Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
gently caress it. Double down. Im here for the banter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You can admit you made a very bad joke that only makes sense to you, it's okay, you don't have to double down.

Anyway, here's a really good article on James Houston, who is aiming for 16 sacks this year and I hope he gets them. 'The Problem' is the Future

He made a joke referencing a post like 3 before it. Wasn’t that hard to make sense of it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You call his posts the dumbest ravings on God's green Earth and yet you're still reading them. Curious!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I am going to boldly predict that the Vikings will not reach 13 wins this season.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:mrgw:

https://twitter.com/CourtneyRCronin/status/1686054668412026880

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Claypool making a catch is hype.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah the whitehair snapping thing was why he got moved to guard in the first place.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The fact that it took five days of training camp before we got a "The offense had a bad drill" tweet means this is probably the best Bears offense in a decade

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Dexo posted:

yeah the whitehair snapping thing was why he got moved to guard in the first place.

The botched snap was Lucas Patrick actually; not sure why he got rotated in with the first team

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

xbilkis posted:

The fact that it took five days of training camp before we got a "The offense had a bad drill" tweet means this is probably the best Bears offense in a decade

Also it sounds like Fields generally was still good.

https://twitter.com/adamjahns/status/1686056413615857664

https://twitter.com/adamjahns/status/1686057862693371914

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/burchie_kid/status/1686060232139587599?t=8ZJtA_-tsOw8kO73dYcwTg&s=19

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm trying not to react too strongly to training camp results in any direction this year, so mostly what these reports have made me think about is how for the past several years we've gotten reporters straight-up saying "Yeah the offense has looked like two packs of rear end basically every day" and Bears fans still found a way to be optimistic. Telling ourselves "Well the defense should be ahead of the offense early on...". Dire stuff

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Let's goooooo

https://twitter.com/CadenSunila/status/1686058706935463940

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I need football to start again so I can funnel my anger and frustration into an on screen product instead of offseason training camp tweets.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1686087089849278464

Lmao

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Nobody tell him that means something.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fishing with the fam posted:

I need football to start again so I can funnel my anger and frustration into an on screen product instead of offseason training camp tweets.

HOF game is thursday right?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Forrest on Fire posted:

Nobody tell him that means something.

Is this going to be like in WWE where they named a women's stable the "Submission Sorority" and then promptly changed it a week later?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Shrimpy posted:

Is this going to be like in WWE where they named a women's stable the "Submission Sorority" and then promptly changed it a week later?

No because WWE knew what they were doing when they did that lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

HootTheOwl posted:

HOF game is thursday right?

Preseason doesn't count. This is actually one my least favorite times of the year. Mitch trained me to hate training camp hype, and watching preseason games is just awful. Just get me real football!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
You all need to get into the real krokodil of football - British amateur leagues. It's playoff time soon baby can the Manchester Titans pull off the repeat???

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MikeCrotch posted:

You all need to get into the real krokodil of football - British amateur leagues. It's playoff time soon baby can the Manchester Titans pull off the repeat???

I, no poo poo, knew a guy who went from intermural football in callifornia to starting safety in one of those leagues. it owned because he was like only 5'2"

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 1, 2023

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Starting to feel excitement for the Packers mystery box season. Last year was a really odd year overall for most of the position groups. Like the offensive line started out rough with garbage like Hanson and Newman playing, Jenkins coming back from injury and playing tackle instead of guard etc. Then the Rodgers thumb injury hampered him once the line started to settled. So hopefully the line starts out settled, run the ball, and it seems like Love has a solid deep ball so bomb it out to Watson and such.

Defensively also started out like poo poo. The secondary was in shambles as playing Douglas in the slot didn’t work, Stokes was horrible both against the pass and run defense, and the safety play was really bad with Amos looking washed and Savage eventually getting benched. Barry was also stubborn and not adjusting his calls. He eventually did especially post bye where the defense switched mainly to a Cover 6 and Cover 2 vs his normal Cover 1 and 3. But it’s hard to blitz out of the new formations so they eventually had a rough go against better lines like the Lions since they had lost Gary to an ACL tear. Pass rush depth should be vastly better this year, notably with the drafting of Van Ness and having Gary back so should be interesting if they continue with Cover 6. Safety play will probably be by far the weakest position on the team though as it looks like Savage and Ford will be the starters. But the corners really settled down once Stokes went out with injury, letting Douglas move back to the outside and the rise of Nixon as the slot corner. Probably the most interesting change is Clark is going to play power end in the base formation, with Slaton at NT. Not that they run base much so probably won’t matter in the end.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 1, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hand Row posted:

But the corners really settled down once Stokes went out with injury, letting Douglas move back to the outside and the rise of Nixon as the slot corner.

I really wonder what's gonna happen once Stokes is back from injury. Are they putting Jaire in the slot? Sul seems so much better outside.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think Stokes simply has lost his starting spot.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hand Row posted:

So the corner depth is gonna look something like Jaire-Stokes, Nixon-Valentine, and Douglas-JeanCharles?

e: LaFleur actually mentioned Valentine just now in his presser: https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/1686390187587489794

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 1, 2023

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yeah Valentine was the super athletic pick that’s showing more refinement than you would expect starting off. I know initial scouting reports had him projected as a boundary guy and not slot but who knows. So in your list he might be Douglas backup and Jean Charles is Nixon backup in the slot.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Hand Row posted:

Yeah unless Stokes can win his spot back it'll be Jaire and Douglas on the perimeter with Nixon in the slot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/CEmma670/status/1686415503751892993

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

HootTheOwl posted:

I, no poo poo, knew a guy who went from intermural football in callifornia to starting safety in one of those leagues. it owned because he was like only 5'2"

Britain - the place where the 3rd string qb for a mid size college can be king

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

MikeCrotch posted:

Britain - the place where the 3rd string qb for a mid size college can be king

Sean Payton went from "stunningly poo poo Bears QB" to "legendary Leicester Panthers QB", IIRC. (And ditched them before the championship game to go take a coaching job back in the States lol.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1686486882941648896

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Briskerhands Fountain

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

I'm trying not to react too strongly to training camp results in any direction this year, so mostly what these reports have made me think about is how for the past several years we've gotten reporters straight-up saying "Yeah the offense has looked like two packs of rear end basically every day" and Bears fans still found a way to be optimistic. Telling ourselves "Well the defense should be ahead of the offense early on...". Dire stuff

Every tweet last year was "the defense is absolutely destroying the offense". The fact there have been a lot of positive offensive tweets shows they've made some progress.

Also, the fact that the OC learned that Fields was fast around Week 7 makes me think their offense will be more catered toward his running abilities that are probably not going to get much attention in training camp.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The defensive line does seem to be beating the poo poo out of the O-line still so that is suboptimal.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
How much money do you make playing for something like a British league or hell, the downcard leagues in the states?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I think it's roughly "not even close to being enough to play tackle football for a job".

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Dexo posted:

The defensive line does seem to be beating the poo poo out of the O-line still so that is suboptimal.

Well when you have guys like Akiem Hicks, Khalil Mack and Robert Quinn that makes a lot of sense *touches earpiece* oh. oh dear

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

MJeff posted:

How much money do you make playing for something like a British league or hell, the downcard leagues in the states?

British leagues are amateur, most people pay to play. Bigger teams might have some paid players but not really.

University league has a few top teams which pay Americans to come over on scholarships.

Europe is more organised, the European League of Football is an actual pro league but most players are young dudes on not much money sharing a flat in Berlin or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The guy I knew was active duty military and moonlighting after work