Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

oldpainless posted:

I would rather accuse 100 people of animal abuse and be wrong 100 times than to not accuse 1 time and be wrong that once

A pleasure to have instagram royalty here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I wonder what these people would be doing if they didn't waste so much energy being sanctimonious on the internet.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Read After Burning posted:

Anyway, have whatever this is...y'all are lucky I'm not posting the workout video he has, saying he's "training for his debate with Biden".
https://twitter.com/RobertKennedyJr/status/1682773713551228928#m

Cats and dogs apparently press their heads against the wall as a symptom when something is bugging them head/brain-wise, although sometimes it's just them being weird little guys and nothing more?

As an owner of the superior pet (rabbits :colbert:), I'm not totally certain though.

I'm a dog owner and I've never heard of that but sure, but I'm confused how a) the dog having a headache is abusive and b) how you're supposed to do anything about it

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I'm a dog owner and I've never heard of that but sure, but I'm confused how a) the dog having a headache is abusive and b) how you're supposed to do anything about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_pressing

It's actually a sign of something worse, but yeah. Not driving your pet to the vet the second you see them do that isn't exactly abuse in my book. I've had cats all my life and never even heard of this. My cats are absolute dipshits and staring at a wall wouldn't stand out to me at all.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tony Phillips posted:

It's actually a sign of something worse, but yeah. Not driving your pet to the vet the second you see them do that isn't exactly abuse in my book. I've had cats all my life and never even heard of this. My cats are absolute dipshits and staring at a wall wouldn't stand out to me at all.

Seriously, my cats stare at the wall when they see something on the other side.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

Yeesh that's a depressing read. Thankfully all my dog does re: walls is try to chew on them because she's a loving idiot

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AceOfFlames posted:

They are my sibling. I have to engage with them because they are among the few people I know in this town where I don't speak the language. They are one of the few people who care if I live or die and no one wants to expand their social circle at this age with a foreigner in this part of the world.
"What would you say if the head of Whole Foods made these decisions? Would you blame their advisers, or would you blame the CEO?"

But, as often commented in this thread, you can't reason somebody out of ideas that they weren't reasoned into.

I am happy to say that the comments don't agree with him.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Read After Burning posted:

Cats and dogs apparently press their heads against the wall as a symptom when something is bugging them head/brain-wise, although sometimes it's just them being weird little guys and nothing more?

As an owner of the superior pet (rabbits :colbert:), I'm not totally certain though.

Can confirm, head-pressing is something that should be concerning and needs to be checked out.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"What would you say if the head of Whole Foods made these decisions? Would you blame their advisers, or would you blame the CEO?"

But, as often commented in this thread, you can't reason somebody out of ideas that they weren't reasoned into.

I am happy to say that the comments don't agree with him.

Can't believe they let Hunter Biden on the supreme court. Really just let that slip huh?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Your cats are probably looking for mysterious creatures called greebles.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Brawnfire posted:

Mine are staring at probable mice. I know this because they regularly catch mice. :(

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
:ironicat:
https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1686001613906092032?t=O7rYmY4Tio9EdML9WbYWnw&s=19

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Dilbert Mental Health Tip #9: Kill Your Son

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1686081995330158593

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

You did a genre hurt. You did a no comfort.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The poster is complaining, I think, in inscrutable fanfiction language which I can only barely parse, that they thought that season 2 of a show made a character experience a hurtful situation and did not also give them a resolution to that pain, and this must be fixed. They have written a fanfiction on a website called "archive of our own" which fixes it, and neil gaiman should look to this for cues.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
This is the knowledge that being friends with fanfiction weirdos back in high school has bestowed on me: "hurt/comfort" is a genre where a character is in some kind of pain or distress, and another character comforts them (romantically or sexually, I guess). Think like "WOLVERINE RETURNS FROM A BATTLE WITH X-23 AND CYCLOPS TENDS TO HIS WOUNDS" or whatever.

"Hurt/no comfort" I assume is what it says on the tin...stuff just sucks poo poo for those characters, I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes that also, there is an entire genre of fanfiction which is about your favourite fictional characters doing therapy on each other. With their dicks or otherwise.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I know Gaiman kinda relies on these people but man

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also taps into a long standing and surprisingly widespread belief that all fiction is (or should be) positive escapist comfort and anything that isn't that has failed. If you're not offering comforting escapism why am I watching/reading you??
That same argument, fed through a super racist filter, is basically how you get chuds arguing that minorities shouldn't be in their films and videogames.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

It seems that we have reached a stage where art is all adaptations usually made by people with active contempt for the source material consumed by fans who believe that all art must be directed exclusively to them.

Everyone on Earth is becoming a sociopath.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Actually no what the gently caress am I talking about. Gaiman has widespread popularity. He could tell these people to fully suck his dick.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Reminds me a little of this

I can completely understand why Mitski fully quit social media and just has a manager post tour dates, media, and requests like this for her.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

It's also in no small part (because that's obviously about Good Omens S2, which just game out) something my friend and I have observed in some fandoms: that there are people who want their favs to experience no obsticles what-so-ever. Not even that they don't want their favs experiencing set-backs or things like that, but that at no point should anything stand in the way of their favs getting whatever their momentary desire is. You see it a lot in some of the, um... It's hard to describe them without sounding like a dick, so I'll just say "softboi" fandoms, like those around Bob's Burgers and Steven Universe.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Neito posted:

It's also in no small part (because that's obviously about Good Omens S2, which just game out) something my friend and I have observed in some fandoms: that there are people who want their favs to experience no obsticles what-so-ever. Not even that they don't want their favs experiencing set-backs or things like that, but that at no point should anything stand in the way of their favs getting whatever their momentary desire is. You see it a lot in some of the, um... It's hard to describe them without sounding like a dick, so I'll just say "softboi" fandoms, like those around Bob's Burgers and Steven Universe.
I've never seen Steven Universe, but despite having also never heard the term, everything I know about it and its fandom makes "softboi" sound fully believable.
Bob's Burgers, though? Bob's Burgers has a "softboi" fandom?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Vib Rib posted:

I've never seen Steven Universe, but despite having also never heard the term, everything I know about it and its fandom makes "softboi" sound fully believable.

You'd be suprised how little the tone of the actual work influences this.

The main issue isn't people wanting their escapism fluffy and light though, it's the subset of those people who become enraged they aren't getting it and try to make it everyone else's problem.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Neito posted:

But that's baked into both shows. Like from the beginning it's made very clear the Belchers struggle financially and all have issues they struggle with. I don't watch Steven Universe, but from what I've picked up it's about gay trauma aliens.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vib Rib posted:

Buddy, wait till you find out what they did with the villain in The Lorax.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Steven Universe is a well-written show that's fun and also thoughtful, and is best enjoyed without any internet connection in the deepest darkest woods. Never do any Googling about it or read anything anyone has ever written about how they feel about it and you'll do alright.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Vib Rib posted:

Bob is the soft boi in question. Because he's nice, and a father figure, and actually loves his kids, which, for like 90% of people into softboi stuff, is like crack mixed with meth mixed with your father actually telling you he loves you and accepts you. It's a very "Daddy is good, and anything that stops good is bad, therefore even the slightest inconvinience is a full-on evil.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Platystemon posted:

oepsy-poops i did a heccin ecocide uwu

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Coolness Averted posted:

But that's baked into both shows. Like from the beginning it's made very clear the Belchers struggle financially and all have issues they struggle with. I don't watch Steven Universe, but from what I've picked up it's about gay trauma aliens.

Yeah, in Steven Universe that's definitely set up from the very start. The first episode features a song that's clearly meant to be allegorical for the series about a cartoon mascot that loses his family, and the second episode is all about how Steven is struggling to connect to and process the various aspects of his mother's legacy, a theme that continues through the entire series.

Platystemon posted:

In case you somehow don't know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us5Y_Kba7To

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Actually no what the gently caress am I talking about. Gaiman has widespread popularity. He could tell these people to fully suck his dick.

Apparently, he often has and they've often obliged

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Platystemon posted:

how about two of the three most popular characters in the entire Pokemon franchise (in Japan)

they're even brothers, goddammit.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I have never watched a single episode of Steven Universe and I never will, despite goons telling me it's good, because every adult I know in actual life who enjoys Steven Universe is a loving nightmare person. Only Rick and Morty rivals it in terms of bad fan representation of a show.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

mycatscrimes posted:

You'd be suprised how little the tone of the actual work influences this.

The main issue isn't people wanting their escapism fluffy and light though, it's the subset of those people who become enraged they aren't getting it and try to make it everyone else's problem.

Pretty much this. Fandoms are what they are, I'm in a couple, but there are people who have expectations and when those aren't met they go positively feral. Then again this applies to most media and the public in general and not just fandoms so

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

Yeah, in Steven Universe that's definitely set up from the very start. The first episode features a song that's clearly meant to be allegorical for the series about a cartoon mascot that loses his family, and the second episode is all about how Steven is struggling to connect to and process the various aspects of his mother's legacy, a theme that continues through the entire series.

What happened to some corners of the Steven Universe fandom is, in it's own way, the leftist/progressive/queer version of right-wing fans of RatM getting mad that their stuff is suddenly political. And it's hard to criticize from a baseline companionate perspective because the argument ("Hey, maybe you're becoming a bit too conflict avoidant and need to step out of your comfort zone") sounds a lot like right-wing and baseline rear end in a top hat criticisms ("Get out of your safe space, you triggered lib").

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Neito posted:

What happened to some corners of the Steven Universe fandom is, in it's own way, the leftist/progressive/queer version of right-wing fans of RatM getting mad that their stuff is suddenly political. And it's hard to criticize from a baseline companionate perspective because the argument ("Hey, maybe you're becoming a bit too conflict avoidant and need to step out of your comfort zone") sounds a lot like right-wing and baseline rear end in a top hat criticisms ("Get out of your safe space, you triggered lib").

I have no context for this, so is this like, is the conflict avoidant thing a plotline in the show or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Heath posted:

I have no context for this, so is this like, is the conflict avoidant thing a plotline in the show or something?

It's going back to my original point that they don't want any conflict or obsticles in their show for the characters they like.