Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Mordja posted:

Definitely the happiest season, overall. Nobody even died! Well, except for a couple militia, a Bonker Boy, *maybe* that PA who got brained by a light. Oh yeah, and Dusty.

You can see the PA get back up at the end, so the only casualty in the last episode was the Bonker Boy who got brained by Baby Billy's bigass noggin.

And Peter's leg, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Mordja posted:

So are all megachurches Evangical or something? There aren't any that are, like, Lutheran or whatever?

Depends on your definition of evangelical but there are megachurchs of every Christian branch and Christian- adjacent cults. The broader definition is anyone within Christianity who believes the Bible is solely highest authority. This is clearly distinct from Catholicism for obvious reasons. Under than definition Lutherans would be considered Evangelicals.

You can get more specific and say it’s anyone who actively engages in missions and spreading the “good news” which could kick out some denominations or churches.

People often compare Mainline Protestantism vs Evangelicalism as Liberal vs Conservative but that’s not really accurate. Mainline Protestantism vs Evangelicalism are effectively the same thing and everyone uses the words in different ways. A good example of this is that John Wesley is considered one of the founders of the evangelical movement but is also the originator of the Methodist church which is considered mainline. Even within the Methodist church you have 2 different major splits that happened… churches that supported slavery and churches that didn’t… then churches that support lgbt marriage and churches that don’t.

Within those organizations you can find a lot of variation depending on the organization, pastor, etc.

Adventists - the end is near

Anabaptists - a generally more extreme and doctrinal branch of Protestantism. Amish fall here

Baptists - The stereotypical fire and brimstone southern church. While there is a lot of variety within the Baptist church it is overwhelmingly heavily conservative, racist, and homophobic especially Southern or Red River

Calvinists - Has a lot of generally decent people that believe in improving the world especially in developing nations.

Episcopalians/Angelicans - Catholic-lite. No pope or singular leader but very ritualistic. Generally more conservative.

Lutheran - Also Catholic-lite. But more liberal. Generally not assholes.

Methodist - Wesleyans were anti-slavery, United methodist is pro lgbt. Global Methodists are the new homophobic ones

Pentecostals - Tongues, snakes, or just lots of singing and chanting. Mixed bag from very liberal to very awful

There are lots of other smaller branches but these cover the largest Protestant branches. A lot of words to say that it is difficult to tell an individual church’s beliefs/doctrine based on just whether it calls itself evangelical or not. A much more accurate picture is with which organization is it affiliated.

Calvinists, Lutherans, and United Methodists are generally decent people who aren’t assholes about their faith and are accepting of ethnicity, genders/sexual orientation, and other human differences. Baptists are generally the biggest assholes. Tons of variation within and outside the above though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Saltpowered posted:

Calvinists, Lutherans, and United Methodists are generally decent people who aren’t assholes about their faith and are accepting of ethnicity, genders/sexual orientation, and other human differences. Baptists are generally the biggest assholes. Tons of variation within and outside the above though.

Grew up UMC can confirm most of this post, although there are multiple branches of Lutherans that are pretty rough. My dad grew up Missouri Synod and that’s one of those branches where they still don’t let women into roles of power.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I can also see the Gemstones being homophobes on stage, but fine with it in their personal lives.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s interesting how the characters are nicer to each other but not reformed at the end of each season. Jesse can’t acknowledge his gray hair, and everyone is delighted to be destroying suits of armor and popcorn machines.

I’m watching metal monsters: the righteous Redeemer, about making the truck, and at least one of the guys is huge fan. Wynne told they’re working on the project, one says “is the monster truck for Baby Billy?”

I also love that the smart Montgomery’s were still defeated by children in Bible trivia, and one of dancing boys got the ultimate Bible bonk. I guess they’ll have to put in a memorium at the end of the episode.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzSdxLD9XA4

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
This is the bonkers portion of the program!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
chopper dick dont click unless youre at church

https://imgur.com/a/IXh7a7H

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was weird when Peter just randomly survives the explosion sans a lower leg, but whatever. Maybe they will include him next season. And I think they probably should include something involving the homophobia expressed by the evangelical community in the next season. They can deal with serious issues like covid and militias, they will have to cover how the community feels about Kelvin being gay.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/onyy7Zc.gifv

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 1, 2023

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

That was one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen. Bawled my eyes out and loved how big a swerve it took.

I'm a sucker for stories where the antagonist is Redeemed Through the Power of Love. Peter should definitely be in prison, but I didn't even care because I'm happy that the Montgomerys got their real dad back. Felt a little too convenient that no one was hurt in Chuck's explosion, because that parking lot was completely wrecked. Does Eli just pay for all the damages and suddenly no one is arrested? Nitpicking though because thematically the story works wonders.

The locust ending was astounding. It goes full horror for a little bit, which this show does very well. McBride et al always know how to wield pops of violence to perfection. Like Will Ferrell's cannon in Eastbound or the tiger in Vice Principals. This though, I've never seen an "Act of God" climax that worked this well and felt totally earned despite seemingly coming out of left field.

This might have been my favorite season of the show (though it's never fully recovered from losing Scott MacArthur even if he went out perfectly). I hope Gideon gets more to do next season than just Being Cool. And that Kelvin's sexuality is a good plotline. Excited to see what hosed up antagonist comes next.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/kfOx61r.gifv

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Poopbutt posted:

I still don't understand how no one is talking about the cock helicopter foreplay scene. It was one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

Discussing that scene is like dancing to architecture

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Saltpowered posted:

Depends on your definition of evangelical but there are megachurchs of every Christian branch and Christian- adjacent cults. The broader definition is anyone within Christianity who believes the Bible is solely highest authority. This is clearly distinct from Catholicism for obvious reasons. Under than definition Lutherans would be considered Evangelicals.

You can get more specific and say it’s anyone who actively engages in missions and spreading the “good news” which could kick out some denominations or churches.

People often compare Mainline Protestantism vs Evangelicalism as Liberal vs Conservative but that’s not really accurate. Mainline Protestantism vs Evangelicalism are effectively the same thing and everyone uses the words in different ways. A good example of this is that John Wesley is considered one of the founders of the evangelical movement but is also the originator of the Methodist church which is considered mainline. Even within the Methodist church you have 2 different major splits that happened… churches that supported slavery and churches that didn’t… then churches that support lgbt marriage and churches that don’t.

Within those organizations you can find a lot of variation depending on the organization, pastor, etc.

Adventists - the end is near

Anabaptists - a generally more extreme and doctrinal branch of Protestantism. Amish fall here

Baptists - The stereotypical fire and brimstone southern church. While there is a lot of variety within the Baptist church it is overwhelmingly heavily conservative, racist, and homophobic especially Southern or Red River

Calvinists - Has a lot of generally decent people that believe in improving the world especially in developing nations.

Episcopalians/Angelicans - Catholic-lite. No pope or singular leader but very ritualistic. Generally more conservative.

Lutheran - Also Catholic-lite. But more liberal. Generally not assholes.

Methodist - Wesleyans were anti-slavery, United methodist is pro lgbt. Global Methodists are the new homophobic ones

Pentecostals - Tongues, snakes, or just lots of singing and chanting. Mixed bag from very liberal to very awful

There are lots of other smaller branches but these cover the largest Protestant branches. A lot of words to say that it is difficult to tell an individual church’s beliefs/doctrine based on just whether it calls itself evangelical or not. A much more accurate picture is with which organization is it affiliated.

Calvinists can definitely be assholes about their faith. After all, one of the core tenets is double predestination - not only has God already chosen who's going to heaven, but has also decided who is going to hell. This can give them a mild superiority complex and that can absolutely manifest in a lot of subtle racism, ostracism of those who are different, etc. They do tend to do a lot of mission work though, that much is true - it's part of building God's kingdom on earth.

Source: Grew up Calvinist.
Source 2: You know Betsy DeVos? Yeah she's a Calvinist.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
I'm gonna skip ahead to avoid spoilers but can anyone get a gif of Amber's reaction after Judy says "it's okay he's my uncle?"

What am amazing face.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/16GkzVF.gifv

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Lol thank you

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

DC Murderverse posted:

You can do both, it’s not a binary. I’m not asking for them to have a subplot about revealing that Eli spend decades covering up for child abusers but having a show about a southern mega church where one of the leaders is gay and everyone is just cool with it would be like Brooklyn 99 trying to have their cake and eat it too for years before everyone was like “wait why is this show about NYPD officers full of goofy happy diverse people who don’t exist in real life because NYPD officers, to a man, suck poo poo?”

Colin Robinson?

Some people just like to watch tv and have fun, not analyze everything and bring every loving real world problem into WORLDS OF MAKE BELIEVE. Amazing episode of one of the best shows in years. Everything was perfect.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 1, 2023

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Mirotic posted:

Calvinists can definitely be assholes about their faith. After all, one of the core tenets is double predestination - not only has God already chosen who's going to heaven, but has also decided who is going to hell. This can give them a mild superiority complex and that can absolutely manifest in a lot of subtle racism, ostracism of those who are different, etc. They do tend to do a lot of mission work though, that much is true - it's part of building God's kingdom on earth.

Source: Grew up Calvinist.
Source 2: You know Betsy DeVos? Yeah she's a Calvinist.

I’m leaving west Michigan and those Christian reformed church people behind. Bible Belt of the north is right.

Also Peter should have continued to drive a Ryder Truck but maybe that would have been too much. Would have been in line with the season if he got some mk ultra like conditioning in prison.

However, that militia would definitely have a fed or a mole in it.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 1, 2023

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

sonatinas posted:

I’m leaving west Michigan and those Christian reformed church people behind. Bible Belt of the north is right.

Also Peter should have continued to drive a Ryder Truck but maybe that would have been too much. Would have been in line with the season if he got some mk ultra like conditioning in prison.

However, that militia would definitely have a fed or a mole in it.

I have family in west Michigan and that is a very good assessment, holy poo poo.

Anyway, echoing the praise for this season. I like that, almost despite themselves, and in their own idiosyncratic way, the younger Gemstones are actually able to grow.

Very intrigued to see how the Gideon / Eli relationship develops, and if it threatens Jesse at all when he's finally ascendant. He might be growing but that doesn't mean he can't backslide.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ChesterJT posted:

Colin Robinson?

Some people just like to watch tv and have fun, not analyze everything and bring every loving real world problem into WORLDS OF MAKE BELIEVE. Amazing episode of one of the best shows in years. Everything was perfect.

I’m sure there are some hourlong videos of jangling keys soundtracked with fart noises waiting for you on YouTube if all you want is moving pictures and a laff

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

hopefully next season is more like ted lasso :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What a fantastic ending! Jesus. I need to get back to Vice Principals now. Finished EBD a couple weeks back and that’s still an all timer but drat these last two were so loving good.

Shine by Dolly was perfect. I thought it was a track from her new “rock” album coming out but it’s from 2001.

She can do no wrong.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cool cousins. :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I play a LOT of GTA Online and I have a monster truck-like vehicle.

Gonna sing Redeemer whenever I barge into my friend's game with it.

Also, am I the only one who wanted more Iliza Shlesinger? I love her :allears:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Keefe riding piggyback on Karl during the end montage was cute

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m sure there are some hourlong videos of jangling keys soundtracked with fart noises waiting for you on YouTube if all you want is moving pictures and a laff

Lol god

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i don't think they're gonna lean too hard into a conflict with the church's homophobia and Kelvin because it would be a huge bummer and not very funny compared to stuff like muscular boys and bible bonkers

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Caught up last night on the finale. Some thoughts!

- This was the best season. I am really stunned at how great it was, but they definitely wrote a "just in case" ending, because that could have easily been a satisfying series finale.

- I still don't know how this show takes these goofy rear end people and make me care so much.

- The cape twirling between Jesse and Simkins at the sword and pistols club was so silly and I laughed way harder at that than I should have, probably.

- Helicopter dick took me a second to process what was going on, but once I did, I was aghast and laughing my rear end off.

- Glad they moved Kelvin forward finally, but there's no way that won't be at least some sort of sub-plot for s4.

- Judy continues her rein as my favorite character just on account of how absolutely twisted and chaotic she is.

- Uncle Baby Billy and the partying flashback was absolute gold.

Since there is a debate about the "whitewashing of evangelicals" going on, I've always interpreted it as A) this is a comedy show, not Dateline, so being funny comes first. B) The Gemstones will do/say whatever they need to in order to keep those tithes flowing in, in spite of believing things their congregation doesn't necessarily believe in all cases. There is a lot of "do as I say, not as I do" going on from the very beginning of the show. I'd think eventually it would come back to bite them, but we've been shown that it has at least a few times (ie: Y2K flashback) and they figure out the next clever turn of phrase to get out of it... just like real churches.

In short, I never got around to a rewatch of s2 before s3, so I'll be rewatching both sooner than later. Especially since there's no telling when s4 will ever be able to begin production with the strikes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Caesar Saladin posted:

i don't think they're gonna lean too hard into a conflict with the church's homophobia and Kelvin because it would be a huge bummer and not very funny compared to stuff like muscular boys and bible bonkers

Life is cruel! Why should entertainment be any different!
- Davy Jones

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The show requires that we like the Gemstones just a little, even as we recognize their flaws, and making any of them overtly bigoted would pretty much kill that for a substantial portion of the audience. You could argue that softens the satire a little, but I think it also opens the show up to do more complex things with Evangelical Christianity, and just for them to paint their own surreal, appealing-but-screwed-up world.

Honestly I keep going back to The Godfather, which wasn't a realistic portrayal of the Mafia but has certain human truths to it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Doronin posted:

- Judy continues her rein as my favorite character just on account of how absolutely twisted and chaotic she is.

Yeah Judy is astounding, I don't think anything on the show will approach the "full on snail trail" speech from season 1, but even when I think other characters are showing stronger character moments Judy will pull something amazing out. Her last scenes this season where she talked about how expensive and shady The System was, then immediately following it up by Doing Compliments at Amber was just an perfect sequence.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Caesar Saladin posted:

I doubt they'd get into the really ugly culture war stuff with people screaming at Kelvin that he's a groomer etc., but I also don't think they're going to just ignore it. My guess is that it's probably going to be framed mostly in terms of internal conflict: Kelvin is going to want to go public and/or get married, everyone else is going to want him to make compromises on his relationship for the good of the church. Gemstones isn't a show about serious social issues, it's a show about silly family squabbling, so this is going to be a vehicle for family squabbles first and foremost.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Edi Patterson is so amazing. There's something she brings to the part that's just unquantifiable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The height of the show’s Covid references was goddamn elixirs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6IRIaFiiIQ

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Maxwell Lord posted:

The show requires that we like the Gemstones just a little, even as we recognize their flaws, and making any of them overtly bigoted would pretty much kill that for a substantial portion of the audience. You could argue that softens the satire a little, but I think it also opens the show up to do more complex things with Evangelical Christianity, and just for them to paint their own surreal, appealing-but-screwed-up world.

Honestly I keep going back to The Godfather, which wasn't a realistic portrayal of the Mafia but has certain human truths to it.

I don't think anyone has argued that the Gemstones themselves should attack Kelvin for being gay. Maybe that's what you're hung up on. We're saying that their congregation is bound to have a statistically significant amount of bigots who will be upset that Kelvin is gay and are upset that he's running the youth ministry.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jesse: "Oh, are we doing giggles?"

And....

Judy: "I was doing compliments..."

I love how childish their speech is. Tim Robinson could be a great addition to the cast for S4, especially if he ends up talking with Jesse and/or Judy.

Also, when I hadn't heard about Dusty in a while before he was brought up again near the end, it reminded me how S2 similarly completely dropped the Jason Schwartzman plot throughout until the very end. But it all came together.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78mtZPcXExE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Maxwell Lord posted:

Edi Patterson is so amazing. There's something she brings to the part that's just unquantifiable.

They do a really great job casting the show, whether it's a known actor or someone most people aren't familiar with.

But, then there's next level poo poo when they get someone really special that totally fits in and gets what McBride and Hill are going for. They got something amazing with Edi in Vice Principals and this show. And who knew Walton Goggins got it as well.