Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
yeah the wrong guy is still a funny movie id say it gets a little slow with da chucklez at the 3/4ths mark but picks back up at the end

as a comedy there isnt a huge amount to say besides LOL!!! so ill just get to some cool info and spoilers now

love kevin mcdonalds cameo he was the kids in the hall member that dave felt closest to creatively and even after he left for news radio and the kith felt betrayed that he wasnt interested in brain candy it shows how close those two were considering

a bit of a shame though because i saw a lot of opportunity for other cast members to show up, the "gay" marine brother who owns the room dave sleeps in at the bankers house is straight up a character from brain candy that scott thompson played

and there was another character that i cant remember but i tried to note it in my mind that wouldve been a great bruce mcculloch vehicle sorry i lost it though lol

of course as the character actor mark mckinney couldve slotted in anywhere but there was drama rip

uhhh but about the movie its just really funny gotta love a guy holding a dead rat he snapped the neck of maniacally laughing in the woods after punching a dog in the face
theres just a lot of really retarded/sarcastic/deadpan humor that dave is well known for

in fact one of his kith sketches is used at the end he should be lucky he wasnt stabbed by a knife himself when he kept denying epiphany was the word he was looking for

still a good movie with a lot of coincidence stringing the plot together but because its a comedy it works and sets up a lot of good jokes
8/10

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol house was a wild rear end ride. 3/5 glad i watched it but too weird to be scary

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
weird is better than scary

copy
Jul 26, 2007

that can be true. it felt like a wes anderson movie which was interesting

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The wrong guy was another solid pick. Enjoyed it for the most part but some of the cop stuff and the farm stuff make the pacing feel off.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Malcolm was a little odd. I enjoyed quite a few of scenes of the trio and their dialogue could be funny at times. The soundtrack was great and added a lot to the whimsical atmosphere (I especially enjoyed hearing "Music for a Found Harmonium" at the beginning). The gadgets were clever; they always lended themselves well to the gags. I found the plot to be thin, and though the characters were fun, there wasn't much to them. Some scenes that were meant to be tense were resolved almost instantly or dropped (like Frank's misunderstanding that one night and what happened to Judith at the bar). Malcolm also just agreed very abruptly to be a part of their plans. I think a bit more development of the characters might have helped. It's not the main focus of the movie by any means, but still.

I'm glad we got some Macedonian representation in as well.

ddinkins fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 1, 2023

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

this. weird + scary though...

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
the wrong guy has a funny idea and some funny gags in it. idk, i wasnt lmaoing a lot but it was a good time. the first half hour or so was the best part.

2/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The wrong guy has lots of funny little bits strewn throughout but no real long term payoffs aside from the canned ham. Good little flick to watch in an animal hospital waiting room late at night which is where i first saw this. 6.5/10

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

the long-term payoff is Jennifer Tilly being extremely attractive

copy
Jul 26, 2007

liking house more as I ruminate on it. it feels like a lot of stuff was inspired by it and the capriciousness of the ghost is played in a really interesting way.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

copy posted:

liking house more as I ruminate on it. it feels like a lot of stuff was inspired by it and the capriciousness of the ghost is played in a really interesting way.

Yeah the more it marinates in my head the more i appreciate it

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'm really pleased that so many people seem to have enjoyed House. (Or that the people who hated it didn't post.) It's one of my favorite movies ever so I'm glad I could introduce some imps to it. Blockbuster Movie Club ftw

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I thought House was going to be a so bad it's good movie, but I think it's just really good on it's own merits. All the elements of the movie work really well despite how primitive the special effects are and despite the fact that most of the cast had no acting experience. It has a lot of the same vibes as Suspiria which is one of my favorite horror movies. 5/5

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

House is a so good it's good movie

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i wanna see house but it never turns into a horror movie, just the intro for the entire run time

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
whew just wrapp[ed up all five seasons. he sure is a curmudgeon! XD

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

I got the tude now posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

House was loving insane lol. 90 minute fever dream

So many of the transitions and dissolves were so cool, especially the way things would occasionally bleed into each other like the guy from the ramen shop appearing out of nowhere before his scene starts. And tons of creative effects, pretty much constantly.

I really liked the obvious matte backdrops and stuff like the shot on the train where the view through the window becomes a cartoony montage of the areas they're driving through, and the train itself is invisible. With train sounds still audible lol. Aunt dancing with the skeleton was loving rad. Kung fu was the best character by a mile, her theme song and the sudden zooms & cuts whenever she started fighting cracked me up.

Particular highlight: the watermelon guy exploding when Togo says he prefers bananas

Somehow all the random poo poo felt more intentional than I think it usually would, maybe because it was clear that so much effort and care was put into everything. Really enjoyed it, 4/5 vhs tapes

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
I've seen House numerous times but it's not really my thing after this rewatch. Still a fun movie tho

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Who stores watermelon in a well anyway

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I appreciate how much mileage they got out of the one guy saying HAUSU ominously

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

jesus christ, hausu is terrible lmfao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Who stores watermelon in a well anyway

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

1 hour into the movie and they start to consider the house may be haunted

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

trying to jack off posted:

jesus christ, hausu is terrible lmfao

lmao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i swear to god every post in this thread feels like a direct troll on me. theres way too much poo poo on screen during even the most mundane scenes, and when kills start happening the editing is so batshit it feels like a youtube poop. hell, the first 30 minutes barely feels like a movie at all with how disjointed everything is. people say this rules but it doesnt, it loving sucks. this is the poo poo you sit down with your friends and laugh at while drinking beers and barely paying attention and should not be watched in its entirety with full attention at all

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

I'm really pleased that so many people seem to have enjoyed House. (Or that the people who hated it didn't post.) It's one of my favorite movies ever so I'm glad I could introduce some imps to it. Blockbuster Movie Club ftw

gently caress you

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

gently caress you

lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmao

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I guess I don't really have a strong opinion on The Wrong Guy
3/5

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The wrong guy was great, really miss when comedies just went machine-gun spraying with visual gags, not on the level of the Zucker Brothers classics but it still got me lmaoing most of the time. 7.5/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

i swear to god every post in this thread feels like a direct troll on me. theres way too much poo poo on screen during even the most mundane scenes, and when kills start happening the editing is so batshit it feels like a youtube poop. hell, the first 30 minutes barely feels like a movie at all with how disjointed everything is. people say this rules but it doesnt, it loving sucks. this is the poo poo you sit down with your friends and laugh at while drinking beers and barely paying attention and should not be watched in its entirety with full attention at all

its a very silly movie and we revere it as such