Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Schremp Howard posted:

I was at the national sports collectors convention this past week, and one of the auction houses there had some records graded by the AMG company I shared several pages ago. We already knew this but it’s dumb as hell. They had this on display:

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/mu...cription-071515

Meanwhile here’s the discogs page for it

https://www.discogs.com/release/4232872-2Pac-R-U-Still-Down-Remember-Me

I wish I had taken a picture, because I swear it has a sign with it touting an estimated value of $6000.

Even the sports card people were calling it out as being dumb as hell and getting hyped by the wrong people looking to pump and dump their own stock, and that’s an industry that shamelessly does that all the time.

I think this is the same company that was doing that NES Super Mario stuff where they were like valuing carts for thousands and using influencers to say they were worth way more than they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Grading companies are a scam.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think this is the same company that was doing that NES Super Mario stuff where they were like valuing carts for thousands and using influencers to say they were worth way more than they were.

That was VGA I think. I wonder if the lawsuits resolved yet? Heritage Auctions and the crazy rich graded comic book "investors" were in on that one too.

Edit: My bad, it was WATA that was colluding with the auction house and was sued. Video game grading as a whole is still dumb though.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 29, 2023

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Found a real dusty record at the thrift store today.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
G|----7-xx8-x5-x77|----7-xx8-x5-x77
D|0-0-(letring)-- |0-0-(let ring)--

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Nightmare Cinema posted:

G|----7-xx8-x5-x77|----7-xx8-x5-x77
D|0-0-(letring)-- |0-0-(let ring)--

Grabbed it, thanks!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Schremp Howard posted:

I was at the national sports collectors convention this past week, and one of the auction houses there had some records graded by the AMG company I shared several pages ago. We already knew this but it’s dumb as hell. They had this on display:

I wish I had taken a picture, because I swear it has a signwith it touting an estimated value of $6000.

Even the sports card people were calling it out as being dumb as hell and getting hyped by the wrong people looking to pump and dump their own stock, and that’s an industry that shamelessly does that all the time.

Slabbing media is so godamn dumb.

I think there is some guy on YouTube who "liberates" slabbed comics.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Oh Jesus Christ, now they're doing it to records? gently caress off.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
No. Records are meant to be listened to. Get worn out. Shown love.

At least cards you can kind of enjoy while in a grading sleeve thing.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"vinyl just has such a warm sound, you know? It's the only way to experience music"

"Okay but do you have any that aren't in plastic cases?"

"No, but I have MP3s of all of them. You want to listen?"

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

There were only, like three people swarming B&N's Criterion sale last night, but there at least a dozen teens swarming the vinyl with two of 'em losing their minds over finding 311's debut. Nobody in actual record stores ever gets as excited as these kids getting hyped to listen to All Mixed Up.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

got my deluxe edition of the new blur record last night

(it's the regular album in grey and black splatter with a two-track 7" and a poster of the album art)

and it got pretty thrashed in transit, the sleeve is extremely krinkled and the LP is salad-bowling, but it plays okay

still kind of annoyed

also since i bought another blur record a few nights ago (the new-ish vinyl pressing of bustin' and dronin') and when the clerk asked me my opinion of the new one, i had to say i hadn't heard it yet, since i was waiting on the deluxe edition, which was shipping late

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

hexwren posted:

got my deluxe edition of the new blur record last night

(it's the regular album in grey and black splatter with a two-track 7" and a poster of the album art)

and it got pretty thrashed in transit, the sleeve is extremely krinkled and the LP is salad-bowling, but it plays okay

still kind of annoyed

I uh

You should ask for a replacement.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

probably. i just don't know how I'm going to provide enough evidence of it to the distributor

just looking at it, even in bright light, you can't really tell, it becomes obvious when you're actively handling it, but that's where photos are imperfect

I'll see about trying to photograph the damage when i get back home later tonight

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

hexwren posted:

probably. i just don't know how I'm going to provide enough evidence of it to the distributor

just looking at it, even in bright light, you can't really tell, it becomes obvious when you're actively handling it, but that's where photos are imperfect

Shoot a video which produces dozens of individual images per seconds, moving the record around to show all the awful damage. Upload to Youtube as an unlisted video, and send them the link.

I received a beat up punk record and yes I felt bad being a little bitch about a punk record. Thankfully the record store had another copy, so I asked for an exchange, and they were happy to send another copy (I paid to return the damaged one, it's not the record store's fault that the post hosed it up). The store owner ended up keeping it for themselves :)

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 30, 2023

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

caligulamprey posted:

There were only, like three people swarming B&N's Criterion sale last night, but there at least a dozen teens swarming the vinyl with two of 'em losing their minds over finding 311's debut. Nobody in actual record stores ever gets as excited as these kids getting hyped to listen to All Mixed Up.

That song is on their 3rd album :)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

ahhahaha I absolutely googled it and it looks like Google sorts by popularity rather than chronology and I wasn't paying attention. :pseudo:

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

bagina posted:

Man, as much of a massive Pink Floyd fan that I was, Sud’s solo work is… challenging. I rather enjoyed Piper at the Gates of Dawn, but after that, it’s hard to listen to his descent into madness.

I'm in the same boat. Huge fan of PF but Syd's stuff is tough. The material that David GIlmour helped out with (I think it was madcap) can be pretty good.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

The cover doesn't photograph well, but I got a copy of Migration by Buried At Sea and it is heavy as gently caress. It makes me want to drive a bulldozer through my house.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 30, 2023

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Frozen Peach posted:

No. Records are meant to be listened to. Get worn out. Shown love.

At least cards you can kind of enjoy while in a grading sleeve thing.

Nobody that's buying these things owns a turntable.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

CPL593H posted:

They probably store it in a warehouse with unopened MTG boxes.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

CPL593H posted:

I hate that so much

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I did not intend to go to the record store two weeks in a row but here we are.

Only regret is the Waylon Jennings. They had a couple for like $15-20 and I had a complete brain fart and grabbed the only album of his I have already. I don’t know how I screwed that up other than I haven’t listened to it in a minute. at least it’s a good record to have two of.

Also I finally grabbed Rumours after finding a copy for $7. I refused to pay the $20-25 I kept seeing it for. There were like four copies of it that day and only one was less than $20.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

z0331 posted:

Only regret is the Waylon Jennings. They had a couple for like $15-20 and I had a complete brain fart and grabbed the only album of his I have already. I don’t know how I screwed that up other than I haven’t listened to it in a minute. at least it’s a good record to have two of.

You don't have I've Always Been Crazy? :colbert: Shame!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Schremp Howard posted:

I wish I had taken a picture, because I swear it has a sign with it touting an estimated value of $6000.

I like that the auction has stalled out at $92 which probably barely covers the cost of having it graded and slabbed. Meanwhile there is an auction for a raggedy signed CD booklet (no cd lol) going for almost 6k.

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/mu...soViewed-012417

Anyways. New all vinyl mix I made dropped today.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-46-w-pete-moss/

quote:

1. Black Market Brass - Omega
2. Les McCann - Burning Coal
3. Larry Harlow - Mess Around
4. Funkproof - Don't Throw This Love Away (Instrumental)
5. Marvin Holmes and the Uptights - Scratch
6. Peggy Scott and Jo Jo Benson - Soulshake
7. Syl Johnson - Walk a Mile in My Shoes
8. Al Green - Wait Here
9. Stevie Wonder - Jesus Children of America
10. Childish Gambino - Boogie Man
11. Tyler the Creator - Puppet
12. Whodini - Freaks Come Out at Night
13. Osé - Computer Funk
14. Beck - Nicotine and Gravy
15. Prince - New World
16. The Weeknd - How do I Make You Love Me
17. Sade - Jezebel
18. Louis Gasca - Visions

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

z0331 posted:

Also I finally grabbed Rumours after finding a copy for $7. I refused to pay the $20-25 I kept seeing it for. There were like four copies of it that day and only one was less than $20.
People always talk like this album is a perennial dollar bin item, but I've been digging through thrift store records for like 15 years and somehow have never found it.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

wa27 posted:

People always talk like this album is a perennial dollar bin item, but I've been digging through thrift store records for like 15 years and somehow have never found it.

I think I've seen it cheap a couple times but agreed that somehow it's both ubiquitous and expensive.

Read After Burning posted:

You don't have I've Always Been Crazy? :colbert: Shame!

I rarely see his stuff. I almost grabbed Lonesome, On'ry and Mean. :negative:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

It's one of the highest selling albums of all time so there's no shortage of them. Any record dealer has absolutely come across and sold countless copies of it. Classic rock albums tend to fly right out of thrift stores even when they're in absolutely unplayable condition so I'm not all that surprised it doesn't pop up there a lot.

Incidentally I did give away a copy of Rumours in this thread years back. Someone gave me two or three crates of records and there wasn't much of interest to me. It was mostly 80s top 40 and classic rock best ofs so I just offered poo poo to anyone who wanted to pay shipping. The rest of it ended up getting destroyed in a basement flood a few years later and ended up in the trash. In retrospect there was probably a handful of things I gave away that I'd end up being interested in a bit later but oh well. It was mostly not to my taste then or now. I did get a handful of stone cold classics out of it including a UK second pressing of Dark Side of the Moon.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 31, 2023

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Crossposting from the metal thread, but my Vorga album finally came and it sounds amazing. It looks fantastic too - the gatefold is foil and the vinyl is blue splatter. I ordered it last August. Delays at the pressing plant and having to go through the label in India meant... getting it today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Speaking of metal vinyl, I just got some in today and this is the one I'm most excited about.

Cult Never Dies release, 500 copies.

Also

More Bathory :black101:

The only Entombed album I like

And my favorite Katatonia record

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

free aphex twin code

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Musician Death inflation news: Last week, it was possible to score an original vinyl copy of Sinéad O'Connor's The Lion And The Cobra for less than $30. Now you can't find one under $150.

I hate this hobby.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yeah that poo poo sucks. I'm only a recent fan of her work, but didnt bother trying to start collecting. I've seen all my local shops shoot up in price with what they had of hers.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Musician Death inflation news: Last week, it was possible to score an original vinyl copy of Sinéad O'Connor's The Lion And The Cobra for less than $30. Now you can't find one under $150.

I hate this hobby.

It'll go down in a couple of weeks when they realize no one is paying that. Probably not to 30 bucks though.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I hate this hobby.

Just saw one at Argy’s Records in Winnipeg for 20 bucks, NM. I was too busy buying Streetheart and Weakerthans albums instead, because I’m in Winnipeg…

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
David Bowie's records all went into the stratosphere for a bit after he died but then settled down again after six months or so.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Got some codes from some recent vinyl so have at it

Owen, American Football, and Death Cab For Cutie

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Since other people are posting I just remembered:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Heath posted:

David Bowie's records all went into the stratosphere for a bit after he died but then settled down again after six months or so.

It's the circle of liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I mean if you're trying to buy Sinéad O'Connor records after her death you're part of the problem (or you have the worst timing ever).