Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A lot of talk and no action, France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it would be insanely bad to have that coup turn into actual war

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cuttlefush posted:

Toys, pram, etc.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

lol if Algiers tags along how the gently caress they are going to fight the Sahara

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

African countries seek to revive Sahara gas pipeline
Martina Schwikowski
08/12/2022
August 12, 2022
Nigeria, Algeria and Niger — keen to benefit from EU efforts to wean itself off Russian gas — are renewing efforts to implement a decades-old plan. But is there enough political will and funding for the project?

The Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline (TSGP), as the trilateral project with a decades-long history is officially called, recently saw a fresh attempt at a revival when representatives from Algeria, Niger and Nigeria met in Niamey, Niger, in June. In July, the energy ministers of the three countries signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) and agreed to set up a task force for the project with the aim of updating an existing feasibility study.

The idea to pipe gas across the Sahara to Europe was first mooted more than 40 years ago. In 2009, an agreement was signed by the three gas-rich countries, but progress has stalled since then.

TSGP, also known as the NIGAL pipeline, may now move closer to becoming reality as Europe attempts to cut its strong dependency on Russian gas in the wake of economic sanctions against Moscow over the Ukraine war.

"It [the pipeline] should allow Europe to diversify its sources of natural gas supply, but also allow several African states to access this high-value energy source," said a joint statement issued in June.
https://www.dw.com/en/african-countries-seek-to-revive-trans-saharan-gas-pipeline-dream/a-62778681

the US ran out of real natural gas pipelines to Europe to destroy and is now trying to blow up potential natural gas pipelines

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

remember what they took from you

https://twitter.com/Africa_Archives/status/1685651322043842560?t=FnRKh1AzqhJKq2_TKpPfvA&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

lol if Algiers tags along how the gently caress they are going to fight the Sahara

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

presumably they'd drive over it on the big highway?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

to be fair there already is a war and part of the justification for the coup in Niger is that the previous government and the French sucked at fighting it

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

presumably they'd drive over it on the big highway?

I mean more the Nigerian forces/pro-NATO people trying to fight a combined Mali-Niger-Algiers force in their turf

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
oh. well, hopefully we wont see

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Chuckling at the idea France drums up a revenge war, the uranium supply chokes or gets cut off and their domestic nuclear grid has a crisis during an economic downturn.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm not entirely certain on the first part as violent mobs of priests and monks (often castrated) were common in the east but very rarely happened in the west. It would be regional, I think. To your second point, that's kind of the tip of the iceberg. In the east there was a tend to have very extreme communities that did wild poo poo in the name of asceticism and formed monastic communities outside of state or ecclesiastical control. Regulating their behaviour was a constant annoyance for both church and state.

was that detail in Gore Vidal’s Julian about how the ERE had street brawls and riots on a regular basis over people getting worked up about the nature of the trinity and other theological matters accurate?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Chuckling at the idea France drums up a revenge war, the uranium supply chokes or gets cut off and their domestic nuclear grid has a crisis during an economic downturn.

Niger only supplies 25% of the uranium to the EU

Russia currently provides 20% lol

quote:

“France is not dependent on any one site, company or country to ensure the security of supply for its power plants,” said an official from France’s energy ministry, who spoke on condition of anonymity since they were not authorized to be named. “The situation in Niger poses no risk to France's security of supply for natural uranium,” the official stressed.

But the coup in Niger could be a challenge for Europe's uranium needs in the longer term, just as the continent is trying to phase out dependency on Russia, another top supplier of uranium used in European nuclear plants.

Tensions in Niger could further discourage the EU from adopting sanctions against Russia in the nuclear sector, according to Phuc-Vinh Nguyen, an energy expert at the Jacques Delors Institute in Paris.

In 2021, Niger was the EU's top uranium supplier, followed by Kazakhstan and Russia, according to the Supply Agency of the European Atomic Energy Community.

"It could have consequences at the EU level. Uranium — and nuclear power in general — is still not subject to sanctions. If the situation in Niger gets worse, this would certainly complicate the adoption of sanctions on Russian uranium in the short term," he said.
https://www.politico.eu/article/niger-coup-spark-concerns-france-uranium-dependency/

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lol @ the angry french account QT's

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the Niger situation has be deeply conflicted, on the one hand I hate military governments with every fiber of my being, on the other I also hate france with every neutron of my atoms...

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
one of/the coup guys was the presidential guard leader who blocked a coup in 2021 to put the currently-just-couped president into power after he won the election. have to have some respect for how classic that is. also he was suspected but denied being part of a plan to coup the previous guy

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

the Niger situation has be deeply conflicted

be too

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Al-Saqr posted:

the Niger situation has be deeply conflicted, on the one hand I hate military governments with every fiber of my being, on the other I also hate france with every neutron of my atoms...

European powers getting dunked on by the global south should always be celebrated as a priority imo

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I don't actually like what the Taliban believe to be a good and just society, for example, but them making GBS threads on America and America's allies is cool and good

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The coup government is being denounced by people like

quote:

Granted, Tinubu himself is just adjusting to the rigors of his office as he faces an early challenge to his economic reforms from labor and various civil society groups.

and France, while being supported by a guy who really wants to be Sankara 2

remaining cautiously optimistic but I'm no Africa expert

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ah, the classic start a massive bloody war in the name of democracy and anti-militarism gambit. one hell of an act

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cerebral Bore posted:

ah, the classic start a massive bloody war in the name of democracy and anti-militarism gambit. one hell of an act

Let's see if the old playbook still works like it used to. It might, who knows. Be embarassing, nay, worse, if it doesn't.

A good reminder to the rest of the "global south" that the euros don't tolerate partners, only subjects.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DevanaUkraine/status/1686009465319927808?t=z6rD738FHZ4ci6PDJtvsjw&s=19

I'm sorry but the opening premise of this seems implausible

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Step right up folks, be the first to claim the prize of being African Zelensky

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
so Burkina Faso, Mali, Guinea all had coups. Guinea's interim guy used to be FFL, Mali's guy trained with germany/france and USAFRICOM, and Burkina Faso's guy may or may not be associated with "the Cobra unit". So I'm going to assume they all know the west craves blood and are creating a coup crew, maybe an outer heaven.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

according to the 1926 census the population of the ukrainian ssr was 29 million and the next one was indeed in 1937, so i strongly suspect that these numbers are sourced straight from this here person's rear end

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cuttlefush posted:

so Burkina Faso, Mali, Guinea all had coups. Guinea's interim guy used to be FFL, Mali's guy trained with germany/france and USAFRICOM, and Burkina Faso's guy may or may not be associated with "the Cobra unit". So I'm going to assume they all know the west craves blood and are creating a coup crew, maybe an outer heaven.

Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown Africa.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

FrancisFukyomama posted:

was that detail in Gore Vidal’s Julian about how the ERE had street brawls and riots on a regular basis over people getting worked up about the nature of the trinity and other theological matters accurate?

Yeah, it's true: people in the past were weird.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

according to the 1926 census the population of the ukrainian ssr was 29 million and the next one was indeed in 1937, so i strongly suspect that these numbers are sourced straight from this here person's rear end

Bad News For Russia: New Open Source Archivism Reveals True Extent Of Genocide Greater Than The Holocaust:

https://twitter.com/DevanaUkraine/status/1686070449925468160?s=20

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
ah yes, the famous massive war involving the ussr that took place sometime between 1926 and 1937

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i guess it's not satire but lol?

quote:

In 1931, the population of Ukraine was 81 million. This is a much larger population than the population of Russia at that time (77 million).

But in 5 years, the number of Ukrainians somehow fantastically decreased by 55 million. The very next census of 1937 indicated that there were 26 million Ukrainians in the USSR.

Also, everyone knows about the Holodomor - when Russians deliberately took food from Ukrainians and shot them for any attempt to eat even a straw from the field. And food at that time was spoiling in warehouses. During this terrible genocide, 10.5 million Ukrainians died.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
45 million ukrainians just poofed

"you sure russia didnt starve them?"
"no they only starved 10 million."
"uh, ok."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Let's face it the only Russian history most of The West [tm] knows is from mousing over the vehicles in War Thunder and from watching that Kingsmen movie with Rasputin in it. Ukraine even less. It's completely fine to go hog wild with Harry Potter grade fanfic articles about Ukranian history, nobody will know the difference.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Russia - Last night, in the Chernihiv region, Ukraine's border guards stopped an attempt by an enemy saboteur-reconnaissance group to cross the state border of Ukraine within the Semenivka community

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f085120bb1dae1f

Ukraine claims it repelled Russian saboteur group crossing northern border
5m ago
08.25 BST

Ukraine has thwarted an overnight attempt by a Russian saboteur group to cross its northern border, interior minister Ihor Klymenko wrote on the Telegram messaging app.

Last night, in the Chernihiv region, border guards stopped an attempt by an enemy saboteur-reconnaissance group to cross the state border of Ukraine within the Semenivka community,” Reuters reports he said.

Serhiy Naev, commander of the joint forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, said that four armed people attempted to cross the border but were repelled by Ukrainian fire.

Klymenko said the four people were detected moving from Russian territory.

He added that reserves of the State Border Guard Service and Ukraine’s armed forces were deployed to strengthen the area.

Ukraine has strengthened its northern military sector following the reported arrival of Russian mercenary leader Yevgeny Prigozhin and some Wagner group troops in Belarus. The reported presence of the Wagner mercenaries has also led to Poland reinforcing its border.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

DancingShade posted:

Let's face it the only Russian history most of The West [tm] knows is from mousing over the vehicles in War Thunder and from watching that Kingsmen movie with Rasputin in it.

war thunder instills strong methods of analysis and it's good enough imo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fizzy posted:

Bad news for Russia - Last night, in the Chernihiv region, Ukraine's border guards stopped an attempt by an enemy saboteur-reconnaissance group to cross the state border of Ukraine within the Semenivka community

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f085120bb1dae1f

Ukraine claims it repelled Russian saboteur group crossing northern border
5m ago
08.25 BST

Ukraine has thwarted an overnight attempt by a Russian saboteur group to cross its northern border, interior minister Ihor Klymenko wrote on the Telegram messaging app.

Last night, in the Chernihiv region, border guards stopped an attempt by an enemy saboteur-reconnaissance group to cross the state border of Ukraine within the Semenivka community,” Reuters reports he said.

Serhiy Naev, commander of the joint forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, said that four armed people attempted to cross the border but were repelled by Ukrainian fire.

Klymenko said the four people were detected moving from Russian territory.

He added that reserves of the State Border Guard Service and Ukraine’s armed forces were deployed to strengthen the area.

Ukraine has strengthened its northern military sector following the reported arrival of Russian mercenary leader Yevgeny Prigozhin and some Wagner group troops in Belarus. The reported presence of the Wagner mercenaries has also led to Poland reinforcing its border.

There were THIS (spreads hands far apart) many detected by us. We stopped them and scared them off. Sadly Igor forgot to turn camera on so no footage. So we get combat bonus now?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
fizzy do coup news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Somebody killed 10 million Ukrainians from 1941 to 1945. That's right, it was history's greatest monster, Zhukov.