Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

SirPhoebos posted:

Speaking of, someone guessed that the dungeon boss would be FFIV's penultimate boss (Mind). Anyone have their pixel art?

This thing you mean? I think I was the one that thought it might show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A bit clearer here

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The big enemies in FF4 Lunar Sub are:

Zemus's Mind/Malice and Zemus' Breath (almost assured to be one of the bosses)
Deathmask (Weird giant robot head. Unique enemy, could make a fun fight)
Lunasaur (Zombie Dragons, attack in pairs)
Flan Princess' (most noted for being something you farm for Pink Tails, could see them getting a ref fight but not bosses)
Dark Bahamut (already covered by Lunar Bahamut)
Ogopogo (Evil Leviathan, major boss, a very likely choice for a boss fight)
White Dragon (Boss, not very likely as a boss since it's not very memorable and Ogopogo already covers a similar niche)
Plague Horror (Boss, Ahriman recolor, seems unlikely)
Zemus (Not actually a boss, just a cutscene fight, could be extended into a boss, but Zemus isn't really a 'thing' in the 14 version)

I'd bet on Ogopogo, Zemus' Malice/Breath (maybe both) and Deathmask

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think Deathmask is already covered by the first boss of Smileton, in a way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alxprit posted:

I think Deathmask is already covered by the first boss of Smileton, in a way

Yeah, I was thinking they could reuse the model, but it's a clear reference.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... What if the Lunar Subterranian is Red Moon Smileton?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I will amend my expectation. While the screens only seem to show the source and probably the thirteenth, I could definitely see it being a three shard romp from the first in order to bring the light over. That would also be cool.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I think one of the A-Rank Hunt marks on the moon is meant to be a Flan Princess reference.

I feel like Deathmask could just as easily be a trash mob, using those wall things from the Azim Steppe as the model with a different skin.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Aha, that's why those cubes looked so familiar.

ImpAtom posted:

I admin it kinda bugs me that Bahamut IV is the prize for the lynxs because it feels entirely disconnected.

Horses -> Shiny Super Horse
Birds -> Shiny Super Birb
Dogs -> Shiny Super Fox
Dragons -> Robo Transforming Dragon
Lynxs -> Non Robo Dragon. It really feels like it should be something feline-based.

It should have been the Warrior of Light going to Ultima Thule and recreating Ra-La. :colbert:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Whether Ra-La or not they are cowards for not giving us a giant cat that carries us by the scruff of the neck.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Akett posted:

Whether Ra-La or not they are cowards for not giving us a giant cat that carries us by the scruff of the neck.

The machina claw does this! But yeah a cat would be much cuter

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I get that by nature of the plan we're gonna go to the First as a significant beat, but it just sorta feels like less when there's not some major bullet-point content happening there. (Plus, having some Duty Support First NPCs would've been neat.)

All that said, I have my own theory on what we're meant to find familiar about the Lunar Subterrane:

Holy poo poo this is actually an odd resemblance.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The columns and pillars just reminded me of World of Darkness, although I can't remember what the floors are like in there.

But yeah that exact style being the inverse of Gulg is neat.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

They vaguely remind me of Ra'Kaznar in XI.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Culex for the dungeon boss just as Golbez's strongest flunky left after the fiends are gone.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I forget, did we ever get a Baigan-inspired fight? Because AFAIK, he, the Antlion, and the dark elf are the only bosses from before the final dungeon of 4 that haven’t popped up in some form yet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I just thought it was vaguely like the original Lunar Subterrane.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It definitely does, but Yoshi-P explicitly pointed out the floor as being a hint to which shard's moon it is too.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah I thought it was this. When it wasn't really obvious where it was from, I just assumed the translator had gotten what he was alluding to slightly wrong (which, as I understand it, is an incredibly common mistake when translating from Japanese in particular) and Yoship was referring to the fact that people who had played FFIV before would know it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
ShB set up a precedent that I wish EW followed, I wanted a Liger Zero mount :colbert:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So guessing the dungeon is the moon on the first, the moon on the source, and then the moon on the thirteenth, setting up a path to transfer the remaining light on the first to zap zeromus with.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Rosalind posted:

Yeah I thought it was this. When it wasn't really obvious where it was from, I just assumed the translator had gotten what he was alluding to slightly wrong (which, as I understand it, is an incredibly common mistake when translating from Japanese in particular) and Yoship was referring to the fact that people who had played FFIV before would know it.

The statement was roughly, "But you must be wondering, which moon is it? If you look at the floor, surely you remember fighting someplace with a floor like this before? That's a hint, I promise." If it was like, a single sentence I could believe a mistranslation, but the entire statement would have to be WILDLY mistranslated for several minutes straight if he was simply referring to FFIV

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

I'm a little disappointed that the dungeon isn't on the First, because without that it kinda just feels like it's gonna be an impact-less trip there.

You're doing that thing where you create a whole scenario to get mad/disappointed at so I can safely say you're probably gonna be wrong on this point,

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

So guessing the dungeon is the moon on the first, the moon on the source, and then the moon on the thirteenth, setting up a path to transfer the remaining light on the first to zap zeromus with.

This would be dope and kinda fit with Hero's Gauntlet and The Dead Ends as a story finale dungeon that takes place across multiple areas.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My concern about 'what if it's the First's moon and then goes through multiple moons' is twofold:

1. How the gently caress are you gonna get an entire duty support team on staff for that without really straining credulity?
2. Given Y'shtola's story seems to be gearing up for 'she's gonna figure out shard travel no matter how much it takes', pulling it off at least twice while she's not even around feels like robbing her of a story arc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The WoL can do it at will and we just stick the trusts in our pockets like we did the one time for each transition

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

DanielCross posted:

The statement was roughly, "But you must be wondering, which moon is it? If you look at the floor, surely you remember fighting someplace with a floor like this before? That's a hint, I promise." If it was like, a single sentence I could believe a mistranslation, but the entire statement would have to be WILDLY mistranslated for several minutes straight if he was simply referring to FFIV

Fair enough! I was only half paying attention because I was doing chores while listening in.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

Ok, hear me out. It starts on the First, you can use Ryne as a narrative duty support NPC, and she has GNB unlocked now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chillgamesh posted:

Ok, hear me out. It starts on the First, you can use Ryne as a narrative duty support NPC, and she has GNB unlocked now.

Since I've been nerding out on this behind the scenes, I want to lay down the limitations on duty support.

Our theoretical slimmest minimum is the setup used by Troia: Three NPCs, two of which can all-rounder into healer and tank respectively. (Ktisis had a similar setup but the healer could also tank). I'd say that might be a struggle to justify, so the attainable minimum is the setup from Alzadaal's Legacy or the Aetherfont: Three one-jobbers and an all-rounder into at least one role.

We already have, if we're assuming the entrance being on the First, two of those three by screenshots: Ryne and Zero, both DPS (Speaking of, there's some serious questions to be asked about the fact only Zero is in that screenshot). Theoretically you could also make Ryne a Gunbreaker; I wouldn't, because to me it feels like she 'unlocks' that in Eden, but it's a logical allowance for the setup.

So for a First-entrance dungeon with a pretty loving big ask let's be honest, we need either another DPS and a healer, or one person who can do both, who'd actually say yes to the most insane nonsense they've ever heard. Since story also needs to be considered, we also need to add the requirement that they're reasonably around to help (since it's unlikely we'd go too far afield), and would probably have something interesting to add to the whole picture by being there. And of course they can't have that bond through side content, since not everyone did those stories; for the First that primarily knocks out Gaia and the role quest NPCs.

Who have we got?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 1, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

My concern about 'what if it's the First's moon and then goes through multiple moons' is twofold:

1. How the gently caress are you gonna get an entire duty support team on staff for that without really straining credulity?
2. Given Y'shtola's story seems to be gearing up for 'she's gonna figure out shard travel no matter how much it takes', pulling it off at least twice while she's not even around feels like robbing her of a story arc.

We know Zero made it to the First, so Ryne Zero and Lyna can probably be worked into a story trust team. Ryne could be an all rounder (Gunbreaker, her original Rogue style Oracle, light based healer) and Lyna can be two (tank, dancer) or Zero being two (tank, reaper).

Comedy option, Feo Ul Duty Support.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 1, 2023

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cleretic posted:

Ryne: Tank/Heal (Urinager's Astrolobe)/DPS
Lyna: Tank/DPS
Zero: DPS

There you go. Same spread as Kiteros

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think you guys are way overthinking this.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"Urinager" is a particularly unfortunate typo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I think you guys are way overthinking this.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Giott will tank for us.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm gonna knock a chip off the Crystal Exarch and make an amulet out of it while I'm there

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Comedy option, Feo Ul Duty Support.

This is the way. We've gone too far and done too much without asking our poor ever-suffering branch for help.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
That's true, they might have events on the First lead up to the dungeon, maybe with a solo duty or something to give Ryne something to do, followed by the WoL and Zero porting to the source to meet up with the actual duty team.

It would be really cool if the duty support system could tolerate characters changing mid dungeon so you could have a forced party at first that switches over later or something, but that would be very new tech.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm guessing the whole dungeon is on the Thirteenth's moon and the scenery change they don't want to show is when it heads into Worstways Burrow full of void corrupted Loporrits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm guessing the whole dungeon is on the Thirteenth's moon and the scenery change they don't want to show is when it heads into Worstways Burrow full of void corrupted Loporrits

I sincerely doubt there are Loporrits on the shards, otherwise part of Thancred's motivation in the actual 6.0 MSQ becomes a lot less meaningful. Since he is (understandably) against abandoning the other shards which is what the Hydaelyn/Loporrit plan will do.