Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Khanstant posted:

An adventure spell that turns into a land? Invalid, broken, or bad?
There's probably space for a "Search your Library for a Basic Land and put into your hand" // "When {X} enters the battlefield you may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield."
Not quite what you asked, and probably nothing above Common mana fixing unless you do something like change the word "Basic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It really depends on what the spell/land do. We've had a fair number of cards that are effectively half land/half spell, and some are bad and some are eternal staples.

e: if the land comes in untapped, it doesn't matter what the spell is, it's probably busted.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 1, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Dr. Stab posted:

It really depends on what the spell/land do. We've had a fair number of cards that are effectively half land/half spell, and some are bad and some are eternal staples.

Especially what the land can do. The ones that can bolt to enter untapped are staples everywhere. And the ones that always enter untapped are seen almost nowhere, since rotation.
Actually I think the best example is Jwari vs. Censor, which have the same "front". Cycle 1 is considered a better upside then "be a tapland".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LGD posted:

e:

the issue is that the loop cannibalizes your draw steps, so without something else at work you're stuck with the resources you had at the beginning of the loop and can't use any of those infinite land drops - you don't necessarily have the sort of winning inevitability many infinite turn loops do or the near inevitability of something like Tivit + Time Sieve

it may not matter much in practice though so long as you're not trying to turbo it out, there are definitely plenty of ways to generate value each cycle, and any sufficiently evasive threat or sufficiently large River Song at the start of the loop makes it a win - but you do need to take those additional things into account

Eh, River's in the two colors that probably mitigate the "Cannibalizes your draw step" aspect of the combo the best. Black may be better than Red, but I think Red has more variety in what it can do for card draw.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Hey quick rulings question. Pioneer humans against uw control. I have Adeline, and coppercoat vanguard on board, attacking for lethal and they have 4 open mana.

I say go to attackers and swing all, and as I take a breath to say Adeline trigger they say I flash in emperor.

I had brave the elements so it didn't matter but does priority pass between turning guys sideways and the trigger on the stack or did my opponent jump the gun? It was better for me that he flashed WE in early because the token wasn't created yet so it could still go either at face or at WE. I would have thought that they could have responded to the token creation trigger but not between.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Why does that play not work with them simply responding to the trigger? Adeline doesn't target; you pick what the token is attacking when the ability resolves.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

MasterBuilder posted:

Hey quick rulings question. Pioneer humans against uw control. I have Adeline, and coppercoat vanguard on board, attacking for lethal and they have 4 open mana.

I say go to attackers and swing all, and as I take a breath to say Adeline trigger they say I flash in emperor.

I had brave the elements so it didn't matter but does priority pass between turning guys sideways and the trigger on the stack or did my opponent jump the gun? It was better for me that he flashed WE in early because the token wasn't created yet so it could still go either at face or at WE. I would have thought that they could have responded to the token creation trigger but not between.

No, if you've moved to the declare attackers step, declaring attackers doesn't use the stack, any triggers happen, and then the attacking player gets priority.

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Declare_attackers_step

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Stab posted:

Why does that play not work with them simply responding to the trigger? Adeline doesn't target; you pick what the token is attacking when the ability resolves.

Sorry if the question wasn't clear but my question was if there was a window between saying attack and the Adeline trigger going on the stack.

Saucer Crab posted:

No, if you've moved to the declare attackers step, declaring attackers doesn't use the stack, any triggers happen, and then the attacking player gets priority.

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Declare_attackers_step

Cool thanks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Essentially, the trigger is on the stack regardless of whether you get the chance to say that it exists or not. If you say "I'm attacking with these things" and your opponent butts in with "okay, I'll <do something>", then unless they say otherwise it's assumed they're acting at the first possible moment after your attack, and your trigger will resolve after they do their stuff.

Unless you completely forget about mentioning it before letting your opponent go to blocks. If you do that then your trigger vanishes into the wind as though it had never triggered in the first place.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I did a ton of CMM drafting last weekend, the cost was quite steep but I walked away with plenty of value in cards. On Friday they tried giving folks packs to "trade away" during the game for favors or whatever, but it didn't really work out the way they wanted so Saturday they switched to "pack per kill."

On my first Saturday draft, I brought down the entire table and walked away with 5 packs. The table was control->control-> Selesnya Aggro -> me, Rakdos Aggro. So the Selesnya player kept getting countered because he kept playing the scariest thing, my stuff landed safely. After I got the first kill the other two players tried, and failed, to make a deal. Seemed like it would've been real easy for the Selesnya guy to promise a pack in exchange for 3, but they didn't get any agreement and I killed them both the next turn. Third draft I did fine but was the first out. I was still high on cracking 5 packs for ~150 in value, couldn't think straight.

My advice for drafting would be two commanders are almost always better than 1. I got a multicolor commander that covered 2 colors that ended up being expensive and useless, going for a cheap white card and the Prismatic Piper would have gone much more smoothly.

Signed up for 1 more draft, LGS near me is doing a CMM draft for $35 dollars. Which is less than the packs alone would cost? But it works for me!

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

JawnV6 posted:

My advice for drafting would be two commanders are almost always better than 1. I got a multicolor commander that covered 2 colors that ended up being expensive and useless, going for a cheap white card and the Prismatic Piper would have gone much more smoothly.
Bears repeating that for CMM as well there are special draft rules.

quote:

Commander Masters has a unique addition only for the Draft environment: only during Commander Masters Commander Draft, all colorless and monocolored Legendary Creatures, as well as monocolored Planeswalkers that can be your commander, have the Partner ability.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Partner is broken (an extra card in hand always is), so it comes as no surprise that that's also the best thing to do in Draft.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7262051748439772422

Apparently the dude that opened the Serialized One Ring posted the TikTok vid of him having it in sleeve.

Next vid on his profile is him selling it to Posty for like 2.6 mill American.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7262497951493377285

Warning loud music in the video him meeting up with Post. He waited a long while after everything was done. Good for him, that's pretty smart.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

We really went from RL cards as "priceless treasures" to a $2.5M meet&greet with Post Malone inserted into a booster lmao

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Katana Gomai posted:

We really went from RL cards as "priceless treasures" to a $2.5M meet&greet with Post Malone inserted into a booster lmao

Even better than that - a $2.5M that they didn't have to put a dime towards.

Honestly good for everyone involved. Post earning if he didn't already have the title of Wizard's greatest whale.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I feel like it could have gone for more at auction, I'm shocked it was a private sale.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Post is a cool dude, even if his music isn't my scene. I'd sell it to him just to be able to chill and play some games with him. I'd rather sell it to John Darnielle and hang out with him, but I doubt he gives a gently caress about that card

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'd sell to Post just because I'd trust him to actually pay. I feel like anyone else offering for this card would just be a scammy, fake escrow, lawsuit nightmare.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

I feel like it could have gone for more at auction, I'm shocked it was a private sale.

That just seems ripe for scams and people putting in prank bids. I think the person who pulled it had the right idea, lawyer up and let the lawyers work out the details.

Besides, if it went to auction, you could end up with someone like Logan Paul getting it, or at least trying to buy it with his cryptobucks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For something of that value you'd be dealing with Sotheby's or Christie's or some other big auction house, you're not gonna get stiffed on the check at the end.

Of course you would be gambling that the final going price doesn't just beat Post's offer, it beats it by enough to absorb all the fees you're paying to have some professionals handle the auctioning for you.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
He didn’t sell it for $2.6m, and you can make sure you laugh at any major personalities posting news articles or engagement bait saying he did because they did no research into that number at all.

The guy who said $2.6m made it up and admitted he made it up.

https://twitter.com/joemunnshk/status/1686716939299659776?s=46&t=kXAZ-Qb3z8RBvF6h7SysbQ

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... but he did sell it to Post, right? I mean, at the end of the day, that it was sold in a direct sale and not through an auction house is the main point of contention, not the final price tag.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
There's literally video footage of Post holding the card and hugging the dude so ???

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Framboise posted:

There's literally video footage of Post holding the card and hugging the dude so ???

What if he was just really excited to experience seeing it?????

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Assuming there isn't a legal compulsion to disclose it, nobody in the world would find out what I sold that card for outside my lawyer and my accountant.

I wouldn't have put my face in the video without getting paid to do so.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Randalor posted:

... but he did sell it to Post, right? I mean, at the end of the day, that it was sold in a direct sale and not through an auction house is the main point of contention, not the final price tag.

Framboise posted:

I don't think they are responding to the conversation as a whole, just the 2.6m part. Doesn't say anything about it not being sold to Post, and doesn't mention Post at all.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Huxley posted:

Assuming there isn't a legal compulsion to disclose it, nobody in the world would find out what I sold that card for outside my lawyer and my accountant.

I wouldn't have put my face in the video without getting paid to do so.

The Canadian government will also know eventually.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

I don't think they are responding to the conversation as a whole, just the 2.6m part. Doesn't say anything about it not being sold to Post, and doesn't mention Post at all.

Yes, right. The $2.6m was posted on the seller’s original TikTok in the comments by a random dude, who made it up, and admitted to making it up in the same comment section.

It still got sold to Post. But not for 2.6m, and influencers like SaffronOlive etc. tripping over themselves to post an article/tweet about it before checking is just funny to me.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Everything about this is degenerate and irritating and I actively wish I didn't know anything about it.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Katana Gomai posted:

Everything about this is degenerate and irritating and I actively wish I didn't know anything about it.

How long can thread titles be again

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Yeah, it’s so degenerate and hosed and irritating that the retail worker’s life is changed forever, EVERYTHING about this is so bad 🙄

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
drat got ‘em

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, it’s so degenerate and hosed and irritating that the retail worker’s life is changed forever, EVERYTHING about this is so bad 🙄

Lol cmon dude. You know that compared to this single guy there were over a thousand others who spent money they didn’t have chasing it to their detriment.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

TotalHell posted:

How long can thread titles be again

Not an empty quote.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Lotteries suck rear end dude, lotteries with $60 buy-ins even moreso

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol cmon dude. You know that compared to this single guy there were over a thousand others who spent money they didn’t have chasing it to their detriment.

Yes, Gambling is bad. Wizards incentivizing that gambling is bad.

But sitting here and being miserable about the fact that the person who did open it was in fact just a regular dude (not a shop opening thousands of packs) and sold it for a fuckload of money that will change his life is just nothing. Be mad at Wizards, not this guy for being the lottery winner.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The fact that Wizards can at any time slap a $2 million dollar card into a pack is proof that this poo poo needs to be regulated already

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Yes, Gambling is bad. Wizards incentivizing that gambling is bad.

But sitting here and being miserable about the fact that the person who did open it was in fact just a regular dude (not a shop opening thousands of packs) and sold it for a fuckload of money that will change his life is just nothing. Be mad at Wizards, not this guy for being the lottery winner.

You sure you’re not completely misreading the intent of that guy’s post dude

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Goons absolutely hate rereading something a couple times and thinking "is there another, more charitable way I can interpret this?" before going nuclear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

The fact that Wizards can at any time slap a $2 million dollar card into a pack is proof that this poo poo needs to be regulated already

It's frustrating it hasn't been all along. Packs are gambling. Draft packs have the weakest argument to stand on for it being something like a game piece, but everything else has none.