Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJB4hbGUjw4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Honest question - wouldn't it be better to use the drones to target military bases in Moscow where they store missiles and drones, rather than aiming them at government buildings? I know that Ukraine wants to scare Russians to convince them to protest against the war and have Putin pull out, but I think it's just going to make them angry and not help much in the long run

As has been stated like fifty times in the past few pages, but I know you don't read, we don't actually know what the intended target was because Russia claimed they shot it down with EW and it just happened to crash into that office. If they WERE targeting that building, they likely were wanting to blow up the defense offices near there.

It's still a hell of a lot more relevant targetting than what Russia does.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Bertha the Toaster posted:

If this is true it really sells the message of "we did it once with ease and we can do it again any time we want".
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1686195481905410049

Guys, I don't think the Russians intercepted that drone.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

beer_war posted:

That's just what the lamestream media wants you to think, westoid.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

beer_war posted:

The missile was successfully intercepted by an office building.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

The missile was successfully intercepted by an office building.

thats what we call "ground-based air defenses"

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
No better way to demonstrate the impotence of the russian defense forces than to repeatedly 9/11 drones into government ministry offices in the center of the imperial capital with impunity

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

No better way to demonstrate the impotence of the russian defense forces than to repeatedly 9/11 drones into government ministry offices in the center of the imperial capital with impunity

:doh: did anyone say "sir a second drone has hit the tower" yet

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

tiaz posted:

:doh: did anyone say "sir a second drone has hit the tower" yet

Ukraine War: A second drone has hit the tower

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Kchama posted:

As has been stated like fifty times in the past few pages, but I know you don't read, we don't actually know what the intended target was because Russia claimed they shot it down with EW and it just happened to crash into that office. If they WERE targeting that building, they likely were wanting to blow up the defense offices near there.

I'm not ready to believe the whole "we jammed the drone and it wasn't able to hit the real target" thing yet. The Russians have to say SOMETHING, but when can we ever take them at face value? When have they ever not spun something for propaganda?

To Willo's question: from the Ukrainian perspective, I do think there's value in this kind of attack, but only if done sparingly. While the majority of their weapons need to be used on hard military targets, popular support is what keeps the war alive. By hitting Russia in the heart of its golden immortal city, Ukraine can undermine the Russian narrative and show to the people that they're being lied to.

At the same time, they have to be careful about what in Moscow they target. Anything Civilian would (I can't overstress this: rightly) be seen as a war crime. I could also see that fueling war support if they hit the Kremlin directly. Hitting an empty government building twice to make Russians question their worldview is definitely worth trying when all Ukraine wants is to end the war.

But as far as I know the Ukrainians haven't officially commented on whether or not there was a different "real" target, and we may never know.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

:sickos:

Vaginaface posted:

I'm not ready to believe the whole "we jammed the drone and it wasn't able to hit the real target" thing yet. The Russians have to say SOMETHING, but when can we ever take them at face value? When have they ever not spun something for propaganda?

To Willo's question: from the Ukrainian perspective, I do think there's value in this kind of attack, but only if done sparingly. While the majority of their weapons need to be used on hard military targets, popular support is what keeps the war alive. By hitting Russia in the heart of its golden immortal city, Ukraine can undermine the Russian narrative and show to the people that they're being lied to.

At the same time, they have to be careful about what in Moscow they target. Anything Civilian would (I can't overstress this: rightly) be seen as a war crime. I could also see that fueling war support if they hit the Kremlin directly. Hitting an empty government building twice to make Russians question their worldview is definitely worth trying when all Ukraine wants is to end the war.

But as far as I know the Ukrainians haven't officially commented on whether or not there was a different "real" target, and we may never know.

I agree with you. Ukraine has been pretty cautious about target selection, and being on the receiving end of terror bombing this whole time they're probably well aware that it doesn't really work, and even if not they can't afford to antagonize their NATO partners.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HonorableTB posted:

Ukrainian railroads are a different gauge than Russian ones and Ukraine specifically spent a lot of time, money, and energy tearing up railroad crossings from Russia into Ukraine to make it harder for an invasion to move supplies by rail in the event Russia captured Ukrainian railway hubs. Ukrainian gauge is 1520mm (known as broad gauge) and Russia uses 1524mm and is called the "Russian gauge" because Russia was paranoid about invaders using Soviet railways, ironically. Even if they used every bit of logistics capacity on the border of eastern Ukraine and western Russia, they'd still hit that bottleneck. It's one of the reasons why they jumped off the invasion in the east after moving in to occupy Luhansk and Donetsk oblasts first where they already had control. It let Russia use the Ukrainian rails and rolling stock to aid the initial push

russia has the gauge it has because a czar hired some american guy to build russia's first railroad, and he used that specific gauge

fear of invasions or the soviet union had nothing to do with it

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
Would a 4mm difference in gage keep them from using the Ukrainian rails? I have a hard time believing they are that precise in the field.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Sad Oligarch is going to run way longer than Megacorp; gg Jake.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.

winnydpu posted:

Would a 4mm difference in gage keep them from using the Ukrainian rails? I have a hard time believing they are that precise in the field.

After a cursory wiki search, apparently it is not as big of a deal as we are making it out to be. The 4mm is within tolerance for both types.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_ft_and_1520_mm_gauge_railways

“If the gauge of the rolling stock is kept within certain limits, through running between 1,520 mm (4 ft 11+27⁄32 in) railways and Finnish 1,524 mm (5 ft) railways is allowed. Since both 1,520 and 1,524 mm are within tolerances, the difference is tolerable.”

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
my balls aren't worried enough to attract the nukes any advice

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Bertha the Toaster posted:

If this is true it really sells the message of "we did it once with ease and we can do it again any time we want".

:siren: P E A R L C L U T C H I N G I N T E N S I F I E S :siren:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

my balls aren't worried enough to attract the nukes any advice

Have you tried powering up?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

beer_war posted:

Random rear end poo poo

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

russia has the gauge it has because a czar hired some american guy to build russia's first railroad, and he used that specific gauge

fear of invasions or the soviet union had nothing to do with it

hah hot drat, you're right. I looked it up and that's a popular belief but ultimately a myth. Thanks for correcting

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I'm waiting to hear Steven Seagull was lost after Ukrainian forces moved into such-and-such.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Plan R posted:

I'm waiting to hear Steven Seagull was lost after Ukrainian forces moved into such-and-such.

he will not be snatching every muthafuckin birthday

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Willo567 posted:

Honest question - wouldn't it be better to use the drones to target military bases in Moscow where they store missiles and drones, rather than aiming them at government buildings? I know that Ukraine wants to scare Russians to convince them to protest against the war and have Putin pull out, but I think it's just going to make them angry and not help much in the long run

The long-range drones have a payload of maybe as much as 5kg. Better to make a statement in the heart of Moscow with that than to start a small fire on a supply dump. Hitting an airbase and taking out a Tu-22 would be great, but those bases are probably the best defended pieces of Russian soil.

It's actually plausible that the Kremlin isn't lying when they said they EW'd that drone. Hypothetical: They jammed the first one and it went off course and it hit that building. The next night, another drone comes in for the same original target, they jam it, and here we are again.

Still, I appreciate very much that they're only hitting government targets. I do not like the risk assessment they did. Any chance of killing Russian citizens is too much. It's not fair, but I get paid to say, "what's the worst that could happen?" When the answer is "your foreign support dries up", that's a huge risk. They might have private assurances, but they don't hold any weight with the voting base of a democracy, certainly not with Russia waving the bloody shirt through every possible medium.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

I can't believe the US has done this

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Another tragic day for empty office building, drug addict comedian zelensky bombing dombass children now this

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

HonorableTB posted:

Mods? Weg?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

I'm at work so that's stolen from reddit, I would've made it with monke

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
lmfao holy poo poo well i appreciate ukraine clarifying their intentions (to hit government buildings on sunday when everyone's at home) and capabilities (whenever the gently caress they want)

tbh this is kind of a hilarious echo of all those times russia turned off power in kyiv on independence day for no other reason than bullshit psychological warfare and i somehow doubt that parallel is lost on everyone in the theater

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The secret overlords running our simulation took shortcuts on the programming, so its all just pseudorandom. The drone came from the same direction, got jammed at the same place, so it crashed into the same building. Bet there's just crashed drones piling up on that office floor.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Vaginaface posted:

Sure, but they don't have to tell the truth about what was hit. If civilians WERE hit, they would have screamed it as loudly as possible and raged and declared it TIME FOR NUKES!. But they didn't. So clearly, the Ukrainians didn't hit civilians. Like, even if non-military government people were killed, it'd be something they'd rage about at the top of their lungs. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if they told the truth as far as they believe, since it lets them be smug.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/UKikaski/status/1686133268809195520

quote:

Russian Propaganda Mil-Analyst Rybar: ruZZian attempts to eliminate AFU incursions on the left bank of occupied Kherson have failed

"A very unpleasant situation is developing near the Antonovsky bridge, where Ukrainian formations not only hold a bridgehead, but also try to move deep into the territory on the left bank of the Dnieper.

Despite the systematic fire strike, the enemy reaches the southernmost islands, and artillery from Sadovoe on the right bank delivers harassing blows on the northern outskirts of Aleshki.

The problem of the presence of the enemy on the left bank of the Dnieper has not gone away: attacks do not seem to pose a serious threat, but due to their systematic nature, they are dangerous in the future. Perhaps the countermeasures being taken are not effective enough, and now is the time to change something."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The secret overlords running our simulation took shortcuts on the programming, so its all just pseudorandom. The drone came from the same direction, got jammed at the same place, so it crashed into the same building. Bet there's just crashed drones piling up on that office floor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejlgsSGkI30

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
idk the full story of what's going on there, but Russian bloggers have been complaining for a month now about what is going on on the left bank around the antonovsky bridge. every week it's a new series of posts about 'ukrainians maintain a bridgehead on the left bank, the situation is difficult and unfortunate and we can't dislodge them.'

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

HonorableTB posted:

Tsar Wars: Return of the DJI

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Apparently, Russian milbloggers have gotten a stern warning from Kreml about reporting on successful Ukrainian attacks and used Girkin to set an example - so I think we'll get a lot less info on whats going on going forward. We all know we couldn't take any of them at face value, but we did get a lot of complaining too

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

Kchama posted:

Maybe that building is special Russian technology that attracts drones so they don't hit their intended targets

bratwurst massage fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 1, 2023

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

HonorableTB posted:

hah hot drat, you're right. I looked it up and that's a popular belief but ultimately a myth. Thanks for correcting

I heard the exact same but for Finland, maybe it's true for them?

Edit: guess not, Finland also uses the russian gauge

Somaen fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 1, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Somaen posted:

I heard the exact same but for Finland, maybe it's true for them?

Uhh.

e: To elaborate, Finnish railway was established by Russia, to be five feet (1 524mm) just as in Russia. The Soviet Union decided that feet were more Western imperialist than millimeters, so they "changed" their gauge to 1 520mm in the entire Union, including Ukraine. Finland kept the original gauge. There is no functional difference between five feet and 1 520mm (if it even exists), trains can handle a four-millimetre difference just fine and have done so daily for decades.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 1, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Anders posted:

Apparently, Russian milbloggers have gotten a stern warning from Kreml about reporting on successful Ukrainian attacks and used Girkin to set an example - so I think we'll get a lot less info on whats going on going forward. We all know we couldn't take any of them at face value, but we did get a lot of complaining too

:qqsay: Stop telling everyone about what's going on, you're making us look bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Could somebody explain to me like I'm five why there's a shitton of hillaries in here? What on earth does she have to do with anything?