Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Without reading details on the deal, you only incur a taxable event when you close a position. I don't know if it's an equity for equity swap but my stupid guess is that you should buy an accountant a beer and ask them.

Usually a spin off gives you the equity at the opening price and if they're just letting you buy he equity at a discount it's not a taxable event until you sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can someone explain to a dumb person (me) why the Yellow trucking company closed at like $0.71 on Friday, but is trading at $1.76 right this very moment even though they have declared bankruptcy and that they’re going to fire all 30,000 employees? I mean, without any employees how do stock traders expect them to actually do a business?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can someone explain to a dumb person (me) why the Yellow trucking company closed at like $0.71 on Friday, but is trading at $1.76 right this very moment even though they have declared bankruptcy and that they’re going to fire all 30,000 employees? I mean, without any employees how do stock traders expect them to actually do a business?

Without doing any Googling my assumption is a combination of idiot memestonk reddit people and buying pressure from shorts closing their positions.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Agronox posted:

But it has confused at least three people so I should probably just axe that part.

Nah, you should keep it - that's a good joke. The only reason I didn't get it is because I'm dumb.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

mrmcd posted:

Without doing any Googling my assumption is a combination of idiot memestonk reddit people and buying pressure from shorts closing their positions.

Its surely this, plus last friday they had a total market cap of like $35M, so it doesnt take much buy-side demand to raise the price dramatically.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oscar Wild posted:

Without reading details on the deal, you only incur a taxable event when you close a position. I don't know if it's an equity for equity swap but my stupid guess is that you should buy an accountant a beer and ask them.

Usually a spin off gives you the equity at the opening price and if they're just letting you buy he equity at a discount it's not a taxable event until you sell.

Thank you, Oscar Wild!! I will do just that

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Boris Galerkin posted:

They may have assets, what is the book value?

Land is recorded at purchase price, my mom used to be a controller at a shipyard whose fair value assets far exceeded their market cap.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

There's this weird thing that seems to have started in the last decade or so (I can verify it happening in 2016) where stocks have sometimes been getting a bump once they declare bankruptcy. Whether it's due to hopes of coming through with recoveries to the equity, like HTZ or GGP, or just fanciful notions of hidden assets (there was a writer on Seeking Alpha convinced that the bankrupt Sears Holdings had hundreds of millions of dollars of off-balance sheet assets, for instance), sometimes these things just get bid up.

And that leads to another thing, people who actually know that the equity is worthless but buy it anyway for a quick flip in the bankruptcy bump, making it a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yellow's been through the recap grinder a few times, I doubt there's any meat left on that bone.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Think they sold most/all of their terminals awhile ago and just lease them now. I guess we could look up their actual assets, but they have so much debt i don't see how *anything* could be coming out.

Even though the sale/leaseback is supposed to be this savvy move to "unlock value" and "concentrate on core competencies" .... Pretty sure it's almost never a good sign. Speaking of which, prolly need to unload my Seagate stock. They have been selling their buildings, even the factories.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://roic.ai/company/YELL:US

yellow supposedly has a book value of negative $48/share, and tangible book value of negative $8/share

seems bad for a bankrupt company, maybe this is their way of trying to bust the union?

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

freight rates are terrible right now too. i wouldn’t want to be anywhere near a truck looking for profit right this minute.

in general trucking has no discipline since a good amount of it is independent shops and smaller corporate shops. during the pandemic when everyone was at home buying poo poo. rates were good and people were making money. What happened next is a lot of places plowed that money into new trucks and employees which they need to get rid of. a bunch of it at fire-sale prices.

yellow is kinda caught in the middle of all this with a really healthy dose of bad management to boot.

Also in a bigger picture context. oil/refined product demand is strong in the US and inventories are declining. So it seems reasonable to expect fuel costs to go up a a good amount late this summer/early fall which would further cut into any sort of margin trucking might be able to eek out at the moment.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

yummycheese posted:

freight rates are terrible right now too. i wouldn’t want to be anywhere near a truck looking for profit right this minute.

So then why are Freight trucks back ordered through next summer

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Reading that more and more laboratories are successfully replicating the room-temperature superconductor in South Korea.

If indeed true, as it seems to be, this is a loving revolution in materials.

Let's brainstorm, how do we play this? It's gonna be the next buzzword, after crypto and AI (and I think this one will significantly change our world).

I'm thinking the first one to join the bandwagon for a stock boost will be TSLA. But I don't know who would be the players manufacturing it, what do you think?

E: I might have got too excited, I saw some random posts saying it was replicated, here's the full status of replications: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/claims-of-room-temperature-and-ambient-pressure-superconductor.1106083/page-13

E2: https://twitter.com/Andercot/status/1686215574177841152?s=20

orange sky fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 1, 2023

orange sky
May 7, 2007

e: post is not edit

orange sky fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 1, 2023

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

orange sky posted:

Reading that more and more laboratories are successfully replicating the room-temperature superconductor in South Korea.

If indeed true, as it seems to be, this is a loving revolution in materials.

Let's brainstorm, how do we play this? It's gonna be the next buzzword, after crypto and AI (and I think this one will significantly change our world).

I'm thinking the first one to join the bandwagon for a stock boost will be TSLA. But I don't know who would be the players manufacturing it, what do you think?

E: I might have got too excited, I saw some random posts saying it was replicated, here's the full status of replications: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/claims-of-room-temperature-and-ambient-pressure-superconductor.1106083/page-13

E2: https://twitter.com/Andercot/status/1686215574177841152?s=20

Is it best to play the companies making it or the industries that will benefit most from it? From my basic understanding it doesn't seem that tricky to manufacture so anyone in that business wouldn't have much of a moat.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah, that's why I mentioned TSLA. I guess every single industry would benefit from this, but mostly around any sort of energy storage or transmission in the short term, probably.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
There’s a lot of lead in that chemical, so maybe lead mining companies will get a boost if this thing is legit.

Going short on things like lithium might pay off too if the downstream products are soon to become obsolete.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

amsc options are pretty expensive but thinking about buying some puts for september, assuming this is a flash in the pan and it's disproven fairly quickly.

if i'm wrong, i think society is going to benefit so much it won't hurt to lose on a gamble like that lol

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
I was looking at ASMC calls last week too when the news first broke but I told myself "no thats stupid dont go buying stuff just because it has superconductor in its name"

see thats my problem, im just too SMART for the market

Baddog
May 12, 2001
AMSC doesn't seem to be in a better position than anyone else to capitalize on this (if there is even something capitalizable here). But I do kinda like the idea of *selling* puts on them right now. Seems like the pre-hype strike is 4 though, and there is 0 premium there, until you get way out. Sep 7p for 0.4? Ehhhhh I dunno, seems like a greater than 50% chance that it crashes and burns back below 6.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently the material in question is called LK-99 named after korean researchers Lee and Kim in '99

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LK-99

It's crystalline and made from CuO25P6Pb9 none of which are rare materials. Lead right now is so cheap it's not worth recycling old car batteries.

quote:

The team claims it functions as a superconductor at ambient pressure and below 127 °C; 260 °F

Interesting stuff. What would be the lowest hanging fruit for a product like this? Do we have a thread on this topic yet? There's some good discussion over here, which links to some videos including one of a guy holding it in his hand which would imply room temp and ambient pressure

https://arstechnica.com/civis/threads/lk-99-lead-apatite-room-temperature-ambient-pressure-superconductor.1494809/

Edit: apparently you can use it in buck converters which can take a very high voltage and convert it into a lower one, which is probably pretty useful if you're a leading lithium battery manufacturer (tesla/panasonic) or leading whole house battery manufacturer (tesla/panasonic)

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 1, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Interesting stuff. What would be the lowest hanging fruit for a product like this?

it's hard to overstate how revolutionary such a material would be. basically all methods of power storage and distribution could be changed by such a technology. nearly anything electrical would be "the lowest hanging fruit". i'm pretty skeptical.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently it's made using materials you can order off the shelf, shipped ovenight from large scientific supply houses*, so I would imagine every lab on the planet researching transistors will be attempting to dope this stuff in the next couple of months. Bill of materials for 1kg of the stuff is probably under $500 usd

I'm skeptical too but we'll probably know a lot more here in a couple of months given the wide availability of the precursor materials

*Lead(II) oxide, $81/500g https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/search/1317-36-8?focus=products&page=1&perpage=30&sort=relevance&term=1317-36-8&type=product
Lead(II) sulfate, $129/500g https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/search/7446-14-2?focus=products&page=1&perpage=30&sort=relevance&term=7446-14-2&type=product

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Apparently it's made using materials you can order off the shelf, shipped ovenight from large scientific supply houses, so I would imagine every lab on the planet researching transistors will be attempting to dope this stuff in the next couple of months. Bill of materials for 1kg of the stuff is probably under $500 usd

*Lead(II) oxide, $81/500g https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/search/1317-36-8?focus=products&page=1&perpage=30&sort=relevance&term=1317-36-8&type=product
Lead(II) sulfate, $129/500g https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/search/7446-14-2?focus=products&page=1&perpage=30&sort=relevance&term=7446-14-2&type=product

yep. the recipe is easy to follow*, so attempts to replicate should come very quickly. true peer review will take a while but we should know pretty quickly whether there's something legit here or if it's bogus

*for research institutions with millions of dollars worth of equipment and loads of free labour

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nilered apparently made a superconductor back in 8/2020

Not sure how similar the process is but you can already see LK-99 comments in his three year old video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS7gyZJg5nc&t=2358s

edit: he does a cool pong brick breaker thing with it at 41:43 which is worth a look too

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 1, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it's hard to overstate how revolutionary such a material would be. basically all methods of power storage and distribution could be changed by such a technology. nearly anything electrical would be "the lowest hanging fruit". i'm pretty skeptical.

yeah, but the transition for infrastructure would have huge capital outlays in a way that reminds me of early railroad or fiber efforts. unless there is an absolutely massive public to private subsidy, it seems like at least on the utility side like one of those revolutions that end up with initial investors losing a bunch of money to provide beneficial infrastructure to non-investors

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yeah, but the transition for infrastructure would have huge capital outlays in a way that reminds me of early railroad or fiber efforts. unless there is an absolutely massive public to private subsidy, it seems like at least on the utility side like one of those revolutions that end up with initial investors losing a bunch of money to provide beneficial infrastructure to non-investors

oh absolutely. but the superiority of a material such as this over all other competitors is so vast, the only truly valid comparisons are maybe the invention of bakelite, or something like the hall-heroult+bayer process for aluminum

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Seriously, if this is as good as it seems on paper, whoever can get their hands on it in volume has just gotten the ability to outcompete anyone in almost any field that uses more than like 2kw of power. I'm skeptical that the holy grail of material science has been found, but it's an exciting prospect

My brain says to bet on the producers of the material and the patent rights holders. Mining companies seem premature, and it's hard to know who will actually be able to efficiently use the "pricey" new technology

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
on the other hand, you could ignore trying to puzzle out fundamentals and just go straight to buzzwords. quantum computing is sexy, superconducting quantum computing might just be about to get even sexier. you find someone promising ai powered by superconducting quantum computing and you can probably retire early

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

on the other hand, you could ignore trying to puzzle out fundamentals and just go straight to buzzwords. quantum computing is sexy, superconducting quantum computing might just be about to get even sexier. you find someone promising ai powered by superconducting quantum computing and you can probably retire early

So keep investing in Intel

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As much as it pains me to say this, yes Intel is probably not the worst bet you could make right now

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Can futures be bought on Schwab? This is better odds than megamillions!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Room temperature superconductor patented in the US? Needs a fluid to activate

https://www.eenewseurope.com/en/room-temperature-superconductor-sees-key-patent/

quote:

US patent 17249094 was awarded

describes a type II superconductor with a perforated carbon-based material with an activating material on at least one surface. The activating material is a non polar liquid.

The resulting type II superconducting material operates at a wide range of temperatures, from about -100° F (-73° C) to about 302° F (150° C) says Taj Quantum, although it has not been through peer review or third party lab evaluation and data on the performance is not yet available.

company was founded originally as LGC in 2018 and has contracts supporting the US Military and large businesses... encryption

Looks like this is targeted for use in quantum computers. Curious if the "activating liquid" is liquid nitrogen...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Room temperature super conductor? No, liquid nitrogen needed

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Nonpolar liquid? Like oil?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If you go to Taj Quantum's website they're an IT security company with "blockchain" randomly interspersed in their copy. Guess they pivoted to room temperature superconductors last week

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently they initially filed it in Feb-2021 https://patents.google.com/patent/US11710584B2/en?oq=17249094

If your guess is true then their real valuation is in their time travel technology

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Subvisual Haze posted:

Nonpolar liquid? Like oil?

apparently, yes

us patent office posted:

The present invention provides a class of Type II superconductors comprising perforated graphene wetted on at least one surface with aliphatic hydrocarbon or other suitable activating material, i.e., a non-polar liquid that does not incorporate Pi-bonding in its structure, such as vacuum pump oil, silicone oil comprising methyl silicone, or aliphatic hydrocarbon chains bound to a substrate by one end of the chain comprising a reactive functional group.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Anyone use JP Morgans trading platform? I'm guessing its probably as basic as fidelity, and it doesn't appear to have streaming realtime quotes. Have to refresh, like some sort of barbarian. But I'm sick of etrade getting run into the ground by morgan stanley, and jpm will give me money to switch to them.

Maybe I'll leave a tiny chunk of money at etrade so I can still look at powertrade quotes.

(Today when I logged into etrade every account showed 0. Banner at the top said "We are experiencing some difficulties. Your accounts are safe, please don't worry")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Funds are safefu