Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Subliminal (nanofoamer company) just announced a new magnetic, retractable WDT tool, which can be added via backerkit survey when they arrive.

Comes with a stand and a magnet mount. $29, and the kickstarter says 25% through backer kit but I dunno if that’s the backer price or the retail. Really interested because that magnet mount is slick as poo poo.

https://subminimal.com/products/flick

Speaking of these WDT tools, I've seen a *lot* more Duomo-the-eighth knockoffs lately. Are any of these good? I'm always down to take human error out of the process. Some of them look like they give very good results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

VelociBacon posted:

Speaking of these WDT tools, I've seen a *lot* more Duomo-the-eighth knockoffs lately. Are any of these good? I'm always down to take human error out of the process. Some of them look like they give very good results.

I bought the Normcore since it appeared to have the thinnest needles of all the knock offs. I don't have a 58mm at home but did some side by sides at the café where I experiment.

At least for us, triangle test vs simple leveler tool had no difference for two rounds each of two beans. Might be because their grinder has naturally fewer clumps than a home grinder though...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

I bought the Normcore since it appeared to have the thinnest needles of all the knock offs. I don't have a 58mm at home but did some side by sides at the café where I experiment.

At least for us, triangle test vs simple leveler tool had no difference for two rounds each of two beans. Might be because their grinder has naturally fewer clumps than a home grinder though...

Interesting, thanks.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is this better than another $350 automatic coffee maker?

Eh no, I have a Technivorm at home that I would much rather buy again than the Chemex thing.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.
I see Amazon is now selling the updated Moccamaster KBT carafes:
https://a.co/d/im9ezZ3

I bought a used KBT last July and god knows how old it is (I think it might be older than me, judging by the condition of the plastic), but has been working great. I've kept up with the maintenance and it's given me the best drip coffee I've ever had during the time I've owned it.

I've been replacing worn out parts since the time I've had it, swapping out the outlet arm, the basket lid, etc, but one thing I haven't replaced is the carafe. The one I have now is quite old, and no matter what I've tried, I can't get the stains inside of it out, not to mention that the lids are well worn.
On top of that, I've read that the newer carafe is better at retaining heat better than the older model.

I usually make half a tank full, running a half a tank of water beforehand to rinse my filter out and to warm up the tank, but I've noticed that it will still be too cold after about four hours and with the lid on (the one that completely seals it).

Do any folks here think it would be worth the upgrade?
I bought this unit for $100, and have put only $20-ish worth towards replacing parts.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ROJO posted:

Eh no, I have a Technivorm at home that I would much rather buy again than the Chemex thing.

and you can probably fit a chemex in the technivorm too

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bredfrown posted:

I see Amazon is now selling the updated Moccamaster KBT carafes:
https://a.co/d/im9ezZ3

I bought a used KBT last July and god knows how old it is (I think it might be older than me, judging by the condition of the plastic), but has been working great. I've kept up with the maintenance and it's given me the best drip coffee I've ever had during the time I've owned it.

I've been replacing worn out parts since the time I've had it, swapping out the outlet arm, the basket lid, etc, but one thing I haven't replaced is the carafe. The one I have now is quite old, and no matter what I've tried, I can't get the stains inside of it out, not to mention that the lids are well worn.
On top of that, I've read that the newer carafe is better at retaining heat better than the older model.

I usually make half a tank full, running a half a tank of water beforehand to rinse my filter out and to warm up the tank, but I've noticed that it will still be too cold after about four hours and with the lid on (the one that completely seals it).

Do any folks here think it would be worth the upgrade?
I bought this unit for $100, and have put only $20-ish worth towards replacing parts.

Are there any hotspots on the outside of the carafe? If so, then it’s likely worth replacing. If not, if you haven’t I’d try replacing any gaskets/rubber bits if you can. I find it pretty unlikely the actual insulation method has failed.

Honestly, if you want it at ideal temp for that long, an ember mug might be a more solid investment.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.

Are there any hotspots on the outside of the carafe? If so, then it’s likely worth replacing. If not, if you haven’t I’d try replacing any gaskets/rubber bits if you can. I find it pretty unlikely the actual insulation method has failed.

Honestly, if you want it at ideal temp for that long, an ember mug might be a more solid investment.

No hotspots that I can find, but I will check it more tonight once I make another cup! :)
I'll check gaskets as well.

I do however have (and absolutely love!) an ember mug – I have the 10oz one and it's my best friend.
One issue I ran into is that the coffee in the carafe would get just cold enough to trick the ember into thinking it's empty, causing it not to heat.

I think an issue I'm having could be my own fault - I've done some more reading and they do recommend making a full pot (I'm assuming to decrease the volume of air) and that should provide better heat longevity, but I have yet to try this

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bredfrown posted:

No hotspots that I can find, but I will check it more tonight once I make another cup! :)
I'll check gaskets as well.

I do however have (and absolutely love!) an ember mug – I have the 10oz one and it's my best friend.
One issue I ran into is that the coffee in the carafe would get just cold enough to trick the ember into thinking it's empty, causing it not to heat.

I think an issue I'm having could be my own fault - I've done some more reading and they do recommend making a full pot (I'm assuming to decrease the volume of air) and that should provide better heat longevity, but I have yet to try this

You can also manually turn the mug on via the bottom button or the app. I often have this issue cause I’ll use it to keep my espresso hot and the volume is too low.

You could also fill the carafe with boiling water then dump it just prior to brew.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ROJO posted:

Are the technivorm still the go to?

Also, I only need a net 22ish Oz of coffee in total, one time in the morning. So continued warming or big capacity is a waste.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are the technivorm still the go to?

Also, I only need a net 22ish Oz of coffee in total, one time in the morning. So continued warming or big capacity is a waste.

The Select would be ideal then, it‘s optimised to brew half a tank with a switch, about 600 ml. It‘s with a glass carafe though.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Ive tried coffee with spice mixes like cinnamon, cardamon, and so forth. It's good. What about coffee with chili, to give it some bite? Is that any good? Maybe with some milk in there to control the sting?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Ive tried coffee with spice mixes like cinnamon, cardamon, and so forth. It's good. What about coffee with chili, to give it some bite? Is that any good? Maybe with some milk in there to control the sting?

The coffee goon in SA mart had some beans that were processed with crushed chilis. They were odd as gently caress but also quite good.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've made myself coconut milk lattes a couple times lately and man is that poo poo good. With a darker roast, it gets a toasted coconut flake note to it.

I could just drink straight full fat coconut milk from the can though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I've made myself coconut milk lattes a couple times lately and man is that poo poo good. With a darker roast, it gets a toasted coconut flake note to it.

I could just drink straight full fat coconut milk from the can though.

Who wouldn't?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Right? I practically clean the can with my tongue every time I make curry.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Call me

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I had my favourite flavoured coffee preparation a couple of days ago - affogato with Frangelico. I love drinking what's left at the end.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Lord Stimperor posted:

Black pepper!

I did a few experiments with Melita pour-overs and coarsely ground black peppercorn and it added some interesting elements.

I managed to snag a (very) used '89 Mazzer Super Jolly for 75 bucks. Tore it down, cleaned it up a bit and I just got confirmation that my mod has shipped.

Next week should be an arts/crafts week :3:

Time to check out flat burrs.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
YOU WIN, COFFEE PEOPLE! This arrived yesterday along with a grinder. It replaces my $40 hamilton beach I got off amazon that makes bad coffee with pre-ground starbucks beans.

I picked up a "capresso infinity plus" and when it arrived it's much bigger than I recall the capresso at work being (from... 6 years ago.) It looked different in the picture but I figured 10 years of cosmetic updates or whatever just meant this was the new model. Is there something a little more compact that gets the job done? I'm not grinding artisinal beans (yet) and I've seen how deep the rabbit hole goes for that with people having several hundred dollar scales, thousand+++ dollar grinders, and similarly priced home espresso machines.

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/capresso-infinity-plus-coffee-grinder

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

YOU WIN, COFFEE PEOPLE! This arrived yesterday along with a grinder. It replaces my $40 hamilton beach I got off amazon that makes bad coffee with pre-ground starbucks beans.

I picked up a "capresso infinity plus" and when it arrived it's much bigger than I recall the capresso at work being (from... 6 years ago.) It looked different in the picture but I figured 10 years of cosmetic updates or whatever just meant this was the new model. Is there something a little more compact that gets the job done? I'm not grinding artisinal beans (yet) and I've seen how deep the rabbit hole goes for that with people having several hundred dollar scales, thousand+++ dollar grinders, and similarly priced home espresso machines.

https://www.option-o.com/shop/lagom-mini

???

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Let me know how you like it, I've been doing pourover and that's been great.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I got a bottomless portafilter and it has validated my puck prep. It's also so satisfying to watch.

Pucks are always soupy though - even though the product is consistent and balanced.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I got a bottomless portafilter and it has validated my puck prep. It's also so satisfying to watch.

Pucks are always soupy though - even though the product is consistent and balanced.

Puck shouldn't be any different with a bottomless should it? I found using a puck screen made my pucks a thousand times more compacted and easy to knock out btw.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

In my opinion, a soupy puck is generally more a cosmetic/cleanup concern and not necessarily a problem. My Gaggia leaves somewhat soupy pucks pretty regularly, but the output is good.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bandire posted:

Goons With Spoons > Coffee: In my opinion, a soupy puck is generally more a cosmetic/cleanup concern and not necessarily a problem. My Gaggia leaves somewhat soupy pucks pretty regularly, but the output is good.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bandire posted:

Goons With Spoons > Coffee: soupy pucks regularly

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
lol that's like double the character limit unfortunately (edit: uh that was about Ok Comboomer's post up there)

Anyway I ended up just picking up a completely regular Aeropress and have switched all my coffee making to it from my ancient Delonghi EC5, and I am happy about it. I'm even still using the same grind setting, though maybe I shouldn't be :shrug:. I think if I dive back in to espresso it's gonna be with a Flair or something, do they ever go on significant sales or is the price pretty static?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

lol its just one of those things that seems like a problem, but it really isn't on its own.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bandire posted:

Goons With Spoons > Coffee: soupy pucks regularly

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Brut posted:

lol that's like double the character limit unfortunately (edit: uh that was about Ok Comboomer's post up there)

Anyway I ended up just picking up a completely regular Aeropress and have switched all my coffee making to it from my ancient Delonghi EC5, and I am happy about it. I'm even still using the same grind setting, though maybe I shouldn't be :shrug:. I think if I dive back in to espresso it's gonna be with a Flair or something, do they ever go on significant sales or is the price pretty static?

They do sales all the time. Sign up for their newsletter.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

VelociBacon posted:

Puck shouldn't be any different with a bottomless should it? I found using a puck screen made my pucks a thousand times more compacted and easy to knock out btw.

Poorly worded on my part - they've always been soupy before/after the change.

Bandire posted:

lol its just one of those things that seems like a problem, but it really isn't on its own.

This was what my googling turned up, that it's only an annoyance for knocking it out, which I don't do. I've always used a spoon and I know some here consider my backwards for that.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This was what my googling turned up, that it's only an annoyance for knocking it out, which I don't do. I've always used a spoon and I know some here consider my backwards for that.

Whatever works for you. A knockbox is a nice convenience if you have the space. That plus a quick rinse with water from the group head and it doesn't make much difference how dry the puck is.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Puck soupy so what

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I think the cause of soupy puck is having a too-big basket, maybe size down a little?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
WAP: Wet rear end Puck

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

If you’re confident in your puck prep and it’s resulting in good shots, it’s mostly down to your machine. The more expensive machines will pull some of the extra liquid out of the puck to make dropping it out easier.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

That's more than I'm hoping to spend. But it does look a little smaller. Is it quiet?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

That's more than I'm hoping to spend. But it does look a little smaller. Is it quiet?

Anything decent under that price point isn’t going to have any real focus on quiet or size reduction. Under this price point all the grinder companies are already making concessions to grind quality. Size/volume costs money to mitigate.

If quiet is a major concern, a hand grinder might be a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Anything decent under that price point isn’t going to have any real focus on quiet or size reduction. Under this price point all the grinder companies are already making concessions to grind quality. Size/volume costs money to mitigate.

If quiet is a major concern, a hand grinder might be a good idea.

Yeah I am trying to understand what I'm getting for my extra $250. I would value quiet over grind quality dollar for dollar, but I already don't like grinding my own coffee so I feel like a manual grinder will make me want to scream. How long would it take to grind for 14-16oz of brewed coffee on a manual one? (Two normal human mugs, 5-6 "cups" coffee.)

I also need to figure out what to exchange this thing for at Seattle Coffee Gear. I'm not a grind snob in general, we used the hell out of one of a capresso at my old job to make espresso and it worked fine. It will make drip coffee grinds just fine.