Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Helping clear out an old persons home and we just tore up some carpet that was all over the first floor. Awful ugly blue carpet that’s probably older than me. Just awful poo poo. Relatives think it was laid down in the late 70s

Of course it’s nice hardwood under. Probably original to the house, 1920s construction.

Realtor who’s helping move it sure did like it. (They’re selling to pay for her end of life stuff)

Many people of that generation held and still hold the opinion that bare wood floors mean you're poor. My last house had perfect hardwood floors under trash tier tan rental apartment grade wall to wall carpet. The next door neighbor grew up there, and his brother was the one who sold the house. He said he (the brother) never did get over that whole wood floor thing. Weird, but thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've got mixed feelings. Hardwood looks good and is easy to clean, but carpeting is way more gentle on the feet, and when I'm in my own house a bit of comfort seems desirable.

There are rugs, of course, but they seem like a worse of both worlds sort of solution, constantly shifting around and getting bent over at the edges and collecting all the dirt from everywhere. Least you can take them outside and beat them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I've got mixed feelings. Hardwood looks good and is easy to clean, but carpeting is way more gentle on the feet, and when I'm in my own house a bit of comfort seems desirable.

There are rugs, of course, but they seem like a worse of both worlds sort of solution, constantly shifting around and getting bent over at the edges and collecting all the dirt from everywhere. Least you can take them outside and beat them.

Quality rugs, cleaned regularly along with the floors, placed on appropriate padding do none of those things. It is absolutely a much more expensive way to go and bare hardwood or even typical wall to wall carpeting, but quite nice if it's within your budget (a budget that can stretch to near infinity if you're buying hand tied antique turkish rugs). A more budget friendly possibility which also works well is to use regular wall to wall carpet but padded and with finished edges as area rugs. Most carpet installers (at least around here) can install this way for you.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
If it didn't instantly render your house unsellable / lower the price, I'd still swear by linoelum and just replace it on schedule like you're supposed to as it ages. I love that poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

If it didn't instantly render your house unsellable / lower the price, I'd still swear by linoelum and just replace it on schedule like you're supposed to as it ages. I love that poo poo.

I think linoleum gets a bad reputation because basically all of it that most people see should have been replaced multiple decades ago. It's not a bad feeling/working floor, it's just out of fashion at the moment.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

I think linoleum gets a bad reputation because basically all of it that most people see should have been replaced multiple decades ago. It's not a bad feeling/working floor, it's just out of fashion at the moment.

Honestly yeah - that's the problem. The stuff was supposed to be replaced like every 7 years or something; I forget the exact number. The stuff people see in older houses they tour has been there for 30+ years and is cracked and yellowing, never got any TLC, etc. Of course it looks like poo poo by that point. A bad reputation on a perfectly good floor finish. :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Rugs have the upside of being easier to clean and replace, you can take them with you when you move, and they tend to retain some value - if you're sick of a rug you can get some money back for it, you can't really do the same with carpet. This is better for people who may want to change styles more frequently than every 50 years. Rugs also let you add complimentary colors and styles to your floors, a lot of people will throw a rug down on top of carpet for decoration

I like carpet in bedrooms and bedroom-adjacent hallways, but I like tile or wood in living areas. I'm going to have rugs in those rooms either way

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

We had a mixture of rugs and hardwood in our last place. Our cats without fail would always find a way to throw up on the rugs.

I'm vetoing rugs in the new place and I fought to put down laminate throughout the house.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ruggables might not be the most plush or stylish, but their ease of cleaning has been a godsend during potty training.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There are times and places for posh, and there are times and places for practical. Toddlers and potty training is hardcore practical territory/time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
When my kid was younger we floor his room with a rubber tiled mat thing. Just the whole room. That stuff was honestly pretty nice in every regard. I would not mind doing my whole house with a permanent rubber tile floor, as stupid as that sounds. Soft to walk on, easy to clean, honestly if you didn't buy the cheap stuff we did it might even look nice if atypical.

Edit: Then again I also want to replace my attic with cathedral ceilings and install a network of metal rods across the house so I can crawl around on and hang furniture from the ceiling, so my judgement is almost certainly far worse than the previous paragraph makes it sound.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 30, 2023

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

the other thing is in the 60s/70s you saw material development so carpets (really rugs) weren’t just the province of the wealthy - and now the reverse is true, where actual hardwood (not LVP) is seen as more luxurious

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have three rugs, "because it really ties the room together", or something but half the area of the rug is covered by a sofa, coffee table or dining room table; all the messy/high traffic parts of the house are bare hardwood or 'engineered wood'

I got a ruggable for the office in my last house, it's pretty great, good investment. I thought they were a gimmick but it's actually a good, mostly toddler proof product

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

stealie72 posted:

Other option, just camouflage a motion activated wildlife camera that records to an SD card and don't worry about privacy.

yeah thinking about it more this is probably the way I'm going to go. any recs? all the ones on Amazon look basically the same so I feel like this is one of those situations where they actually are all the same and it's a bunch of companies rebranding the same hardware

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol did like 4hr of yard work this morning starting at 5am so I’d beat the sun. shouldn’t have neglected doing it after closing a couple weeks ago. poo poo grows fast

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hadlock posted:

We have three rugs, "because it really ties the room together", or something but half the area of the rug is covered by a sofa, coffee table or dining room table; all the messy/high traffic parts of the house are bare hardwood or 'engineered wood'

I got a ruggable for the office in my last house, it's pretty great, good investment. I thought they were a gimmick but it's actually a good, mostly toddler proof product

I just picture you watching your kid pee on a rug and lamenting "at least I'm housebroken"

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Sirotan posted:

I was in a similar situation and was considering salt, but learned that it's actually worse than commercial weed killer because it will literally kill everything in the ground, and cause it to be infertile for years to come. I ended up going with this product called Eraser Max and it works great. Highly recommended.

https://www.domyown.com/eraser-max-super-concentrate-herbicide-p-17313.html

I mean that's just basically pure Roundup, so yeah, it's gonna kill poo poo.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

CarForumPoster posted:

Very nice! I can almost smell the carpet from here. When we removed 1100 sq ft of late 80s vintage carpet from an old lady house, the house immediately stopped smelling like old lady. It was a 2 for 1!

Many buyers enjoy and even prefer an old lady smell I think you’ve made a real mistake here

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bird with big dick posted:

Many buyers enjoy and even prefer an old lady smell I think you’ve made a real mistake here

Sometimes I just think about your username

When I’m out on the town

When I’m in a grocery, do I want 80/20 beef or someth-“bird with big dick”

thank you for your service

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

right arm posted:

Lol did like 4hr of yard work this morning starting at 5am so I’d beat the sun. shouldn’t have neglected doing it after closing a couple weeks ago. poo poo grows fast

Must be a satisfied feeling, well done!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pmchem posted:

I just picture you watching your kid pee on a rug and lamenting "at least I'm housebroken"

oh by toddler proof i meant, my nephew has one in their living room and his bedroom and he smashes all sorts of toy trucks into it all the time pretty much constantly and it's held up just fine as a reliable floor covering, it's not junk quality fabric

CarForumPoster posted:

Sometimes I just think about your username

When I’m out on the town

When I’m in a grocery, do I want 80/20 beef or someth-“bird with big dick”

thank you for your service

same

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

I got home from work and noticed condensation running down the wall in the laundry area. This beautiful Gary masterpiece fell off the dryer at some point before or after we moved in.

edit: does Imgur not work anymore at all?

edit 2: posting images from a phone is a hassle

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 31, 2023

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You can't put the link to the HTML page in img tags, either grab the URL for the actual image or just URL tags to make it a link.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

neighbors water line is leaking everywhere. at least it’s in city property

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Had a hose fail while doing our annual tankless water heater flush. Had to clean up vinegar from all over the mechanical room.

Then off to Lowe's for new hoses.

Why do simple 30 minute jobs always take several hours and lots of cursing?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

MrLogan posted:

Why do simple 30 minute jobs always take several hours and lots of cursing?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My first job upon taking ownership of the house was replacing the front and back door locks with Schlage smart locks, a job which went pretty much textbook smoothly. I should have known that was an omen, not a sign of continued good things.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Update on the pride flag theft:
my neighbor from across the street walked over with the flagpole yesterday afternoon, I guess he had a party last night and someone he knew brought some other guy he barely knew who stole and destroyed the flag and threw the flagpole into my neighbor's garage. he felt really bad about it and is buying me a replacement and said that dude is no longer welcome in his house.

He also offered to weed whip the drainage ditch in front of my house since he just does a bunch of other neighbors already.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

quote:

Homeowners thread: Why do simple 30 minute jobs always take several hours and lots of cursing?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

my neighbor from across the street walked over with the flagpole yesterday afternoon, I guess he had a party last night and someone he knew brought some other guy he barely knew who stole and destroyed the flag and threw the flagpole into my neighbor's garage. he felt really bad about it and is buying me a replacement and said that dude is no longer welcome in his house.

He also offered to weed whip the drainage ditch in front of my house since he just does a bunch of other neighbors already.

Good ending. What a nice guy!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I can't imagine showing up for a party at a strangers house and then deciding not only to steal poo poo from their neighbors, but then toss the evidence into the hosts garage. What an absolute trash tier person.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

SpartanIvy posted:

I can't imagine showing up for a party at a strangers house and then deciding not only to steal poo poo from their neighbors, but then toss the evidence into the hosts garage. What an absolute trash tier person.

Same kind of person who would do this in the first place

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

:kimchi:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

loving amazing 180 from “oh crap one of my neighbors is poo poo” to “oh hey one of my neighbors is cool”.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I just noticed my downstairs bathroom lamp isn't centered.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Shifty Pony posted:

Is it an exhaust fan as well? Maybe it needed to be between joists?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

Time to burn down the house. You'll never unsee it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

raggedphoto posted:

Is it an exhaust fan as well? Maybe it needed to be between joists?

It is a light/fan combo so that's exactly why it isn't centered. Still going to see it every time I use the bathroom now.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Pony posted:

It is a light/fan combo so that's exactly why it isn't centered. Still going to see it every time I use the bathroom now.

Move the bathroom over, easy peasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Shifty Pony posted:

I feel your pain.

(It's not as bad back to front as this angle makes it look, but it's also not centered.)