Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

I strongly dislike jrpg's, but I can't stop playing Chained Echoes. It gets rid of almost everything I never liked about traditional jrpg's.

Also, all the achievements are still rare, did not many people play this one?
It's on Gamepass so a lot of people probably try it but idk i wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of randoms bounce off it. If you get into it you'll definitely want to do pretty much everything, it's pretty much designed to be 100% completed by anyone.

It's really solid though, just always keeps things moving both in developing the mechanics and the way the story progresses and never drags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
What? I bounced off Chained Echoes because it was so freking hard! :-(

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Neco posted:

I just play it on the lowest difficulty. Fights are quick and encounters can be avoided a lot of times.

I'm mainly interested in seeing the story play out, and how the characters progress in it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neco posted:

Senna is broken as fuuuuuuuck

Outside of that the game is intended to be tough in random encounters.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

John F Bennett posted:

Also, all the achievements are still rare, did not many people play this one?

It depends on the game, but sometimes there isn't any rhyme or reason as to which achievements are classified "rare". It should be something like "<5% of players unlocked this" but it's clearly not.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

There's basically a ton of evidence that people really enjoy getting to collect a lot of items and resources and that it can make people play your game longer if they have lots of mini goals to focus on. It's why stuff like skill trees or microobjectives or collectables find their place into so many things because they have a proven track record of holding player attention and for relatively minimal effort.

Likewise there's almost always a strong pushback to attempts to trim stuff down, with complaints of it being too simple/too basic/too empty. There's a somewhat vocal group of people who say that false illusions of choice and depth are necessary to keep games engaging

I think this started with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare back in 2007? Adding rpg mechanics with progression and unlocks to a multiplayer shooter was revolutionary at the time, as well as hugely appealing and enjoyable for players. I think that's where it initially began and tbh, at the time I think we all loved the hell out of it (and still do because BC COD games are still great fun to play) and why there weren't any complaints when other developers started to do the same thing.

Also thanks for Mad Max chat fellow S+X havers. I'm still a bit iffy but it sounds like it could be fun (I am nostalgic as heck for car combat) and I remembered Xbox has a really good refund system.

Speaking of, does Activision still have the Vigilante 8 license? Curious about Interstate '76 too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sywert of Thieves posted:

It depends on the game, but sometimes there isn't any rhyme or reason as to which achievements are classified "rare". It should be something like "<5% of players unlocked this" but it's clearly not.

I think it’s less than 10 percent.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Vigilante 8 owns.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Speaking of, does Activision still have the Vigilante 8 license? Curious about Interstate '76 too.
Yes and yes. The Interstate games are on GOG, but they need a frankly exhaustive amount of work to get running properly on modern PCs. And even then, "properly" is a bit of a stretch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O19QFxlXrM

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The King of Fighters XV (standard & deluxe editions) are heavily discounted right now for anyone that's a fan of that series. I think it might be the first time it's gone on sale and it's a big discount. Would be nice if that new Samurai Shodown game would go on sale sometime :colbert:

Also for anyone who simply cannot get enough fighting games this year, the Dead or Alive series (from original Xbox through to the last game on XB1 which got some really snazzy X-enhancements) is on sale.

This is also finally releasing on September 1st :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HKDfO51Ja4

Charles Martel posted:

Vigilante 8 owns.

That and Twisted Metal 2 were my favorite PS1 games :hfive:

The Kins posted:

Yes and yes. The Interstate games are on GOG, but they need a frankly exhaustive amount of work to get running properly on modern PCs. And even then, "properly" is a bit of a stretch.

:lol:

With recent talk of Xbox updating the dashboard I wish they'd do some fun things with the UI like have the Killer Instinct announcer as an option for menu navigation voiceovers or having Taurus' poems from Interstate '76 casually playing in the background on the home screen.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Celeste is back on Game Pass as of today, and if you like extremely good games you should give it a go

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Pass: The Gamening

COMING:
Today: Celeste (Cloud, Console, and PC)
August 3: A Short Hike (Cloud, Console, PC)
August 8: Broforce Forever (Cloud, Console, and PC)
August 9: Limbo (Cloud, Console, and PC)
August 10: Airborne Kingdom (Cloud, Console, and PC)
August 15: Everspace 2 (Cloud and Xbox Series X|S)

GOING:
Leaving August 15:
Death Stranding (PC)
Edge of Eternity (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Midnight Fight Express (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Total War: Warhammer III (PC)

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Oh gently caress, I've been meaning to play A Short Hike for aaaages. Awesome that it's just gonna fall right into my lap.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Limbo's back again? That reminds me I need to actually play Lana, just as soon as I wrap up Chicory.

Also looks like Omori got delisted right after it left Gamepass. Weird.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

The Kins posted:

Pass: The Gamening

COMING:
Today: Celeste (Cloud, Console, and PC)
August 3: A Short Hike (Cloud, Console, PC)
August 8: Broforce Forever (Cloud, Console, and PC)
August 9: Limbo (Cloud, Console, and PC)
August 10: Airborne Kingdom (Cloud, Console, and PC)
August 15: Everspace 2 (Cloud and Xbox Series X|S)

GOING:
Leaving August 15:
Death Stranding (PC)
Edge of Eternity (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Midnight Fight Express (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Total War: Warhammer III (PC)

how would you play warhams on the xbawx?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Celeste is amazing and A Short Hike is a fun couple hours. Get 'em.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Tankbuster posted:

how would you play warhams on the xbawx?

Some gamepass games are PC-only, and Total War: Warhammer III is one of them. Same with Death Stranding, they can put it on PC gamepass but it's not on console gamepass.

Other odd situations like World of Horror (very cool indie horror game inspired by Junji Ito) being on Xbox game preview (for PC only lol) and leaving gamepass and then the final version being announced for consoles but skipping Xbox. Everyone will have a PC capable of running the game but it's unusual when stuff like that happens.

I think anyone that doesn't have a Switch and/or Steam Deck is missing out, though.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

SUNKOS posted:

This is also finally releasing on September 1st :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HKDfO51Ja4

loving hell, Jet Set Radio came out 23 years ago :psyduck:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Looking forward to Everspace 2

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

I think this started with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare back in 2007? Adding rpg mechanics with progression and unlocks to a multiplayer shooter was revolutionary at the time, as well as hugely appealing and enjoyable for players. I think that's where it initially began and tbh, at the time I think we all loved the hell out of it (and still do because BC COD games are still great fun to play) and why there weren't any complaints when other developers started to do the same thing.

I think there's an older genesis where Gungame for CS became a wildly popular mod.

e: not strictly the same, but that's where the seed takes root of people enjoying not having access to all the guns at the start.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm looking forward to finally playing Broforce. I've almost bought it a million times when I was in PS4.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Brofoooooooorce! :byodood:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beastie posted:

Looking forward to Everspace 2

I had fun with this game on PC! The one thing I didn't really vibe with was the space caves / ancient space station exploration, and tight spaces, along with the puzzles (but these were pretty light). Your mileage will vary though! It wasn't my thing, but lots of players loved these bits of Everspace 2.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm looking forward to finally playing Broforce. I've almost bought it a million times when I was in PS4.

It is a stupid as hell game in the best ways. I played the absolute hell out of it on Switch, so I'm excited for the additional content in Forever and it being on Gamepass means I can grab it for free

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I broke down and bought my kid Jedi: Survivor, so I guess now is when the countdown to it being on gamepass starts.
I heard it was a lot more difficult than Fallen Order, which is he replaying right now and pouting because I refused to arbitrarily spend $70 for him to have a new game. (So I got it from gamefly for $40 for his birthday). Anyone have struggles with it?

edit: Also, Lego Hobbit is $3 right now and Amazon has the Stellar Shift controller for $50. Go get that glorious thing. It's been my primary controller since I got it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

otter posted:

I broke down and bought my kid Jedi: Survivor, so I guess now is when the countdown to it being on gamepass starts.
I heard it was a lot more difficult than Fallen Order, which is he replaying right now and pouting because I refused to arbitrarily spend $70 for him to have a new game. (So I got it from gamefly for $40 for his birthday). Anyone have struggles with it?

Nah, it's genuinely about the same difficulty. There's a brief difficulty spike about 3/4ths of the way through where you temporarily play a different character that seems to throw people off but otherwise if they can play FO they can play JS.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

otter posted:

The countdown already started. It’s an EA game.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah once an EA game is like.. 8 months? old it gets put on the EA Play base tier which game pass gets..

So it's all about the waiting game baybeeee

Question about Xbox Play Anywhere games - if you buy one that isn't on game pass does it show up in your library in the Xbox app in windows?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Well, hopefully he gets to enjoy it before gamepass hits.
My sister got it and played it on her Series S and said she enjoyed it.

Hey Phil, if you're reading this, we really need the family gamepass plan.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Kins posted:

From my recollection even getting them to work on actual period accurate hardware is a pain in the rear end

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

drrockso20 posted:

From my recollection even getting them to work on actual period accurate hardware is a pain in the rear end

I remember back in the day getting through the installer without a fatal exception error could take a few tries.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Hey Xbox, where’s my goddamn dashboard update :frog:

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
This is awesome

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/08/microsoft-now-offers-xbox-controller-parts-manuals-and-video-repair-guides/

Can buy the parts needed to repair your elite or regular controller now, and in particular the board that generally contributes to strick drift. Video instructions available too

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

hanyolo posted:

This is awesome

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/08/microsoft-now-offers-xbox-controller-parts-manuals-and-video-repair-guides/

Can buy the parts needed to repair your elite or regular controller now, and in particular the board that generally contributes to strick drift. Video instructions available too

I took a three year warranty for an instant replacement for mine, it was only around £20 extra. Already had to take it in once.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Crafty posted:

Hey Xbox, where’s my goddamn dashboard update :frog:

I rebooted my console twice and still nothing. :mad:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I am also forgotten by Phil.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Sorry guys only Phil's best pals get it :smug:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

We Love Katamari Reroll is really good. I wonder if Beautiful Katamari will be remastered next? I know it's available via BC (and online still works!) but it seems like the logical conclusion rather than stopping after just the first two. Really hoping that this is building towards an entirely new game in the franchise as well. Obviously Keita won't be involved but I don't think that harmed Beautiful Katamari or Katamari Forever (those mobile spin-offs are apparently terrible though) and we're long overdue a new game since current gen consoles could give us so much stuff to roll up :swoon:

Also thanks to the person who originally brought up Lords of the Fallen earlier in the thread because I've had a bit of an itch for a particular type of game and they give no fucks about their inspiration here:

I think Ludwig would like his holy blade back. Still cautiously optimistic rather than outright pumped for the game but everything they've shown makes me think that it will at the very least be good, especially with that interesting dual worlds mechanic. They've just shown a new boss fight (of course they all have two stages) and while there's certainly things to nitpick in this gameplay at the end of the day it does just look fun and running at a solid 60fps earns them bonus points. Fans of the Exorcist spider walk scene and freaky tentacles will enjoy the second form and I like how weighty it generally comes across with the Tekken-style ground destruction and sound effects for big blows, but other stuff (e.g. those spear things that are thrown) are bizarrely quiet and looks like throwing toothpicks, which is odd since the sound design is generally really good imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=busjqeIyXRY

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm interested in the new LOTF game. The first one was bunk but they got WAY better at making games since then. Surge 2 was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

xbox

it stays winning

https://twitter.com/discord/status/1686754917279780864