Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Exodor posted:

Olivares is a great bat but as an outfielder he makes a great DH. Dude is straight garbage in the field.

That's basically Velazquez's profile only slightly less garbage in the OF, so enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Forrest on Fire posted:

If he starts bunting they should fire the hitting coach into the sun lol

varsho for the love of god please bunt if it means the jays godawful hitting coach is jettisoned

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Redeye Flight posted:

What's the Twins' best options right now? I'm a fairly casual baseball fan, I don't know what other teams' prospects and possible trade options look like, or to comprehend what the Twins could offer up when everything seems to be breaking.

Edit: That and I'm an emotional idiot who struggles to comprehend trading any of "our guys" even though objectively I know some of them are NOT worth keeping.

Rickiep00h hit many of the main, big picture points. Gleeman absolutely nailed the trade deadline last year, and usually has been on point before that. The one caveat being he always says they need one more reliever, and outside Fulmer last year, they almost always come up short. I say all that, because I think he's spot on with what they'll do this year.

The belief is the Twins will add complimentary pieces, rather than swing big for anyone. There aren't many big bats available, anyway. The lineup is, as mentioned above, lefty heavy, especially in the outfield and 1B. Unsurprisingly, they struggle against even the worst of left handed pitchers.

The next trade coming will probably be for a platoon right handed corner outfielder who has a history of mashing lefties. This is a pretty fungible commodity. Mark Canha doesn't quite fit that bill (his bat is more neutral, rather than a true LH pitching punisher), but the return for him should be similar. So the Twins would be parting with some pretty middling prospects to get this. Alternatively, if such a match exists, they could move a LH corner bat to balance with another competing team. That would help alleviate the roster crunch from aquiring someone. I don't see a young Major League guy moving in this case, unless the package balloons beyond just one player being aquired, so think Kepler. Gallo simply hasn't performed for him to have trade value, Kepler can start against righties just fine and comes with good/great defense.

Adam Duval and Tommy Pham are two names for this bucket, but again, it's not a hard asset to find. So it could be any of a litany of players based on who comes at the best price and/or does the job the best.

The next likliest get will be another RP. Possibly a lefty, since Thielbar and Moran both have questions, but probably a righty. The goal here isn't necessarily to pay a ton to get a top of the pen player, but rather someone to displace Pagan and their other middle relievers in the hierarchy. Someone you are comfortable pitching with a lead. Floro has already been added in hopes of doing this, but a similar wattage move would be prudent.

Cost on this could again be a LH corner guy (Kepler), or just lower end prospects.

In terms of assets to trade, the Twins have starters people want, but they are not going to get the returns to even make this a conversation. They are also buyers, not sellers. Don't expect them to trade away impending FAs just for the sake of it.

I believe the Twins farm is middle of the pack to below average, but mostly because they've graduated players. Unless you're looking at a stellar return, those graduates aren't getting moved either. To get a big return, even a high end reliever with multiple years of control, could take a top prospect. Lee probably is less likely to be moved than Emmanuel Rodriguez, so if something comes out of left field, watch for his name. However, the Twins took big cuts last trade deadline, and it was costly with little return. It seems unlikely to happen this year.

I've touched on them moving a LH bat in Kepler, but the other name that keeps coming up is Larnach. This is a hard one. He's back at AAA and seemingly passed by Wallner. He has control and upside teams would want, but they will be selling low on him. He could get them into a higher tier than Floro for relievers or RH bats that have more years of control. The former might end up looking like an overpay, and the latter will probably take some sweetening of the pot (given his mediocre numbers in the majors).

Any trade for a position player that doesn't move Kepler/clear a spot on the 26 man could be followed by DFAing Gallo to make room for the new arrival. The Twins can send down Winder for a reliever.

In summary: expect at least one platoon bat and hopefully one more reliever, with Kepler/Larnach being the guys with MLB experience potentially moved, otherwise lower end prospects. The Twins can be creative, so don't totally discount something big out of nowhere, but the public comments don't make that sound plausible. Apologies for length.

Milovan Drecun fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 1, 2023

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
No need to apologize! I greatly appreciate the knowledge, and also how level-headed you can be about the whole thing. I know baseball makes me emotional and it helps to have other goons who are a little more anchored when I go off raving in despair.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Yay. I like Jeimer. Hopefully I never have to see Miles Mastrobuoni again.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

nelson was given a shot for the 4th outfielder job and lost it to a 32 year-old journeyman who last played in the KBO, on the other hand being in the park for the nelson slam was an extremely rare moment of personal joy for me in an absolute poo poo year so i will always root for him and hope he has a jorge soler caliber revival with the Royals.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

in case anyone wants a dumb trade deadline countdown clock: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20230801T18&p0=179&msg=Trade+Deadline&font=sanserif

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

nelson was given a shot for the 4th outfielder job and lost it to a 32 year-old journeyman who last played in the KBO, on the other hand being in the park for the nelson slam was an extremely rare moment of personal joy for me in an absolute poo poo year so i will always root for him and hope he has a jorge soler caliber revival with the Royals.

He got a shot last year when he was a rookie and still adjusting. This year Nelly got just 32 PA's over 13 games (in which he put up a .933 OPS, lol) and was then promptly banished to Iowa as soon as injuries cleared up. Tauchman got (and admittedly ran with) a shot because he's a lefty and slakes David's unquenchable thirst for journeyman AAAA guys over 30.

I don't mind a depth-for-depth trade in the context that Velasquez was hopelessly blocked, but I do think it's worth interrogating why the Cubs had seemingly already decided he was not going to stick around on the roster regardless of his performance.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
With today's loss, the Padres are now 0-10 in extra inning games and 6-23 in extra inning / one run games combined this season.

Lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ColdBlooded posted:

With today's loss, the Padres are now 0-10 in extra inning games and 6-23 in extra inning / one run games combined this season.

Lmao

When's the last season that both NLCS participants from the previous year didn't make the playoffs, because that's probably going to happen this year

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1686360263623131136?s=20

:pray:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If Bo is dead I'd be completely fine with the Jays missing the playoffs so that Ohtani can mash dingers in October.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So German is scratched from his start and then comes in for five innings of relief after Brito gets shelled? Were they gonna trade him or something?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

So German is scratched from his start and then comes in for five innings of relief after Brito gets shelled? Were they gonna trade him or something?

The yankees just do randomly do stuff like a non serious organization.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/cespedesbbq/status/1686365404954808321?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Gonna lol if the Angels are somehow the Verlander mystery team.

Both Grichuk and Cron both had productive debuts last night Reynaldo Lopez picked up a 5 out save against the top of the Braves lineup too. Chef Perry is cooking.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

They’re saying German simply had discomfort but was ok and cleared by 6 but by then they were already warming up Brito so 🤷‍♂️. If German was being pulled for the block I don’t know that it makes sense to change courses even if one particular deal fell through last night. But who knows?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
No idea but at least he came in and didn't get lit up and hurt whatever value people have on him

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I know it's August First today but since it's also trade deadline day I'm gonna wait until tonight/tomorrow morning to put up the next thread

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

No idea but at least he came in and didn't get lit up and hurt whatever value people have on him

If they trade him today I'm throwing a parade.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

would be cool if Stroman remembered how to pitch now that the Cubs are going for it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
The absolute crickets for German throwing a perfect game is sorta amazing.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Gorman Thomas posted:

I've seen the Braves, Padres and O's now also linked to JV in addition to the Astros & Dodgers. Looks like he will definitely be moved before the deadline today.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The absolute crickets for German throwing a perfect game is sorta amazing.

That's cause it didn't count remember

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Mets are just trying to drive up the price on JV cause the Dodgers and Astros aren’t caving. Isn’t the O’s GM notoriously tight fisted with prospects? And the Padres & Braves systems are cleaned out already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JV has a no-trade so he gets to pick his destination and there's probably only one place he really wants to go.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

bawfuls posted:

The Mets are just trying to drive up the price on JV cause the Dodgers and Astros aren’t caving. Isn’t the O’s GM notoriously tight fisted with prospects? And the Padres & Braves systems are cleaned out already.

Not really sure about Elias, but of course he was part of a very famous JV trade a few years ago. Sig Mejdal is apparently a prospect hoarder though

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Gorman Thomas posted:

Both Grichuk and Cron both had productive debuts last night Reynaldo Lopez picked up a 5 out save against the top of the Braves lineup too. Chef Perry is cooking.

This ship of Theseus rear end team keeps managing to stay afloat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which time zone is the deadline in

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

Which time zone is the deadline in

6 eastern

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I feel like if the Orioles are trading for pitching its gonna be someone controllable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Poque posted:

6 eastern

I thought it was noon for some reason. Deadlines should be at midnight or not at all!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1685078985502232576

Every so often, I ask the thread if Schneider is a good or bad manager, and the verdict is never clear. It is a mystery

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It'll be hilarious if it turns out to be Verlander but no way Angelos okays that one. I'm expecting Lorenzen if anyone, and maybe one more bullpen arm.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess teh question is whether the Os are feeling the pressure from everyone who was critical of them for not adding in the offseason. Now you're in first and a Championship run seems real doable. Do you just stick with your core and be confident they'll be good for a long time or do you go all in now before NY, Boston, and Toronto can fix their problems or the Central can get respectable?

Baltimore does seem like a good fit if its about prospects and not money. But maybe the Mets and writers just know that so are putting it out there. Who knows? Deadline day. 6 hours until the fun is all drowned out by complaining Yankee fans.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

zoux posted:

JV has a no-trade so he gets to pick his destination and there's probably only one place he really wants to go.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind being closer to home, but the Nationals are awful, so the Orioles are a decent option.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1686408892715249664

Well gently caress, congratulations to Baltimore.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

This m'fer just gonna get my hopes up and the Stros will end up w/ a Detroit SP as consolation prize.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

By all accounts Angelos is hard up to be the owner of a Nashville-based baseball team. Whether that’s after relocating the O’s or selling after his father dies and MLB granting him an expansion team is unclear. He doesn’t seem interested in spending, so I’d expect any trades this year or in the future to be prospect heavy to offset the trade partner covering salary.

Edit: This probably puts their GM in a tough spot because there are still trades out there to make, but the prospect cost is prohibitive to long term success.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

This m'fer just gonna get my hopes up and the Stros will end up w/ a Detroit SP as consolation prize.

Dude can you imagine MMP on his first home start back. I know it's probably a bad idea but I've talked myself into it because of The Narrative Implications.