Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/esjesjesj/status/1686151545132392448?t=LOnJ-gn1rRHB3xQKR_HMVw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

my brain is so big it hurts, but that's ok

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

did he actually say this because I searched and I haven't found it. I'd be really disappointed if he didnt plow forward with the x rebranding, its one of those great bad ideas that would be so cool to be stubborn about.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

god drat no kidding

and yet he won't support MY gender affirming surgeries

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Louisgod posted:

three body problem loving sucks

Good god it does it - I pushed through because it had won the Hugo and got all this buzz and it felt like a practical joke when it got to the end with the aliens.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Tell me your parents abused quaaludes without...

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

did he actually say this because I searched and I haven't found it. I'd be really disappointed if he didnt plow forward with the x rebranding, its one of those great bad ideas that would be so cool to be stubborn about.

no

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Spergin Morlock posted:

my brain is so big it hurts, but that's ok

I'll keep thinking that garbage

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Lol at the 9hr btw tweets

this is the most unhinged part of the whole thing who goes back 9 hours later with an addendum on a loving lovely meme tweet

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

haha AI haha dogecoin

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

elon say 🤣 dogecoin #dogecoin

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

posted:

haha AI haha dogecoin

great meme im gonna be reposting!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Good god it does it - I pushed through because it had won the Hugo and got all this buzz and it felt like a practical joke when it got to the end with the aliens.

I really liked the 3 Body Problem Trilogy but I do feel the first book is a slog and doesn't get into the interesting weird space/alien/dimension stuff until the next book, The Dark Forest.
The end of The 3 Body Problem just kind of leaves you hanging.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

UFOTacoMan posted:

I really liked the 3 Body Problem Trilogy but I do feel the first book is a slog and doesn't get into the interesting weird space/alien/dimension stuff until the next book, The Dark Forest.

I had read about some of the cool concepts in the later books but when the first book ended with what I can only describe as 50s style pulp aliens I had no interest in going further. I was expecting something truly alien and disturbing like the scramblers from Blindsight and they're just some guys with reflective skin and better technology. Also thought that tease that physics was actually hosed up more interesting than "oh aliens used a magic probe to gently caress up our measurements".

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I had read about some of the cool concepts in the later books but when the first book ended with what I can only describe as 50s style pulp aliens I had no interest in going further. I was expecting something truly alien and disturbing like the scramblers from Blindsight and they're just some guys with reflective skin and better technology. Also thought that tease that physics was actually hosed up more interesting than "oh aliens used a magic probe to gently caress up our measurements".
The scramblers and resurrected vampires are two of the best creature concepts ever. There's something so cold and ruthless about the reality of them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Imagine being so rich you never outgrow the solipsism of a 5 year old.

Oh wait you can't because only I have an internal mental state.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
You, mundane fool: "What should I have for lunch?"
Me, tortured genius: "What if I covered up part of a t-shirt to look like it says 'ANAL'? What if I wrote 69 on something? What if I legally changed my name to X?"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that would be funny if he changed his name and made everyone use it

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

ADHD

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

this man is attaining a level of cringe powerful enough to rocket him all the way to Mars

nine hours later

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Will he hire Mater the tow truck to be his next X CEO?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

phlebas is pretty mid and shouldn't be listed as the "first" culture novel imo because it benefits from having read some of the others, I loved Player of Games and Use of Weapons though

what is the first then

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

WrasslorMonkey posted:

nine hours later

tossing and turning in bed all night until you finally have come up with the perfect response.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Louisgod posted:

tossing and turning in bed all night until you finally have come up with the perfect response.

"Haha that would sickkk"

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Louisgod posted:

[wakes up in bed filled with empty cans of caffeine free diet coke and still wearing shoes][the bed is actually a conference room table]: GROIMES EE HAVE THE- GROIMES?!

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

don't lump that fucktard in with us, if he was adhd then all those uppers he takes would calm him down and make him actually do some work instead of whatever the gently caress he does. whenever I tried cocaine I was so confused cause it didn't make me euphoric or any of those effects, just made me clean my apartment finally

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

shyduck posted:

[wakes up in bed filled with empty cans of caffeine free diet coke and still wearing shoes][the bed is actually a conference room table]: GROIMES EE HAVE THE- GROIMES?!

lol

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

ex post facho posted:

what is the first then

Phlebas is the first, obviously, but if I'm introducing someone to the series I point them to Player of Games first

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/wegovy-weight-loss-injection-used-230300112.html

quote:

Last October, Musk was asked by a Twitter user on the platform what his secret was to looking "fit, ripped, and healthy" to which he replied "fasting" and "Wegovy".

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/philadelphia/news/weight-loss-drugs-wegovy-ozempic-stomach-paralysis/

quote:

Doctors are raising the alarm for those taking Ozempic and Wegovy for weight loss and diabetes after seeing some cases of stomach paralysis in patients who took the popular medications. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has gotten similar reports.

Some doctors are concerned the drugs may cause or exacerbate stomach paralysis in some patients, which can lead to excessive vomiting.

That’d be a shame if he had stomach paralysis. real shame.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

He doesn't know/understand that people have ideas all the time, they just don't say them because they're not loving stupid.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

the vomiting is a feature

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

my internal mental torture is high

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

UFOTacoMan posted:

Ya, but Dark Forest has that weird subplot where Luo Ji makes the government go out and bring him his perfect waifu

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

tfw you have to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune uwu

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Maed posted:

don't lump that fucktard in with us, if he was adhd then all those uppers he takes would calm him down and make him actually do some work instead of whatever the gently caress he does. whenever I tried cocaine I was so confused cause it didn't make me euphoric or any of those effects, just made me clean my apartment finally

same but in college with adderall. "take a few of these and you'll be able to cram studying all night" actually, preston, I can study because my mind has stopped cycling down through my to-do list like the loving wheel from the price is right. im gonna go get these for half your price from the student med center instead

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

When I was 5 or 6 I thought I was insane, but I'm 52 and very rich, but also still insane

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

shirts and skins posted:

Phlebas is the first, obviously, but if I'm introducing someone to the series I point them to Player of Games first

It's this. Use Of Weapons may be another starting point, although the structure is probably confusing to some. The barges SpaceX use to capture their rockets are named after Culture ships, as is Gabe of Valve's deepsea submersible, Limiting Factor. I always liked ROU Killing Time for the double entendre.

It's like the Xeelee Sequence novels and how reading them in published order actually isn't great, since stuff gets fleshed out later that enables a better entry to the universe and fits together cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Elon is apparently anti-Adderall and calls it an "anger amplifier"