Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

MasterBuilder posted:

As dumb as it is I prefer real cards up to a point. And that point is about 10 bucks. Except for basic lands. Maybe for full art ones but basic bitch lands, no dice.

No judgment from me on that, i was just making a shitpost. I am a big fan of proxies, because the prof won me over with his argument that high secondary-market prices help drive high prices on new product. But I have no problem with someone's preference, especially if they aren't attempting to codify it in game rules. I would also rather have real cards, I'm just priced out of some stuff (and I cannot get excited about spending money on the least-exciting card type)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Of the counterfeit makers printed all cards instead of just the expensive ones I'd get full decks from them because the card quality feels consistently higher than Wizards stock. Even the foils are flat.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Yeah I got an extended foil Jeweled Lotus from a counterfeiter and you can tell it’s obviously fake because it’s not absolute dogshit quality foiling with a pringles curl.

Commander Legends was truly a new low point in quality.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lmfao

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ego Trip posted:

His argument is "gently caress you, got mine"

Joke’s on him, $200 to a guy in China and I’ve got mine too

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

TheKingofSprings posted:

Joke’s on him, $200 to a guy in China and I’ve got mine too

But do you have the years of experience to wield the power you covet?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I guess people found the right card to pair with that izzet doctor.

card's spiking at the moment.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I've seen a few french guys vociferously make the :rant: "proxies mean you're cheating your opponent" argument and drat is it nice to tell them to shut the hell up and it's better to play the game than not.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

My dream is for Magic to become an LCG (do these still exist?) and you can stay completely up to date with the meta making a reasonable quarterly/monthly purchase. It's a dream cause u have to be asleep to believe it

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

My dream is for Magic to become an LCG (do these still exist?) and you can stay completely up to date with the meta making a reasonable quarterly/monthly purchase. It's a dream cause u have to be asleep to believe it

Isn't this basically what Arena is? Not literally of course, but seeing as the "cost" of any given card is equal to every other card of that rarity in the app, you can pretty easily calculate the "subscription" cost to get exactly what you're wanting.

Notwithstanding issues of what formats are on Arena, not being social, etc.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They should sell us 100 digicards that can display any card, any printing. Just costs a dime to switch the cards. The downside is it gets filled with dimes eventually so you have to buy new ones.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Strong Sauce posted:

So, to go off with this and river song, you need either two of them, or a way to give it haste, plus 6 mana, plus the city's blessing, plus some way to generate value that will actually win the game. I guess the spike makes sense for edh. Edh players love hoops to jump through.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://twitter.com/Aspiringspike/status/1686068192555204608?s=20

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dr. Stab posted:

So, to go off with this and river song, you need either two of them, or a way to give it haste, plus 6 mana, plus the city's blessing, plus some way to generate value that will actually win the game. I guess the spike makes sense for edh. Edh players love hoops to jump through.

To be fair, the blessing and eventual value generation are trivial requirements. River + Navigator + 2 mana rocks + 6 lands gets you city's blessing. And infinite turns gives you all the land drops you need to get a generic beater and interaction for the win.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

AlternateNu posted:

To be fair, the blessing and eventual value generation are trivial requirements. River + Navigator + 2 mana rocks + 6 lands gets you city's blessing. And infinite turns gives you all the land drops you need to get a generic beater and interaction for the win.

Red can get to city's blessing quick with treasure tokens, and also enables haste. It is a bit convoluted, but doesn't seem all that hard to pull off in Izzet.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

AlternateNu posted:

But consider doing this with grenzo instead of river. You don't need to already have the land + wincon in hand, since you still draw non-timestream navigator cards, and you don't need the extra navigator or a haste source, since you can just bury and reflip the navigator on the same turn. And that's still to much work for anyone to have tried it in legacy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

But consider doing this with grenzo instead of river. You don't need to already have the land + wincon in hand, since you still draw non-timestream navigator cards, and you don't need the extra navigator or a haste source, since you can just bury and reflip the navigator on the same turn. And that's still to much work for anyone to have tried it in legacy.

Mana rocks basically means it’s a commander thing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
post or acreenshot the whole thing because Twitter doesn't allow reading replies if you're not logged in now.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

post or acreenshot the whole thing because Twitter doesn't allow reading replies if you're not logged in now.

Can we still use imgur to post screenshots and gifs or do we have an alternative?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but I don’t really get making fun of this guy for not liking proxies and losing. I’m incredibly pro-proxy and lose all the time. I didn’t/can’t dive into the Twitter thread tho so maybe he’s a shithead idk.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/31/23813935/ebay-tcgplayer-union-labor-unfair-complaint-cwa here's an article about tcgplayer and the union. Long story short, management playing dirty.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

fadam posted:

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but I don’t really get making fun of this guy for not liking proxies and losing. I’m incredibly pro-proxy and lose all the time. I didn’t/can’t dive into the Twitter thread tho so maybe he’s a shithead idk.

He played an event where proxies were handed out by the organiser to encourage more people to play. The guy extremely salty about proxies went 1-2, and the implication is that he doesn't want people to play proxies because he probably lost to people playing proxy heavy decks

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Captain Invictus posted:

posting screenshots isn't fair to the people who invested the time to log in and view the original post

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Captain Invictus posted:

Jiro posted:

Can we still use imgur to post screenshots and gifs or do we have an alternative?

easiest thing is to right-click over the image, copy the image from twitter. that way people can see the image. the bad thing about this is when twitter inevitably "shuts down". whether that's tomorrow or 5-years down the line who knows.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Strong Sauce posted:

What a clunky combo. Feels like there's got to be something better for pairing with River Song.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ilmucche posted:

He played an event where proxies were handed out by the organiser to encourage more people to play. The guy extremely salty about proxies went 1-2, and the implication is that he doesn't want people to play proxies because he probably lost to people playing proxy heavy decks

Oh lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

To be clear though I think the BCDL was this weekend and he made the tweets last week before it

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Captain Invictus posted:

neaden posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/31/23813935/ebay-tcgplayer-union-labor-unfair-complaint-cwa here's an article about tcgplayer and the union. Long story short, management playing dirty.

To sum up, TCGplayer is purposefully stalling, hoping to bankrupt the effort, and hired the same lawyers that Starbucks hired to break their unionizing attempts.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Framboise posted:

What a clunky combo. Feels like there's got to be something better for pairing with River Song.

single cards that can combo off directly with a commander aren't super common, so it's absolutely worth a slot in the 99, just not sure it's going to be the play with River Song

like, even putting the need to get the city's blessing aside (admittedly not hard when you need 6+ mana and your commander in play) it's usually effectively a 3 card combo (albeit with your commander) b/c without haste there's basically no way you're getting through a full turn cycle to initiate the loop in the first place

something like combining Soldevi Digger and any of the extra turn cards that don't remove themselves (Time Warp, Capture of Jingzhou, etc.) is probably better on average b/c the slight increase in mana usage is paired with reduced vulnerability, greater utility outside the combo, greater possibility for surprise, etc.

but its still a single card that generally must be answered or it'll win the game in conjunction with your commander, and that's significant

e:

AlternateNu posted:

the issue is that the loop cannibalizes your draw steps, so without something else at work you're stuck with the resources you had at the beginning of the loop and can't use any of those infinite land drops - you don't necessarily have the sort of winning inevitability many infinite turn loops do or the near inevitability of something like Tivit + Time Sieve

it may not matter much in practice though so long as you're not trying to turbo it out, there are definitely plenty of ways to generate value each cycle, and any sufficiently evasive threat or sufficiently large River Song at the start of the loop makes it a win - but you do need to take those additional things into account

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 31, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I bought a soldevi digger because the art is sweet

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Soldevi Digger + River Song also lets you loop fetches every turn

and strip mine :getin:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've never had an opponent get an extra turn before. I haven't taken one either. I need Forrest McNeil to give me a review on taking an extra turn.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I wish you could time travel to early 2019 and play against no win con nexus control and see how miserable it could be

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Instead of a haste source, just having a way to draw extra cards allows you to activate, draw, re-play on one turn, then do that infinitely (while you keep making land drops and hitting your regular draw step to advance your game plan).

Admittedly you'd probably want a haste source on the first turn you're doing this, because it's not going to live a turn otherwise. But that can be a one-off thing.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Putting fat baby(Anger) in the graveyard is always an option for a haste enabler

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If you play pioneer and like winning but also having a bit of fun, play this.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/HKB8LdKNmEqysc8boHh99Q

Game 1 is aggressive aggro stuff. The sideboard is to turn it into a combo deck engine (just sideobard out the equipment gameplan.

Against the slow decks you just out aggro them the old fashion way. Against decks decent at beating your aggro strategy, you go all combo strat and while making all their enchantment/artifact hate dead cards in the process.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Gobhammer looks fun as gently caress

Hammertime is the only deck in pioneer that's actually fun to play and that seems like a sick variant

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Silhouette posted:

Gobhammer looks fun as gently caress

Hammertime is the only deck in pioneer that's actually fun to play and that seems like a sick variant

Its more resilient than hammer time and infinitely more flavorful.

There is a lot of value in your opponent having no loving clue what you are doing as well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
An adventure spell that turns into a land? Invalid, broken, or bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Adventure allows you to "cast" the creature side once it's exiled (not "play" it), so essentially you'll just have created a MDFC card with a stupidly tiny text box.

Of course while it doesn't work under the current rules, it'd be a pretty trivial fix if Wizards decided that they did want to do an adventure land at some point.