Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah teleport ambush is an auto success. It's very powerful, and only really balanced by it burning your remaining movement to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Working on my Kislev RoC campaign.

gently caress Tzeentch's realm.

That is all.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Tzeentch's realm has the same pattern within every new game, so you can save scum it to avoid the problem of that one AI that guesses right 100% of the time and swipes the soul.

It's cheating but a lot of RoC is just straight unfun BS for little reward imo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cranappleberry posted:

It's cheating but a lot of RoC is just straight unfun BS for little reward imo

I'm not a fan of RoC so far. I feel like I never have enough money and resources to support more than two stacks. Katarin needs the big guns so she can do the Chaos realms, but I'm also the meat in a Valkia-and-Skrag sandwich (used to share filling space with Throt but he's now thankfully dead), so my second stack lead by Boris now is constantly being pulled between two fronts and I never seem to have enough money to put together a meaningful third stack.

When Katarin is not in the Chaos realms, I feel like I can make progress. But she keeps getting whisked off to do plot, leaving me with just Boris to hold the fort.

Oh well. I did somehow beat Greasus and Skarbrand to the Tzeentch soul, so I'm two for two so far. Nurgle and Slaanesh still to go.

Realm of Chaos is a neat idea, but I'm not sold on the implementation.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The big secret to RoC is that everyone can essentially just build tall and ignore everything else. Defend your space, protect your three cities, be fine. Go send Katarin on a crusade when she gets back and maybe raze someone out of existence.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 31, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Any recommended mods for letting the AI put up challenging fights past the early game?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ravenfood posted:

The big secret to RoC is that everyone can essentially just build tall and ignore everything else. Defend your space, protect your three cities, be fine. Go send Katarin on a crusade when she gets back and maybe raze someone out of existence.

Yeah, I now just sack my way across the land when it's not portal time. If they take it back who gives a poo poo. If there's a particularly hard target I can just skip it and sack something easier.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I bought the third game after Immortal Empires launched and have not played a single RoC campaign. Might have to do one eventually to unlock Boris but other than that the impression I get is that it's just...not that fun?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's pretty fun, its just not paint the map fun.

Kislev really does feel like its holding off the world. It's much more fun now that you can go "gently caress it" and turn off portals in provinces.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I liked when they made two games where huge doomstacks appeared next to your settlements out of nowhere. I also really liked it when they make a whole thing in the high elf WH2 campaign about holding onto the big gates (pheonix gate, etc.) only to have doomstacks appear behind them when you start a ritual.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cythereal posted:

I'm not a fan of RoC so far. I feel like I never have enough money and resources to support more than two stacks. Katarin needs the big guns so she can do the Chaos realms, but I'm also the meat in a Valkia-and-Skrag sandwich (used to share filling space with Throt but he's now thankfully dead), so my second stack lead by Boris now is constantly being pulled between two fronts and I never seem to have enough money to put together a meaningful third stack.

When Katarin is not in the Chaos realms, I feel like I can make progress. But she keeps getting whisked off to do plot, leaving me with just Boris to hold the fort.

Oh well. I did somehow beat Greasus and Skarbrand to the Tzeentch soul, so I'm two for two so far. Nurgle and Slaanesh still to go.

Realm of Chaos is a neat idea, but I'm not sold on the implementation.

Valkia is certainly a scourge - she really bumped up the Kislev campaign difficulty when she was introduced. Ambushing her army is often the best way of handling her, and planting a Hallowed Wood in a good spot can be quite useful for that purpose. But RoC really emphasizes Kislev's need for more armies rather than better ones, especially with settlement defenses being largely neutered. Filling Katarin's army with Ice Guard and/or Boris' with War Bears are definite power jumps, because they become half-priced doom stacks, but getting there can be difficult and expensive. See what you can do to pare down the cost of what you have and stand up an army of Kossars, while preparing an army of Ice Guard (Glaives preferably) for the next soul. Slaanesh's realm tends to have easier combat than Nurgle, so I'd suggest trying for that one.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I bought the game on release, started a Greasus campaign, realized he Does Nothing in combat (well they've somewhat fixed that now I believe) and Ogre camps suck poo poo, quit after 15 hours, never played ROC since. Didn't end up ever seeing what the actual 4 realms of chaos look/play like either! I have like 50 hours in IE just in the past month though lol. Never got my Boris unlock, RIP.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I love fighting ogres. They're very fun to fight if you play an army with ranged units. Otherwise they absolutely loving suck to fight.

Dyeus
Apr 7, 2007

Orks iz da biggest and da strongest!
Seeing alot of youtubers saying the Changeling is confirmed LL for Tzeentch. Is this info they been given by CA or is it actually shown somewhere?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't think Changeling should be a LL. LH, maybe, or even its own Tzeentch-only campaign mechanic. But LL? Strange to think of it as leading an army.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

jokes posted:

I don't think Changeling should be a LL. LH, maybe, or even its own Tzeentch-only campaign mechanic. But LL? Strange to think of it as leading an army.

If Sniktch and Oxyotl can lead armies, so can the Changeling, I say. Especially when his main competitor I see talked about is just a blue armored normal chaos lord who rides a dragon

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I feel like the Changeling could have a lot of cool mechanics as a legendary lord.

Let him take the form of any legendary lord he's Defeated in battle. When taking their form he gets all their abilities and stuff, and can recruit units from their faction type to his army with some special mechanic, transcending the regular allied units limits.

Then let them attack people while in those guises to start wars between the disguised as faction and whoever they attack.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I hope he gets a new "Lies" mechanic where he can spend currency to tell Fibs (smallest lie), Lie (normal), Whale of a Tale (most powerful but expensive to tell)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Save up your Whales of a Tale so you can colonize a place and trick them all into becoming chaos cultists.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

I hope he gets a new "Lies" mechanic where he can spend currency to tell Fibs (smallest lie), Lie (normal), Whale of a Tale (most powerful but expensive to tell)

I like this for the mental image of the Changeling and a bunch of horrors in the room with a whiteboard, and brainstorming lies.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

jokes posted:

Save up your Whales of a Tale so you can colonize a place and trick them all into becoming chaos cultists.

This will increase the Tzeentch corruption in the region by 1 per turn

*dies to Khorne within 3*

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Dyeus posted:

Seeing alot of youtubers saying the Changeling is confirmed LL for Tzeentch. Is this info they been given by CA or is it actually shown somewhere?

It's not confirmed. CA published a short story when they revealed Yuan Bo and the short story featured Changeling and clickbaity youtubers started putting out videos saying Changeling is confirmed.

It could be Changeling but it's a bit boring if Cathay gets another Tzeentch enemy at the gates. Somewhere in Old World would be a fun new start for Tzeentch imo.

Besides they can pair Changeling with Monkey King as in the loading screen blurbs in WH3 at some point.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Started playing this recently and having a lot of fun as Kemmler. Love when my skelly boys are so densely packed around a rounting unit nobody can even swing and I need to disentangle them to finish them off, it really feels like commanding an army of boneheads.

I'm struggling to confederate the Red Duke and Mannfred despite being far, far more powerful and offering them tens of thousands in dark magic. I keep turning down their alliance offers since I heard that counterintuitively makes them harder to absorb, is that how it works?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ravenfood posted:

Can you do this with Daniel if you want anything approaching a decent Undivided roster?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

jokes posted:

I liked when they made two games where huge doomstacks appeared next to your settlements out of nowhere. I also really liked it when they make a whole thing in the high elf WH2 campaign about holding onto the big gates (pheonix gate, etc.) only to have doomstacks appear behind them when you start a ritual.

you can at least plan it out so you only do the rituals when you are ready since the AI doing rituals isn't that a big a deal. The portal mechanic absolutely sucked at first. The only way to deal with them originally was to have heroes on the ready to close them because, mercifully, they always spawn in the same places. As opposed to rituals, where you just fight a battle to stop the AI from winning, if an AI gets 4 souls before you, things get super annoying.

Kaal posted:

Valkia is certainly a scourge - she really bumped up the Kislev campaign difficulty when she was introduced. Ambushing her army is often the best way of handling her, and planting a Hallowed Wood in a good spot can be quite useful for that purpose. But RoC really emphasizes Kislev's need for more armies rather than better ones, especially with settlement defenses being largely neutered. Filling Katarin's army with Ice Guard and/or Boris' with War Bears are definite power jumps, because they become half-priced doom stacks, but getting there can be difficult and expensive. See what you can do to pare down the cost of what you have and stand up an army of Kossars, while preparing an army of Ice Guard (Glaives preferably) for the next soul. Slaanesh's realm tends to have easier combat than Nurgle, so I'd suggest trying for that one.

slaanesh's realm is often worth doing twice. Once to get the rewards (money + a particular weapon) and once again for the soul.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cranappleberry posted:

you can at least plan it out so you only do the rituals when you are ready since the AI doing rituals isn't that a big a deal. The portal mechanic absolutely sucked at first. The only way to deal with them originally was to have heroes on the ready to close them because, mercifully, they always spawn in the same places. As opposed to rituals, where you just fight a battle to stop the AI from winning, if an AI gets 4 souls before you, things get super annoying.

slaanesh's realm is often worth doing twice. Once to get the rewards (money + a particular weapon) and once again for the soul.

yeah but then I have to play RoC for another 20-30 turns and that's not happening. I aim for a brisk 120 turns

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i love it when weird poo poo happens

in my latest kislev game kraka drak have pushed back all their enemies and are comfortably chilling in their own province

i have never ever seen them survive past 20 turns before

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

in my latest kislev game kraka drak have pushed back all their enemies and are comfortably chilling in their own province

Seeing Border Princes begin their conquest of Khemri was fun once

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah that's odd they usually get their butts kicked by the Norsca troll guy real early. I've tried to save them before when playing dwarfs and it's never worked out.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Yeah I've never seen those dwarves survive. I try every run as Kislev to hold onto them but they just never make it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

bobtheconqueror posted:

Yeah that's odd they usually get their butts kicked by the Norsca troll guy real early. I've tried to save them before when playing dwarfs and it's never worked out.
KING OF TROLLS

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

If Sniktch and Oxyotl can lead armies, so can the Changeling, I say. Especially when his main competitor I see talked about is just a blue armored normal chaos lord who rides a dragon

It's going to be Tchar'zanek. People are hot for Tchar

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Dolash posted:

I'm struggling to confederate the Red Duke and Mannfred despite being far, far more powerful and offering them tens of thousands in dark magic. I keep turning down their alliance offers since I heard that counterintuitively makes them harder to absorb, is that how it works?
That advice dates back to TWW2 and may well no longer apply. I'd at least try giving them a defensive alliance and seeing if that helps.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Download an easy confederation mod, do whatever in your turn only, save before the end turn, and deactivate it lest the AI snowball immediately.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Playing as Ikit is fun-fun. No need to feel bad-sad about your rats dying, just be rat Oppenheimer, yes-yes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ErKeL posted:

Yeah I've never seen those dwarves survive. I try every run as Kislev to hold onto them but they just never make it.

I give them hell pit and park an army there, and occasionally sell them the oblasts that I don't want to keep anyway. They pay more for it than i'll make before someone razes it anyway.

I did an old boris campaign where I said "gently caress the wastes" and immediately did that for them, then set up shop in their old home province. Was a lot of fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I never used crane gunners in my Cathay IM campaign before, but I've got a couple on loan from Miao Ying in this Katarin RoC campaign and they feel remarkably useful. I feel like something I've struggled with as Kislev is picking off hard targets that are too small for little groms to be reliable against (like, say, Valkia whenever she comes knocking), but adding a couple of crane gunners has felt very handy.

Katarin's doom-ish stack consists of her, a patriarch specced for healing, a couple of little groms, a whole lot of ice guard with glaives, and now a couple of irondrakes and crane gunners each. Seems to be working very, very well, and now I can focus my money on kitting out Boris with all the bears.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

I give them hell pit and park an army there, and occasionally sell them the oblasts that I don't want to keep anyway. They pay more for it than i'll make before someone razes it anyway.
Honestly sometimes they fold fast enough that I can't conquer Hellpit quickly enough to even save them that way. Long term if you want them to live it seems like the only way, though. Also depends on how badly Drycha and Vlad bother you.

On the other hand if they do die Ungrim is usually easy enough to ally with as well. Still, saving the Kraka Drak dwarves is usually a fun side objective.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sindai posted:

That advice dates back to TWW2 and may well no longer apply. I'd at least try giving them a defensive alliance and seeing if that helps.

I actually am playing 2, I just saw there was the one thread. Maybe next Steam sale!

I'm sure I could just force it with a mod, but I was hoping to figure out how you're supposed to do it. I vassalized the orcs of Massif Orcal and I know that gives me a diplomacy penalty, but is it an absolute no to vassalize/confederate while they're around? I did also mange to confederate Vlad and Isabella, but they were down to one province and the empire had just destroyed their last army. Even then I had to pay them like 20k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Dolash posted:

I actually am playing 2, I just saw there was the one thread. Maybe next Steam sale!

I'm sure I could just force it with a mod, but I was hoping to figure out how you're supposed to do it. I vassalized the orcs of Massif Orcal and I know that gives me a diplomacy penalty, but is it an absolute no to vassalize/confederate while they're around? I did also mange to confederate Vlad and Isabella, but they were down to one province and the empire had just destroyed their last army. Even then I had to pay them like 20k.

Either this or over 300 positive relations should do it