Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ikanreed posted:

The "environmentally friendly" paper straws restaurants use are lined with so much plastic to keep them from getting soggy, I bet they actually increase the amount of plastic being dumped into the environment.

I mean I doubt it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ikanreed posted:

The "environmentally friendly" paper straws restaurants use are lined with so much plastic to keep them from getting soggy, I bet they actually increase the amount of plastic being dumped into the environment.

That's not wax? Seriously?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Cerekk posted:

59 oz half gallon, also gently caress the poor

thats super hosed up

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Jelly posted:

This makes me angrier than anything in this thread. Like how is this legal? You can't redefine a measurement system.

Okay, go ahead and show me all the historical examples of redefining a measurement system.

They're not redefining anything. They just now sell a carton of milk that is 59 ounces. As long as it's labelled as such, perfectly legal. lovely for no good reason, but legal.

I haven't seen it in milk, but most of the ice cream containers are now slightly less than the typical size. "Pint" ice cream is normally 15 ounces for example.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Triikan posted:

They're not redefining anything. They just now sell a carton of milk that is 59 ounces. As long as it's labelled as such, perfectly legal. lovely for no good reason, but legal.

I haven't seen it in milk, but most of the ice cream containers are now slightly less than the typical size. "Pint" ice cream is normally 15 ounces for example.

"Half gallons" of ice cream have been 1.5 qt for a while

I've been to bars that have 12 and 14 oz "pints" and they actually call them pints instead of relying on the historical/colloquial understanding of size to mislead without technically lying to you.

"It's just a term for a glass of beer" --an actual thing said to me with a straight face

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not the right thread at all

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

blunt posted:

Regardless of which non-apple phone you buy, make sure you deactivate iMessage before you move your SIM/number to the new phone, else you won't get txt messages until you do (which will suck for trying to log back into apps).

Noted, thanks!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah and also give it a few days to catch up, don't disable imessage and then transfer the sim 5 minutes after.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Outrail posted:

That's not wax? Seriously?

It used to be wax. It doesn't have the texture of wax in the one I just used

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ikanreed posted:

Vestigial environmentalism.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ikanreed posted:

Can we use them as candles?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

A ton of wax nowadays is paraffin wax, i.e. it's made from fossil fuels, is not biodegradable, and is generally not great for the environment. This includes waxes used for cheeses (much to my chagrin), and also candles (which is great because paraffin wax gives off toxic fumes when burned)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

anonumos posted:

Vestigial environmentalism.

It's the original definition of "virtue signaling" before the conservatives grabbed that term. A corporate entity attempting to attain a brand of something positive, through entirely token efforts and a lot of marketing.

You should, as a general rule, assume everything marketed as environmentally friendly is worse for the environment.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/0sJkhhZWkWo

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Corporations figured out a long time ago that it's cheaper to say that they're being green rather than actually putting in any effort. One ad that still makes me angry months later was when Lidl put a huge poster ad outside their store saying how much plastic they're saving by removing the plastic forks from their single serving salad bowls.

1. Who put the fork there in the first place?
2. The container itself is still made of plastic, and considerably more than how much was used for the fork.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
On that note I just wanna say gently caress paper straws. Like who the hell thought of that? Make the cup paper and let the straw be plastic. Saves more plastic and also my straw doesn't dissolve in my mouth.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Guys, they don’t give a single hot gay gently caress about the environment, they do things like removing forks because it saves them a bit of money. They’d remove the bowl and paper straws and cups too and just throw the food in your face if they could spin it as environment-friendly.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

There's been a lot written about how corporations learned from the downfall of the tobacco industry and how they need to get out ahead of public backlashes to steer the conversation. So oil companies make commercials talking about their bullshit green energy initiatives and the plastic packaging industry more or less made up the idea of recyclable plastics to assuage people's guilt. They're not trying to convince anyone. They just want to introduce enough doubt that people go, "Eh, that's probably enough."

And for the record, plastics can be recycled but they almost never actually are even if you put them in the correct bin.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Adults shouldn't need to use straws.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Every job application requires creating an account on the company's Workday instance now, I'm applying for jobs and I have like 200 new Workday accounts

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

steinrokkan posted:

Something that might actually work would be putting up huge signs that say “Straws available by request for children and disabled people”

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

How else am I supposed to look sultry while drinking my Mountain Dew 64oz Big Gulp?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Biplane posted:

How else am I supposed to look sultry while drinking my Mountain Dew 64oz Big Gulp?

Just lol if you're not butt-chugging straight out of the soda fountain imo

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Every job application requires creating an account on the company's Workday instance now, I'm applying for jobs and I have like 200 new Workday accounts

This is the absolute worst and the company that built Workday should be burned to the ground

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

DoubleT2172 posted:

This is the absolute worst and the company that built Workday should be burned to the ground

Somehow it has something to do with payroll where I work :shrug:

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

uggh jobsearching:bang: last time I had to do it I had to start using a burner email because of the torrent of spam that would flood in after 20 or so applications, did you really think somebody could or even would want to buy your crap when they are out of the job you idiots.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

A ton of wax nowadays is paraffin wax, i.e. it's made from fossil fuels, is not biodegradable, and is generally not great for the environment. This includes waxes used for cheeses (much to my chagrin), and also candles (which is great because paraffin wax gives off toxic fumes when burned)

THANK YOU, as you can imagine I’m very much a candle person and paraffin wax is in loving everything and some companies will pull this “oh it’s a blend” when it’s majority paraffin. It’s worth spending the extra money on soy wax a thousand times over.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like how Ziprecruiter alerts you when your application gets viewed because it really highlights just how few people posting jobs on ziprecruiter actually view the applications they receive.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Someone gave me a thumbs up on zip recruiter once. They didn’t call but I got a thumb. Gonna put it on my fridge.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I have a conspiracy theory that boba tea was a plastic industry psyop in response to the environmental backlash against straws: getting lots of people hooked on a tea that requires a straw to drink.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you're going conspiracy, self-dissoving straws are just another part of anti-human hostile architecture along the same lines as fast food companies specifically using seating designed to be uncomfortable

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Bodyholes posted:

I have a conspiracy theory that boba tea was a plastic industry psyop in response to the environmental backlash against straws: getting lots of people hooked on a tea that requires a straw to drink.

More places need to allow you to bring your own cup. I'll bring my own reusable metal boba straw, but it feels pointless when the cup is plastic and effectively unrecyclable.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

blunt posted:

Regardless of which non-apple phone you buy, make sure you deactivate iMessage before you move your SIM/number to the new phone, else you won't get txt messages until you do (which will suck for trying to log back into apps).

You can also do it from web if for some reason you forget or don't know.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

And logging back into apps will actually work fine because phone number 2FA relies on SMS.
It's only Apple users trying to send you iMessages that won't fall back to SMS, so you won't receive the message because as far as the server is concerned it delivered it successfully as iMessage.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
My new thermostat had a default setting that ignores your temperature target if it thinks nobody is home.

Like, "oh you just touched my screen, let me get started on that, just 15-degrees of cooling left to go!"

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

emSparkly posted:

On that note I just wanna say gently caress paper straws. Like who the hell thought of that? Make the cup paper and let the straw be plastic. Saves more plastic and also my straw doesn't dissolve in my mouth.

The intention was good but, boy-howdy, you better start using it quick because eww.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Something that might actually work would be putting up huge signs that say “Straws available by request for children and disabled people”

"Sir, we can't offer you a straw, but we do have reusable sippy cups for sale"

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I think the thing that makes the self-checkouts at local grocerystore good is that it's like 99% scan a bar code. It only uses a scale if you're buying fruits or vegetables by the pound, otherwise it's just put everything on conveyor, scan, put it back in you cart, repeat until you are no longer stealing. There are still cashiers but they're mainly for people with fucknormous orders/kids/boomers who do not like change.

I was using a metal stray with flexible segments before covid, I should get back into the habit of using that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Volcott posted:

I think the thing that makes the self-checkouts at local grocerystore good is that it's like 99% scan a bar code. It only uses a scale if you're buying fruits or vegetables by the pound, otherwise it's just put everything on conveyor, scan, put it back in you cart, repeat until you are no longer stealing. There are still cashiers but they're mainly for people with fucknormous orders/kids/boomers who do not like change.

Buying booze too. IDK the Kroger stores here were already trying to transition to self-check-primary for like 2 years before COVID, then kicked it into overdrive and then the Albertsons all started installing self-checks.
The closest Smith's to my house locks up all the toiletries at like 7PM and is pretty much self-check-only after 5 until 10:40, when they kick your rear end out. I do live in the hood, though, and that change was primarily a crowd control one (3 out of 5 times you go to that store someone is yelling about "just take it back, I didn't even want it!" at security).

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
FFS! self-checkout is fine. I'm only buying for myself and maybe two days out. I'm in and out like a duck mating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I live in CT so all the good hooch is in a different store, but if you're getting beer they usually have to call over a manager because "watch the self-checkouts" guy is usually underage.