Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I unlocked a stylist in Pikmin 4; he still does not let me dye my dog. 0/10 garbage game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

How is Pikmin 4 overall? I never played the others, but it looks fun and cute

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

grittyreboot posted:

How is Pikmin 4 overall? I never played the others, but it looks fun and cute

It's really good and genuinely probably the best entry point into the series. It's had a ton of QOL changes, and while I feel like it's a tad on the easy side coming from the older games, a lot of that is because you're rarely ever fighting the controls or anything. I've never had pikmin die because I mis-aimed by a pixel, thanks to the lock-on for example. I'd suggest trying the demo and if you like it, go for it. And if you want more pikmin after 4, there's three others worth trying.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The game being so smooth to control means they can make it even more psychologically damaging when any of your Pikmin die and you realize they're RTS chaff soldiers that can be killed in combat.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I didn't think Deacon was super un PC or a manly man. If anything I thought he was a little bit to much of a navel gazer.

RenegadeStyle1 has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Jul 29, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I didn't think Deacon was super un PC or a manly man. If anything I thought he was a little bit to much of a naval gazer.

the seas call to us all my friend

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I recently beat Ys 8 and I can actually really recommend it, especially if you have PSPass and you're in the mood for a 'refreshing' JRPG. It's midbudget, being a PSVita port/remaster, but it has a lot of heart to it and the actual gameplay is also quite swift because it's action combat where little enemies go down to one or two big hits.

The one little thing bringing it down is knockdown times. There's some enemy attacks that will knock you down. There's no real way of knowing which ones will knock you and which will just do some damage.

Normally if one of your party members is hit by a status effect, no biggie, just press the button to instantly switch to someone else while they walk it off!
Not knockdown! It can be multiple seconds before you get up and you just have to watch your character get pounded on.

In a more slow-paced careful game this might be reasonable but Ys 8 is a game about running really fast in wild landscapes, beating up baddies and listening to guitar/synth metal (that's literally the opening zone's theme) so breaking up that flow by getting slammed down for multiple seconds of zero gameplay sucks.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I didn't think Deacon was super un PC or a manly man. If anything I thought he was a little bit to much of a navel gazer.

He spends half the game crying over his missing wife and talking to a monument he made for her, everyone around him tells him to move on but ol' Deacon is having none of that.

I would call him a wife-guy.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Splicer posted:

One of the biggest mental shifts is that you're not required and often shouldn't make certain decisions as soon as they're offered. You start with three blueprint draws available at the start of every run but outside of a few gimmes there no need to pick any immediately. You also have three initial orders to fulfill but again there's no need to pick them immediately. Open the first blueprint, see your options, close it, open the first order, see your options, close it, start developing with those in mind. Get a draw with a large camp? Get a trader down and push for a large glade to see if it's got a large node in it. Same for cornerstones, if you can't leverage either option yet there's no penalty to waiting and seeing.

The other thing is that there's massive redundancy built into the supply chains so there's very few hard lockouts if you do pick "wrong". Flour -> pie/biscuits is honestly the biggest one.

E; also any time you're picking a cornerstone or blueprint or similar the little picture of vegetables in the top left tells your what kinds of resources are on the map type.

I think the main problem I have with the randomness now is how you have to choose an option before you can see your other options. You can see your first order and your first building, but you start with 3 of each and can't see the remaining ones until you pick the first. So it puts pressure on you to choose early so you can run through the other options. Some buildings and orders are really good to get early and you don't want to miss out on them because you weren't sure what you should take from your first option.

But this is also alleviated by the meta-progression. I now start with all 3 types of building materials (cloth, lumber, brick), which reduces pressure to choose buildings early in case I end up picking a building that makes those more efficiently. I also start off with more stuff, food especially, which provides a buffer where I can just sit back on my existing resources while gathering more info. And perhaps the biggest difference is I can start off with various materials that allow me to solve a wide variety of glade events OR trade/rush the things I need. Which then means I can go ahead and expand faster and more safely, speeding up the rate I gather the information I need to make informed choices and almost eliminating the need to use building choices specifically on solving the first event I find. I even have the ability to see which glade contains the closest fertile soil or geyser depending on what races I have. The additional stuff you get really ups your ability to deal with the randomness in a more fun way.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Jul 30, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm sick of janky AssCreed stealth missions. I've been at the same plot quest in Black Flag for probably five days now, it's a whole set of maybe ten instafail stealth sequences to get through with groups of enemies designed to sit around waiting half the time. I'm sick of doing them, only to gently caress up or fail because the knock out button doesn't quite trigger and I jump into combat yet again.

It's not even that long in total if you could just go straight through it, but I've been in a cycle of trying half a dozen times and going "gently caress this, I'll play something else" for almost a week. I know, best practice in this game is to just go off and do pirate stuff, but I keep running into things gated behind story progress and that's getting old too.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What psycho keeps putting stealth missions in games

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

What psycho keeps putting stealth missions in games

The same ones who put sewer levels in games

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Leal posted:

it's ok as long as it's meta and the characters acknowledge that sewers levels are no fun and no one wants to play them ever!

it's like putting giant rats in as your level 1 quest and then the protagonist is like "omg it's really giant rats!"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm sick of janky AssCreed stealth missions. I've been at the same plot quest in Black Flag for probably five days now, it's a whole set of maybe ten instafail stealth sequences to get through with groups of enemies designed to sit around waiting half the time. I'm sick of doing them, only to gently caress up or fail because the knock out button doesn't quite trigger and I jump into combat yet again.

It's not even that long in total if you could just go straight through it, but I've been in a cycle of trying half a dozen times and going "gently caress this, I'll play something else" for almost a week. I know, best practice in this game is to just go off and do pirate stuff, but I keep running into things gated behind story progress and that's getting old too.

I could be causing you even more pain here but I feel like i remember the beserk darts not breaking stealth? So whoever you hit would run off to get killed and not be in the way anymore?

I may be misremembering though, i just remember beserk darts being wildly useful

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

I could be causing you even more pain here but I feel like i remember the beserk darts not breaking stealth? So whoever you hit would run off to get killed and not be in the way anymore?

I may be misremembering though, i just remember beserk darts being wildly useful

I figured there were probably some items I could be using to help out, but I don't have anything beyond smoke bombs. I just haven't really seen anything at all in the game telling me what new equipment might be available or pointing me towards it, I'll probably just try to get out of the mission and look up where to find some stuff like that.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Leal posted:

Random thought I just had is that while sewer levels are bad, sewers in levels are often a very nice addition.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Phigs posted:

Random thought I just had is that while sewer levels are bad, sewers in levels are often a very nice addition.

This guy Deusesxes

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

I figured there were probably some items I could be using to help out, but I don't have anything beyond smoke bombs. I just haven't really seen anything at all in the game telling me what new equipment might be available or pointing me towards it, I'll probably just try to get out of the mission and look up where to find some stuff like that.

Yeah that may help i dont know what the darts are gated behind unfortunately, been a long time and it may actually be a stealth mission though so oof.

The darts are really helpful but i remember being stunned that the tranq dart was less useful when stealthing than the berserk because beserk could get up to two enemies removed without triggering an alarm (somehow?!)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This is the bit I think of whenever someone talks about sewer levels (spoilers they can be good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqrjYUzH5fg&t=210s

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Aug 1, 2023

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I don't actually hate sewer levels. Ice levels can gently caress right off tho

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Wind Waker is one of my favourite games of all time but whoever put the Forsaken Fortress forced stealth mission at the very beginning of the game needs to be pistolwhipped. Especially since every part of the area looks the same.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

bewilderment posted:

The one little thing bringing it down is knockdown times. There's some enemy attacks that will knock you down. There's no real way of knowing which ones will knock you and which will just do some damage.

Yeah I basically controlled the noble redhead lady the whole way through because she has that instant directional rapier charge that means you're basically always charging in, flanking something or getting the gently caress gone at 160mph and never really running normally within enemy range. It's a JRPG with Cap's goddamn Charging Star from MvC2, it rules.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im playing final fantasy x for the first time and i can see why people love it so much and im enjoying it but in the spirit of complaining on the internet i have to say i do not enjoy the way the environments are built so that they have to shift perspective while you are running through areas. it feels like they put a lot of work into creating the environments to look as good as possible with the limitations of the ps2 in mind but its annoyingly jarring to have the minimap not have any indication that the camera position is about to shift drastically. islander john dimaggio probably is problematic but its cool playing a final fantasy game that takes place in a more pasifika coded location rather than the earlier more generic fantasy locations

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Leal posted:

Look buddy we need a level three by next week and we don't have time to create unique environment assets. Just paste together a bunch of tunnels, put some pipes in and include some kind of water level raising or lowering puzzle. Boom, done.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Necrothatcher posted:

some kind of water level raising or lowering puzzle

This is the real thing that everyone hates.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

islander john dimaggio probably is problematic

One of the themes of FF10 is ethno-religious discrimination. Coming off as problematic was intentional.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think they’re specifically referring to the voice itself being a white guy doing a fantasy not-Hawaiian voice, not Wakka’s whole deal about hating Al Bhed because god told him to and also he blames them and their machina for his brother’s death

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Morpheus posted:

This is the real thing that everyone hates.

Also if your walking speed slows down in ankle height water. I'm about to hit a giant sentient poo poo slime with a sword made from the teeth of dragons and the bones of giants, we don't need to immerse ourselves in the environment by making them run slower through liquid. You're gonna make the MC a messiah allegory by the end, let them walk on water early

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kazil posted:

it's ok as long as it's meta and the characters acknowledge that sewers levels are no fun and no one wants to play them ever!

it's like putting giant rats in as your level 1 quest and then the protagonist is like "omg it's really giant rats!"
...i like fighting giant rats...

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Still not really sure how to feel about Hades putting the giant rats at the end

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's a subterranean subversion!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I don't know, I kind of like the subtle through line that the gods just can't gently caress with mortal stuff. Like yeah, smashing skeletons and hydras is no big deal but these rats are a problem. Same thing for fish, you can sell off cosmic void jellyfish and misshapen lost souls and living globs of primordial essence but the real hot ticket items in Hades' kitchen are trout and salmon.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

it’s the small rat you really have to worry about

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Makes sense, if you're going down into an early dungeon to fight giant rats then they'd be close to the surface. Zagreus just did the dungeon in reverse and the final boss has to catch him before he leaves

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

Yeah that may help i dont know what the darts are gated behind unfortunately, been a long time and it may actually be a stealth mission though so oof.

The darts are really helpful but i remember being stunned that the tranq dart was less useful when stealthing than the berserk because beserk could get up to two enemies removed without triggering an alarm (somehow?!)

So I finally decided to just push on through and complete the dang mission no matter what, and the reward....those blowdarts :v:

That's good, I'm glad to have them, but it would've been a lot nicer to say up front "there's a lot of dudes you're gonna have to get through...maybe this'll help you out".

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Metroid Prime Remaster:

The game shows its age most in that the world is broken into long linear levels with few shortcuts and no real hubs. We really do owe the Soul series for improving the art of backtracking.

There's also no in-game checklist for tanks, missiles, and power bombs collected despite that being a thing in the last two metroid releases.

Also, this game turns into garbage in the mines.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Aug 1, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Did we play the same game dude

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The mines are pretty bad, to be fair.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bussamove posted:

The mines are pretty bad, to be fair.

I dunno, I've never had an issue with them personally. Each of the beam pirates are easy to dispatch either through beam combos, stunlocking, or plasma beam just making GBS threads out damage. The elite pirates don't actually do much but slowly walk around holding their hand up while you missile them, and the closest thing to a threat in there is that one invisible drone and the morphball maze after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

A lot of the bosses in Remnant 2 are reminding me of a complaint I had with Noita - they tend to kill you so instantaneously that you don't even have a chance to be stressed out about being low on health and near death, ironically making the game less intense in a way. It makes me appreciate how tightly tuned fromsoft games are, where the bosses hit hard but leave you alive to try to heal, which leads to you starting to panic as your resources dwindle and you see your impending death approaching. Meanwhile Remnant is just splat, dead, respawn. I've upgraded the capacity of my estus-equivalent a bunch but I don't know what the point is because I hardly ever survive hits to actually use it.

On the other hand, enemy placements outside of boss fights are almost too fair and honest. They're almost all placed out in the open in the middle of clear, combat-appropriate arenas, so you get to start every fight on your terms. It starts to get a bit too routine and predictable. I need Miyazaki to slide in there and stick a few skeletons around blind corners to keep me on my toes and force me to improvise more.