Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Raygereio posted:

I think the the GTA trilogy remaster did something similar where they replaced the original RenderWare renderer with Unreal Engine 5's.

So sure, maybe it's technically feasible to rip out Gamebryo, while keeping Bethesda's own spaghetti code, and replacing with UE5. But it sounds like a nightmarish chimera.

So it's definitely something Bethesda is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Rinkles posted:

What do you all think of the plausibility of this? Oblivion rumored to be remastered in UE5, but still running on (from the sound of it) Gamebryo logic?

From Reddit, but supposedly the poster was verified by the mods to be working for the developer in question, Virtuous Games (big porting/support studio, that’s behind the MGS3 remake). The thread has since been deleted by OP.

Does it pass the smell test? It seemed like an unlikely or bad idea to me, but I don’t really know the technical reality.

skyrim was already a remaster of oblivion smh

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Fallout with swords smh

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Fallout with swords smh

chinese officers do NOT approve this message

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Posted this in the wrong thread before: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/82343

Real-time cubemaps and an option to implement working mirrors (though it has to be done manually per area and frankly I don't see anybody doing that atm).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Posted this in the wrong thread before: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/82343

Real-time cubemaps and an option to implement working mirrors (though it has to be done manually per area and frankly I don't see anybody doing that atm).

pretty nuts

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

pretty nuts

What a psycho way to wear a watch

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I think it's turned inward so the glowy hands aren't easily spotted in the dark

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
New mod attempting to fix the facegen in the game.

Results with NPC vary given that the facegen sliders weren't set to use these base heads, but it doesn't look bad. Might not be to everybody's tastes though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

This is the established ELITE OPERATOR way to wear a watch, I've played a lot of video games and seen how it's done

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i’m thinking of a possibly ill advised run through on xbox. are there any challenge run or randomizer/selector things i could use to assign some differences? i’m not under the impression that i could directly mod the game, just something with ideas for a run.

i guess also are there any notable pitfalls to avoid? like idk don’t use quicksave/quickload or anything?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

New mod attempting to fix the facegen in the game.

Results with NPC vary given that the facegen sliders weren't set to use these base heads, but it doesn't look bad. Might not be to everybody's tastes though.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/82147
The one changing the hair definitely looks a bit off though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/82147
The one changing the hair definitely looks a bit off though.

Yeah I've been testing them and looking around the NPCs and some of the haircuts are a little off in terms of look compared to the original, but as far as I can tell, you should be able to disable that and just keep the other parts of character kit without incompatibility?

Kinda like the results in my game though, with vanilla NPC facegen:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Just a heads up, I was following the viva new Vegas guide but didn’t disable my virus checker because that stuff always makes me a bit wary. When I downloaded the crashlogger I was warned that it contained a Trojan. It might be a false positive but better safe than sorry.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Star posted:

Just a heads up, I was following the viva new Vegas guide but didn’t disable my virus checker because that stuff always makes me a bit wary. When I downloaded the crashlogger I was warned that it contained a Trojan. It might be a false positive but better safe than sorry.

It's a false positive. DLL injection is how many trojans work, but it's also how many game mods work.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Star posted:

For what it's worth, Windows Defender identified it as malware for Android. And the positive flags over on Virustotal are basically "No idea what it is, but our AI/algorithm says it smells fishy".
So yeah, false positive. For the reason Arivia mentioned above.

That said: No idea the Viva guide tells you to add folder-exclusions for your anti-virus. Not a huge fan of that kind of advice.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The vast majority of the DLLs for NVSE are open-source and you can usually check the source code and even compile them yourself if you feel like doing so. Incidentally, I do think there is one NVSE plugin that can be used for exploits, but it's not recommended by VNV.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah, being wary is certainly reasonable and I wouldn't disable my antivirus either. It's just that really awkward confluence of both the crash logger and the antivirus doing what they're supposed to do perfectly, and the crashlogger LOOKS like a lot of suspicious stuff. It's just got to be that suspicious or it wouldn't work.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

It's a false positive. DLL injection is how many trojans work, but it's also how many game mods work.

Alright then, good to know. I’ll just skip it anyway though as it feels like something I can live without. The whole VNV setup has really been something else but I’m finally done with it. Amazed that you can install 100+ mods that smoothly.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Star posted:

Alright then, good to know. I’ll just skip it anyway though as it feels like something I can live without. The whole VNV setup has really been something else but I’m finally done with it. Amazed that you can install 100+ mods that smoothly.

Are you sure none of the mods you just installed require the thing you just skipped?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Zereth posted:

Are you sure none of the mods you just installed require the thing you just skipped?

We’ll see I guess but it only seems to log crash data to a text file in the install folder and empties the file every time the game starts.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah you need NVSE for most good mods. I wouldn't worry about antivirus or whatever too much as long as you're not using obscure mods or whatever. Script extenders have been a necessity since Oblivion/Morrowind days.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This is directly from the VNV Discord server if anybody's wondering:

Funnily enough, the plugin that could be used to inject malicious code I mentioned earlier *is* part of the guide now because it's a requirement for Delay DLC Redux lol (SUP NVSE for anybody wondering, though obviously that comes down to looking into the mods you install using it, so just using VNV with it won't suddenly cause problems).

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Anyone have any mod list recs for ttw? I’d like to have something that gives me all the essentials that I can then build on top of

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Anyone have any mod list recs for ttw? I’d like to have something that gives me all the essentials that I can then build on top of

The Best of Times.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
^ https://wastelandsurvivalguide.com/ builds off of the best of times guide and adds More Stuff - I've used both on my current run (along with a bunch more mods not in the guide I've added that somehow still work perfectly)

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I was actually thinking about wabbajack or that nexus mod list feature since I really don’t want to spend hours doing a manual setup.

Obv that’s not ideal but I’ve spent way too long on modding the game instead of playing it

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Obv that’s not ideal but I’ve spent way too long on modding the game instead of playing it
:hmmyes:

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I actually bought nexus premium for a month so I can just painlessly install via wabbajack bc the last time I tried to get back into NV it took like a week to get all the mods installed

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is there any benefit to siding with the powder gangers on a leigion run or should I just stick with Good Springs

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

fit em all up in there posted:

Is there any benefit to siding with the powder gangers on a leigion run or should I just stick with Good Springs

arguably if you're planning on role playing as someone who would be persuaded by the legion's philosophies holding up the law beyond a reasonable degree would be the more logical choice. however if you're just planning on being comically evil then sure. mechanically i doubt it makes any difference what so ever

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mechanically, no, but neither is there a benefit to siding with Goodsprings. Roleplaying wise, you can reason that allowing Powder gangers to assert themselves might indicate if some of them would make good legion soldiers / temporary puppets.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

It's not exactly siding with the powder gangers but if instead of helping Goodsprings you go off to the prison first, you can do a quest line and eventually help a group of NCR soldiers retake the prison. There's a lot of loot.

And IIRC then you can go and side with Goodsprings after that.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/82720

Just killed caesar and every legionary in the fort the other day and wished I could free the slaves - lo and behold!

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

https://youtu.be/WED4EFV4pVQ?feature=shared

Here comes more than 3 weapon mods per gun!
(Also released by the same guy in the last few days: true akimbo where you can dual wield any gun with any other gun: previous fnv dual wielding weapons were just normal weapons that had a dual wielding animation so they didn’t actually involve dual wielding)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

definitely cool but something that would require a tremendous amount of mesh work to get working with vanilla weapons, and then it would be a compatibility nightmare

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

watho posted:

definitely cool but something that would require a tremendous amount of mesh work to get working with vanilla weapons, and then it would be a compatibility nightmare

Hopefully once the documentation and the like come out it’ll explode

Every single custom weapon having its own animation set sounded implausible when knvse first came out and now it’s harder to find generic animation sets than it is to find weapon specific ones

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does anyone know of a mod that makes your reload speed depend on your Guns skill, rather than your agility stat? Or know how I could make that mod? I've made mods with GECK before, but I don't see any way to change that particular feature.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I'm not sure personally, but it feels like the kind of thing you could ask Stewie to add to his tweaks mod and he'd do it. He's got one of those suggestion pages on his mod pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I'm not sure personally, but it feels like the kind of thing you could ask Stewie to add to his tweaks mod and he'd do it. He's got one of those suggestion pages on his mod pages.

Yeah I checked and I was honestly surprised it wasn't in there already as an option.