shuffle and reset all the tiles. Is there a trick to making this more efficient?

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
My dumb non-answer is to play it on Tabletop Simulator! I have a physical copy but have yet to play any irl games of it.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

onitama and the duke are both excellent 2p abstracts that pack up very small. oinks are even tinier and while most of them are geared towards a higher player count, a few work well at 2p. I’m thinking of Maskmen and Deep Sea Adventure with 2 divers each

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Grundma posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on 2 player games to take camping? Normally I'd bring Race for the Galaxy but I've played it a ton and the other person I'm going with has never played so it wont be a fair matchup. Id like something on the meatier side if possible but open to suggestions.

As far as meaty 2p games that are compact enough to take camping it's hard to beat Race, but here's my list nonetheless:

Summoner Wars 2nd Edition. Dice chucking army skirmisher. Big box but you can bring a subset of the totality of the game or buy a non-Master set. It has a good official in-browser adaptation you can try first, even with your gaming partner if possible!

Unmatched: Battle of Legends. A 1v1 dueler with heavy positioning emphasis and lots of card play. Does a great job of feeling extremely accessible in part because of the great graphic design and general polish.

Solforge Fusion. Basically a modern take on Magic the Gathering, even sharing a designer. This starts straying out of the scope of "board game" but it's a very humane distribution model and a very fun game. Ditches the unwieldy Mana system, ditches deckbuilding and net decking, and just leaves a satisfying my-dudes-vs-your-dudes conceit. Warning in that it basically requires a few extra tokens/dice from what's provided in the box to become comfortably playable.

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Grundma posted:

Hive is a good choice because it doesnt matter if you get it wet

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Tiny version of Onitama, plus it too can get wet

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Always make sure to properly moisten your games before playing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Old Swerdlow posted:

Yes exactly. I saw an old Mayfair copy several months ago at an LGS demo shelf and I've been weeping ever since at the current plastic version.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Pvt. Parts posted:

Unmatched: Battle of Legends. A 1v1 dueler with heavy positioning emphasis and lots of card play. Does a great job of feeling extremely accessible in part because of the great graphic design and general polish.

Can't think of another game that comes even close to the art direction they have for Unmatched! Most of the cards are just gorgeous. Seeing the Buffy-version at a store and trying Cobble and Fog made me immediately a fan of Unmatched (and made me rewatch Buffy).

I have also made and printed tons of reskins of the existing characters and ordered knock-off Legos for the miniatures. Playing something like Predator v Aliens v Doctor Octopus v Wolverine is very very fun. Every new player I've played with also loves Unmatched.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Grundma posted:

Cribbage, the ultimate 2 player card game

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Grundma posted:

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a great scaled down version of Agricola, focusing on the animal husbandry aspect.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ilmucche posted:

This 100%.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

As always, this thread speaks sense.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ilmucche posted:

Someone at my Tuesday group has a three-player crib board.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

Someone at my Tuesday group has a three-player crib board.

3 player and pairs cribbage are legit

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I actually really dislike 3 player cribbage :smith:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I play a ton of 3p cribbage with my wife and my dad, it's not as great as 2p but still very solid.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

With the friends who love backing flashy mediocre kickstarters, I played Distilled this weekend. I love trying new interesting spirits from around the world, and this game did not make me feel like I was doing anything related to them.

The multiple market rows were typically bleh, the interaction was extremely minimal, the production was gorgeous, the gambling aspect of losing two cards from your product was unpleasant.

It was monumentally better than the last one of these, though, which was Flamecraft. God, gently caress that game. Distilled was just completely meh.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Aramoro posted:

3 player and pairs cribbage are legit

We play it all the time at the cottage, loads of fun. Really lets you lean into screaming at your partner for having poo poo hands and vice versa.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ilmucche posted:

I actually really dislike 3 player cribbage :smith:
Yeah, same. It really dilutes the strategy around tossing cards into the crib.

Have not played pairs tho.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I saw Earth being played, and the card art were all pictures of like, mushrooms and lava flows and so forth. Great game.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mr. Squishy posted:

I saw Earth being played, and the card art were all pictures of like, mushrooms and lava flows and so forth. Great game.

Earth somehow made me nostalgic for Wingspan. That game looked pretty but played like a vegan nothingburger.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

One of my friends likes Boss Monster and I want to choke myself to death by eating the cards every time it comes out. What can I try to get him to play that's aesthetically similar but actually good?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Dungeon Lords :getin:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

You can play it on BGA. It's a real points salad but quite fun

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Dungeon Lords :getin:

Wholeheartedly agree

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Glagha posted:

One of my friends likes Boss Monster and I want to choke myself to death by eating the cards every time it comes out. What can I try to get him to play that's aesthetically similar but actually good?

Bargain Quest is probably the most similar. It is approximately the same weight, and has a similar theme except you're the merchants trying to hawk goods to the passing heroes instead of playing the bosses. It is also driven by card play. I have only gotten it to the table once and that time was merely okay, but I think that was because the teach took longer than we wanted it to. Still, everyone had fun and it is quite well regarded generally. As someone who has played Boss Monster at least ten times, it is a zillion times better than that game.

Finally set aside some time to play a few board games with my significant other. Won Patchwork. I forgot how good that game is. Lost Hanamikoji showing it to a player for the first time. Man I have no idea what the hell I am doing in that game. Finally, won 1 and lost 1 game of Codenames Duet. That game is absolutely fantastic.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Glagha posted:

Welcome to the Dungeon is a light game that is also vaguely dungeon diving theme but is actually more of a bluffing game. But if you want heavier, then yeah it is Dungeon Lords.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

You can play it on BGA. It's a real points salad but quite fun

I've only played it once and it felt like one time too many. It's got a much heavier emphasis on engine building than Wingspan, which sounds good, except that all the engines turn into an indistinguishable mash of gray goo since you can easily build your tableau to spit out every resource in 1 action and also everyone else gets to activate their tableau too. There's a relatively small number of turns but it felt interminable since every action involves every player. It also feels very lacking in the basic tension between building engines vs. rushing points since everything you do builds your engine and gets you points.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

dungeon mayhem is also fine as a filler with take that elements. the kyle ferrin art and d&d license do a lot of heavy lifting

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

the holy poopacy posted:

I've only played it once and it felt like one time too many. It's got a much heavier emphasis on engine building than Wingspan, which sounds good, except that all the engines turn into an indistinguishable mash of gray goo since you can easily build your tableau to spit out every resource in 1 action and also everyone else gets to activate their tableau too. There's a relatively small number of turns but it felt interminable since every action involves every player. It also feels very lacking in the basic tension between building engines vs. rushing points since everything you do builds your engine and gets you points.

Preach. Exactly my feeling after one game. Right next to Keyflower in terms of worst BGA async experiences.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Memnaelar posted:

Preach. Exactly my feeling after one game. Right next to Keyflower in terms of worst BGA async experiences.

Worst for me still goes to Dice Theme Park. It's like someone took a Vlaada and said "Gee, I hate how I'm always desperately scrambling for resources, I wish I had a game exactly this fiddly where everyone always wound up having enough resources to do everything they want but still had to laboriously resolve everything as if they didn't."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Looks like we are going to get Guilty Gear EXCEED

https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1686497377685766144?t=5VUCw_P1iWhWbLfYJV9IGQ&s=19

I didn't buy into the BlazBlue and Under-Night seasons but I might splash out for this one. Love me some Guilty Gear.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tekopo posted:

Looks like we are going to get Guilty Gear EXCEED

I always have trouble telling the difference between EXCEED and Battlecon. Can someone in the know maybe clue me in here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Magnetic North posted:

I always have trouble telling the difference between EXCEED and Battlecon. Can someone in the know maybe clue me in here?
BattleCON:
- Only has original characters.
- Works on a very limited number of cards divided into two different types: Style and Bases.
- Your hand size never changes apart from certain situations/characters.
- Only way to move/do any actions is by playing the attack pair.
- Combine Style and Base to create the move you want facedown, then reveal.
- Has no luck factors, completely deterministic.
- You know exactly what your opponent's options are.
- Relies heavily on reads (as well as being at correct ranges).

EXCEED:
- Has a mixture of original characters and licensed characters, divided into seasons. Can mix and match each different seasons with ease.
- Works by having a large deck of cards for each character, you randomly draw your attacks from this deck.
- Each card is a fully-formed attack as well as potentially an action (called a boost).
- You alternate turns either moving, doing actions by playing cards or striking (aka attacking).
- If you strike, each player plays a card from their hand face-down (starting with the attacker), then reveals.
- Your hand size can change depending on situations.
- You have a resource system when you hit attacks/do specific actions, that can be spent to EXCEED your character.
- Relies heavily on positioning and being at the correct range when playing specific attacks.

The tl;dr is that BattleCON is not random at all, while EXCEED is a bit more random due to the nature of the deck, but has more open movement options.