Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
"I have no idea what I'm doing" is pretty much Phoenix's m.o. in a nutshell while he is the protagonist.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm pretty sure neither the badge nor the bullet would be magnetic. Bullets are chiefly lead or copper, and attorney's badges are silver and gold.

While those materials aren't ferromagnetic, they still interact with and distort a magnetic field.

They're also good conductors, so they must interact strongly with a changing magnetic field.

Fairly standard video example

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I almost added a "for the colloquial definition of 'magnetic', i.e. ferromagnetic and absent an external field" disclaimer to my post, but I figured no one would be pedantic enough to point that out.

I've been outplayed. :(

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I almost added a "for the colloquial definition of 'magnetic', i.e. ferromagnetic and absent an external field" disclaimer to my post, but I figured no one would be pedantic enough to point that out.

I've been outplayed. :(

:shrug: That's how a metal detector works, it's incredibly relevant right now.

Although I wish the correct solution was indeed to put the attorney badge on von Karma's old wound and make it stick.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I am aware of how a metal detector works and that the physical process involves magnetic pulses, but its reaction is triggered by electrically conductive materials, i.e. metals, which include the prime components of both bullets and badges. I don't think it's a material distinction with regard to the initial question!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I played Aviary Attorney before ever playing watching someone else play Ace Attorney. Kinda missed out on certain allusions.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Xander77 posted:

I played Aviary Attorney before ever playing watching someone else play Ace Attorney. Kinda missed out on certain allusions.

Did a parrot take the stand?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This is one of my favorite lines in the series and perfectly encapsulates the experience.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

theshim posted:

This is one of my favorite lines in the series and perfectly encapsulates the experience.

Mia, you're talking to a guy that put a bird on the stand in a case where a guilty verdict already got declared, this is positively boring in comparison.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You'll be singing a different tune when it turns out the bullet was the mastermind of the case and von Karma was merely an unwitting patsy obeying its orders.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The bullet was possessed by the ghost of the person Yogi fired the gun at the previous day.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I believe metal detection is based on conductivity, not magnetism.

Bah, ninja'd by an entire page of discussion about this that got posted in the time i took to post. Foiled again!

So how exactly does one go about not getting a bullet wound treated? Can you just leave a bullet in your body and be perfectly fine? That seems... unsafe, and noticeable by the people around you.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 30, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

If I understand correctly, removing a lodged bullet is not necessarily safe either, and it is possible for the bullet to settle inside the body and not be a further risk.

So basically Manfred got lucky as the bullet didn't strike anything unreplaceable, he walked off the wound with a lot of home rest (plus industrial consumption of antibiotics one assumes and maybe some homemade stitching), and the bullet settled nicely.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
He also might be like that James Bond villain Reynard from World is Not Enough. Bullet inside his body he refuses to remove as a reminder of his past errors and it’s messing with his head.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

So how exactly does one go about not getting a bullet wound treated? Can you just leave a bullet in your body and be perfectly fine? That seems... unsafe, and noticeable by the people around you.

There are advantages and disadvantages, and it's actually still a contentious issue in medical research. If the bullet is not near a major artery, etc. and is not actively causing infection, then it was actually pretty common to leave the bullet in, because removing the bullet may cause further scarring and damaging muscles/tissue that were regenerating around the bullet.

There's also the fact bullets don't always remain intact in a bullet wound, and it's even more traumatic to go poking around looking for bullet shards.

That said, recent research suggests the bullets in wounds may actually be a cause of lead poisoning, so it's not like it's entirely safe either. And the fact that research is recent indicates that it's still under debate.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Truthkeeper posted:

To add what others have said, Theodore Roosevelt, after getting shot by a would-be assassin, kept that bullet inside him the rest of his life (another 7 years). As it had only made it as far as chest muscle and not into the pulmonary pleurae or lungs, doctors basically decided it was better to leave it in than try to operate and exacerbate things. This was especially relevant since Roosevelet's presidential predecessor, William McKinley, had died more of a result of the operation to try and remove the bullets from his body (i.e. the wounds had not been cleaned or drained and thus gangrene happened) rather than the injuries from actually being shot.

More anecdotally, the father of a classmate of mine in elementary school was paralyzed from the waist down in a hunting accident. The bullet was lodged near his spine and was never removed because doctors were concerned that if they tried to operate, it could result in him becoming quadraplegic. Granted this was the 1990s, I don't know if surgery has advanced to the point they can be more precise with such things these days, but it's generally all situational.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Incidentally, a neat detail about Manfred.

The flashback suggests that Manfred was struck around his shoulder by the stray bullet Edgeworth fired.

It's not immediately apparent in a still image, but whenever Manfred folds his arm like this, the animation gives him a habit of tensing his fingers in his right arm. He also grimaces a lot more whenever he's doing this.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, if we're pointing to Manfred's animations, he also did this yesterday:

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 115: Episode 4, Final Day, Trial: Lost and Found

Wow, apparently everyone was excited about this vote, despite it not being all that close; we eclipsed our last high for voters by 30%!

A useful detection device, indeed...

So then, I ask, where is that bullet now?

...!
Sound: Light Bulb

You... you don't mean!

I do.

Sound: Desk Slam

Sound: Objection

quote:

The failures this late in the game are short and to the point.

What exactly is that?
Sound: Realization

Er... Sorry.

Judge, if you would?

Right. Penalty!
Sound: Damage 2

(I'm really not sure how I've managed to make it this far...)
Sound: Whoops

Mr. Wright, please reconsider your evidence.

Y-yes, Your Honor.

We get a penalty, but get to keep trying...

Sound: Gallery

Sound: Gavel x 3

Sound: Whack

Well, there's one way to find out.

Well, von Karma?

Sound: Drama Pound

We've finally broken through on Karma!

I... refuse!

Y-you refuse...!?

But, refusing this means...
Sound: Stab

Sound: Guilty

Order! Order! Order!

It was you who said we had to end it right here, right now!

Mm... mmmph!

Sound: Gavel

Music: Silence

Enough!

I permit the use of the metal detector.

Taking a step back here, wow what a violation of Karma's rights. There's no actual evidence against him or reason to search him. The judge is just going along with Phoenix's wild conjectures. Which I guess is fair because the judge has been going along with whatever Karma wanted up until now...

Nick! What does this mean...?

Sound: Beep

I was curious, but a metal detector would, in fact, pick up on a bullet. It really does rely just on metal's conductivity rather than something strictly being magnetic. (Multiple people in the thread pointed out this fact as well.)

Fun fact: All of Karma's animations only move his left arm; his right arm remains motionless. Including when we got tased the day before.

(The bullet!)

Mr. von Karma...?

You!

And so, I remained silent.

Music: Suspense

...?

Indeed, there is a bullet in my shoulder.

Prove it! We're the prosecuters now! (Oh wait, we're not, we're still going to have to prove it ourselves.)

What!?

I was shot in the shoulder long before the DL-6 Incident!

Sound: Fwa-Shing 2

"Prove"?

I have no obligation to prove anything!

Life as prosecutor in Ace Attorney land, everyone.

Not I.

M-Mr. Wright?

Well? Can you prove it?

Depends on how bloody you're willing to get.

Of course he can't!

All but one piece, thanks to Maya. And I think it's all we'll need.

So sorry, Mr. Wright.

Phoenix has got this one all on his own.

Wh-what!?

You were close... one day away from freedom.

Wh-what!?
Sound: Stab

I can link that bullet in your shoulder to the DL-6 Incident...

This would be proof, if the judge will allow us to dig that other bullet out of Karma's shoulder. Would the ballistic markings on the bullet in Karma be intact after all these years? Let's find out!

Th-that's...

quote:

The final failure:

N-Nick...?

Umm... If this is your final proof, don't you think you should choose a little better?
Sound: Whoops

Huh? You mean, that was the wrong evidence?

Everyone looks kinda puzzled...

Mr. Wright.

(Uh oh, he's really mad.)

I think you'd better dig out the right evidence, and quick!

R-right!

You got lucky, von Karma, but this next one is the real evidence, okay!?

I can link that bullet in your shoulder to the DL-6 Incident...

And here's my final proof!

I like how the judge silently penalizes us this time. Anyway we loop here for another try at it.

Music: Pressing Pursuit - Cornered

Time for my favorite track, the "you're about to win" theme.

This is the bullet used in the DL-6 Incident.

The callback to using ballistic markings - explained on the first day of trial - is a very nice touch here, even if it was spoiled a bit when we first acquired the bullet.

Ballistic markings...

Sound: Wipe

It came up in the first trial, two days ago.

All bullets fired from a gun are marked with that weapon's unique pattern.

It's quite accurate.

We have two bullets in our possession.

We could analyze both bullets...

Then, if the markings matched...

Mmmph... mmmph!

Mr. von Karma?

The statute of limitations runs out today, after all. We must do everything we can to find the killer today!

And solve this case once and for all!

Mmmrrrrrrgggh!

Sound: Damage 2 x 3
Sound: Drama Pound x 2

Now Karma done hosed up. We're about to have some real evidence we can use today.

After all, we still have a witness on the stand.

Wait... I know!

Music: Recollection ~ The DL-6 Incident

"Quiet! I said quiet! You're not making this any easier!"

"Stop breathing my air! I'll... I'll stop you!"

"Stop breathing my aaaaair!"

Sound: Weak Gunshot

Sound: Stab 2

Fifteen years ago...

Mr. von Karma?

Sound: Roar x 2

Sound: Roar x 3

Sound: Roar x 3

Sound: Roar

Hey, look at you with your right arm elevated, good for you man.

Sound: Desk Slam x 3

Sound: Desk Slam x 16

Sound: Desk Slam x 6

Uh, suffice to say there were too many headbangs in there for me to capture in a GIF. Hold on, let me put a smaller one on loop for you all..

Given this prosecution office, I assume the error is getting caught, rather than faking evidence itself.

I... was careless.

I'm sorry, but you will have to be penalized.

:sigh:

...!
Sound: Shock 2

Edgeworth!!!

I don't really need the Karma characterization here guys, we know he's an evil dick.

Me? Penalized!?

He was so shocked he didn't even realize an earthquake had happened.

Suddenly, I found myself in the darkness...

I was in the court records room.

"How can I fake some more evidence to cover up my prior faking evidence?"

The room was pitch black. The lights must have gone out.

I pressed the button, but nothing happened.

Then... there was a noise!

Hold up. Did the lights not go out in the court records room until several hours after the earthquake? Or did Karma stand at the elevator door in a fog for hours until he got shot? Wasn't it five hours that Edgeworth and crew were trapped in that elevator? Eh, I guess it doesn't matter at this point.

Elevator: We have detected a gunshot, I guess we should open the door now.

Much to my surprise, a pistol lay at my feet.

I knew then... it was destiny.

Now, isn't that the same animation as in the prologue? So you think it was showing the DL-6 Incident the whole time? Left-handed shooters are probably pretty rare...

He died, never knowing who had shot him.

Later, he spoke through a medium, blaming Mr. Yogi.

Tsk tsk tsk...

Sound: Fwa-Shing 2

Music: Trial

Judge!

Wh-what?

What are you doing!?

Now! End it!

V-very well.

"Mr. Wright, I never want to see you in my courtroom again, your trials give me a headache."

Fifteen years later...

Mr. Miles Edgeworth?

Yes, Your Honor.

Innocent of the DL-6 Incident fifteen years ago. And innocent of the Hammond killing three days ago.

Yes, Your Honor.

Sound: Guilty x 2

Sound: Gallery Cheer

:toot: Edgeworth, you owe us big time.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Karma has found and punished von Karma, at long last.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Don't make me agree with the bad guy, game. I don't think you can force someone to get surgery in order to produce evidence. :dogstare:

von Karma is a terrible person, for sure, but I have to wonder if he would've committed murder were the situation not perfectly gift wrapped for him and he was shot moments prior, which only put him in an aggressive state of mind.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Don't make me agree with the bad guy, game. I don't think you can force someone to get surgery in order to produce evidence. :dogstare:

von Karma is a terrible person, for sure, but I have to wonder if he would've committed murder were the situation not perfectly gift wrapped for him and he was shot moments prior, which only put him in an aggressive state of mind.

Well, he was the one who planned Hammond's murder almost 15 years later, just so he could frame Edgeworth.

I completely forgot (or never quite grokked) that von Karma apparently wandered around in the dark for hours before it registered to him that the lights were out. He was really out of ot, apparently.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not sure if surgery warrants are a thing, but I'm assuming there's no precedent for what the proper course of action is if a prosecutor demands the speedy and thorough resolution of a trial because it is on the last day of its statute of limitations, and that same prosecutor is later credibly accused of concealing evidence within his own body. I think it falls under the universal court room drama "no backsies" clause, where if one party makes an extraordinary demand and has it sustained, it will remain in effect once the tide inevitably turns against them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Man, Japanifornia v. Edgeworth is gonna make for some fuckin wild citations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
So many players completely forgot about the metal detector until this point and had their brains explode when they realized what they were going to do.

These games are bananas on toast wild, and I love it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You made it, Phoenix. :toot:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love that the metal detector comes back in such a creative way. It always remains kind of confusing how Phoenix treats items in the court record as his inventory even if he doesn't actually have them anymore, but this is one of those parts of the game that blows my mind.

The foreshadowing with Von Karma's posture is also great (though I misremembered which arm it was and thought he was always clutching his left arm in pain)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

To be fair, the judge okayed the use of the metal detector for that reaction, not surgery. It's noninvasive, and the only issue would be if Von Karma had a pacemaker or similar implanted medical device, which he could disclose in private with the judge if necessary.

Surgery is particularly more thorny, but the judge doesn't specifically allow it - Karma confesses before the judge needs to make a call one way or the other.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Man, if I ever have to go on trial, I am so hiring Phoenix Wright.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

achtungnight posted:

Does... Phoenix even get paid?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

achtungnight posted:

You have to be innocent though. Ace Attorney Agency policy. :P

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yet another benefit!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I love how... Telenovela all this series is. It's gorgeous. Absolutely delicious.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Does... Phoenix even get paid?

The big mystery of the series.
I mean, I assume Will Powers and Edgeworth weren't pro bono cases even if the latter is absolutely getting a family and friends discount and then some.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Does Phoenix get to charge Edgeworth for two trials here? He did just get the guy declared "Not Guilty" twice in one day...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Omobono posted:

The big mystery of the series.
I mean, I assume Will Powers and Edgeworth weren't pro bono cases even if the latter is absolutely getting a family and friends discount and then some.

I think the answer is yes, but not much. He still has the office, and we know Grossberg also has an office, so defense lawyers do get paid. Presumably Phoenix is also doing some boring cases of little note between the big cases as well to keep the lights on. He's certainly not wealthy, but he's not starving either. Presumably as his reputation rises, he'll get more high profile folks who will pay him more, but we'll see how his financial situation pans out as the series progresses.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
At the very least, he's probably making more than poor Gumshoe.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Dirk the Average posted:

I think the answer is yes, but not much. He still has the office, and we know Grossberg also has an office, so defense lawyers do get paid. Presumably Phoenix is also doing some boring cases of little note between the big cases as well to keep the lights on. He's certainly not wealthy, but he's not starving either. Presumably as his reputation rises, he'll get more high profile folks who will pay him more, but we'll see how his financial situation pans out as the series progresses.

Possibly, but he does mention there were no cases between Mia's death and Will Power's framing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've said it before, and I still stand by it: Phoenix is well compensated, but there are months between each trial so he ends up working like 12 days a year, in order to keep up his cartoonishly poor anime protagonist lifestyle. We have yet to see any text that contradicts this, nor indications of any smaller trials or other side hustles.

and frankly, I have a lot of respect for that