Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
a very hearty gently caress cars and gently caress their drivers

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/six-migrant-workers-struck-suv-intentional-act-nc-authorities-say-rcna97204

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I saw that on my apple newsfeed this morning but they made sure to say he was struck by a vehicle instead

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

love putting hte kids in a trailer and pulling them around, to parks and other fun venues. bike ftw.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ArmZ posted:

this is terrorism

speng31b
May 8, 2010

a car is currently trying to kill me by having no AC in 106 degree weather.....gently caress you, car

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

speng31b posted:

a car is currently trying to kill me by having no AC in 106 degree weather.....gently caress you, car

just put yourself outside of the car, silly

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

ArmZ posted:

fuuuuuuuuuck. so young. gently caress cars.

it was a motorcycle

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bike-on-bike violence.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RadiRoot posted:

it was a motorcycle

gently caress internal combustion engines

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Combustion was never meant to be internal

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

gradenko_2000 posted:

ive been saying this!!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
bring back steam engines.

i actually got to ride an old steamboat last week it was pretty cool.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Jul 31, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Selecting just the right piece of coal to feed into the engine of my steam powered bicycle

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

gradenko_2000 posted:

abolish ICE

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Milo and POTUS posted:

Selecting just the right piece of coal to feed into the engine of my steam powered bicycle

Those technically exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHWNH45-wyw

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

RadiRoot posted:

it was a motorcycle

It was a 23 year old woman driving a car

https://www.cpr.org/2023/07/31/magnus-white-usa-cycling-dead-boulder/

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

What are you, a dragon?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

RadiRoot posted:

it was a motorcycle

lmao spreading pro-car propaganda

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

well thats what i get for reading bullshit comment links on X

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lmao spreading pro-car propaganda

are we sure it wasnt a ufo though?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

""The motives of the suspect are still under investigation," the department said."

🐷🐷🐷

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Hubbert posted:

abolish ICE

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

evil_bunnY posted:

""The motives of the suspect are still under investigation," the department said."

🐷🐷🐷

Hmm gee I loving wonder

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
This thread rules and I had no idea it existed until it was linked in the bike commuting thread. I use to love cars but the more I learn about car culture, infrastructure and law the more I can't stand them, the added street racing, street takeovers and straight piped cars I am starting to hate them. "The War on Cars" podcast has been helpful to understand how we ended up with a car centric society that values drivers/cars over literal human life in a studied and cohesive way. I bike to work everyday and mostly find it pleasant, I am lucky that my 14 mile commute is mostly protected from traffic but still have run ins now and then with rear end in a top hat drivers. It's maddening how uncaring drivers are that they could end life with the jerk of a wheel or by checking their instagram while driving.

This may have been posted already but look at this poo poo stain of a person:

https://bikeportland.org/2023/07/03/protestor-blocks-bus-and-bike-lanes-on-division-with-his-car-376795

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

people who don't know: :yayclod:

people who know:

raggedphoto posted:

the more I learn about car culture, infrastructure and law the more I can't stand them, the added street racing, street takeovers and straight piped cars I am starting to hate them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

raggedphoto posted:

This thread rules and I had no idea it existed until it was linked in the bike commuting thread. I use to love cars but the more I learn about car culture, infrastructure and law the more I can't stand them, the added street racing, street takeovers and straight piped cars I am starting to hate them. "The War on Cars" podcast has been helpful to understand how we ended up with a car centric society that values drivers/cars over literal human life in a studied and cohesive way. I bike to work everyday and mostly find it pleasant, I am lucky that my 14 mile commute is mostly protected from traffic but still have run ins now and then with rear end in a top hat drivers. It's maddening how uncaring drivers are that they could end life with the jerk of a wheel or by checking their instagram while driving.

https://bikeportland.org/2023/07/03/protestor-blocks-bus-and-bike-lanes-on-division-with-his-car-376795
god the police are so loving useless

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

it's so funny how all the most macho big tough truk dudes are the most ostensibly terrified by someone walking up to their car to talk to them

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

mystes posted:

My partner was hit by a driver while biking to work and because there wasn't a need to call an ambulance they refused to even show up, I saw one hanging out a few blocks away from the accident site on my way to pick her up, he wasn't busy... This was 2016 so well before they started claiming a "staffing shortage" as a reason to ignore calls

NoU
Dec 31, 2008

mystes posted:

on my bike ride home today, seattle pd watched multiple cars dodge a construction site and go the wrong way on a one-way street. cops did nothing.

acab (applies to cars and cops)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
What's the point of bringing a gun? If you kill someone with a gun there's going to be all sorts of inconveniences, if you kill someone with a car then the cops are probably not even going to lay charges.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Just make a U-Turn and kill the cyclist... bing bong so simple.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

raggedphoto posted:

Miles is wrong, randy is a horrible person

Apr 7, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

it's so funny how all the most macho big tough truk dudes are the most ostensibly terrified by someone walking up to their car to talk to them

They aren't terrified, they want to get away with murdering someone. They structure their lives around provoking a confrontation where they can justifiably kill someone else and get away with it.

My dad and his friends were these exact people forty years ago

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They aren't terrified, they want to get away with murdering someone. They structure their lives around provoking a confrontation where they can justifiably kill someone else and get away with it.

My dad and his friends were these exact people forty years ago

hence the word "ostensibly"

they are very open about claiming to be pissing their pants and scared for their lives when someone comes up to knock on their window

Apr 7, 2003

It seems insanely weird to me to want to murder someone else but who knows. My dad was all about wandering around with a gun all the time

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/transitlanta/status/1685852116714147840?t=qubchk1o5ZWK6eUHWLG18w&s=19

Not Just Bikes is right

Dta

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not Just Bikes is right

:d2a:

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Was looking at the 'Biking' infrastructure overlay on google maps today and I was struck by how insanely wrong it is. There are a ton of roads labelled as having dedicated lanes of off-road cycleways that just don't, there are also a ton of walking paths which are absolutely not ridable marked as cycling trails. It pisses me off because it makes the map almost entirely useless for planning rides around cycling infrastructure, and it gives people the impression that what's out there is a lot more comprehensive and usable than what actually exists. I would consider trying to complain to somebody about it but I know nobody, least of all google, gives any kind of gently caress about it.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Blackhawk posted:

Was looking at the 'Biking' infrastructure overlay on google maps today and I was struck by how insanely wrong it is. There are a ton of roads labelled as having dedicated lanes of off-road cycleways that just don't, there are also a ton of walking paths which are absolutely not ridable marked as cycling trails. It pisses me off because it makes the map almost entirely useless for planning rides around cycling infrastructure, and it gives people the impression that what's out there is a lot more comprehensive and usable than what actually exists. I would consider trying to complain to somebody about it but I know nobody, least of all google, gives any kind of gently caress about it.

Open Cycle Maps is a version of OpenStreetMaps that knows way more than Google about good bike routes, give it a shot. A lot of third party mapping and route planning software uses it.

E: the other day Google tried to give me directions to an awkward part of town that would have added like 10km along the highway, but the other map software I use that has OCM data knew about the unofficial pedestrian shortcut across the tracks and wasn't worried about sending me there, it was an awesome surprise.

SimonSays has issued a correction as of 03:16 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

OSM will sometimes know about stuff like that that's missing from google maps (because it's easy for anyone to add) but I don't think it's necessarily better in terms of showing what's a good cycling route