Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Talk to Me spoiler chat:

so was Mia possesed by a malignant spirit from the first time for the rest of the movie because there was that weird hand when Riley was asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

The name's Mo. They call me me that because when people recommend investigative horror movies, I always want mo'.

:hai:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The Exorcist 3 is investigative horror adjacent at the least.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Talk to Me spoiler chat:

so was Mia possesed by a malignant spirit from the first time for the rest of the movie because there was that weird hand when Riley was asleep.

Yes

https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1685665820343476224?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hope it expands a little bit, I've had trouble getting decent tickets locally

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
it'll be funny if the strike extends into next year and a24 is the only studio who didn't have to massively stretch out their release schedule

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
a little late, but isn't one of the Hellraiser sequels an investigator type story?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

that would be Hellraiser 7: Deader which is the second-best Hellraiser after the original. It's really good!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
That's a wild and intriguing take.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

that would be Hellraiser 7: Deader which is the second-best Hellraiser after the original. It's really good!

:siren: HOT TAKE ALERT :siren:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

:siren: HOT TAKE ALERT :siren:

Here's an hour of me explaining why Hellraiser: Deader is the best Hellraiser

It's true! It's good!

quote:

I've thought a lot about what makes a movie a Hellraiser movie, and it really boils down to Desire.
Hellraiser VII: Deader, despite its ridiculously off-putting name that suggests all the worst of the Direct-to-Video horror sequels, acquits itself gloriously and ends up being, I think, probably my second-favorite Hellraiser in the franchise. Ace reporter Amy Klein (Kari Wuher) gets a peek at a snuff film sent to her London alternative-press paper, and the race is on for her to dive the rabbit hole of Hellraising. Since the plot is basically ancillary - person learns more about the box and its culture, opens the box, cue Doug Bradley in 3 hours of makeup, roll credits - let's talk about specific choices.

Amy Klein as a heroine is perfect. She's a tough reporter, willing to dive into the culture to get her story - but she's essentially alone, and her tough-girl persona starts to crack as she's confronted with the truly vile activities on display by the death cult. Speaking of which, the death cult (the horribly-named "Deaders") are the perfect antagonist, and really capture the Lovecraftian feel that Hellraiser has always hinted at. They've found some hedge against nature, some seam to exploit and get the tiniest taste of what truly supernatural power is. They're playing with daddy's gun, and we all know how that story ends.
Deader also does a great job of hinting at things to come. A party promoter Amy meets early in the film has his hair twisted up in little patches poking out (think Coolio, but shorter) and is so drug-addled he can barely form a sentence, just giving cryptic pronouncements. So - Pinhead via MDMA. And in that great scene, Deader makes the connection between sins of the flesh and orgiastic behavior and the world of the Cenobites. I really can't say enough about Kari's work as Amy here. There's an extended 5+ minute scene where she doesn't say a word or interact with anyone else, just attempts to remove a knife from her back, while trying to figure out why the knife sticking out of her chest isn't killing her. The whole thing is far more gruesome and unsettling than anything from the later SAW movies, if only because she has to avoid breaking down into madness and hysterics. We get to see Amy actually become the unflaggable reporter she played at in the beginning of the movie.

As I said at the beginning, if Hellraiser is about anything, it's about lust. This movie has several parallels and lusts - the Deader cult leader's lust for control, and Amy's lust to know. The idea of the andry's lust for control and the gyny's lust for knowledge is biblical, if probably unintentional, and makes for fantastic parallels. This might be the best pure Hellraiser story told, even more quintessential than the first. How Rick Bota made both this and the excreable Hellworld I'll never figure out.

If you squint just right at some oblique intimations, you can piece together a better movie in your head, which is the mark, I suppose, of a repurposed script that needed another pass but Miramax was absolutely not going to pay for that so instead we get first-draft-to-screen.

Still, there's a ton going on that is really nice - Bota somehow incorporates so much symbolism at once that it accidentally makes the movie good. Are the Christ themes and the Orpheus themes conflicting because Bota is bad at his job? (almost certainly!) or are they conflicting because Amy is a flawed, PTSD-stricken protagonist descending in to madness?

The tag at the end that recasts Charles as some sort of "feeding hottie reporters into the Cenobite woodchipper" monster doesn't really work for me but the rest of this movie is lights-out great.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 31, 2023

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Noroi, Occult and Senritsu Kaiki File are all investigations

oh poo poo so is the all time CURE

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I just realized, all these investigation recommendations and nobody has said The Exorcist 3 yet.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

SneakySneaks posted:

I'm in a mood for a good investigation horror (supernatural basis, not serial killer like Zodiac, Seven, Memories of Murder, Chaser) after watching Mirrors of all things. Despite being a middle of the road movie, the Esseker stuff hit a sweet spot for me and I'm looking something with a similar creepy vibe, but I think I've seen most of the good/decent ones. I've seen most of the J-Horror Movies (and remakes), Empty Man, Cure for Wellness, A Record of a Sweet Murder, Seance, Incantation, Session 9, Cure. Are there more films along those lines that keep in paranormal?
Others have already recommended it, but I'll also throw in a vote for The Vast Of Night. Excellent movie.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah its general handling of LGBT issues is a big ol’ negative and the one thing that stops me from recommending it to everyone.

Also that the climactic evil is defeated by a cop loving a 16 year old.

Lumbermouth fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 31, 2023

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I watched Infinity Pool this weekend, thought it was really great. Not as good as Possessor but maybe more accessible as far as this sort of movie goes. Mia Goth is so over the top for most of it, arguably too much, but it's a fun performance and she rules.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

thank u for making me lol every time with the shops :thumbsup:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

also lmao

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Think I'll watch Excorcist 3 tonight just because I wanna hear the carp story again

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i gotta say that Talk to Me, did not speak to me.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Think I'll watch Excorcist 3 tonight just because I wanna hear the carp story again

watching The Exorcist III is always the right move. Every conversation between Kinderman and Dyer is amazing. As is the whole interview sequence with Karras/The Gemini

also re: investigative horror, not a movie but if you like to read horror fiction as well then the novel Night Film by Marisha Pessl is super cool, it's about a journalist investigating the suicide of the daughter of a reclusive underground horror filmmaker.

e: also Last Days by Brian Evenson is a noir/hard-boiled detective horror novel and it rules

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 31, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

e: also Last Days by Brian Evenson is a noir/hard-boiled detective horror novel and it rules

this book is great and Evenson's short stories are even better. fantastic writer.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Broadcast Signal Intrusion (2021) is investigative but it’s only okay. it sort of feels like the movie version of an amateur creepypasta set unconvincingly in the 90s that nevertheless has one or two sticky images. I liked it OK though, and unlike a lot of the other biggies most of you prob haven’t seen it! I like Harry Shum Jr. a lot

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Candyman, if that counts

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Frailty is investigative but I don't know if that counts as horror either

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Deadite posted:

Frailty is investigative but I don't know if that counts as horror either

Frailty is definitely a investigative horror but its all flashback so I'm not sure if that counts.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this book is great and Evenson's short stories are even better. fantastic writer.

I just discovered him this past year and he’s quickly becoming one of my favorites, I’ve read 5 books of his so far and have two more sitting on my shelf to read soon.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
When you think about it most found footage movies are supernatural investigation movies.

So go check out Last Broadcast, Ghostwatch, Blair Witch Project obviously, Yellow Brick Road, could go on for a while

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Mothman Prophecies is just alright so far.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Opopanax posted:

Candyman, if that counts

Does ending in fire and blood make the investigation more or less successful than the average grad student?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Be my victim join my lab!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

The Mothman Prophecies is just alright so far.

It’s not amazing but it’s a solid spooky little film. There’s a really great spook scare later in the film

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Mothman Prophecies was just alright. Richard Gere did a good job and the acting was perfectly fine. I wasn't particularly engaged with it though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I don't count Vast of Night as horror, but I think it's just a fantastic movie. I think my favorite scene was when the screen is just black and you're listening to that guy tell the story.

Rewatched it yesterday cause y'all were talking about it, and yeah, this. That and the long oner where Fay keeps calling people on her switchboard and they keep dropping off the network.

I never tuned into Art Bell back in the day but I imagine that's what it would have been like on a good night, that sort of mounting paranoia. Driving down some nameless laser-straight prairie road, overcast, with the moon glowing dimly through a break in the clouds. Some poor scared dude spilling his guts on AM radio about the weird poo poo he saw in the Army, and then his call drops. And as the hair stands up on your arms, you realize you're the only thing moving that's bigger than a gopher within like 50 miles, and you start to wonder... What would happen if I got out and looked up and checked?

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 1, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

exactly that vibe.

I remember watching it in the middle of the night and getting creeped out by the ladies story and thinking...holy poo poo, this movie is just people telling stories, showing nothing, and my imagination is going wild and creeping me out.

I also adore the score. the feeling it gives me is so weird. It's like creepy, awe inspiring, and haunting and like 10 other things at the same time.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Just got home from seeing Talk to Me, I thought it was pretty good! Not like best of the year material, but very solid. The crowd was into it too, which always makes horror theater experiences better.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hey is anyone here artistically minded and could generate some very basic but distinct silohoutte faces of Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, and Christopher lee. Just lines only. No real in depth details I just want like outlines of their faces that you can tell are them ,but its real simple.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I just realized, all these investigation recommendations and nobody has said The Exorcist 3 yet.

:colbert: hmph

Also, Hellraiser: Inferno is investigative horror and actually IS the third best Hellraiser.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hellraiser Inferno is the same oh he was dead and in Hell/Purgatory the whole time!! we've seen a hundred times. I go for the Period Piece/Space Sequel combo over that any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

are we ranking Hellraiser films?

Hellraiser
Hellraiser 2
Hellraiser remake
Hellraiser 3
Hellraiser Bloodlines

the rest of them