Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I dunno, that thumbnail makes me want to try and reenact it, see if I can get a really good cyclist launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately real life is not gta 4 and you can't interact with a swing set in such a manner as to catapult you at the speed of light across the world.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

I dunno, that thumbnail makes me want to try and reenact it, see if I can get a really good cyclist launch

Kerbal to Work Scheme.

That stunt-guy seemed to really go for it though, I doubt they were paying much so he must just be in it for the love of the game

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh I knew that technique by a Nordic name, but basically the idea that you use the arm farthest from your door handle to open so it forces you to check behind you even by accident.

Been doing that for over a decade since I learned it and I tend to be passenger more often than driver.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Unfortunately real life is not gta 4 and you can't interact with a swing set in such a manner as to catapult you at the speed of light across the world.

Oh yeah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tU93mWvR6I

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

That stunt-guy seemed to really go for it though, I doubt they were paying much so he must just be in it for the love of the game

Did you see them during lockdown? I think they just like hurting themselves.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

sounds like a skill issue

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like a skills wallet *catapults at the speed of fundie prayer across the world to turn the fish straight*

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1686011605014675456

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I've been watching police TV shows since Starsky & Hutch.
That should make me a senior detective immediately.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TBH I've been jobseeking lately and there's already loads of positions for fast-track detectives if you have a degree. Like £35-40k after 2 years.

If being a detective was like the games and movies I might consider it, rather than just spending most of your time finding ways to pin crimes on black people and telling rape victims there's nothing you can prove.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
That new guy they got from Deloitte seems really good at sniffing out cocaine.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

If being a detective was like the games and movies I might consider it, rather than just spending most of your time finding ways to pin crimes on black people and telling rape victims there's nothing you can prove.

Yeah a lot of my career skills would translate easily to detectivery but I’m just not a big enough oval office to make the cut I fear :negative:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

being a oval office makes you a good candidate for future cuntery, who knew

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The list of alternative forms of work experience in the article seems pretty useful, to be honest (social workers, white-collar fraud investigators, and so on), and a good way to break through the toxic thin-blue-line cop brotherhood culture of police forces.

The basic problem is that it's banking on trust that Labour has done nothing whatsoever to earn.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tesseraction posted:

TBH I've been jobseeking lately and there's already loads of positions for fast-track detectives if you have a degree. Like £35-40k after 2 years.

rather doubt the first one is mandatory except in the "you have an implicit clearance quota" sense

second one is often true and sucks

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Diet Crack posted:

Here have some driver brainworms just to exacerbate the point.
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1684192873774821378

It's a real roundabout way of saying you should never have been given a licence.

tbh I need to look into this thing, it's obviously a massive violation of driver expectation etc which is bad; "I don't like staring at the speedometer" is a stupid way to put it but it's not completely off base

I assume it's primarily a safety measure, which is good but usually speed limit changes and nothing else aren't the best choice

I also assume Khan's nerd advisors aren't total morons

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

New copotype detected: business cop.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Google Jeb Bush posted:

tbh I need to look into this thing, it's obviously a massive violation of driver expectation etc which is bad; "I don't like staring at the speedometer" is a stupid way to put it but it's not completely off base

I assume it's primarily a safety measure, which is good but usually speed limit changes and nothing else aren't the best choice

Yeah a 10mph reduction on a street layout made by throwing spaghetti at the wall during the horse and cart era is a good thing, and it's only within the major city area.

It's not just safety but also traffic calming and emissions reduction and the replies to his nonsense are full of "but if I do 20 in first gear with my foot fully down then that makes more emissions" bullshit that proves it.

If Fox sits behind the wheel grinding his teeth and eyeballing the dash then that's solely

Guavanaut posted:

because he drives while under the influence of alcohol and cocaine.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I find 20 is an especially irritating speed to drive it. It's too fast to just roll with the engine and yet slow enough that you have to keep tapping the accelerator. It's probably got something to do with how the gearbox handles things that makes the car not want to stay at 20 naturally.

30 is very easy to maintain as is 70. I don't like 40-60 either.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
yeah getting done for 24 in a 20 is bullshit. Like the slower the speed limit the less leeway there is, and most speedos aren't going to do you any favours there. I've had cars that would not reliably give speed readings below 30.

thats like getting done for 6 mph in a 5mph zone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

20 is just as easy as any other speed in my car, you just stick it in the gear that's 1 above the 10s of speed you want. So 3rd for 20, 4th for 30, 5th for 40, if it had a 6th I'd use it for 50.

I really don't find it difficult to keep to.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

happyhippy posted:

I've been watching police TV shows since Starsky & Hutch.
That should make me a senior detective immediately.

Me too - I used to have a poster of Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky) on my wall as a teen.

I'm getting ready to submit my cv - experience - just this every evening: NCIS, Endeavour, Law & Order UK, last 20 minutes of New Tricks (instead of Wycliff) getting ready for Silent Witness.
Plus detecting that two modestly consequential' errors made at work which 'noone's looking to blame anyone' (with both of them looking at me) were committed by my line manager while I was on leave because she doesn't know Xero & Salesforce have these features to see which user name did what and when. ... bwahahaha. (She doesn't know how to do bank reconciliations, whatever possessed her to try while I was away I shall never know).
Anyway, I'm now Detective Inspector Jaeluni of the (back)Yard.

In a world gone mad....

quote:

Police are being advised not to use the “Evenin’ all” greeting made famous by TV’s Dixon of Dock Green – because of cultural differences.
One force bizarrely claims the character’s catchphrase is a subjective term that varies depending on culture and nationality. Other words officers are urged to avoid are “child” and “homosexual”.
The instructions were revealed in response to a Freedom of Information request about guidance to police and fire services on the use of language.
Warwickshire Police’s Policing Our Communities handbook states: “Don’t assume those words for the time of day, such as afternoon or evening, have the same meaning.”

(from 2009 - woke's been awake a long time.)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-banned-from-saying-evenin-all-426986

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So Rishis confirmed that the UK is maximising fossil fuel extraction and in general is gonna pursue an anti-eco agenda.

Such a oval office. What makes it worse is that he almost definitely doesn't even believe in what he's doing, he's just been told by strategists that it's the best way maximise vote share and positive tabloid media coverage.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Had to drive to Glasgow today and they've put in an LEZ since I was last in the UK. I'm raging, Sadiq Khan has gone too far this time.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
presumably by the time of the election campaign he'll be in the north sea harpooning the sea creatures by way of photo ops

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

Such a oval office. What makes it worse is that he almost definitely doesn't even believe in what he's doing, he's just been told by strategists that it's the best way maximise vote share and positive tabloid media coverage.

This is where you're mistaken; being a politician to the level he's at means you have to believe what your strategists tell you whole-heartedly. You are politics by focus group. Starmer is the same. He will drop his most deeply held personal moral the moment a focus group tells him that racism is actually progressive.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

presumably by the time of the election campaign he'll be in the north sea harpooning the sea creatures by way of photo ops
Hope he gets ate by that giant slater that hangs around there.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Perhaps it's been a long day but I have to say I am extremely disdainful of politicians right now.

In fact I think some of them are rather, if I may be rude, putrescent.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have heard, though it saddens me to even countenance it, that many of them are big cunts.

Such a sad state for them to be big cunts like that, but that's how it may well be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can we have the giant North sea Slater as the prime minister?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

The Perfect Element posted:

Rishi, you have to go on BBC Sunday Morning and gently caress a car.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Google Jeb Bush posted:

If you're not looking at the speedo to match the limit when you're initially getting to speed in any situation post being still, then using spatial reckoning and the audible tone of the engine or holding your foot on the throttle to maintain an input, then what are you actually doing because this should be a subconscious loving thing if you're not on your L plates - same as looking in the mirrors which 90% of people seem to be capable of. The idea that you never look at the speedometer to check what you're actually doing is reserved for those who have literally NO IDEA HOW TO DRIVE or are willingly speeding. Similarly, you're a loving idiot if you're just staring at the speedo and similarly shouldn't be driving because it just shows you're incapable of multitasking. All whilst being in a near 1 ton death dealing deathtrap in the public sphere.

It just seems to me that majority of motorists are dumb cunts who shouldn't be on the road.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 1, 2023

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

Can we have the giant North sea Slater as the prime minister?

Would be nice but I don't think the scottish greens will get that many seats in westminster

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

All the roads round here that have a twenty limit are residential areas, usually with schools, parks and playgrounds scattered around. It’s lovely and I don’t care how many angry gammons are made to get up five minutes earlier to get to work.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My only issue with 20mph limits are the stupid humps in the road.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I'm sure cars differ between manufacturer and when they were made, and there are some exceptions, but really if you can't build to and maintain a speed by engine noise and observation of the world moving around you with only occasional checks of the speedo, you need to put the L plates back on.

Speed bumps are the worst, and they never seem to stop joyriders, or the cunts with gritted teeth driving how they want anyway. I really don't know what the solution is, mandatory scheduled track days so you can get it all out your system?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

OwlFancier posted:

You aren't actually supposed to park on the pavement, in some places I believe you'll get ticketed for it, and it also obstructs the pavement for people who need to use it.

lol I I'm on an infrequent 'office day' today, walked literally round the corner from my house and there's a car parked on the pavement- not ' two wheels up on the kerb', the whole car on the path with only the far side wheels on the road, 100% walking space taken up. I almost had an old man's radge / took a photo, but laughed it off and walked around it. Not so much fun for a zimmer granny though.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's completely legal to key a car if it is parked on the pavement, police can't do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Diet Crack posted:

If you're not looking at the speedo to match the limit when you're initially getting to speed in any situation post being still, then using spatial reckoning and the audible tone of the engine or holding your foot on the throttle to maintain an input, then what are you actually doing because this should be a subconscious loving thing if you're not on your L plates - same as looking in the mirrors which 90% of people seem to be capable of. The idea that you never look at the speedometer to check what you're actually doing is reserved for those who have literally NO IDEA HOW TO DRIVE or are willingly speeding. Similarly, you're a loving idiot if you're just staring at the speedo and similarly shouldn't be driving because it just shows you're incapable of multitasking. All whilst being in a near 1 ton death dealing deathtrap in the public sphere.

It just seems to me that majority of motorists are dumb cunts who shouldn't be on the road.

A more effective argument might be "yeah but if the limit was 30 you'd still be looking at the speedo, if the limit was 50 you'd still be looking at the speedo, what you want is no speed limits anywhere which is obviously stupid"