Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CapnAndy posted:

Wait, the prettyboy assassin is Slade Wilson? How did I miss that?

I think the credits have spoiled it but the other hint that was pointed out in another thread is which side of his face is covered by his bangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Arist posted:

100% agreed. People are freaking out that Lois is mad that Clark lied, but the real issue is that Lois, through the entire episode, is constantly giving him chances he's refusing to take.
Maybe "Lois gets fed up with the denials and jumps off a building in front of Clark" is a canon event?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Secret Invasion was a waste of time but my time isn’t valuable.

Thes best part is that because it was pointless and boring, it never needs to be thought of again.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Secret Invasion would have worked a lot better as a movie but I guess there isn't enough star power to have it make enough money for that. If only they had a platform where they could make it as some sort of 90 minute special not beholden to the old ways of broadcast TV

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CapnAndy posted:

Maybe "Lois gets fed up with the denials and jumps off a building in front of Clark" is a canon event?

I mean it happened in the movie right?

I think Superman 2?

Also yeah I think people are just freaking out cuz of Invincible and Amber which.. yeah uh.. wow the internet got really goddamn angry.

Also I'm really glad Jimmy being ignored/third wheeled will be addressed.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 1, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mycot posted:

No they're onto something, there's something weirdly... ungenerous about how people approach serial stories these days, like the latest plot development is the only thing that's ever going to exist.

Like to stay on topic over in My Adventures with Superman people have been freaking out all week about Lois forcing Superman to reveal his identity like Lois and Clark are going to hate each other forever now and this is not a bump in the relationship that's going to be overcome, like literally every other relationship drama. Or that Slade Wilson is going to stay pretty and in possession of two eyes forever and this is not setup for him to get hosed up and lose an eye.

That's a weird hang up with expectations from a certain segment of the audience. The poster I quoted seems to be arguing against the concept of criticism of episodic TV in favor of whatever rush you get from binging a series at a time. It's annoying...esp when so much good TV used to care so much about crafting well written plots on a weekly basis, which seems to be a vanishing art.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shageletic posted:

That's a weird hang up with expectations from a certain segment of the audience. The poster I quoted seems to be arguing against the concept of criticism of episodic TV in favor of whatever rush you get from binging a series at a time. It's annoying...esp when so much good TV used to care so much about crafting well written plots on a weekly basis, which seems to be a vanishing art.
It's a vanishing art because the writers don't craft plots and episodes on a weekly basis, all the big companies just hire the writers for a week or less to bang out an entire season's worth of scripts as quickly as possible and then fire them immediately before they start filming or even finish casting all of the actors. Any adjustments to be made if things just aren't working on screen or if an actor isn't meshing with the material are left to the showrunner if they are also a writer, or more likely just not made.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Loki season 2 is looking good. It releases on my birthday, so I am taking it as a sign.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Joe Fisto posted:

Loki season 2 is looking good. It releases on my birthday, so I am taking it as a sign.

Did you end up liking Secret Invasion by the time it ended or did you dislike it like most everyone else?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Mr Hootington posted:

Did you end up liking Secret Invasion by the time it ended or did you dislike it like most everyone else?

Dislike? No it was ok. Will I watch it again? Nah.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I enjoyed it, but the only Marvel Series I'll rewatch are Hawkeye, She-Hulk, and Moon Knight

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Hawkeye is a Christmas classic in the making.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just to check -- and this is probably going to be my own fault for having the expectation -- but there was absolutely nothing hinting to the existence of Teddy Altman in this show about Skrull refugees living on Earth dealing with the sociopolitical fallout of their lost empire in a war against the Kree? Like, the bar was subterranean and they still tripped on it?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Assepoester posted:

It's a vanishing art because the writers don't craft plots and episodes on a weekly basis, all the big companies just hire the writers for a week or less to bang out an entire season's worth of scripts as quickly as possible and then fire them immediately before they start filming or even finish casting all of the actors. Any adjustments to be made if things just aren't working on screen or if an actor isn't meshing with the material are left to the showrunner if they are also a writer, or more likely just not made.

This loving sucks!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/OneTakeNews/status/1686156785294426113?t=J6ER7NgPLalS5bk8R926XQ&s=19

Well, you know Ollie would actually support the strike. I guess Arrow was dollarama Batman

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
bitch you ain't getting work cuz you suck at acting, not the strikes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

site posted:

bitch you ain't getting work cuz you suck at acting, not the strikes

Stephen Amell is currently starring in the wrestling drama Heels, the second season of which premiered last week.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe he’s trying not to break kayfabe and just wants to generate some cheap heat.

But probably not.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
This is really disappointing. Amell always seemed like a cool guy, but this is like, the test. Everyone is lined up to fight to keep acting a thing that exists and people can make a living doing. Even if you've got some disagreements about tactics, you still have a duty to keep that poo poo behind closed doors and present a unified front in public.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If he's at comic con promoting his work he's officially a scab.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gripweed posted:

Stephen Amell is currently starring in the wrestling drama Heels, the second season of which premiered last week.

didn't even know starz existed still

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

site posted:

didn't even know starz existed still

Man I jsut found out Daniel Radcliff and Steve Buscemi star in a post apocalyptic fantasy comedy that has been running for four seasons. This streaming poo poo makes it impossible to know what's going on.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BrianWilly posted:

Just to check -- and this is probably going to be my own fault for having the expectation -- but there was absolutely nothing hinting to the existence of Teddy Altman in this show about Skrull refugees living on Earth dealing with the sociopolitical fallout of their lost empire in a war against the Kree? Like, the bar was subterranean and they still tripped on it?
Not a hint, no.

They're also clearly building to Young Avengers without taking the opportunity to bring back Billy and Tommy in Multiverse of Madness, so... who knows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Man I jsut found out Daniel Radcliff and Steve Buscemi star in a post apocalyptic fantasy comedy that has been running for four seasons. This streaming poo poo makes it impossible to know what's going on.

The show is actually an anthology series so each season has been completely different.

S1: Set in modern day; Buscemi is God about to end the world with Radcliffe as an angel in the "answered prayers" department of Heaven who can save the Earth if he successfully helps two losers fall in love.

S2: Set in a vague "Middle Ages" time; Radcliffe is the wimpy son of a warmonger king with Buscemi as a local shitshoveler

S3: Set in the Old West; Radcliffe is a preacher who's flock picks up stakes and wants to travel to Oregon with Buscemi as a notorious gunfighter who agrees to be their trailboss.

Technically the show is an adaptation of short stories written by series creator Simon Rich but I've never read them so I don't know how close they are.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

If he's at comic con promoting his work he's officially a scab.

That's an old picture.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gripweed posted:

Is that the one where every season they change the premise Blackadder style, or something else? If the former you may have heard of it as the show where Buscemi was an erratic God with well-meaning assistants, or the one in midieval times.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Codependent Poster posted:

That's an old picture.

Using a picture like that seems a dangerous thing to do in the current time.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

CapnAndy posted:

Not a hint, no.

They're also clearly building to Young Avengers without taking the opportunity to bring back Billy and Tommy in Multiverse of Madness, so... who knows.

Given the speed they're releasing stuff now, especially with the strike, that's fine. These people are all gonna be older than the originals Avengers were by the time they actually get around to a Young Avengers movie.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm trying not to be hyperbolic but it feels like the MCU as a system has hit a tipping point, and while it's not over in the sense that Disney isn't gonna throw the whole thing out, I do feel like the grand ambitions from a production stnadpoint have been murdered by a combination of underachieving movies, underappreciated TV, and then semi-external factors like Majors allegations, the tumult of the streaming market, and the labor situation in Hollywood

Again, not to say that they're going to whole rear end stop making Marvel stuff, but I'll be kinda surprised if we actually get second seasons of any of the TV shows (apart from Loki), or Young Avengers, or even a proper build-up and blowoff with Kang.

The one currently nebulous thing I fully expect to happen is the X-Men, because that can be used almost as a soft reboot; but even that I don't see happening soon, and the more time that passes the more crazier poo poo that can come out of left field to take it off the board

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

glitchwraith posted:

I don't think it's unfair to expect serialized media to be both entertaining episode by episode and as a whole.
I don’t either. I specifically said the show is released in episodes so it’s of course fair to judge it that way. I just personally don’t enjoy that experience. I prefer to lose myself in something and I don’t want to sit around theory crafting and nitpicking it. That’s not a value judgment, it’s just the way I prefer to engage. All that stuff kills tv shows for me, especially short run serials like Secret Invasion.

Shageletic posted:

Lol this is just having taste enough to decide if the media you are consuming is enjoyable or not. Or you can just enjoy chugging the content hose or whatever.

If I don’t like something I stop watching it. I don’t need to discuss it online to make that decision no matter how much you wanna ungenerously mock me as just some sheep because I either liked something you didn’t or said I didn’t enjoy over analysis of each part.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 1, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gripweed posted:

This is really disappointing. Amell always seemed like a cool guy, but this is like, the test. Everyone is lined up to fight to keep acting a thing that exists and people can make a living doing. Even if you've got some disagreements about tactics, you still have a duty to keep that poo poo behind closed doors and present a unified front in public.

Despite being Canadian, he's an LA Kings fan.

That might not mean much to you Americans, but to Canadians it was a sign.

Codependent Poster posted:

That's an old picture.

It is, but he was at Galaxycon Raleigh this weekend. I know a lot of the people behind the scenes who run that con though and they put in a lot of work to make sure everything followed strike rules.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

Despite being Canadian, he's an LA Kings fan.

That might not mean much to you Americans, but to Canadians it was a sign.

It is, but he was at Galaxycon Raleigh this weekend. I know a lot of the people behind the scenes who run that con though and they put in a lot of work to make sure everything followed strike rules.

I checked his wiki to see his age and where he grew up, thought maybe it would suggest that he was a Gretzky fan and that got him into the Kings but being from Toronto and being 42 I would think he'd actually hate the Kings instead.

Anyway, check out his Occupation, lol:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Gripweed posted:

Miracle Workers is a trip. The name makes no sense, unless you consider it a meta joke about it being a miracle that the show keeps working. Third season got a little zany towards the end, but the fourth is back on track and the cast is great the entire time.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I don’t either. I specifically said the show is released in episodes so it’s of course fair to judge it that way. I just personally don’t enjoy that experience. I prefer to lose myself in something and I don’t want to sit around theory crafting and nitpicking it. That’s not a value judgment, it’s just the way I prefer to engage. All that stuff kills tv shows for me, especially short run serials like Secret Invasion.

I agree not every show needs to be a puzzle box to be solved episode to episode. That kind of experience can be fun, but expecting it out of every show can lead to some really bizarre criticism based more on the person's expectations and lack of media literacy than on what's actually on screen. Secret Invasion could have certainly been that kind of mystery, but I don't think it needed to be to become a critical success. My issue with the show is that, even taking it as it is, it's still boring. It picked up towards the end, but it just lacked anything beyond "It's MCU, might as well watch it" to get me to that point. I'm glad binging it made it a better experience for you, but I suspect it wouldn't have helped my enjoyment much. In fact, I probably would have still only watched an episode a day due to it losing my attention.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

glitchwraith posted:

I agree not every show needs to be a puzzle box to be solved episode to episode. That kind of experience can be fun, but expecting it out of every show can lead to some really bizarre criticism based more on the person's expectations and lack of media literacy than on what's actually on screen. Secret Invasion could have certainly been that kind of mystery, but I don't think it needed to be to become a critical success. My issue with the show is that, even taking it as it is, it's still boring. It picked up towards the end, but it just lacked anything beyond "It's MCU, might as well watch it" to get me to that point. I'm glad binging it made it a better experience for you, but I suspect it wouldn't have helped my enjoyment much. In fact, I probably would have still only watched an episode a day due to it losing my attention.

I think the whole thing that led to this was I said that I could absolutely see how the pacing and story holes would bother people week to week, especially in the middle with those shorter episodes. But I do think that actually benefited the binge I did because that middle part moves much quicker with the short run times. But yeah, if you're not enjoying the material you're not enjoying the material. I wasn't begrudging anyone's take on the show. There's some stuff I've seen that feels like hyperbole but that doesn't seem to generally be here. The criticisms I've seen seem pretty fair and reasonable. I just personally enjoyed the 3-4 hours I spent with it one afternoon.

And yeah the other part is I just personally don't enjoy the whole "puzzle box" episode to episode thing. I get lots of people do and that's fair. Nothing wrong with it at least in theory. But I also don't like to guess who the killer is when I'm watching a murder mystery. I'm just not interested in figuring things out. I rather just take the ride. So to that end binges tend to be preferred method of watching a show like this since it doesn't give me all that time to either over analyze it or lose interest.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Lobok posted:

I checked his wiki to see his age and where he grew up, thought maybe it would suggest that he was a Gretzky fan and that got him into the Kings but being from Toronto and being 42 I would think he'd actually hate the Kings instead.

Anyway, check out his Occupation, lol:

He has put out a long statement "clarifying" his comments:

quote:

Understandably, there has been a lot of reaction to the comments I made this weekend about our strike. To ensure there is no misunderstanding about my thoughts and intentions I’m providing what I actually said and clarity/context to ensure my feelings aren’t unintentionally misinterpreted. We all know soundbites can be taken out of context and I have too much respect for my fellow union members to not clarify the record.

What I actually said:

1 "I support my union, I do, and I stand with them."

This doesn’t need much clarity: My support is unconditional and I stand with them.

What I actually said:

2 "I do not support striking, I don’t.”

What this means in full context: I understand fundamentally why we’re here. My off the cuff use of the word “support” is clearly contradictory to my true feelings and my emphatic statement that I stand with my union. Of course I don’t like striking. Nobody does. But we have to do what we have to do.

What I said

3 “I think that it is a reductive negotiating tactic and I find the entire thing incredibly frustrating.”

In full context: I’m an actor and I was speaking extemporaneously for over an hour. I emote, but I certainly don’t think these issues are simple. Our leadership has an incredibly complicated job and I am grateful for all that they do. Despite some of my terrible early acting work, I assure you, I’m not a robot. From an intellectual perspective, I understand why we are striking, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t emotionally frustrating on many levels for all involved.

4. I think that thinking as it pertains to shows like the show that I am on that that premiered last night, I think it is myopic.

“What I meant: Nothing about the strike is funny but if I may self deprecate for a moment. I have no clue what I was trying to say here and who says, ‘I think that thinking…?’ Perhaps it was an inarticulate shoutout to our crew and cast, who mean the world to me. I’m simply sad that we don’t have a chance to celebrate a show that all of us figuratively and I literally, broke my back for.”

As I said from the jump, I want to ensure that my thoughts and intentions are not misconstrued. This situation reminds of the proverb, ‘the road to hell is paved with good intentions,’ which apparently, after reading a limited amount of the commentary, is a place many of you would like me to visit. However, at least for the foreseeable future, I choose to stand with my union. When you see me on a picket line please don’t whip any hard fruit.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
And I guess he again changed his mind

https://twitter.com/sagesurge/status/1686461609462444032?t=cqAK4xIJ15vyh2ROFH5Smw&s=19

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Let that twat fade into obscurity where he belongs.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
He's really taking his role on HEELS too literally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Like somebody in TV IV said, just turn in your card now dude.