Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Lemniscate Blue posted:

One of TNG's more bizarre celebrity cameos.

Holy poo poo even now I can still learn something new about Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's especially funny having Chakotay say that line since I think he personally blew up more shuttles than any other crew member.

Chakotay just loudly insisting they still have a full compliment of shuttles anytime anyone brings up all his crashes.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

Chakotay just loudly insisting they still have a full compliment of shuttles anytime anyone brings up all his crashes.

They have a shuttle bay full of cardboard stands to look like it's full of shuttles. Every time Chakotay is about to enter, they call him away so he can't see just how few shuttles they have left.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They've actually just been using all the life-crafts when they ran out of shuttles.

They were drat lucky they never run into any space icebergs.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I mean, they have replicators and a bunch of crew that probably lost their primary purpose when they got stranded. Exobotanist you say? That's Delta Quadrant for shuttle builder!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The voyager sequel introducing the vehicle replicator was pretty obviously a response/wink to it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arivia posted:

honestly the canon issue here is like i can't even imagine cromwell's cochrane going and living somewhere else. taking his ship there? absolutely. but that guy is ride or die for his lovely post-apocalyptic bar.

Only because he couldn’t leave. he says himself he was outta there the moment he could find a tropical paradise to retire to. Idk if we’ve ever seen Alpha Centauri up close in Trek, maybe it’s really nice!

Besides, you gotta figure the moment everyone heard Zefram Cochrane built FTL ship and met aliens, everyone he owed money came looking for him.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So why jazz?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Iggy Pop. I did not see that coming. Was he a fan of the show or something?

Pretty much he wanted to do something, Behr et al. really wanted him to do something, but they had to wait for him to get hurt and stop touring. They were a bit dismayed that all they had for him when he was finally available was a Vorta, but he gave the perfect performance for the episode IMO.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

So odd to see Shives without his trademark cap.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Atlas Hugged posted:

So why jazz?

(i assume you mean in regards to riker, picard season 3 muddied this by having shaw use jazz as a comparison to his command style, which he said was like classical music, in reference to admiral picard while riker was also in the room, but gently caress that show)

the short answer is that jonathan frakes is a jazz trombonist and the writers incorporated that into his character

the longer answer is somewhat similar to the picard reference, i think it was intended to show a stylistic personality difference between riker and picard. at first picard was shown to be somewhat strict, regimental and, well, classical. in contrast to riker, picard is often shown listening to, playing or appreciating classical music. riker is usually improvising and bopping all over the place while smoking funny cigarettes

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just mean like in general. The musical tastes of the crew are somewhat eclectic I guess.

I suppose it gets around copyright issues and trying to predict what would be popular contemporarily.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pretty much those two reasons, yeah.

Even if you have them listen to music from the era the show is being made in, it's hard to predict what'll last and what'll be forgotten this time next year.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just mean like in general. The musical tastes of the crew are somewhat eclectic I guess.

I suppose it gets around copyright issues and trying to predict what would be popular contemporarily.

Jazz is a true American art form!

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
There was a commercial resurgence of jazz in the late 80's in the form of smooth jazz, so it was a genre that sounded modern at the time but with enough of a legacy that it wouldn't be completely weighed down by shifting contemporary trends

Now I'm imagining if TNG came out about 5 years later and Riker is into swing revival

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Helm, Warp 5, pickitup pickitup pickitup!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You couldn't rent new episodes of DS9 at Blockbuster wtf

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

You couldn't rent new episodes of DS9 at Blockbuster wtf

When I say 'new' I mean 'this was the first time it was possible to see them by any method in Australia even though they were probably several years old by that point'.

There's a reason we adopted internet piracy so eagerly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They'd have like a VHS with three episodes from two different seasons

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was always two episodes with a weird face staring at you

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MikeJF posted:

When I say 'new' I mean 'this was the first time it was possible to see them by any method in Australia even though they were probably several years old by that point'.

There's a reason we adopted internet piracy so eagerly.

Doing battle with DS9's 11:00pm Thursday night broadcast that was constantly delayed by one of the worst variety shows on Earth running over time every week was a right of passage

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seemlar posted:

Doing battle with DS9's 11:00pm Thursday night broadcast that was constantly delayed by one of the worst variety shows on Earth running over time every week was a right of passage

Mine was 1 am on Saturday mornings. I'd watch it after I got off work Friday night waiting tables. TNG was a more sensible mid-afternoon Saturday. I can still remember watching Frame of Mind on a terrible 13in TV at the laundromat because our washing machine broke and my mom had to drag us all down there.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The original series two-episode VHS tapes seemed to always pair a good episode with a crappy one. And the crappy one usually went first, requiring a bunch of fast-forward-stop-play-stop-rewind-play just to find the beginning of it. The single releases, where each episode had its own tape, were much nicer. It would have taken up more shelf space that way if you wanted a complete collection, but who had money for that? I just wanted to own my favorite few.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The worst combo in that picture is the The Muse and For the Cause, and For the Cause is actually pretty good. It is season 4 so it's pretty much nothing but bangers.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

I don't remember the episode where Nicholas Cage and Saruman got fused in the transporter.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BonHair posted:

I mean, they have replicators and a bunch of crew that probably lost their primary purpose when they got stranded. Exobotanist you say? That's Delta Quadrant for shuttle builder!

Go down deep enough on Voyager, and you come across an assembly line where crewmembers do nothing but build shuttles, all day long. Don't ask why they're dressed in spiked leather.

There's also a wheel that just gets pushed in circles while a big, deformed overseer cracks a whip at the thralls pushing it. Nobody knows what it does.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

thotsky posted:

I don't remember the episode where Nicholas Cage and Saruman got fused in the transporter.

Lol at the fake emissary guy getting his own cover

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

davidspackage posted:

Go down deep enough on Voyager, and you come across an assembly line where crewmembers do nothing but build shuttles, all day long. Don't ask why they're dressed in spiked leather.

There's also a wheel that just gets pushed in circles while a big, deformed overseer cracks a whip at the thralls pushing it. Nobody knows what it does.

The astronaut picture but with Janeway holding a phaser to some poor Ensign's head.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MikeJF posted:

It was always two episodes with a weird face staring at you

lol odo from "broken link" looks like he's turning into a tree

zoux posted:

The worst combo in that picture is the The Muse and For the Cause, and For the Cause is actually pretty good. It is season 4 so it's pretty much nothing but bangers.

yeah most of those pairings are pretty good, not really surprising because season 4 is overall really good. drat, what a good show

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

davidspackage posted:

....It waters the Leola root? Duh?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He was more than a hero

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1686424148552175641

He was a union man

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

davidspackage posted:

That's the thing that powers the warp core ejector. That's why warp core ejection is always off line. Ship gets hit and the slaves just get scattered all over the place.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Peak Performance: Oh, yet another silly incomprehensible Star Trek SUPER FUTURE GAME. Also there is a big simulated space battle that swiftly goes down the shitter once the Ferengi show up and things get real. Real dull that is.

And finally, I hit the grand finale, Shades of Grey. A fairly boring "Oh no, Riker's infected by spikey thingy" medical drama that quickly becomes a tiresome clip show where he beats the infection through the power of disjointed scenes from earlier episodes. What a wet fart of a season end. I think more than any, that might well be the worst I've seen so far.

Overall, my opinion of Season 2? Some well good stuff in there, some flickers of the brilliance. Measure of a Man and Q Who are truly great, but there's also a clutch of absolute trainwrecks. Outrageous Okona, I've no time for. Up the Long Ladder, get screwed. The aforementioned Shades of Grey, BOLLOCKS. Unnatural Selection, I was actually close to drifting off to sleep and my only abiding memory of it is Pulaski's dumb wrinkly face and how nobody questioned the moral implications of the super children. God, actually, I think that might have been the worst. I'm torn.

Still, everything in between "poo poo" and "great" was watchable and comfortable. I'm looking forward to experiencing the legendary Season 3 for the first time. And having Beverly back, her absence has been palpable.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Sash! posted:

That's the thing that powers the warp core ejector. That's why warp core ejection is always off line. Ship gets hit and the slaves just get scattered all over the place.

The first time they ejected the warp core in voyager my friends and I were laughing about how the drat thing finally worked.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Shades of Gray is a clip show they had to scramble to put together after they blew the production budget. It’s intentionally just filler.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I try really hard not to skip episodes when I'm watching through because I'll just inadvertently skip everything, but I always skip Shades of Grey without hesitation.

It's funny because The Menagerie has to be one of the greatest clip shows around, so Star Trek really runs the gamut.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I watched Profit and Lace last night before bed.

Huh.

That was an episode of Star Trek.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

lol yep

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
God drat this show hates O'Brien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011