Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Double post because I finished my Greece run.

Went with an easy/chill mode of Naples -> Two Sicilies -> Greece (keeping the Sicilian ideas)

Rome is Greek culture and Protestant religion :sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Detheros posted:

Greece game going well.

:v:

Noted old colonial power Brazil

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

It's like a Victoria game converted back to EU4

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Flemish Guinea. Wow.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The long slithering Greek tentacle reaching deep into Africa.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

mfcrocker posted:

Noted old colonial power Brazil

So funny story: Portugal got the Exile to Brazil event and then, as Brazil, got a Personal Union over Catholic Kongo :v:

Poil posted:

The long slithering Greek tentacle reaching deep into Africa.

Lamba is down there (and uncolonized in 1444, Kongo colonized it) :v:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok so I'm still a pretty casual player and bad at this game, and I'm stuck?

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do here? Because I'm having a bit of trouble, and this just seems a bit hard in my opinion, and yeah I know Anbennar is supposed to be for grognards that played this thing for decade(s), so I could really use some advice. Thank you.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Ok so I'm still a pretty casual player and bad at this game, and I'm stuck?

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do here? Because I'm having a bit of trouble, and this just seems a bit hard in my opinion, and yeah I know Anbennar is supposed to be for grognards that played this thing for decade(s), so I could really use some advice. Thank you.

I assume that's the Command disaster. I don't know exactly what effects that has beyond the obvious, but on the face of things the situation isn't that bad. You're barely outnumbered so you should be able to form a big blob of troops and clean up enough AI stacks to even things out. You have plenty of manpower and the Command has bottomless reserves of Professionalism to turn into more manpower. Your armies are pretty strong by default and the enemy is divided into 3 manageable chunks that you can siege down and peace out individually after you've thinned out their numbers. Your cash situation looks like it sucks but you can probably survive.

but it's a disaster that I've never actually had before, so it's entirely possible that you have some kind of crippling -1000% everything modifier going on that's going to make you get owned, knowing Anbennar's disaster design.

as a general note though: you have way too much cavalry for 1683. cavalry falls off pretty hard over time for countries that don't specialize in it, which I'm pretty sure the Command doesn't. Probably too late to do it now since you don't want to disband a third of your army mid-war, but cull those cavalry units down and replace about 80% of them with infantry.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 2, 2023

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
It looks like you can start by saying goodbye to that 34k stack in the south there. Though the ai could be sending like 3 units instead of the 66k that would probably wipe it. Which would be on par for the ai.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

cock hero flux posted:

but it's a disaster that I've never actually had before, so it's entirely possible that you have some kind of crippling -1000% everything modifier going on that's going to make you get owned, knowing Anbennar's disaster design.

I've experienced that disaster and it's completely absurd. I'm not sure how you'd ever beat it without foreknowledge and a lot of cheese. I imagine OP is running at a massive deficit as the event takes 3/4 of your dev so now you can't pay all the troops you need to fight that 3/4 of your empire without going bankrupt. Plus each of the enemy commands has a special condition you have to meet to remove a huge defensiveness buff they get on their capitals which makes them effectively immune to siege. I just console cheated to win so I could do the rest of the mission tree because lol.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 2, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, I uh went bankrupt after 7 years of war, haha.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Your army comp doesn't seem suitable for that kind of peer war. Looks like you have 12 armies of 34k each, I assume something like 14-3-17 inf-cav-art? So combine two of those and you have full front and backline for tech 21, and six cav to flank. That's sensible enough, but there's two problems:
1. Tech 22 is only four years ahead of time in 1683, and it's a big one, +2 artillery fire and some other stuff, including +2 combat width. If you don't have it yet, that's probably actually really good, since you're fighting your estates right? So they were probably released with your tech, and if you have the mana to take tech 22 right away you'll temporarily have a big artillery advantage. But it does mean your intended stacks are missing 2 infantry and artillery, and you're apparently way over force limit already.

2. Having full backline in all of your stacks is good if you want to go siege a fort with every stack you have, and the enemy is too scared to attack those armies. But if you're actually going to be fighting battles, you want additional frontline stacks for reinforcements. Maybe two frontline armies for each full army. So if you were still in 1683 I'd probably recommend keeping 36*4 artillery and disbanding the rest once you're not at max manpower (I assume you have the professionalism to get manpower from disbanding). Or less if you're downsizing more to delay bankruptcy.

Might also consider getting rid of the cav, fire phase is really starting to dominate so cav's low defensive fire pips mean they start getting shred, and fire phase does come first. Not sure about hobgoblin cav pips, though.

Other than that, maybe give estates financial control despite the all power cost, getting lower interest will let you go bankrupt slower. Might want to debase some too. Seems like a pretty brutal disaster.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Never played that disaster but for just fighting the war I'm assuming the enemy troops have the same bonuses and such as The Command so trying to fight them head-on is a bad idea. What you want to do is stack as much morale as you can find and then consolidate your armies into a couple of big (like 100k+) stacks and 2-to-1 wipe their armies because they have bad defensive morale pips.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

losing is fun

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

oddium posted:

losing is fun

sounds like something a loser would say

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Losing causes my game to force-close, so weird

Double A
Jun 16, 2023
Haven't played since around the time they added sailors and was thinking about Palembang. Anything I need to know?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Double A posted:

Haven't played since around the time they added sailors and was thinking about Palembang. Anything I need to know?

Going pirate? There's a piracy map mode now. Very useful.

Double A
Jun 16, 2023

Groke posted:

Going pirate? There's a piracy map mode now. Very useful.

You know, you might not expect this, but I happen to quite like maps, so this is only good news to me.

Double A
Jun 16, 2023
oh jesus loving christ why is some white nerd lecturing me I'm *drunk* I don't want this

the dlc sub was a mistake

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

pope please

im gonna have to eat the trust hit after calling them in with the promise of land because they can't make up their loving minds

e: for some reason, after savoy unconditionally surrendered, the pope suddenly realized they didn't want anything and now won't lose trust over it. thanks, i guess

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

can't blame a pope for giving it a shot

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

pope please

im gonna have to eat the trust hit after calling them in with the promise of land because they can't make up their loving minds

e: for some reason, after savoy unconditionally surrendered, the pope suddenly realized they didn't want anything and now won't lose trust over it. thanks, i guess

yeah i think that got patched at some point, you used to have to take the trust hit

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just got Luck of the Irish starting as Tyrone. I owned all of Ireland and had beaten Scotland and England at least once each by 1470, and owned all of Britain except for Kent and Sussex by 1500, which were owned by France. I've never seen AI France land invade Britain before when recovering its continental cores, but here we are.

It took me two attempts to get an alliance network powerful enough to barely beat France for a stupid 12 war score win. Spain is so useless as an ally. 90k troops and I didn't see a stack bigger than like 8k because they were just picking their asses in the new world.

Tip if you're going for this: Don't go for the Burgundian Inheritance. It caused France to break its alliances with me and Burgundy was disloyal the whole game, essentially serving as a war score pinata for France. And I didn't get the loving horse event.

And the Irish mission tree kinda sucks rear end doesn't it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm not sure how you'd ever beat it without foreknowledge and a lot of cheese.

I think that's the problem. Whoever designed the command events just expected you to cheese it.

I rolled back to an earlier save and tried it again and it was perfectly manageable. I just stocked up on cash, didn't develop rebellious regions, allies with one of the bulwar elves. It turned out to be perfectly manageable. Easier than fighting a coalition even.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
What's up with the wiki not showing up in google? I wanted to check something about horde ideas earlier, and "ideas eu4" didn't give the wiki in the first page of results like I expected. Fine, since I'm already in google, just add site:eu4.paradoxwikis.com, right?

Now I did finally get where I wanted after including the omitted results, but yes google I'd like you to include more than zero results.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Staltran posted:

What's up with the wiki not showing up in google? I wanted to check something about horde ideas earlier, and "ideas eu4" didn't give the wiki in the first page of results like I expected. Fine, since I'm already in google, just add site:eu4.paradoxwikis.com, right?

Now I did finally get where I wanted after including the omitted results, but yes google I'd like you to include more than zero results.

The paradox wiki freaks out if you use a vpn

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm not using a vpn right now, and would that also affect google results?

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
unrelated but the wiki is also absolute dogshit on mobile

ya know, for the well adjusted amongst us who read about EU4 mechanics away from our PCs

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Grinch posted:

unrelated but the wiki is also absolute dogshit on mobile

ya know, for the well adjusted amongst us who read about EU4 mechanics away from our PCs

You can switch to desktop site at the bottom, not that that's exactly great either. But at least you can see the formulas and stuff instead of a gray bar.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Staltran posted:

google is bad now

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm used to SEO garbage filling the results, but straight up hiding every single result as too similar to... the empty set? That's just weird.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Jazerus posted:

google is bad now

has been for years.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

2 more for the pile.

As you can see by my terrible name placement I went with the "colonize and take over most of Malacca/the Moluccas while India thunderdome's itself" strat. Joke's on me because Bahmanis didn't attack Vijay once, lmao. Didn't lose any of my starting Island since I allied Bahmanis and Ayutthaya at the start after independence (and by the time I lost them because of loving course they rivaled each other/me I was big enough to "scare" away the ai) so it was a pretty chill game.

Not pictured: Bengal forming Delhi, never seen that, it's usually Delhi surviving/Jaunpur forming Delhi ime.

Detheros fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 13, 2023

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Pretty fun run other than having to kill a million Ottoman troops in every war.

Definitely could have done some things smarter. Didn't read through the whole Yuan mission tree and realize there was a perma 15% WarScore Cost that I should have been beelining from the beginning instead of not getting it until like 1540. Also, I probably should have swapped out Espionage for Diplo once the 2nd age started and stacked WS Cost

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

This one was fun :toot:

"Most of Iberia" is 32 provinces btw.

Also not pictured but I got elected emperor of the HRE with literally no involvement myself because there's like no catholics left, so I formed Spain and got the Spain is the Emperor cheevo as well :v:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's one of the things that surprised me when I was touring the museum in the Wittelsbach residence "they got an electorate, and adopted spanish dress and fashion" or something like that.

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009
Does distant war apply to the players defensive wars? Im playing as Tunis, have a bunch of allies who all refuse a defensive call to arms from a wardec by Portugal along with their allies Spain and England. Ottomans, France, Bohemia and Switzerland all refuse the defensive call to arms. Ive had a look and I cant figure out why. Ottomans are the ones who are classically thousands of ducats in debt etc so I can see why they wouldnt but I cannot figure out the others. If I were to declare on the AI im certain it would be +100 reasons to join on each of those AIs.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Once you're the undisputed #1 great power, how's best to convert that into an actual world conquest? I've revoked as the Angevin Empire and have pretty much the entire of Europe as my vassal, but I'm really struggling with the diplo point requirements from unjustified demands.

I thought the general advice was to use the Holy War CB but I'm finding that crippling. Is there a different CB I should be using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

Once you're the undisputed #1 great power, how's best to convert that into an actual world conquest? I've revoked as the Angevin Empire and have pretty much the entire of Europe as my vassal, but I'm really struggling with the diplo point requirements from unjustified demands.

I thought the general advice was to use the Holy War CB but I'm finding that crippling. Is there a different CB I should be using?

What's crippling about Holy War? Especially with the vassal swarm you should be breezing any war. Otherwise you need Diplo tech 23 for imperialism.