Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is there a thread to post about Mali, Burkina Faso and Guinea pledging to defend Niger?

Is it too soon for the disinformation/immunology/early childhood education/Ukraine experts to pivot to that or will whatever happens receive the same level of attention as the Ethiopian Civil War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
very easy winning war where you somehow kill more troops the enemy has fielded and still have to beg for everything or you would lose right now

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

Is there a thread to post about Mali, Burkina Faso and Guinea pledging to defend Niger?

Is it too soon for the disinformation/immunology/early childhood education/Ukraine experts to pivot to that or will whatever happens receive the same level of attention as the Ethiopian Civil War?

africa thread but also here

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
you know 100% it's linking up

Akaiku
May 17, 2013
Unprompted chiming in reminder, reading the bad threads is, in fact, bad.

Those residential buildings were no angels.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Good news for Russia:

https://twitter.com/IranObserver0/status/1685911954538307585?t=CjGPI9U5JrkroLQI3rQTrg&s=19

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm not entirely certain on the first part as violent mobs of priests and monks (often castrated) were common in the east but very rarely happened in the west. It would be regional, I think. To your second point, that's kind of the tip of the iceberg. In the east there was a tend to have very extreme communities that did wild poo poo in the name of asceticism and formed monastic communities outside of state or ecclesiastical control. Regulating their behaviour was a constant annoyance for both church and state.

Sort-of, and that's why these groups felt justified in taking it to extremes, since Emulation of Christ is the highest calling. There's a real shift after Constantine where Christians have to regulate the behaviour of other Christians and you can practically feel their frustration in some of the sources. They agree that Jesus said or did XYZ, but was it necessary to hold up the procession for Saint So-and-So because women had their shoulders uncovered? That sort of thing.

neat, thanks. some of this, and what i know of other christian sects, seems to map onto the idea that actually emulating christ does not create a long lasting community. like you cant give everything away and totally devote yourself to others and never do violence etc etc if your neighbors are all emphatically not doing that. like with the shakers not having kids, youre fundamentally gonna be at a disadvantage there when it comes to having a long lasting belief system

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
:france: :stonklol:

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

:getin:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Frosted Flake posted:

Cuttlefush posted:

africa thread but also here

ya africa thread.

also:

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/SecBlinken/status/1685787484309917696?s=20

https://www.barrons.com/news/niger-military-intervention-would-be-declaration-of-war-on-burkina-faso-and-mali-joint-statement-d8285fae

quote:

Niger Intervention Would Be 'Declaration Of War' On Burkina Faso And Mali: Statement
By AFP - Agence France Presse
July 31, 2023

Any military intervention in Niger to restore deposed President Mohamed Bazoum would be considered a "declaration of war against Burkina Faso and Mali", the two countries said in a joint statement Monday.

The governments of Niger's two neighbours, both the result of recent military coups, made the comments after West African leaders threatened to use "force" to reinstate Bazoum and slapped financial sanctions on the putschists.

"Any military intervention against Niger would be tantamount to a declaration of war against Burkina Faso and Mali," the two countries warned.

They said the "disastrous consequences of a military intervention in Niger... could destabilise the entire region".

The two also said they "refuse to apply" the "illegal, illegitimate and inhumane sanctions against the people and authorities of Niger".

Guards chief General Abdourahamane Tiani has declared himself leader of Niger -- but his claim has been shunned internationally and the West African bloc ECOWAS has given him a week to hand back power.

Niger is the third Sahel country in less than three years, following Mali and Burkina Faso, to be shaken by a military coup.

In a separate statement, Guinea -- whose government was also the result of a coup -- expressed its "disagreement with the sanctions recommended by ECOWAS, including military intervention".

It said it had "decided not to apply these sanctions, which it considers illegitimate and inhumane", and urged ECOWAS to "reconsider its position".

some kind of regional bloc of Niger, Mali, Burkina Faso, Guinea and Algeria might be forming?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bring it in, guys!

All of Pan-Africa comes in for a HUGE party!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
more german pipelines needs blown up to teach these pesky africans a rules-based lesson

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a government that bans opposition parties, bans an entire religion, and incorporates nazis with a national holiday for their flagship nazi dead patriarch would definitely never do any of these things

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
that guy is so dumb. and making some of it up? idk if anything ended up being real.

uh, how's peg leg

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
pretty sure algeria can destroy every ECOWAS country put together.

blood for the blood god! cold war 2! please people of africa fight each other for no good reason all over again for a bunch of racist whites!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
if you take out mali, guinea, burkina faso and niger that's about half of west africa gone there

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
God protect the people of Niger! I hope that Prigozhin can get there before it's too late

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Al-Saqr posted:

pretty sure algeria can destroy every ECOWAS country put together.

blood for the blood god! cold war 2! please people of africa fight each other for no good reason all over again for a bunch of racist whites!

they're banding together, not fighting each other? unless I'm missing something

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

crepeface posted:

they're banding together, not fighting each other? unless I'm missing something

oh buddy....

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
also didn't algeria say coup bad? things are uh, dynamic. time for form a jagged alliance

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Akaiku posted:

Unprompted chiming in reminder, reading the bad threads is, in fact, bad.

Those residential buildings were no angels.

Yes but at least when I see the monstrous things they say in there I will... Know they're monsters when they also say monstrous things elsewhere?

Maybe I should stop reading it

(It was pretty funny seeing an argument that yes the Soviets earnestly believed NATO would invade given the chance... But wrongly. If only they were rational they would see America has no ill will for communism around the world!)

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

drat, I'm sure supplying Niger will be easy as pie, look, those two countries just border each other.

what's a sahara?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So what about this coup has the Rules Based International Order tm, upset? Its.not like they didn't coup an African government for getting close to China in the past year

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

January 6 Survivor posted:

drat, I'm sure supplying Niger will be easy as pie, look, those two countries just border each other.

what's a sahara?

pretty sure the algerians know how to use the sahara and have already developed the logistics networks considering they fought both an anti-colonial struggle and an insurgency.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

KomradeX posted:

So what about this coup has the Rules Based International Order tm, upset? Its.not like they didn't coup an African government for getting close to China in the past year

uranium and russia

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

i've been posting in the mideast/africa thread

big wars and few posts

the NAFO guys are talking about that being the second front in the war against Russia so maybe we just rename this the WW3 thread

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
you know prighozhin is going to show up

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bring it in, guys!

All of Pan-Africa comes in for a HUGE party!

yes

https://twitter.com/S4R4C3N/status/1686031541984530432?s=20
https://twitter.com/sputnik_africa/status/1685953459894255616?s=20

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

January 6 Survivor posted:

what's a sahara?

it's the desert that has this thing running through it?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Prime Minister of Burkina Faso gave a speech in Nicaragua this month where he basically asked everyone on the US sanction list there to hang out. He's a big Sankara follower apparently.

quote:

Nicaragua is not a large country, but the determination of its People is a Hope and an example for others, they have a great Spirit. In such a way, we have also kept that Hope, even after the assassination of our President Thomas Sankara.

Until today, many Revolutionaries have come from Burkina Faso, the only problem between us is the distance; Nicaragua is not a country that is close to ours, but despite that, distance does not count. That is why I am here, and I am here to be the living witness of the Unity between the People of Nicaragua and Burkina Faso.

And when I was coming, the President sent a letter of invitation to give to President Ortega so that he could also come to Burkina Faso. I’m not sure if he has the vigor of those years when he was fighting the Somoza Dictatorship, but I know, I am sure that he would love to arrive and honor the grave of our former President Thomas Sankara, and I do hope that he will make that visit, that he will travel to Burkina Faso, and in that way contribute to strengthening our relations.

I have heard that there is a delegation from Venezuela here too, and with the authorization of President Daniel Ortega I want to greet you. I was there last May and we shared many moments and thoughts.

I also noticed that there was a delegation from Cuba here, and I convey my greetings because we have very close relations with Cuba. President Fidel Castro has been and was a very important person for the Revolution in Africa; we have excellent memories, both of Cuba and of President Fidel Castro.

I also noticed that there is a delegation from Iran here, and I request you to let me greet the People of Iran. Likewise, for the Russian Federation, we will soon be in St. Petersburg, the delegation of Burkina Faso.
https://kawsachunnews.com/burkina-faso-prime-ministers-44-19-speech-in-nicaragua

This article is supportive of the current government's efforts, and is written by people who at least ran an education center in Burkina Faso at some point
https://hoodcommunist.org/2023/03/02/the-homeland-or-death-accomplishments-of-the-traore-government-in-burkina-faso/

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

FrancisFukyomama posted:

wasn’t there at one point bandit gangs that would do crimes and then submit to the authorities in hopes of getting martyred?

Sounds like you are talking about the Circumcellions. They were a North African 4th century sect. They would attack Roman legionaries armed only with clubs in the hopes of being martyred, or they would rob Roman merchants and give out the loot in the market square while waiting around to be arrested. Orthodox forces lumped them in with the Donatists to declare them heretical. I can think of no higher praise for these crazy Christians than that St Augustine called them a "rustic mob encouraging violence against landlords."

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

you know prighozhin is going to show up

they're calling him Gaddafi 2

quote:

Western diplomats are also alarmed about developments in neighbouring Chad, a key US partner in a region facing widening Russian influence and horrific Islamic insurgencies.

If Wagner Group activities are left unchecked, the security picture will worsen. Intelligence documents seen by i suggest Prigozhin’s scheme for a coup in Chad was part of a plan for a “unified confederation of African states” across northern Africa, including Burkina Faso, Chad, Eritrea, Guinea, Mali, Niger and Sudan. It had been hoped that Niger’s alliance with the West and it relative political stability, would allow it to resist Wagner’s spread.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken visited Niger in March, seeking to strengthen ties with a country where extremists have carried out attacks on civilians and military personnel, but the overall security situation was not as dire as in neighboring nations.

“This is the nightmare scenario for Western powers who had bet on Bazoum and Niger as a new security anchor for the Sahel,” said Ulf Laessing, head of the Sahel program at the Konrad Adenauer Foundation think tank.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/wagner-group-already-circling-post-coup-niger-as-russia-seeks-influence-across-sahel/ar-AA1eBbR1

he's going to be the first white Songhai Emperor

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

drat I wish I looked that good in a beret

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

West Africans telling the French government to gently caress off with a bit of Pan-Africanism going on? very good poo poo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

West Africans telling the French government to gently caress off with a bit of Pan-Africanism going on? very good poo poo

all these chickens coming home to roost

it rules

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm no tanker but based off this article comparing the lynx to the redback it seems rhinemetal produce markedly inferior products. So much for that vaunted German engineering.

https://asiapacificdefencereporter.com/selection-of-redback-ifv-confirms-the-importance-of-test-trials/

No quotes because it would end up being the whole article.

Maybe Ukraine can blame ze Germans for things going pop, pop, pop?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
everyone looks good in a beret

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

united confederation of african states sounds cool and based

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1686192339428003841?s=20

Council on Foreign Relations calls for Nigeria to lead the war against Wagner

quote:

Pax Nigeriana
Nigeria should lead an Afro-Western alliance to flush out Niger’s military junta and restore democracy in the country.

July 31, 2023 2:24 pm (EST)
Three weeks ago, as he took office as the Chairman of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), Nigerian president Bola Tinubu, no doubt with the situation across the region in mind, condemned military rule in the strongest of terms and offered a ringing endorsement of democracy as follows: “We must stand firm on democracy. There is no governance, freedom, and rule of law without democracy. We will not accept coup after coup in West Africa again. Democracy is difficult to manage but it is the best form of government.”

Lest there be any misunderstanding, he added: “You will all agree with me that democracy and good governance are the cornerstones of peace and sustainable development of every society. I’m fully committed to deepening democracy and good governance in the region. We must strengthen our democratic institutions and ensure respect for human rights and the rule of law. I will enhance engagements with the countries in transition to ensure their quick return to democratic rule.”

The army takeover of power in neighboring Niger is an opportunity for the Nigerian leader to back up his pro-democracy and antimilitary rhetoric with action. The sixth successful coup d’état in West Africa alone in the past three years, the ouster of President Mohamed Bazoum by General Abdourahamane Tchiani extends an ugly pattern that Nigeria, acting in concert with regional and foreign allies, must take urgent steps to arrest.

Excerpting from a customary playbook, General Tchiani claims that the Nigerien armed forces were forced to intervene due to “insecurity, economic woes and corruption” in the poor western Sahelian country. General Tchiani is not wrong about the dire state of affairs in the country; on the contrary, Niger’s struggles with corruption and insecurity are all too familiar. The question is whether General Tchiani and his henchmen are justified in violating the oath they took to defend their country’s constitution, and the answer is a categorical no. At any rate, an army general justifying a takeover of power on the basis of insecurity is a bit rich considering that there would be no insecurity if the same (Nigerien) army did its job properly in the first place. Having failed in their duty, General Tchiani and his henchmen have turned around to declare war on their own country. Accordingly, the more one looks at it, the more one is led to the conclusion that what has happened in Niger is nothing but an opportunistic power grab by a group of soldiers desperate to take advantage of instability in the country specifically, and uncertainty across the Sahel more broadly.

Since General Tchiani, previously linked to a 2015 coup attempt, has no qualms about violating the oath that he solemnly took, and may even be said to have called the bluff of the regional economic bloc by staging a takeover three odd weeks after Tinubu had spoken clearly and forcefully against coups d’état, the proper thing to do is to accept his challenge and stand toe to toe with him.

The earliest signals have been encouraging. President Tinubu and ECOWAS have led the chorus of condemnation, while France, the United States, and the United Nations (UN) have denounced the coup and called for the release and reinstallation of President Mohamed Bazoum. The European Union (EU) has made it clear that it “does not recognize and will not recognize the authorities resulting from the putsch in Niger” and promised to join ECOWAS in imposing severe sanctions on the military junta. Outside the sub-region, the response has been similarly encouraging, with Kenyan President William Ruto leading the way by describing the takeover as “a serious setback” to the continent.

While the strength of denunciation of the coup from various quarters is encouraging, and while the ECOWAS and EU threat of severe sanctions is welcome, it goes without saying that they cannot afford to stop there. The jury is still out on the effect of sanctions, and it is not unlikely that they might end up hurting ordinary Nigeriens more than the wayward generals and their immediate families.

In any event, what the people of Niger do not have right now is time and, with the Wagner group lurking and ready to offer its services to a beleaguered junta as it has done elsewhere in the region (Yevgeny Prigozhin, leader of the Russia-backed Wagner mercenary group, has hailed the coup d’état, bizarrely describing it as “nothing other than the struggle of the people of Niger with their colonisers”), a Nigeria-led coalition must move speedily to dispatch General Tchiani and restore the status quo ante in Niger. In this regard, the one-week ultimatum issued by ECOWAS to the junta after an emergency meeting in Abuja, the Nigerian capital, over the weekend is a step in the right direction. If the junta is still in place at the expiration of the deadline, force should be mobilized to remove it. There is nothing to negotiate here.

Nigeria must take the lead because it is the indisputable regional leader. Having, without any prompting, enlarged on the virtues of democracy, Tinubu can ill afford not to put his money where his mouth is. Democracy aside, from a security standpoint, Nigeria cannot allow its immediate neighbor to the north to once again fall under the sway of soldiers with no conception of modern governance. Nigeria has considerable economic and political leverage over Niger and President Tinubu should not hesitate to pull those levers. Granted, Tinubu himself is just adjusting to the rigors of his office as he faces an early challenge to his economic reforms from labor and various civil society groups. However, there is no perfect time to take a just action and the test of statesmanship is acting decisively even when, as seems to be the case here, the stars may not be fully aligned. If Tinubu fails this test, he risks being seen as all talk and no action and may rest assured of another military takeover in another corner of the region sooner or later.

There is no suggestion here that Nigeria should act unilaterally. On the contrary, the idea is for it to act in concert with other regional powers like Ghana and Senegal to muster the force (yes, force) that will dislodge the Nigerien junta.

While the immediate aim should be the removal of General Tchiani and the restoration of President Bazoum, the long-term aim should be to send a message that this is the last coup d’état in West Africa. In rapidly evolving toward a democratic security community ready to mobilize force to secure and consolidate regional democratic stability, ECOWAS should be clear in its resolve that riff-raffs sporting Abacha-esque dark goggles have no place in the region's political future. Western democracies can help with expertise and resources in the construction and consolidation of this new architecture.

The United States too cannot afford to limit itself to mere condemnation. A long-term partner with Niger in the fight against terrorism and with military personnel “almost entirely involved in the training of the Niger military and the maintenance of drone bases for surveillance purposes,” the United States has a decision to make. On the one hand, it cannot afford to simply walk away, not just because it will be walking away from “billions of dollars in security assistance” it has given Niger and other western Sahelian countries, but also because, with the Wagner group waiting in the shadows, doing so will send the message that Washington cannot be trusted when push comes to shove. At the same time, and especially considering Secretary of State Antony Blinken’s earnest promise to support “diplomacy, democracy, development, and defense” in Niger, it will find it difficult to justify channeling resources to a military junta that has basically amputated one leg of that quartet of principles. At any rate, if it decides to back a military dictator, how will it differentiate itself from Wagner?

In a nutshell, both the moral and strategic arguments favor Nigeria, ECOWAS, and Western powers. They should act decisively and restore President Bazoum to power.
https://www.cfr.org/blog/pax-nigeriana?utm_medium=social_share&utm_source=tw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Ukraine - Russian commanders are struggling with battle fatigue and attrition in forward deployed regiments, and battling against shortage of artillery ammunition, a lack of reserves and problems securing the flanks of units in the defence, and problems of co-ordination

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-...-china-12541713

UK intelligence reveals 'common problems' facing Russian commanders as 'intense fighting' continues
11m ago
13:50

As "intense fighting" continues in two sectors of southern Ukraine, Russian commanders and one particular unit are facing a number of problems.

Kyiv's assaults south of the city Orkhiv have been focused against Russia's 58th Combined Arms Army (58 CAA), the UK's Ministry of Defence has said.

As a result, Moscow's forces are "highly likely struggling with battle fatigue and attrition in forward deployed regiments", it added.

For Russian commanders, they are battling against a "shortage of artillery ammunition, a lack of reserves and problems securing the flanks of units in the defence".

Further east, south of Velyka Novosilka, Russian troops have been drawn from the eastern and southern military districts, which is probably creating "problems of co-ordination", the ministry's latest update continued.

Some soldiers are likely to be under "particular pressure" and feel they are "long overdue for a rotation out of the frontline", it added.

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1686249521964085248?s=20